Foam, bracing, and bluepoints

mike8693

Im using 3/4 inch foam (since the only 2 inch foam i can find in town is 35 bucks a sheet and i would need 4 :eek:) So i was wondering how much space would I be able to leave between braces so the foam won't bend? Would I be better to put a sheet of 1/2 plywood under it? I'm using 2x2's for bracing. My next question is that I have read that to mount tortises on foam to glue a 4x4 piece of masonite under it then attach it. Since blue points are smaller and lighter is this a must?

Last edited by a moderator:
With just 3/4" of foam, I would first mount 1/2" plywood with crossmembers on 12" centers. Such thin foam is not enough structural strength to support a layout witout underlayment.

You can use the same 1/2" plywood cut into squares to mount your switch machines. Since you only have 3/4" of foam to go through, the plywood will work fine. The masonite suggestion is where you have 2" of foam and you need something thin but strong to mount the tortise to so you don't get into a long throw situation.

3/4" foam....::shudder::

If you haven't made the purchase, go with the bigger stuff. Check a different store, you should be able to get 2" for $10-15 for a 4x8 sheet. Check around, sometimes the colors are white or blue or pink.

If you have, definitely use the underlayment. 3/4" will work, but it is very flexible, so make sure to glue all of your pieces together, this will also beef up the rigidity. I'm not sure about what glue is best for foam, but ask around.

Good Luck!

-Adam

WOW 10-15 bucks. I'll use plywood under it. I was trying to get around it but oh well guess i'll have to break out the jig saw. I covered glue wise, I love the blue foamboard glue from lowes, sets up quick, holds pretty strong right out of the tube, and cheap.

Back