Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the stock market. Down 1000 points already at almost noon CDT. The guess is when will it recover?

Are you a player in the market or just going to ride it out?

What a difference a couple hours makes. Early in the day I looked at my wifes self directed 401k account (which I manage). Was down almost $1000. It ended up for the day after closing; up by $4.

My other account where I do an options spread system was way down early in the day and ended up $280 (still down from last weeks moves). This one is less important day-to-day since it is based on spreads that expire in a month or three and so any individual day I don't care about... But it is interesting to watch anyway.

Long term I don't know where we are going market wise. The market is doing better one year in to the current regime than I thought it would be but he has a lot of bad days... Looking at the 401k account graph...

Last edited:
I know I've asked before, but for the BB models, 33" or 36" wheels for most kits or it doesn't matter?

I making a list for the train show in 2 weeks and hoping for some bargains...relatively speaking. I'm also not rivet counting. Just need to finally start getting the plastic wheels off.

Most BB cars will use 33" inch smooth backed wheels, some hoppers, well cars and passenger cars will take 36". Locos 40".

Yes, size does matter because it will effect coupler height

Grocery-wise: We mostly shop at Walmart (as they are everywhere and less expensive and near by, everywhere). And Costco.

The wife also shops Sprouts -- mostly for produce -- on a regular basis. And our Kroger owned store, Smith's, gets visited once a month or so for stuff as it is actually the very closest to us but a lot more expensive. Most of the other grocery stores in our valley are much further away from us so only get visited infrequently or when we have a special need.

I have this love/hate relationship with Walmart. I like that it is cheaper and that they actually employ a lot of people productively who would otherwise have a hard time getting a job (my ignorant observations). Luckily we don't really have "people of Walmart" types in this area so you don't see too much weird stuff there. But I hate that it feels like they think that appearances don't matter much -- random stuff on shelves, and re-stocking with pallets of stuff clogging the aisles during "normal business hours" when lots of people are there. And while some workers there go above and beyond to help when you ask, others are more indifferent. And while they have a good selection of basic food stuffs etc., they really only carry, for the most part, the really high volume stuff. So more esoteric things you might want may be there but usually not. So you end up having to go elsewhere anyway. (Though some of our Walmarts are getting a lot better on this point -- I even found Dr Squatch soap bars at Walmart. (My son bought some online to try after a friend let him try some once after a swim practice and I will say it is way nice if expensive -- but Walmart helps you save $1 a bar but they only stock 3 or 4 scents/types).

On the house front: Friday the Window company (located in CO) said they were shipping and that the truck would be there at 8am Monday (today). I told them NO. They or the delivery company needed to call and make arrangements in advance. $40k worth of custom windows and glass doors is not a package of cheap Chinese crap from Amazon you can just toss on the doorstep (sorry Louis)... The window company said they would tell the delivery company to call and arrange. I needed to arrange some help as some of the wall size glass door/window combos are 8' wide and 7 -- 7 1/2' tall or so and weigh 500 lbs or more. And one other 3-window set in one frame was like 10' wide and 6' tall and per the window company was like 500-600 lbs.

Of course no one called and the poor driver showed up at the storage place (a neighbors house and large garage -- since we are not at the point in construction where we need windows). I couldn't get anyone on short notice but got my son out of bed (young strapping guy of almost 19 who works as a package handler at UPS) and we went up there. Between the man and his wife whose house we are storing at, my son and myself, and the driver (who wasn't supposed to help unless we wanted to pay extra -- which they never even offered to me when arranging), we got everything out, and then after the guy left, put into the garage. A couple hours out of my day I was not expecting to be moving windows. I had really hoped they would call to arrange so I could arrange a few burly guys to be there to help... But we got it done. The driver was a really nice guy and patient and helpful.

Last edited:
No need to be sorry Chad, I understand and I agree with you. 😁

I received my DVR from Amazon this afternoon. Probably cheap Chinese crap, but I'm hoping it works! I need it to record Law and Order and the Blacklist. My wife and I love those shows.
I'll be returning my Comcast equipment this week, including the DVR.
So far so good with the T-Mobile 5G home internet.

I know I've asked before, but for the BB models, 33" or 36" wheels for most kits or it doesn't matter?

I making a list for the train show in 2 weeks and hoping for some bargains...relatively speaking. I'm also not rivet counting. Just need to finally start getting the plastic wheels off.
What height are your loco couplings ? I've changed a few of mine to 33" (admittedly that was the size I already had on most of my rolling stock) so now they match my loco's coupling height.

Tom O now is a good time to buy of course....

As for the GP40 or 38s.......look at Yankeedabbler they have great prices for sound by Atlas (Gold Series). BUT waiting for the Athearns are worth it. I tell ya the GP15-1 that I got is incredible! Also the GP39s that came out recently are fantastic!
I actually have been looking at the Gp39-2. Pricing at YDabbler is good but they are selling non-sound for $170 while Lombard Hobbies has it at $155. My preferred shop is Hiawatha Hobbies in Pewaukee Wi. They dont have the Gp39-2 in stock but have a blow out sale on the Atlas Gp40-2w for $120. Non sound. I have no issues adding ESU sound decoders and I have 2 speakers coming from Scale Sound Systems that will fit all 3 of the GP’s I have been researching. But because I live in Wisconsin I have to pay state tax. I could pick it up this week as I have to drop off some pulp cars for Greg. The issue I have with YDabbler is the shipping. I ordered last week Tuesday some wheelsets and Kadee couplers. Great pricing best for each in the USA but shipping I paid for 2 day. They finally shipped it Saturday and now due here in Wisconsin on Wednesday. Not cool in my book. I got my ESU Cab Control system from YD but direct at Trainfest when YD last attended Or anyone for that matter.

When I buy online I look at Walthers for the retail pricing as my LHS gives me 20% off Walthers pricing. Then I look at Hiawatha Hobbies, Lombard Hobbies, Midwest ModelRailroad, SpringCreek and Yankee Dabbler. Seems like a lot but the differences can be startlingly. For decoders I look at YankeeDabbler, Lombard and sbs4dcc.com who will almost always be the best price and always seems to have stock.

TomO

TomO - Been about 50% on the short side of the market last week with short term option spreads. Busy covering some of the positions today - and reversing others to long option spreads. Losses are limited with the spreads, but the gains are limited as well.

I expect a "dead cat bounce" then more down. With a 12 year mostly up market - I would not be surprised to see as much as a 3 year decline with a recession in tow!
Terry is pulling hair today. She wants to badly to buy but ended up shorting some stocks. After dinner she will give me the full run down but she was on a call with the son and my brother for almost an hour this afternoon. Normally she is pretty cool and jumps in on down markets but this one is troubling. With troops ordered up (6000) for deployment to Europe, the true economy stinking and just being a super cold January she is on the fence where to go. I stay out of it.

TomO

I've been in a Walmart once in my lifetime and never been in a Costco. Even having an office in Super Regional Mall, I could go weeks without going into a store. Now let's talk about hobby shops.
Walmart a place to be avoid3d at all costs. Terry when we lived in Central Wisconsin would the second week in December stop at the SuperCenter in Plover, Wi to buy her flour, sugar, nuts and other baking goods she needed before Christmas. That’s all the WalMart and we haven’t been in one since 2014 when we moved from Central a Wi to So Central Wisconsin.

TomO

You want to gamble?

Look at the stock market. Down 1000 points already at almost noon CDT. The guess is when will it recover?

Are you a player in the market or just going to ride it out?

That’s Terry’s concern. She is talking like she wants to buy!

Mine right now is trying to find a decently priced Gp40-2 or Gp38-2. I am not waiting for the new Genesis models coming from Athearn.

TomO
I had some buying targets, but waited until the last hour, by that time almost everything was trending upward, beyond my pricepoint so...see what happens tomorrow. Have to be patient.
Lotta shorts have to be covered.

Walmart a place to be avoid3d at all costs. Terry when we lived in Central Wisconsin would the second week in December stop at the SuperCenter in Plover, Wi to buy her flour, sugar, nuts and other baking goods she needed before Christmas. That’s all the WalMart and we haven’t been in one since 2014 when we moved from Central a Wi to So Central Wisconsin.

TomO

I never shop Walmart for food ever! They get so many recalls ugh nevermind and the way they handle food nope......
I do however buy house cleaning products or goods but no food from there. I may go there once every 2 months and spend under 100 bucks thats about it.

When it comes to food. I am a organic guy so I buy local direct from my neighborhood farms for milk cheese meat eggs and I go to my local mom n pop grocery store. That's it. Of course I harvest my own various meats and fish as you know.

Last edited:
Good morning all! A frosty 16 degrees here in SE Illinois on the way to sunny and 26. Two days off after I work today and I'm ready for them. Got plenty to do over those days but it will still be better than being at work. Nothing much else going on around these parts.

Regarding the Walmart discussion...I hate that place with the passion and spend as little there as possible. Unfortunately there isn't much choice around here for groceries or other items. We rarely get groceries there, but the only other grocery store in town is a Ruler foods and they don't always have everything we need. It's about 25 miles to the next closest grocery store, a Jay-C store and we do go there instead occasionally. The one thing I do have to get at WM is test strips for my glucose meter. I bought a ReliOn brand meter because the strips are super cheap compared to all the fancy meters and the only place to buy ReliOn is WM. Other than that, I avoid WM as much as I possibly can.

That's about it from here. Hope you all have a great day!

Terry, how does the AMD Ryzen 5 compare to the Intel I3?
The newer-gen Ryzen 5 is much better than the Intel I5. The Ryzen 3 is generally better than the I3, depending on how the chip is spec'ed out.
The newer Ryzen 5 has either a quad-or-hex-core processor, and the 4th and 5th gen have what is known as hyperthreading, giving 8 or12 processing cores. The newer I3 has either dual or quad core and may or may not be hyperthreaded, depending on how it is spec'ed. The new Ryzens are also more power efficient than comparable Intel chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back