Running Bear's October 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now Louis, come on. Any game in which the Stealers are manhandled is enjoyable and worth watching. I surprised myself, and actually cheered for the Eagles like long ago...it's also been many years since I spent Sunday watching football.

I have hated the Steelers since the 1975 playoffs. The broadcasters were making me sick with the Eagles "Lovefest". Why not give them the Lombardi Trophy now! I found myself pulling for the Steelers, can you imagine?!

I'm glad you enjoyed the games.

If it was not "free", I wouldn't have it. The laptop itself is okay, very clean and lightly used. Apple has been slowly implementing more and more restrictions in the name of "security" over the past couple of years or so. They also want you to use their cloud for everything in your life. My take on this is, if you as a company want to make these things available for me to purchase, fine. If I do purchase/use their service, I expect it to be as close to perfect as possible, and the company should be responsible for any trouble. I should also have the option to not use these services, knowing if I don't, I have no recourse. This is being forced down my throat, and if something happens to my stuff or data, their response is "sorry you had a problem. Would you like to sign up for more of our services"?

You don't have to use iCloud for anything if you don't want. Certain things like the system keychain are just easier to deal with on iCloud. I don't run into 2FA or anything on my Macs. Occasionally it will send me a code on my iphone when I want to log into an Apple account somewhere... (Since they're both attached to he same AppleID). I am fully invested in the Apple eco system and have very few issues. (I did have a problem with a phone upgrade on Friday but that seems to have been more T-Mobiles issues than anything though it affected the ability to get into an Apple account).

While I do have an Apple email account, I don't use it for anything other than as a backup for people to get to me if the main mail servers are down (I run a small mail and web business on the side so run the mail servers I use and if they are down need a way for customers to contact me).

Morning all,

Late for me, but busy at work.

Wife and I working on points at the last minute for the Health insurance program. Get a certain amount and get an appropriate discount. Also have certain things that must be done. Turns out we are 600 points away with a month to go. Turned in 400 this morning and got an email the we both missed a required activity. 500 point each once completed. Thought we'd done it months ago, but...Since it's an online thing we both completed it and with a couple of walks that haven't been tallied yet, we're easily 1000+ points over. Since money is tight, we need to keep as much as we can.

Did run a few trains yesterday, but didn't complete anything else.

Boris: I also have been using Microsoft's antivirus on my machines at home since Windows 7. I uninstalled the McAfee crap from my 4 Dell's as soon I got them. Didn't even use the 1 free year. They used to be a good program, but like Symantec they try to do it all in one program and end up slowing my machines down.

Hello Happy Members !
Boyz are back in town ! :D

163042.jpg

Wife and I working on points at the last minute for the Health insurance program.
My wife and I pay $13,000 a year for our retired Medicare & AARP supplemental health insurance play. No points, no discount no nothing. It may even be more with the drugs. I don't know I'm afraid to look what it really costs us. I went for a parathyroid (20 minute) operation a few years back it was $40,000.00. That's why I pay the $13,000.00. Who knows what the next operation will cost.
George

Every time I read about the high cost of supplemental health insurance, I appreciate my VA benefits even more.
I only have the $140 some odd bucks for Medicare stuff and everything else is picked up by my TriCare for life. Even when using a civilian provider. I get my hearing aids and glasses through the VA so no cost there. Dental is through the Delta Dental, pretty much the same as most folks pay.

Every time I read about the high cost of supplemental health insurance, I appreciate my VA benefits even more.
I only have the $140 some odd bucks for Medicare stuff and everything else is picked up by my TriCare for life. Even when using a civilian provider. I get my hearing aids and glasses through the VA so no cost there. Dental is through the Delta Dental, pretty much the same as most folks pay.
I never went to the VA Ken. I went to work for the RR shortly after getting out, so I didn't have a need to. Then after RR my local had the best insurance you could have. Maybe I should sign up for VA benefits now. I think I can still get them? It's all on automatic payment except for the drug deductible you have to meet every year, so I don't think about it a lot.
George

Afternoon All,

HAPPY HALLOWEEN and the start of the Hallothankmas season.

Did some chores then I did a leak test on the shower and it passed :). I was going to run trains today but found out youngest grandson was going to be here (don't ask) so maybe tomorrow.

James- Nice 🎂 birthday presents.

TomO- The fencing looks very good. Have fun golfing.

Hughie- The build looks great. I like that color scheme.

Dave- Thanks for the info. Nice scene. When I was a kid I rooted for the vikings (anyone was better than Dallas) but they always seemed to clutch in championship games.👎

Willie- Nice progress.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I never really had a NFL team I followed as a kid. My MOther's parents were from Weirton, WV, which is closer to Pittsburgh than anything else... So I grew up liking Bruno Samartino, George "the Animal" Steel, and The Steel Curtain Defense simply because there was nothing to do at my Grand Parent's other than watch professional wrestling and steelers football.

I remained a Steelers "fan" (if you could call it that) until I went to college an hour from Pittsburgh and quickly became a browns fan.

Afternoon All,

HAPPY HALLOWEEN and the start of the Hallothankmas season.

Did some chores then I did a leak test on the shower and it passed :). I was going to run trains today but found out youngest grandson was going to be here (don't ask) so maybe tomorrow.

James- Nice 🎂 birthday presents.

TomO- The fencing looks very good. Have fun golfing.

Hughie- The build looks great. I like that color scheme.

Dave- Thanks for the info. Nice scene. When I was a kid I rooted for the vikings (anyone was better than Dallas) but they always seemed to clutch in championship games.👎

Willie- Nice progress.

The one team that Minnesota had that was very much loved by most was the Minnesota North Stars Hockey team of my youth. I am not a sports fan but still could not believe it when they left Minnesota.

The Twins and Vikings always seem to choke or barf or whatever it is called when they cannot get the trophy.

The one team that Minnesota had that was very much loved by most was the Minnesota North Stars Hockey team of my youth. I am not a sports fan but still could not believe it when they left Minnesota.

The Twins and Vikings always seem to choke or barf or whatever it is called when they cannot get the trophy.
I know how you feel. It still hurts me to see the Horseshoe in Indianapolis.

The word is choke. Personally, I don't like that word. I played and coached for more than 30 years. I never played professional sports, but I did make it as far as semi-pro, baseball and football. Seldom if ever did I witness anyone choke. Teams can get outplayed, even when they are the favorites. Winning in all levels of sports is harder than people think.

Think of 1987. The Twins had the worst record 87-55 of any world series champion. The Cardinals were favored to win. Frank Viola, Kirby Puckett and the others had a different view. The twins won in seven games!

Last edited:
As someone who lived in the Indianapolis Metro area for 20+ years, you can have the Colts back.

Just pay off that !*$%@#$ stadium (the Hoosier Dome) that Indiana is STILL paying for.

with the exception of a few teams here and there, pro sports is the biggest racket in local and state poly tics. Indiana is currently paying for the old imploded HoosierDome, the convention center, parts of the fieldhouse, and Lucas Oil Stadium.

Naming Rights fees goes to the team, not to the people shelling out the $$$ to pay to build these collossuses

Afternoon All,

Had a wonderful field trip yesterday to 2 Incredible modelers in the Ormond Beach area. The first modeler has a logging type railroad with superb scenery. The second modeler had 2 HO layouts (one UP and the other NYC/New Haven) and a room filled with dioramas centered around high end building kits like FSM and SRMW. He had these dioramas in glass cases which were merchandise display cases. When I walked in and saw them I said Holy S***.

TomO- Very nice job on the background building flat.

Hughie- Great looking progress.

NorthBrit- Nice scenes.

George- Check the LRT website. That's where I got mine.

Dave- Nice looking trailer. Does it represent the 20's-30's JD?

Willie- Any thoughts with what you're going to do on the building front?

Smudge- I hope you feel better. I think a Guinness would cure what ails you! :) I know it cures my ails.

Jaz- It sounds like you are ready at home. Is that a set of rabbit ears in the last photo or something else?

A couple dioramas

View attachment 155039

View attachment 155040

Stove fan,pushes heat forward so not wasted going up supposedly improves efficiency of the fuel/heat produced,does help move it room to room,I have one for each.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back