Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just noticed something very unusual a few minutes ago while my wife was watching the Cowboys/Bears football game. Both teams are wearing dark jerseys! These are not "throw-back" jerseys either. Unusual in another way also as the Cowboys are one of the few NFL teams who wear their white uniforms at home all of the time. A practice that they started in 1960 by Tex Schramm to make the team more identifiable to the fans.

Afternoon All,

Had a wonderful field trip yesterday to 2 Incredible modelers in the Ormond Beach area. The first modeler has a logging type railroad with superb scenery. The second modeler had 2 HO layouts (one UP and the other NYC/New Haven) and a room filled with dioramas centered around high end building kits like FSM and SRMW. He had these dioramas in glass cases which were merchandise display cases. When I walked in and saw them I said Holy S***.

TomO- Very nice job on the background building flat.

Hughie- Great looking progress.

NorthBrit- Nice scenes.

George- Check the LRT website. That's where I got mine.

Dave- Nice looking trailer. Does it represent the 20's-30's JD?

Willie- Any thoughts with what you're going to do on the building front?

Smudge- I hope you feel better. I think a Guinness would cure what ails you! :) I know it cures my ails.

Jaz- It sounds like you are ready at home. Is that a set of rabbit ears in the last photo or something else?

A couple dioramas

View attachment 155039

View attachment 155040

I hope everyone has a good night.
Thanks Curt. It was fun to build but a PITA to paint.

Afternoon folks!

Well the Packers do not play until later 8:20 EST so no football until then. As I do not watch any game unless it is the Packers in the NFL.

Yesterday I cleaned the garage in bay 1 but I still have more to do. I also moved some firewood. I still have more to do with that as well in that dept. I also gathereed all my fishing gear and placed them in the fishing tackle room. Yup I have a room for fishing gear. I will go through that in February for full clean and organization as well as re-spooling line for next season.

Today is a nice sunny day. I will and have been tinkering around on a few things. Started my laundry too. I have yet to make a short run to the grocery store which I will do shortly after this posting. I also have to drop off my bottle/can recyclables. Yup 5 cents a piece for them dang things. Gotta do it though.

So in the last few days with chatting with TomO and viewing his work on those centerbeam flat cars, I got to thinking about them. I did a quick inventory on the ones I had and felt I needed a few more. I predominatley have "opera" window centerbeams.

4 ASAB opera style green
5 UP opera style brown
3 UP regular centerbeam brown
2 UP opera style yellow
1 TR regular centerbeam brown
3 TTX regular yellow
1 CLC regular blue

So I decided to beef that up and ordered from Yankeedabbler this past Friday this is an early birthday present to me as my birthday is coming up lol. I ordered the following with ALL "opera window" style:

Walthers Mainline 910-4870 72' Centerbeam Flatcar with Standard Beam - Cascade Warehouse WCRC #9061
Walthers Mainline 910-4869 72' Centerbeam Flatcar with Standard Beam - Cascade Warehouse WCRC #9013
Walthers Mainline 910-4868 72' Centerbeam Flatcar with Standard Beam - Cascade Warehouse WCRC #9008
Walthers Mainline 910-4871 72' Centerbeam Flatcar with Standard Beam - Cascade Warehouse WCRC #9072
Walthers Mainline 910-4865 72' Centerbeam Flatcar with Standard Beam - UP - Union Pacific #217012

I already have 2 of the Union Pacifics that Yankeedabler had online so I ordered the ones I didn't have. This should do it for me I will be gathering these up when my orders come in this coming week. Once I get everything together I will give TomO a holler for track clearance and work order to his Wisconsin River Valley and Terminal Railroad shops. For some weathering work but before I do I will have Doc and Wyatt inspect all of the cars at JR's UPRR wheel shop for metal wheels and kadee couplers etc. ;)

Anyways ya'll have a good afternoon. I need to get a move on to the grocery store!

I don't know if anybody here has heard of him, but Allen McClelland passed away on October 28th after suffering a stroke.
I did not know of his passing, thank you for letting us know. I became familiar with him in the early 80's through his articles in MRR. I learned two concepts from him that I still follow nearly 40 years later. "Beyond the basement" and "good enough". To me the former meant staging yards where rail traffic could be set up to enter the layout; and the latter meant that not every car or structure had to be "rivet counter" quality. "Beyond the Basement" also introduced me to "point to point" operation.
Sad to see him go, but we all knew that it was coming when he and his wife moved to the retirement community, although that was over ten years ago if I remember correctly.

I made to the Poughkeepsie NY train show. I don't think I'll be going again. It's not what it used to be,
I did find one item. My fire house needed a firetruck, so I bought that. $12.00. I plan on doing some detailed car work this winter. A fully adjustable magnified light would help a great deal, so I bought one of those. I think that was $25.00.
George

truck_tools_01.jpg
fire_house_01.jpg

Allen McClelland, I was kind of surprised no one mentioned his stroke and passing on Saturday morning in the forum. Like what Willie wrote he also influenced me, but in 3 ways. The “beyond the basement” which lead me to staging yards. The “good enough” concept of modeling. My dad, who introduced me to model trains always said keep it simple, Allen showed how to keep it simple but realistic. In the 60’s and 70’s modelers where IMO very strict in what they modeled and they would seemingly take forever to build things. Third was introducing me to “free lance“ model railroading.

Picture from the other day
FA42C452-F844-4046-92EE-7B31E1AB2B59.jpeg
Some pictures this afternoon as I have had unexpected time today
4184FE1D-7F5B-4A23-8ED4-0215A2AA783F.jpeg

I have to join the 3 sections together but I did spray the finishing color to cover the additional support posts. One more 100’ section I hope later tonight. The coloring matches all the way, that is shadow from the spotlights. I am not sure if I want to glue the support posts in the concrete. The 2 rolling gates need some more thought. The swing gate for the track entry seem pretty straight forward

There are 20 kids in the pool with that many adults in and around the pool. The SIL organized the adults between the 2 soccer games they lost this morning to end the season. The daughter and the 5 other hockey moms showed up maybe 30 minutes ago. The food is prepped and both grills will be going. One dad left but left his kid as I don’t allow glass in the pool area and he will only drink beer in a “real” glass.

Evening all!. A very nice day in Houston. There was an airshow at a local airport and a few of the planes could be seen from our backyard.

Our son is moving to Oregon next week. He came by yesterday to say his goodbyes. Needless to say, the wife is not happy with the move.

I did manage to do a little work on the Shipyard Brewing Co. Still needs roofing, window trim and weathering. I also tried placing it.

1667171689515.jpeg

1667171718196.jpeg

1667171763316.jpeg

STAY SAFE

LATER

I don't know if anybody here has heard of him, but Allen McClelland passed away on October 28th after suffering a stroke.
Terry a lot of us has heard of him I think 🤔 very sad too. The modelrailroad hobby lost a great one for sure.

Interesting though....I just got an old copy of Railroad Model Craftsman April 1978 issue. I won all 12 issues of the 1978 on ebay fo 12 bucks. I wanted to read this particular issue in April. So here is what popped into my eyes as I turned the cover to the article on Utah Belt....

See the pictures.....

20221030_200333.jpg

Now notice the 1st paragraph insert below the map of Utah Belt RR.....

"The lessons of The V&O story........"

20221030_200313.jpg

Tom O - Allen McClelland's concept of "free lance" was also a novel concept which influenced many, but I stuck with ATSF my whole modeling career. I also liked how he "moved forward" with the times, and sorta modernized his railroad, similar to Eric Broomans Utah Belt; although Allen was certainly first. As a teenager I got to visit Bill McClanahan's (noted sports cartoonist and MRR author) layout, the Texas & Rio Grande Western, which was also a fictious RR in his attic in Dallas.

Boris: I have NEVER loaded an AV program on any of the computers in our house. Never. That has been since Windows 286 in the late 80's. I guess that I have taught everybody here to not open any links in eMail when they do not know the sender. Same for anything on the web they happen to run across.

If I were to add some sort of AV, it would be PCMatic as it is the only one AFIK that is USofA based. All the others are 3rd world companies which in my opinion is ...um... pretty much hanging your butt out there. PCMatic now is $50 a year for up to 10 devices which is pretty cheap. Micro$oft protection is automatic as long as you 'turn it on'. I have no idea of what it does or how it protects me as I have never seen any sort of pop up message saying it did or found some problem. If an AV program gives you that 'warm and fuzzy feeling', so be it.

With Linux workstations, I don't worry about any of the above. As long as you are not running as 'root', the system can not be compromised. Sure, something could happen running as you, although you don't see that for the most part either. Easy fix, delete the user account, and all files then add the user account again.

PCMatic just started with Linux servers which have about 80% of the market share. That is probably because they are safe and secure. Played with Window$ NT years ago and found
Todd:
I just plan on using Microsoft's built in protection. The McAffee program was included by Dell, which I tolerated, while free. All the viruses they claim to have stopped were just them blowing smoke. Microsoft's protection is equal to or better than any third party AV program offered for retail computers. Guess my Junk folder will get a workout. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back