You'd never think the zoo would be dangerous...

From the story's comments, it sounds like there have previous derailments and a history of running the train too fast. I don't know who regulates things like zoo trains since they are neither amusement park rides nor railroads. I guess OSHA would be the only regulating agency. I suspect that the zoo railraod may be undergoing an abandonment hearing soon.

In the last few years the zoo has received millions for a new expansions and part of it was for a second train station and a new fleet of engines and cars. The new track has broad curves and they dont come close to tipping, and the old sections of track (like where it flipped) are 15+ plus years and obviously couldn't cope with the increased speed. The old engines couldnt come close to tipping and would get stuck on the slightest grade in a light rain. You'd think that they would be able to set the top speed on zoo trains where operator error is less of possibility. I just find it surprising after the Old Indiana Fun Park incident there hasn't been major saftey precautions implemented.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, but I guess there's no one agency that regulates these types of operations. Unfortunately, OSHA is more apt to deal with injuries to employees rather than patrons. I'm assuming the ensuing lawsuits will cause some changes in operations.

I saw some video of the wreck today. The engine and all the cars were on their sides on the outside of what appears to be a pretty sharp curve. It sure looks it was going too fast to me. The Kentucky Department of Agriculture apparently regulates amusement park rides and the train fall under their regulations. Kind of an odd agency to regulate things like that but they are investigating to determine the cause.

Back