Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon All!
61F in Libby.
71F in Louisville.

Started unloading and loading; suspect dinner will get in the way. No biggie I guess as if we want, can finish and go in the am.
Went back to Roundhouse
Hobbies and chatted with the owner a bit. Got my 44 cars and 6 cabeese for $6 each. Touch more than I wanted to spend but what the hay! Welp, insert image thingie is grayed out so I will post this and go back and edit it to see ifn that makes it work.

Good Afternoon All from West Monroe LA. I don't know whether West Monroe is a suburb of Monroe or the other way around. Anyway we made it safely and we both decided to cool the tourist thing and take naps instead. Plans for the final leg home tomorrow have changed. We'll stop in Dallas and drop my wife off at our grandsons' house. Our daughter and her husband are both off on separate business trips, and our other daughter who was going to drop in, tested positive for Covid yesterday. The boys, 15 & 13 will be alone tonight, we'll get there around noon. They could actually manage by themselves (don't tell CPS), but they each have activities that they need to be driven to Saturday night and Sunday afternoon. I'll drop my wife off and go home and daughter will drive her home Tuesday.
While it's been a good vacation, I am looking forward to getting home. Besides missing my trains, I miss my bed, my pillow, the familiar nighttime noises and my high height toilet. I probably gained too much weight as well. I overwatered the garden before I left and the weather since then has been ideal for the return of tomatoes and peppers. I also miss my desktop computer, I dislike using this laptop.
I need to catch up with today's posts and add my comments.
See you later.

Hmmm could not insert images when editing. I did figure out why the top bar was grayed out ...."[ ]" was selected, so we will try again.
Each box is 2 cars deep. About 80% have Kaydee's and all need work.

IMG_20220930_181320_147.jpg

IMG_20220930_181304_662.jpg

IMG_20220930_181245_558.jpg

Later

So, I guess it's Happy October. Local Conditions, Cloudy and Dark, 58° currently, Today's range 47° and 62°. Rain is expected after 0100. We are looking at 2" to 3" attributed to what will be a Post Tropical Depression. formerly known as Ian. Not for nothing, Ian was a nasty destructive storm.

Terry: Take care. Your getting Ian while it's a real storm.
Todd: Nice instant fleet. Numerous possibilities in those boxes.
Willie: Stopping to rest...good idea. Sorry about your other daughters positive C-19 test. It is always good to come home and resume the regular routine.
James: Again, nice procurement. With prices what they are, half price is great.

Finished Physical Therapy this morning...after the first three sessions, it was a painful waste of time. Monday I see the Doc, hopefully several injections and a change in meds, and go from there. Need to get back to working on the model railroad. Need to get back to walking. Not whining, but I never felt so much pain as this week.

So, I guess it's Happy October. Local Conditions, Cloudy and Dark, 58° currently, Today's range 47° and 62°. Rain is expected after 0100. We are looking at 2" to 3" attributed to what will be a Post Tropical Depression. formerly known as Ian. Not for nothing, Ian was a nasty destructive storm.

Terry: Take care. Your getting Ian while it's a real storm.
Todd: Nice instant fleet. Numerous possibilities in those boxes.
Willie: Stopping to rest...good idea. Sorry about your other daughters positive C-19 test. It is always good to come home and resume the regular routine.
James: Again, nice procurement. With prices what they are, half price is great.

Finished Physical Therapy this morning...after the first three sessions, it was a painful waste of time. Monday I see the Doc, hopefully several injections and a change in meds, and go from there. Need to get back to working on the model railroad. Need to get back to walking. Not whining, but I never felt so much pain as this week.
Glad to hear your slowly getting there, as for that pain, well, none of us are youngster's anymore, but you'll get there, it'll just take us minute or two longer than the last time.

The empire is all set with trains staged. I can't find my D&RG FA1 and FB1 locomotives for my California Zephyr. Checked every place that I store them. I guess I'll have to power that train with a set of UP SD90MACs.
I also setup my corner section of the modules in the living room upstairs. As it's a modular club, I'm sure they would like to view that.
At least 6 members have responded. Will prolly be a few more than that showing up.

Good Evening!

Ya'll can tell what the wife and I were doing today by this photo of her standing on the dock.
FishingSchumann_09-30-2022 (1).JPG

The prey was Tiger trout, which is a fish somehow genetically messed with, and deposited in various lakes for the benefit of sport fishers. Here's a small one being released:
FishingSchumann_09-30-2022 (2).JPG

Along the way to the lake, I spotted the crane parked on the tracks. Had to stop for a couple of shots, since there was no one around:
Crane_CN 50435_09-30-2022 (1).JPG

Crane_CN 50435_09-30-2022 (2).JPG

Sorry for the short notes, but I need to load the boat. We're leaving at daybreak for another fishing adventure.
Catch ya later!

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Thanks everybody for the welcome-backs: DaveB, Patrick, Rick, Jaz, Louis, Joe, TomO, Guy, chad, Smudge, Hughie, James, Curt

logandsawman said:
Ken IB - Blog? I don't know what that is, however notice all the tech savvy guys on here do
Dave - "blog" is a moniker for web log (an online journal)

Joe - Hope the injections get that pain under control.

Guy - great shots of that self-propelled crane! I shot a photo of a similar one on the B&O at Point-of-Rocks (MD) in 1972, picking up discarded ties left on the right-of-way:

B&O_MOW_train_brightened.jpg

Of course, back then all I had was an antique Voigtlander camera which I barely knew how to use!

Terry - good luck dealing with the storm!

I'm kind of depressed after watching all the heartbreaking videos of the complete devastation in Southwest Florida, it'll probably take a decade to rebuild everything. And the people moving back in will probably not be the ones who've been displaced...

My region will also be feeling some of the effects of Ian, but is a more benign context: Much-needed rain. For some reason, rain has eluded the area within a two-mile radius of my property all summer. The NWS would predict that we'd be getting rain, and I would see the approaching rain clouds on radar when they were still ~10 miles away; but as they got closer, they would split apart - half to the north of us, and half to the south; or they would just fizzle out. This was a pattern that kept repeating itself, to the point where patches of brown grass appeared throughout the lawn.

I'll use the following two photos to illustrate my point. The first one shows where a large White Pine in my backyard, that had been leaning precariously for years, finally fell over in a brief gust of wind:

FallenWhiteOakLyingAcrossLawn.jpg

That was back in August; if we would've had normal rainfall, I would have expected to just find a bunch of semi-moist brown grass under where the tree had fallen. But when the arborists finally came to remove it on Wednesday, the ground underneath - where there once had been healthy green grass - was bone-dry:

FallenWhiteOakRemovedFromLawn.jpg

In the foreground, you can see bald spots in the grass where the truck and mulching trailer had been parked. When I mowed the tall grass surrounding the edge of where the tree had been, it generated huge clouds of dust. I'm hoping that the rain we're supposed to get will thoroughly soak those dry areas. But as of this moment, we've only had a few on-and-off light sprinkles.

Hopefully this lack of rain is just for the current season and not the "new normal." If it actually does rain all day tomorrow, great; otherwise, I'll make the best of it by doing some outdoor spray-painting of a bunch of gondolas I picked up at a recent estate sale.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Last edited:
I’m still alive and kicking

Low doses of cold pills are keeping symptoms at bay. Worst is trying to not talk much at a gaming convention.

Looks like I picked up a cold while traveling. Negative C test again

I have promised a steak dinner for helping at the game tourney tomorrow.

That’s it for tonight. About to take a cold pill and hit the pillow

Here I am sitting in the hotel lobby waiting on the brand new Starrybuck$ across the street to open. And a visiting college track team descends upon the lobby. My big fear is that they’ll all head to the coffee shop before I get there. Don’t mind waiting my turn, but behind 30ish people is a bit more than my coffee deprived brain can handle.

12 more minutes…

Fortunately they’re out stretching

Perhaps I should go stand by the door ;) be first…

Good Morning All!
47F in Libby.
56F in Louisville.

Troy: Doesn't the hotel have coffee somewhere? Strawbucks in my opinion is NOT worth waiting 30 people for.

Smudge: If you are the only one that is being tested cuz you are clean, isn't that a liability for your company? Over here, almost the first thing you get to do when involved in an accident is to go and pee in a cup. I take it your side are things are not that way?

Ken: Ya the graffiti folks did a pretty good job matching the colors and fonts.

Chet: Always good seeing pix of your layout. Just wish I could have seen it before you had to take it down! Rest that shoulder.

Got almost all of our stuff in the Edge, couple of small things left. Went and ate last night and that pretty much fizzled us out. Just have to finish the little stuff then we can clean up the tractor for the next guy.

Really looking forward to being home with no refer or tractor running while sleeping. Oh, and let's not forget about the bouncing down the road part as it is tough sleeping while up in the air. Will miss the people here, the job: not so much, although I have always loved the road.

Later

Crisis averted…. The track team is jogging somewhere

Coffee this morning:
55EB78F6-5D43-4C9E-BF2A-1EB32E6B005D.jpeg

Turns out the StarryBuck$ is inside the retired Lansing MI Rail Station.

1C11CCF2-5F4A-4343-A820-64F3CDA125E5.jpeg

It’s a brand new coffee shop in an old building.

Looks like the rail car was formerly used as a dinner. Still has placards for “Clara’s” Enter and Exit. But, it obviously not in use.

May get some more pics after the sun rises and I get better light

Good Morning All!
47F in Libby.
56F in Louisville.

Troy: Doesn't the hotel have coffee somewhere? Strawbucks in my opinion is NOT worth waiting 30 people for.

Smudge: If you are the only one that is being tested cuz you are clean, isn't that a liability for your company? Over here, almost the first thing you get to do when involved in an accident is to go and pee in a cup. I take it your side are things are not that way?

Ken: Ya the graffiti folks did a pretty good job matching the colors and fonts.

Chet: Always good seeing pix of your layout. Just wish I could have seen it before you had to take it down! Rest that shoulder.

Got almost all of our stuff in the Edge, couple of small things left. Went and ate last night and that pretty much fizzled us out. Just have to finish the little stuff then we can clean up the tractor for the next guy.

Really looking forward to being home with no refer or tractor running while sleeping. Oh, and let's not forget about the bouncing down the road part as it is tough sleeping while up in the air. Will miss the people here, the job: not so much, although I have always loved the road.

Later
Yep… a grind-n-brew machine with Starbucks Pikes Place in it. And they charge. I’m not a fan of Pikes Places. Too medium roast citrusy for me

Their upscale cafe doesn’t open for another hour… so off to see the Watery Tart and her blend of siren-song caffeine.

Verona Roast isn’t bad. Prefer Kamado Dragon from Starbucks.

Yuck, coffee machines with their own water tank.
Usually those things never get cleaned out and the white fuzz mold that grows in them is sickening.
Still very light rain this morning and slight breeze. Ian is now a tropical storm and taking a more northerly direction. I'm inclined to think it might start bearing a bit more nor easterly which will bring it closer to here. That's OK because I can just evacuate down the street to the cigar lounge.
Gonna do a few more walk throughs the basement to make sure everything is set for the open house today. Tools put away, scenery material put away, signals working right, trains staged, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back