Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening Shop Dwellers! As usual, all positive affirmations on my previous post are very much appreciated.

Jaz - I really like how you added that heavy parka to the motor-scooter rider! 👍👍 (Of course since I model late summertime on my layout, I won't have a reason to do that with any of my figures...)

Troy - I forwarded your link of John Campbell's Youtube video to my wife & son (both medical professionals), I think they'll like it!

Thanks everybody for the prayers you've offered for my family's covid afflictions! #1 daughter and SIL are doing ok, in fact the SIL's "rapid" test came back negative and he appears to feel better today. #2 daughter has temporarily returned to her former place since the owner also has covid [mild case] and supposedly wouldn't be impacted. Wife is continuing to improve, tapering down her prednisone doses - only symptom remaining is the cough.

I said yesterday that I would only get tested if I developed symptoms. Well, I did - as I went to bed last night I felt what can only be described as "itchy lung", where an occasional cough is the only way to "scratch" it. When I woke up at 3:45am for the usual nature call, my whole upper chest felt congested, so I decided I'd better rule out covid. Instead of going back to bed, I just took my morning meds and drove to the same testing site I'd tried going to on Tuesday. Got there at 5:15am, 30 cars already ahead of me; several hundred more showed up behind me within the next hour. The testing lab opened at 8:30am, I had my specimen drawn at ~10:30am. So...5 hours spent getting the test. They collected snot samples for both the "rapid" and PCR tests; my "rapid" result was texted to me shortly after I got home: negative. PCR result won't be available until Friday morning. So I'll continue to isolate until they notify me. Fact is, regardless of whether I have covid or not - I definitely have symptoms of the common cold.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Last edited:
Good evening. Right now it's very foggy , with some lite rain expected after 0100. The forecast indicates the year will close out wet, dreary and mild.

Spent some time down in the train room, looking for hidden treasures in my rolling stock storage boxes. What I really want to do is actually finish several projects, that have been started back in the early Fall.

IBKen: Sounds like the symptoms I had. Hope it's nothing more than a cold. I hope the rest of your family recovers quickly.

Have a good evening.

Last edited:
1640839476895.png

Back when I was working we had to attend hazards substance classes. They told us not to think your protected wearing one of those cotton face mask because they only stop 2% whatever your breathing in. Watching all the volunteers looking for survivors at The World Trade Center with their cotton masks on I'm thinking they better go out and buy a mask that stops 99.9% or their all going to be sick later on. So when I see everyone walking around with their cotton mask's on. Well I guess it's stopping 2% of Covid but their taking in 98%.
George

Morning all,

Not much on tap for today. Yesterday was the wife's birthday and the kids brought us dinner. We have only been out once since the start of the Covid shutdowns and that was just before Christmas this year. I usually bring carry out if we don't make it ourselves. Looking for some train time over the weekend. I need to get the track cleaned and start getting the track ballasted. I've got a couple of ideas for building and road placements and I really want to put a couple of creek crossovers in the track. I think I can do it with the track set.

Here's a question: Christmas and New Year's fall on the same day. When was the last year they didn't?

I like it, but the car is narrower than standard rail width (rear track width of smart car is 56.3", rail width between the rails is 56.5") The ride in the rear would make for a really bumpy ride if the tires didn't get caught between a couple of ties....

As the virus is quite small, it can go through the N95 mask 10 wide without touching the mask. We were told the virus is suspended in the moisture of our breath so it's captured by the mask, until winter arrived and we could see our breath floating away as a cloud. Then we were told to double up on the mask. Sorta like putting up two layers of chain link fense to stop mosquitos.
If the N95 was truely effective against the virus they should be able to issue them to the military and get rid of the much more expensive MOPP suits with gas masks, right? Gotta remember though the virus can enter through any membrane surface; eyes and ears. The air filter must be replaced every 4-6 hours max and air only passes through it in one direction.
If you're serious about protecting youself against the virus ya need to go the full route including the decontamination routine.

Willie:

Technically 2021 due to New Year's Day 2021 and Christmas 2021 having already happened. New Years Day, January 1st is always a different year than the Christmas Day it follows. January 1st, 2021 was a Friday and December 25th, 2021 was a Saturday. But overall I'll give it to you. I thought it would take longer for someone to get... 🤣

They collected snot samples for both the "rapid" and PCR tests; my "rapid" result was texted to me shortly after I got home: negative. PCR result won't be available until Friday morning. So I'll continue to isolate until they notify me. Fact is, regardless of whether I have covid or not - I definitely have symptoms of the common cold.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!
Another thing the UK is ahead of the US on... those PCR tests with Omicron seem to need throat swabs, because the infection grows there first, then moves to the nasal passage. There are vids and instructions on how to get a sample from both areas (throat first) online.

Good Morning!

Christian - That's the exact track plan my grandfather built for me, on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, when I was a kid. So it is a proven track plan. Just nail on a few 2x4 cuttings to act as buildings, and you will experience my childhood railroading exposure.

It's warmed up to -23F around here. That's a temporary reprieve, though. The future-cast graph looks like it's headed down to my feet for next week.

If the wife would go back to work, I might be able to get some layout hobby time in. As she's on holiday, though, I feel it's practical to do stuff that she wants to do. At least, she don't want to go ice-fishing in this weather. - But, the hobby will have to wait for a-bit.

I started to get ready to revisit scratch-building a 3rd class depot. All the Tichy window and door frames that I'm using were cleaned up:
View attachment 137758
I'll have to adjust the size of the building to fit the doors.

I'll be using 1/16" balsa to construct the building. The exterior will be stucco, applied in the same manner as that 2-car garage I built last year.
View attachment 137760
I have a photo of the depot that was in Whitecourt in 1960, and it was definitely stucco.
Hope I can work on this project off and on in-between spousal duties.

Here's a repost photo of the depot I'm trying to build in HO:
View attachment 137762

Thank you for the likes and comments on my simple coffee-break postings! Hope you all have a great and safe New-Years! Stay sober and stay out of trouble!
We want lots of pictures, of the build,no pressure :p

Good Morning all!

12F with about 2in new white stuff for a 10in total.

Got the Train Cave pellet stove running yesterday. Have heat!

Rant - Ebay denied my refund of the 2nd TV that I did not get. They say since tracking showed it was delivered no refund. There has been zero contact with BestBuy. Gave them a negative - think that is the 2nd negative I have given for all my years on ebay. Funny thing is after I got the 1st TV; delivered on the 6th, I got additional tracking for delivery on the 9th for the 2nd TV. If ya clicked that tracking - it shows that it was delivered on the 6th!

The plan was to use the 2 TV's as monitors - cheaper than actual monitors and at 1080p lots of resolution. Gonna talk with my bank gal and see if she can manage a refund. I probably will have to eat the $118. I am going to see if there is another identical model out there. If not at least the same size ( 32in ) and get it in.

Have a great day!

Good morning friends! A foggy 39 here heading for cloudy and 52. Today is day #1 of my 4-day weekend and I am very glad it has arrived. The last couple days at work were both very busy and very stressful. No big plans for day off #1, but ya never know. I've got a few honey do's I need to catch up on, so some or all of that may happen. Then again, day #1 may just be a day of rest and relaxation. Time will tell.

I would like to get my proposed switching layout board down from the rafters if I get the chance over this 4 days and find a track plan that suits me to put on it. If time and the weather allow, maybe get it cleaned up and see what I can do with it. If not, there'll be another day but I'd like to do something with it.

Hope you all have a great day!

Good Morning All. Clear skies and 50° with wind gusts of 5 mph from the west, not a normal direction for the wind here. NWS still sticking to their 20° forecast for Saturday night.
I finally procrastinated long enough and removed the ashes from the wood-burning heater yesterday. I haven't had a fire in over a week, definitely no embers. My projection is that I'll have to restart it around 1400 on Saturday, that's when the wind should shift from the north.
Today is the weekly grocery/beer trek, just waiting to see how much more expensive things are. For us, the weekly cost has gone up about 20% in the last year. Everything has gone up except beer!

Thanks to all who either commented or reacted to my posts yesterday, way too many to list but nonetheless appreciated.
Here's another unusual toilet location in the front entry hall.
1640871840322.png

At least it has a partial privacy screen.

A BLT with extra bacon and mayo this morning Francine. I'll take an apple juice to wash it down with.

A slow day in the train shed yesterday as I started doing the mortar wash on the warehouse. That's always a slow process, I am maybe a third of the way one. No pictures yet.

Joe - I can still remember when "Health Authorities" were still respected and trusted individuals. They lost it with me a few years back when the CDC started considering guns as a health issue. Covid recently reinforced my skepticism. In my opinion, testing doesn't solve anything. If you're sick, then you're sick. Stay away from others! What better place to get sick than in a line with other sick people? Despite the disagreement about the effectiveness of masking, I still wear one when appropriate.
Todd - That's why I always use the AMEX card for online purchases. They will negate any disputed charges. An aside: I always pay the full bill when due and avoid any interest charges and get cash back once a year for using it.

Today is National Bacon Day, I see that Mel stocked in some extra.
Everybody have a great day. Stay safe and warm.

Good Morning All. Clear skies and 50° with wind gusts of 5 mph from the west, not a normal direction for the wind here. NWS still sticking to their 20° forecast for Saturday night.
I finally procrastinated long enough and removed the ashes from the wood-burning heater yesterday. I haven't had a fire in over a week, definitely no embers. My projection is that I'll have to restart it around 1400 on Saturday, that's when the wind should shift from the north.
Today is the weekly grocery/beer trek, just waiting to see how much more expensive things are. For us, the weekly cost has gone up about 20% in the last year. Everything has gone up except beer!

Thanks to all who either commented or reacted to my posts yesterday, way too many to list but nonetheless appreciated.
Here's another unusual toilet location in the front entry hall.
View attachment 137806
At least it has a partial privacy screen.

A BLT with extra bacon and mayo this morning Francine. I'll take an apple juice to wash it down with.

A slow day in the train shed yesterday as I started doing the mortar wash on the warehouse. That's always a slow process, I am maybe a third of the way one. No pictures yet.

Joe - I can still remember when "Health Authorities" were still respected and trusted individuals. They lost it with me a few years back when the CDC started considering guns as a health issue. Covid recently reinforced my skepticism. In my opinion, testing doesn't solve anything. If you're sick, then you're sick. Stay away from others! What better place to get sick than in a line with other sick people? Despite the disagreement about the effectiveness of masking, I still wear one when appropriate.
Todd - That's why I always use the AMEX card for online purchases. They will negate any disputed charges. An aside: I always pay the full bill when due and avoid any interest charges and get cash back once a year for using it.

Today is National Bacon Day, I see that Mel stocked in some extra.
Everybody have a great day. Stay safe and warm.
Willie - AMEX, Visa or MC - don't matter which. Just need to show justification and refund happens. I have two banks - USBank and USAA. Found that USAA is far better than USBank when it comes to contact and problems, although both get'r done. I almost always pay my balance on my credit cards within that 28day period - hate that interest! Think that I am 8%, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back