Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Happy Halloween there Internet peeps

I love how this time of year, half the teams in sportsball SUCK and everyone starts posting memes of "Dangit! Someone broke the window on my truck and left a set of (insert crappy team here) tickets on the dash.

Way back when I was working as a Newspaper Photographer, one thing I HATED was covering parades. If I missed the prize winning float (there were only about a dozen of those out of 50 or so) I was in deep doo-doo. So I had to get photos of EVERY float, and band, and well, skip the politicians. They were just evil, no matter which letter was after their name.

So what am I writing about in the current book?

Yep, a parade.

I'm waiting on Jaz to post some pics from her layout for inspiration. I know she's got a parade on there somewhere!

OK, back to wording the words.
Wel parade is a bit iffy but is this close enough
0EFFDA94-E53A-477F-982A-97E5ABB1896A.jpeg
044882E5-27AB-4F70-B4B5-0683621E7A27.jpeg
BB26C44E-2CB0-4D6C-8734-E533C12C1887.jpeg
06668725-43D5-426A-A1F2-A96935016770.jpeg
DF9C8970-3508-4D71-9410-2C928E011356.jpeg

As someone who lived in the Indianapolis Metro area for 20+ years, you can have the Colts back.

Just pay off that !*$%@#$ stadium (the Hoosier Dome) that Indiana is STILL paying for.

with the exception of a few teams here and there, pro sports is the biggest racket in local and state poly tics. Indiana is currently paying for the old imploded HoosierDome, the convention center, parts of the fieldhouse, and Lucas Oil Stadium.

Naming Rights fees goes to the team, not to the people shelling out the $$$ to pay to build these colossuses
There is a lot more to it than the naming rights.

Is somebody bitter about being picked last in gym class? ;)

The one team that Minnesota had that was very much loved by most was the Minnesota North Stars Hockey team of my youth. I am not a sports fan but still could not believe it when they left Minnesota.
Thanks for the gift. While I used to follow the Dallas Stars and went to probably two dozen games, I stopped when ticket prices got too high. Parking was also getting ridiculous, but I figured out that I could park free at the DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) parking lot about 15 miles away and pay $5 for a round trip ticket to the game. They had trains every 15 minutes both ways. I actually could have ridden free since no one ever checked to see if you had a ticket. Never saw a conductor on any train.

I have hated the Steelers since the 1975 playoffs. The broadcasters were making me sick with the Eagles "Lovefest". Why not give them the Lombardi Trophy now! I found myself pulling for the Steelers, can you imagine?!

I'm glad you enjoyed the games.
For some reason, I didn't mind the play by play commentators during the Eagles game. Jim Nantz brought back some memories of days long gone, and reminded both Beth and myself of game day drives from Fairless Hills to the Vet. After years of being a Redskin Fan, I stopped watching football completely. Sunday's choice was Hallmark Movies or Football, and I rediscovered the Eagles. The Fox commentators on the 4:30PM Giants vs Seattle game were definitely enamored with Seattle. Giants lived up to my expectations by losing, and looking inept. That's why I prefer Hockey.

Phillies and Houston are rained out...I didn't even know it was supposed to rain. Last I looked the Caps and Canes were tied 2-2. Ovie got another goal (5). Caps are in trouble with injuries to Oshie and Carlson, on top of their existing injured list. Games on NHL Network, which requires premium cable. I use an antenna, and streaming (Roku). Also have Samsung TV and Prime, my only subscriptions are ESPN+and MLBTV. I do not spend a lot of time watching TV, unless it's Hockey or Baseball. Time that the blackouts ended.

Had a grand total of 6 groups of trick or treaters today.

I think the link ^^^ is only passingly political at most: "The Real Anthony Fauci" is available to view for free through Tuesday midnight. Just in case anyone is considering watching it.
Given previous discussions about health care and availability for various ills and ailments, I don't think it'll tread on too many toes or be outside generally accepted forum limits.

That's brilliant. :D
If you don't work in metal/steel, you could probably do the same by building a "dangerous looking" load of 2" x 4"s using some (invisible but well placed) screws or nails, although I suppose some judge could put you in jail for "assault with what appears to be a dangerous weapon." I'd try it with confidence in Texas. I wouldn't try it in the Bay Area.

Those two headstones that lean backwards, but on the same column: One reads "Butch Cassidy," and the other reads "The Sundance Kid."

The third steep leaning one which looks like the coffin underneath is coming up out of the ground (top right in the last photo): Here lies Ebenezer Scrooge.

Just a guess....

Terry: His model railroad as chronicled in RMC was an inspiration. He made free lance railroading believable. RIP Allen.
Oh yes he did, and I'm really sorry to hear this news. His approach to well structured and well thought out prototype freelancing really upped the game. His book "The V&O Story" is one I've read through more than a few times.

As it happens, my own "route" coincidentally passes around the north and then west sides of a hill named "McClelland Mt." It's real and it's on the map. I didn't plan it at all, and discovered the name of the mountain long after the rest was finalized.

I've always considered it a tribute to him, even though it's a mere coincidence it's there at all. A viewpoint for an important section of my own (prototype freelanced) road in my own parallel universe.

I've put a lot of thought into my own scheme, and his ideas were a big part of the reason. Very sad news.

Last edited:
Good evening y'all. 58° and raining. Rainfall so far 0.12" at the Rutgers U. weather station, Manasquan Reservoir.

Snowman: I don't think a link to a documentary about Mr. Dr Faucci is political. Those who watch it may agree or disagree with the producers, but that's their decision. Many people on both sides of the political spectrum have become very critical about the way the CDC and the Public Health service have handled the pandemic and other health issues. Might be time to take a good hard look at the whole process.

Good evening y'all. 58° and raining. Rainfall so far 0.12" at the Rutgers U. weather station, Manasquan Reservoir.

Snowman: I don't think a link to a documentary about Mr. Dr Faucci is political. Those who watch it may agree or disagree with the producers, but that's their decision. Many people on both sides of the political spectrum have become very critical about the way the CDC and the Public Health service have handled the pandemic and other health issues. Might be time to take a good hard look at the whole process.
Thanks for that. I was given the link just a few hours ago, and I'm actually watching it myself (between pauses and pizza) right now.

FWIW, I'm anything but an activist, so I'm not going to start spamming this forum with links and rants. Not until moments before the start of WWIII anyway. It's just that it's time-limited, unless you want to pay to see it. I would.

Picked last?

Nope. Bitter about being the target

"There's the chess club geek. Get him!"

Gym class is nothing more than state-sponsored terrorism.
I'm sorry, forgive me.

Sports was to me as writing is to you. The difference is you make a living at it, I never made any real money.

I would have gladly stood up for you. I like chess, I never liked bullies. I was 6'1 in the sixth grade. You could have hidden behind me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back