Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched the last 4 minutes or so of the KC - Bills game. It was a replay on the NFL network. Both defenses appeared to be nearly exhausted and unable to stop the opposing offense.
I can't wait to watch the entire game on the DVR.
All four of this weekend's playoff games decided on the last play of the game. I can't remember that ever happening before.
The interesting thing to me is they were all broadcast free on TV. The other sports that aren't available for free should take note. Maybe this is why the NFL is so popular?

Time to get moving,
Have a great day Everybody!

I'm good with ignoring their fowl network. They used to play football. Now they want to tell me something else.

Got the Big Boy loaded up with the ESU decoder and a sound file installed. Had quite a bit of fits with an elusive short. Lots of trouble shooting to find it. Turned out to be a wheel wiper on the tender than had slipped over the wheel and allowed the wheel to slide the opposite way and make contact with the frame. While roaming through the loco shell I discovered how the heating system worked for the smoke and that it would actually support two smoke units.
The downside of ESU is how long it takes to update the sound files on the decoder. If just changing a mechanical thing, it's fairly quick, but changing a whistle or bell setting, count on about 15 minutes.
I thought the next episode of 1883 was going to be aired last night but turns out they took another break until next weekend.

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 42° in this part of the world. Another gorgeous day in store for us today, mid-60's.

Mostly did household chores for a while yesterday, then raked leaves for a bit. I took two extra long naps since I did not have a good night Saturday night. I also checked out my stash of suits for the upcoming memorial service. Suits are not a normal part of my wardrobe. I bought and wore one for my mother's funeral in 1994, and it still fit for my Dad's funeral in 2005; but it is way too small for me right now. Then I checked out my other one that was bought in 2014 for my son's wedding and it was too big! I'm going to use it anyway and keep my coat on so no one notices the bunched up waistband. I have lost over 40 pounds since then.

Unusual week coming up as there are no doctor, dental or other appointments scheduled until the Sunday night wake. I do have to take that suit to the cleaners though.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday; Smudge, Steve J, Tom, Jaz, Karl, Rick, Joe, Louis, OB Ken, Hughie, Gary, Patrick, Curt, Tom O, James, George, Mikey.

One of the things that I have spent time on out in the train shed lately is the biannual layout cleaning. Those of you who are new to the forum may not be aware of that schedule. My layout is mentally divided into eight sections, and at the beginning of each quarter I remove and clean everything. Other than cobwebs and some dust, it isn't much of a task any more. Saturday I began (late) with the lower level north staging yard. I removed everything prior to visually inspecting for loose parts and track cleaning. It took a while, but I finally cleared out the yard.
01-19-20 001.001.JPG

01-18-20 003.JPG

01-18-20 004.JPG

Actually looked pretty good for having been two years. I found only one brake wheel and an air brake reservoir.

Joe -
I shop Walmart, maybe six times a year.
That's three times more than me, and never for groceries. That side of the store scares me!
Patrick - Best wishes for your daughter and her hand.
Mikey - I often have to change some of the colors on the pre-painted Chinese figures because I don't have the right shades. I also change a lot of the pants on male figures to blue for jeans. In my layout's locale, lavender and turquoise pants were not popular like NYC or LA. Overall whether from the pre-painted or unpainted packages, they are a hell of a lot cheaper than Walther's, Preiser or Woodland Scenics figures.

Today is National Beer Can Appreciation Day, commemorating the day beer first came out in cans. I only buy beer in bottles, because my mustache gets hung up in the pull tab. If I have to use cans at someone else's home, I use a glass. When I first started imbibing in the 60's, one needed a "church key" to open the cans.

Everyone have a great day. Stay safe.

I'm good with ignoring their fowl network. They used to play football. Now they want to tell me something else.

Got the Big Boy loaded up with the ESU decoder and a sound file installed. Had quite a bit of fits with an elusive short. Lots of trouble shooting to find it. Turned out to be a wheel wiper on the tender than had slipped over the wheel and allowed the wheel to slide the opposite way and make contact with the frame. While roaming through the loco shell I discovered how the heating system worked for the smoke and that it would actually support two smoke units.
The downside of ESU is how long it takes to update the sound files on the decoder. If just changing a mechanical thing, it's fairly quick, but changing a whistle or bell setting, count on about 15 minutes.
I thought the next episode of 1883 was going to be aired last night but turns out they took another break until next weekend.

I have not watched 1883......I will wait then binge watch it. I am looking forward to seeing Sam on that show. 3 of my all time favorite "living" actors that does westerns like no other Sam Elliot, Tom Selleck and Robert Duval. I own all their western movies and watch them once in the blue moon.

Of course I loved the Duke....

EDIT* I should also add Clint Eastwood too :)

Last edited:
Good morning from where I am. Wisconsin, oh yeah! We have weather warnings up. Wind chill advisory from Tuesday at 3am to till 12pm and a winter weather advisory until 12pm tonight. Looks like after reading them both the wind chill one starts when the wind chill drops below -20. They say we should except another 2-3” of snow. From the window it looks like we have maybe another inch of white out there. Oh well, it is expected living in Wisconsin Winter. It is currently 13f degrees feeling like 13.

After Terry gets up I have a few things in the train room that I want to touch on.
Have a great day

TomO

Morning all,

My hopes KC would lose didn't transpire. I didn't watch the game, but for a 30 minute local morning newscast this morning, between the first 10 minutes being how great it was they won and the 5 minute sports cast they do at the end of the half hour was all chiefs. Nothing said about the other game. I don't mind a mention, but come on, there's other news and I if I wanted sports, I'd get ESPN.

Didn't get to trains yesterday as a neighbor told me I had a gap in my fence. Another post broken, so I patched it and redid the stringers so it should hold until I can get a replacement and the time to fix it correctly. I always knew a true cedar fence isn't a good idea. The fence has cedar posts, stringers and pickets. 2 of the 3 never belonged. I've been slowly replacing the posts and stringers as they break such that about 1/3 to 1/2 of the posts have been replaced. My son said we should just replace the whole fence. I told him it's twice as much fencing as his and his sister's yard that they did this past summer. Their combined fence was nearly $12,000. Of course, better posts. I've about had it with the "Little House on the Prairie" winds we've had this past couple of years. They tend to really get stronger whipping between the houses
and open spaces.

Really noticed a lot of holes at the grocery store yesterday. I know they were stocking them as they get their trucks on Sunday, Tuesday and Friday. Smaller Dillon's (Kroger) brand in a small market town. They typically don't have a big selection anyway. I then go to the bigger store 12 miles away if I absolutely need something the little store is out of. Most of the folks in the town work in Wichita, and pass that big Dillon's and a couple of large Walmart stores on the way home.

Taken me 30 minutes to get this typed this morning....

Morning all,

My hopes KC would lose didn't transpire. I didn't watch the game, but for a 30 minute local morning newscast this morning, between the first 10 minutes being how great it was they won and the 5 minute sports cast they do at the end of the half hour was all chiefs. Nothing said about the other game. I don't mind a mention, but come on, there's other news and I if I wanted sports, I'd get ESPN.

Didn't get to trains yesterday as a neighbor told me I had a gap in my fence. Another post broken, so I patched it and redid the stringers so it should hold until I can get a replacement and the time to fix it correctly. I always knew a true cedar fence isn't a good idea. The fence has cedar posts, stringers and pickets. 2 of the 3 never belonged. I've been slowly replacing the posts and stringers as they break such that about 1/3 to 1/2 of the posts have been replaced. My son said we should just replace the whole fence. I told him it's twice as much fencing as his and his sister's yard that they did this past summer. Their combined fence was nearly $12,000. Of course, better posts. I've about had it with the "Little House on the Prairie" winds we've had this past couple of years. They tend to really get stronger whipping between the houses
and open spaces.

Really noticed a lot of holes at the grocery store yesterday. I know they were stocking them as they get their trucks on Sunday, Tuesday and Friday. Smaller Dillon's (Kroger) brand in a small market town. They typically don't have a big selection anyway. I then go to the bigger store 12 miles away if I absolutely need something the little store is out of. Most of the folks in the town work in Wichita, and pass that big Dillon's and a couple of large Walmart stores on the way home.

Taken me 30 minutes to get this typed this morning....
Been busy then, I've never seen your fence, but wouldn't concrete posts have been a simpler and more cost effective way?

So I woke up this morning thinking about how I going to make a coupler for my 3D caboose project in the structure's forum. I thought maybe I can make a template and put some hard building foam sandwiched between 2 templates. I made the first template. I'll make another then go to Home Depot buy some construction foam and see what happens. I also need to pick up some plastic chain for the hand brake.
George

coupler.JPG

Well, howdy there internet people, and those wondering about Patrick's fence posts.

It's Troy again.

today, let's talk about my wife and Romans.

Took the spousal unit back to MIL's place. MIL survived the weekend by herself! Wife said one more week, just to make sure, and she can push the baby bird out the nest. We hope.

The elder Care attorney meeting is this week. No clue if they'll get much guidance from him. Hoping so. Then it's a case of helping MIL see that she needs to relocate. Driving in midwest weather 40ish miles to help her with a diabetic episode isn't easy on the girls. She realizes that but is having a hard time letting go of the family homestead in the middle of nowhere Indiana.

I've got a week more of bachelor life with the cat. Fortunately, I've cooked enough that I've got a freezer full of leftovers. Tomorrow sounds like a good day for carnitas to use up some of the leftover pulled pork.

This weekend, in between going out, my desire to move projects off my hobby table scored a big win! Got the Romans finished. Realized I misplaced the smaller shield for the dude on horseback. I'll find it and get it on in the next go.

Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 9.04.20 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 9.05.37 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-01-24 at 9.05.04 AM.png

These figures are from Warlord Games (in their SPQR starter set) and come in at 1:56 scale. I've got STL files of others that I can 3D print down for use on the train table.

For once, I feel pretty good about having got most of the mold lines off the figures. My eye always goes right to mold lines, and I don't notice any. So, that means someone will point one out, and I'll be forced to keep that dude in the back ranks.

This is a mix of Vallejo model color paints, Army Painter washes/filters, and a bit of red ink applied over the paint on the red cloaks.

Hoping we can get a warm-up soon, so I can get back out to the garage and use the chop saw to cut lumber to rebuild the 2nd leg of my layout. I'm stymied until that can occur. We've got folks on either side of us in the condo who work from home, so I don't want to bing the saw inside and disturb them (or, their dog who goes nuts barking if I make loud noises like sawing in the train room.)

Two steps forward, one step back, right?! Had a couple of really good, productive days in the train room, so was due for a bomb.

Was tired, as did not sleep well Sat. night. Finally got up at 0530 before the alarm went off at 0610. After-church nap was restless and only about 10-15 minutes actual sleeping.

Went to the basement to begin work laying out the electricals for the main table. Most of you know I have an expanded 4x8. https://modelrailroadforums.com/for...ton-and-davis-railroad-the-uff-da-line.33586/

The yard ell is mostly all finished for track work and I am running trains there. So I have a goal to begin and get much work done on the main table. So yesterday, planned to run the DCC bus wires; the 16VDC bus (EM Uncouplers); and the 12 VDC bus. Well I will update the layout thread with the details, but yesterday only got essentially one wire run. Because the main table is, technically, detachable from the shelf-style ell, I am making all connections breakable. So the main track feed from the DCS52 Zephyr command Station go to a terminal strip. Coming off the terminal strip are two pairs, first to a PSX circuit breaker which provides short protection for the yard ell (I know, I know - overkill, but that's what I wanted). The other pair will feed the DCC bus on the 4x8. So I put a pair of Anderson Power Pole connectors on the pair as research says that those are easy to use and provide minimal loss of voltage and signal. I watched Larry Puckett's video on these connectors, and a few others. Looked doable. Since I only had a few pairs to do, I could not justify the investment in a proper crimper.

Put the new pair on the cable I made up yesterday, connected to the existing pair and tested the full run for continuity. No joy. Whaaaaaaa??????

Tested each individual cable: Clipped a lead of the multimeter to the inside of the power pole connector and then touched the probe to Command station output (some bare wire exposed from the screw terminals for that very purpose). BEEEEEEP - - continuity. Check the other polarity - Also good. Okay, must be the new cable. Clipped a MM lead to the inside of the Anderson PP and touched probe to the terminal strip newly installed: BEEEEEEEP!! Continuity. Check the black side - also good. Now I am confused, and had it not been for the fact I really got to lose 10 pounds and get my Blood Pressure and triglycerides down, I'd have reached for the whisky bottle. Weirdness.

Weirdness on some days intrigues me and kicks in my trouble-shooter psyche. But yesterday, it deflated me. Oh, I'll solve it, but such is the life of a model railroader (and I hesitate to claim that title given the vast experience of most of you; I'm a mere babe-in-the-woods). Model railroaders must bring so many varied skills to the 'table,' many of them new or only used such that each time is like new. Can this hobby survive much longer? Oh, there are some, but how many kids under 35 are willing to learn and do and fail and redo the things we conquer to get a layout up and running?

I saw a meme the other day (maybe it was here): "New car manuals in the 50s/60s gave detailed instruction to adjust the intake and exhaust valves. Today's manuals warn not to drink the battery fluid."

Onward, ever onward.

Oh! I ordered the PSX-AR board and the last two TOs to be able to construct the two loops of the Main! Thanks again for the Hiawatha lead!!

Steve J

4 Pages behind from 9:30pm Saturday? Did I miss a week in there?
My football season has ended! Sorry a$$ defense GB - I am reminded of the movie, 'The Replacements'!
Put some "stickum" on your hands -receivers!

It is a chilly 40F this morning, but looking for a sunny, clear, 70F late

The Spousal Unit did me good last evening! The local SIL, daughter and kids came over for dinner. He is over his Covid - the BIL still is testing positive, but feeling better!
SWMBO made a dinner that would have done any "head of State" well!

FLO - happy Monday - A Western Omelet with lots of salsa and link sausage please! Plain toast and a glass of OJ too!

Need to see what the market will bring me today- hope it is better than last week?

The whole thing about charging for bags, is NOT to do with profits or efficiency or any of that rubbish

At Aldi it does have to do with costs and efficiency. Aldi, at least in my remembrance in Germany, charged for bags back in the 80s before anyone cared about biodegradable, recycling, etc.

Today there are all sorts of state laws etc in the US in a few states that require biodegradable or prohibit plastic or whatever. That is certainly the hot button issue with it today.

Yogurt - I don't eat it, but my wife really likes the Two Good brand.

Yes an excellent yogurt. I also like a General Mills one called R:ATIO Keto (RATIO onviously -- I think I got the : in the right place). Very good. I can only find it at the better Walmart superstores. Our local superstore is too low class for it. There is also a R:ATIO Protein style yogurt but it is not as good (and has slightly more carbs).

I also buy the Oikos triple 0 and add a tablespoon of C8 MCT oil to it and a teaspoon of oat fiber. Excellent after you do that and relatively low carb. Not as good as Two Good but cheaper.

To be honest, I'm not that impressed with either Aldi or Lidl. Lidl, is maybe a half mile from where we live, so it's a logical stop for bread and milk.
Unfortunately, unless I go on Wednesday...day the new circular takes effect...I cannot get 2% Lactaid milk there. Bakery goods are usually stale, and their prices are only marginally cheaper than ShopRite, which is a half mile further away.

Trader Joe has some very interesting stuff, some quite tasty, but not everything. Prices are reasonable, but the closest is 15 miles away...

I do not generally shop at stores with cart deposits, (mandated in the adjacent county), and I'm getting tired of cost cutting that throws more of the costs of doing business on the consumer...(To better serve you).

Aldi/Lidl isn't for everyone. We don't have them in Utah (yet). I've shopped at Aldi US when we were in Florida on vacation. I kind of agree with you. I mostly bought their Euro imports or wannabe Euro style stuff. I've visited a few other Aldi USA stores in Indiana and other places I was visiting, due to my prior history with Aldi in Germany, and I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to shop there, but would shop there if they happened to be near by and I needed something quick.

Been busy then, I've never seen your fence, but wouldn't concrete posts have been a simpler and more cost effective way?

This is the Type of fence that was in place when I bought the house from the Veteran's Administration (although this picture is in better shape):

1643036688039.png

As they age they tend to turn gray in color. Posts are set in concrete which is where they generally rot off at that point.

Kids fence uses metal 2" poles that the fencing is attached to instead of 4"x4" posts.

I want to ask an off topic question, luckily here a lot we talk about is off topic, anyway in the USA do you rate the Tesla X against an off road 4x4 in any shape or form or is it just lame, we wanted a cybertruck but it is being bounced back and back and the EU rules will likely turn it into a pussycat vehicle anyway. And prices just keep going up and up. So need an ev that can do some off road, the rivian is butt ugly, I doubt we’ll see the ford option version over here. so the Tesla x is not a pick up truck style but the Tesla x has a reasonable interior, thoughts? please feel free to trash,and give reasons, it’s a lot of cash, so I want to be certain, amazingly our one year old Tesla 3 has devalued by only 3,000 in one year (that’s not even the vat element!), so is worth trading in, with the original price on the cybertruck quoted around 50 k we would have just bought it and kept the 3, by the x is whopping 91 k so a trade in would be reasonable as we swop a 4/5 seater saloon for a 5,6 or 7 seater suv.with a lot more interior space,we often fill the 3 with hobby items so the Xs larger storage space would be useful.
There is no 3 pin plugs for a kettle or power tool :( which is a shame, he is missing a trick there,

I wouldn't consider the Tesla Model X anything to do with "off road". It is a soccer mom "SUV".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back