Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Halloween Everybody!

Washington (4-4) managed to pull off a win against the Colts. 17-16. It took ten unanswered points in the fourth quarter.

The 1pm games were not interesting. The Eagles manhandled the Steelers, and The Cowboys smoked the Bears.

The NFC East is back!

I did not miss anything in the Sunday Night game. I'm glad I went to bed on time.

Trick or Treat!

Last edited:
Well Happy Halloween there Internet peeps

I love how this time of year, half the teams in sportsball SUCK and everyone starts posting memes of "Dangit! Someone broke the window on my truck and left a set of (insert crappy team here) tickets on the dash.

Way back when I was working as a Newspaper Photographer, one thing I HATED was covering parades. If I missed the prize winning float (there were only about a dozen of those out of 50 or so) I was in deep doo-doo. So I had to get photos of EVERY float, and band, and well, skip the politicians. They were just evil, no matter which letter was after their name.

So what am I writing about in the current book?

Yep, a parade.

I'm waiting on Jaz to post some pics from her layout for inspiration. I know she's got a parade on there somewhere!

OK, back to wording the words.

Well Happy Halloween there Internet peeps

I love how this time of year, half the teams in sportsball SUCK and everyone starts posting memes of "Dangit! Someone broke the window on my truck and left a set of (insert crappy team here) tickets on the dash.

Way back when I was working as a Newspaper Photographer, one thing I HATED was covering parades. If I missed the prize winning float (there were only about a dozen of those out of 50 or so) I was in deep doo-doo. So I had to get photos of EVERY float, and band, and well, skip the politicians. They were just evil, no matter which letter was after their name.

So what am I writing about in the current book?

Yep, a parade.

I'm waiting on Jaz to post some pics from her layout for inspiration. I know she's got a parade on there somewhere!

OK, back to wording the words.
As a kid my sister was a battan twirler. Spell check is making that spelling worst. Anyway she twirled a little bar around with rubber capped ends. Parades or a twirling competition it seemed every other weekend, so I really learned to hate both but parades are the worst.

Troy, Have fun wording the words

Good morning all, 25° and mostly clear,

Curt - The tractor is an old style B John Deere, first made in 1935. They still run today.
- BEAUTIFUL dioramas
Jaz - I love your wood stoves. I used to have one just like the second one. I had a kitchen wood burner at one time, however was the original model with the water reservoir on one side

Louis - we do free TV (we call it Antenna TV) only at our house. If nothing is on, we read, talk, occasionally argue

George - the magnifying light looks like a great idea, I should buy one

Hughie - beautiful Shipyard brewery bldg. Esp. love the color scheme

Willie - re-arranging furniture? My wife would have a kitten if I went so far...

Speaking of Cats, I saw a white one hunting on the shoulder this morning, I wonder if that means anything

I heard the Vikings won again. I would celebrate, probably, it they win the superbowl. I am not making any bets, however

I did some more painting of figures, that sure is slow work

IMG_2789.JPG

Put the skin tone on the faces and hands, also used my blue where appropriate. Still lots to do!

Wife created this scene, I let her play with my train if she is good

IMG_2790.JPG

will be back later

Dave LASM

Good morning from the beginning of a nice day in Wisconsin.

I missed the Packer debacle, I watched instead a 90 minute movie about the Ronin on Netflix. Then I watched the 3rd period as the Toronto Maple Leaf self destructed, again. Cleaned up the workbench in the train room, temporarily added some fencing to the transload facility, drained the air compressor and shut off the power in the train room.

I am packed but not ready to head out for my golfing adventure with my brother. A 3 day member/guest thing that he with various friends over the last 35 years he has won 9 times, twice with me. This is a big gambling event for his club and players. For the last month or so I have been hitting lots and lots of balls on the simulator but not putting. Even when I was a decent putter (actually never) I could miss a 3’ putt by as much as a 25’ putt. No gambling ( I am an addicted gambler going on 29 years) for me but I will reap any team monetary benefits which could buy me lots of trains. I am doing this as the brother who used to play every day, the past 6 months has been taking care of his girl friend. She finished 16 chemo treatments last Thursday and she has been telling him to play for the last 2 months. November 16th she will have a double mascetomy and ovaries removed. So this should be a time to relax for the brother but competition is something he used to live for, we will see. His plane picks me up around 6pm tonight.

enjoy the day

New or upgraded refineries require a large investment in capital. A brand new refinery will take ten years to bring 100% on line. Oil companies are reluctant to make the investment required, if they are not going to get a sufficient return on their investment. When they are operating in an environment where the sitting president of the US is going to eliminate all fossil fuels within ten years, it is a waste of money to invest in new or upgraded refinerys. As existing refineries reach obsolescence or have major component failure, they will be shut down. I'm not a big fan of Big Oil, but they are caught between the rock and the government vise,and we feel the effects of the squeeze.

Yes. But this is not new. This lack of refinerybuilding or upgrades has been going on for a few decades in some places.

Good Morning All. Clear and 50°. Happy Halloween. Another picture perfect day for us with a high around 75° and a light breeze. Most of the next ten days are supposed to be the same except rain on Friday - same temperature though.

Despite the beautiful day outside yesterday, I ended up inside most of the day. Top off the dishwasher and ran and emptied it, two loads of laundry, burned the burn trash, (at least that was outdoors). I swapped two easy chairs in the living room and my wife didn't even notice, (or just didn't mention it), ran the Roomba vacuum, and cooked spare ribs for supper. I also made pea salad and Balsamic roasted Brussels Sprouts. All that with 1 1/2 hours for church, (20 minute ride each way). Wife came home in time for the Cowboy/Bear game and was no real help except for folding the clothes.
When I did go outside, I picked about a dozen tomatoes and split two 16" logs into 8 pieces. So far this season, I have not started a fire in the wood-burning heater and it's the last day of October. Most years, I need a fire 4-5 days in October and 15 days in November. However due to La Niña in the Pacific this year, we generally get a drier and warmer winter here in North Texas. Second year in a row. La Niña produces more rain and snow in the northern reaches of the states and southern Canada.

Thanks to all who commented on or reacted to yesterday's post.

Being that it was Sunday and due to doing so much indoors yesterday, I didn't get as far along as I wanted in the train shed as I wanted. But progress was still made. I finished out the kitchen portion of the diner, painting the windows and trim and touching up some other spots.
IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2309.JPG

IMG_2310.JPG
IMG_2311.JPG

I'm still not sure why everything that I photograph on the workbench has a red glow to it.
I ran a train or two just to stay in practice.

Tom O - I meant to thank you yesterday for the lead on Alkem.
I still don't mind taking my morning walk in the dark, most of the critters have settled down for the day. Of course I am not walking in the woods either. That makes a big difference. Traffic can be an issue depending on my time frame. But I can see the lights from over a mile away and I can be prepared. Besides many of them know that they might encounter me since we've been using the same road together for over 7 years. While still working, they would have seen me in the evening. Besides there isn't a lot of traffic. Depending on my time frame, I might not encounter any at all.
Curt - This is a tentative (rough) look at what I plan to do with the front of the diner.
IMG_2312.JPG

Hughie - The brewery is really an impressive structure.
Fantastic looking modules.

Everybody have a great Halloween and don't let the goblins get you.

The 1pm games were not interesting. The Eagles manhandled the Steelers,
Now Louis, come on. Any game in which the Stealers are manhandled is enjoyable and worth watching. I surprised myself, and actually cheered for the Eagles like long ago...it's also been many years since I spent Sunday watching football. I chose this game over the NJ Jets .,. Then I watched the (NJ) Giants look bad in Seattle. The evening was spent watching the Black Hawks lose to Minnesota in a Shootout 4-3.

BTW, Devils beat up on Columbus in a brilliant display of offence, 7 - 1, with 51 Shots on Goal.

Louis - we do free TV (we call it Antenna TV) only at our house. If nothing is on, we read, talk, occasionally argue
Dave, we also use streaming for TV. Samsung and ROKU both have dozens of free channels, on demand movies and shows. We also have some other free streaming services. In addition, we pay for a few streaming subscriptions to Netflix, HBO, and others.

For a total of 10 hours of show time over two days, I sold enough vehicles and pipe loads to pay for the table, my gas back and forth, and a total profit of $5.00.
Attendance was off this year and most vendors barely covered expenses.
With the economy worrying about inflation, most people were only buying what they had budgeted to buy.
I will have to reconsider going to the next train show as a vendor.

yeah I used to go to gun shows for my business (selling reloading machines and various accessories and stuff -- no licensed items) and when I got a $10 profit after all expenses on a show I stopped going. That was like 15 or 18 tears ago. I would previously clear a $100 or $200 in profits for a day and a half show (I wouldn't go Sundays so did the half day Friday and the Saturday).

I stayed in the business online until 2012 but since then just do it on the side for existing customer or their referrals and work the day job for someone else instead. Much better deal.

Despite the beautiful day outside yesterday, I ended up inside most of the day. Top off the dishwasher and ran and emptied it, two loads of laundry, burned the burn trash, (at least that was outdoors). I swapped two easy chairs in the living room and my wife didn't even notice, (or just didn't mention it), ran the Roomba vacuum, and cooked spare ribs for supper. I also made pea salad and Balsamic roasted Brussels Sprouts. All that with 1 1/2 hours for church, (20 minute ride each way). Wife came home in time for the Cowboy/Bear game and was no real help except for folding the clothes.

When I did go outside, I picked about a dozen tomatoes and split two 16" logs into 8 pieces. So far this season, I have not started a fire in the wood-burning heater and it's the last day of October. Most years, I need a fire 4-5 days in October and 15 days in November. However due to La Niña in the Pacific this year, we generally get a drier and warmer winter here in North Texas. Second year in a row. La Niña produces more rain and snow in the northern reaches of the states and southern Canada.

Willie, I would be hard pressed to get all that done in two days!

Well done young {at heart) man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back