Your favorite shots of 2007!

Diesel Servicing

Janesville diesel servicing facility.

nyc_diesel_servicing.jpg

NYC_George

I got some special photos here:

My first trip to make railroad pictures, to baquedano station, an ex nitrate railroad (first image) and the acid train for the production of cooper.

and the most important for me, my first weathering...

Happy new year!!!:D

Jim, I really like your town scenes. One thing I've noticed though, is your new pine trees have a bit of a tropical feel to them. They seem to look like something I saw in Hawaii. Just an observation, I don't mean to offend. The lighting in your picture looks very realistic. Good work.

Corey, no offense taken. They actually do look like a tree you saw in Hawaii called a Norfolk Island Pine, which isn't actually a pine but kind of looks like one. I made them out of one piece of evergreen bough from WalMart, cutting and trimming the needles until they were tree shaped. My story is they are long-leaf Southen Pines - REALLY long leafed. :) I intend to replace them but I need to find a more realistic tree thats narrow enough to fit the sidewalks. One of the penalties of selective compression is sidewalks that are too narrow to have bigger trees without them sticking the second story windows. :D

Great pictures, Mike. Is that steam locomovice just sitting in the desert abandoned? It looks like a 2-8-0. Is it narrow or standard gauge?

Those second two pictures really threw me. I wondered what part of Nevada you were in. Except for tha almost complete lack of vegetation, that could be almost anywhere in southern Nevada. Is that in the Atacama desert? I wonder how long it's been since anyone has see a tie on that railroad except for that switch?

Nice job on the gondola too.

Here's mine.

The best building I've built to date (kit):
GrainSilosm2.png

The Best Locomotive I've kitbashed to date:
MVP3014sm.png

My best scratchbuilt building to date:
clementinedepot004.png

...and the first REAL locomotive I've learned how to operate!
Tilden-Party-Auction059sm.png

Great pictures, Mike. Is that steam locomovice just sitting in the desert abandoned? It looks like a 2-8-0. Is it narrow or standard gauge?
Shes in good company, there are around ten other steam ladys in this old roundhouse. take a look of my other pics from this place at http://good-times.webshots.com/album/558636283DGFOcn?vhost=good-times

All trains in the north of Chile are narrow gauge of 100mm.

Those second two pictures really threw me. I wondered what part of Nevada you were in. Except for tha almost complete lack of vegetation, that could be almost anywhere in southern Nevada. Is that in the Atacama desert?
Yes it is, the driest desert in the world, in some places it didn't in more than 80 years... in those places, there's no life (any kind).
Seven years ago, police found a skeleton in the middle of nowhere, after some test, they discover that this "guy" loose the train 75 years ago!!! so he walk and die frozen at night. How they knew it??? clothes, papers, a watch an a pencil in perfect conditions (cause its so dry...) allow to recognize him.

I wonder how long it's been since anyone has see a tie on that railroad except for that switch?
Well, this train runs everyday moving Sulfuric Acid from the big cooper mines (bhp billiton, barrick, etc), so its not a dead line (it looks like...)
Nice job on the gondola too.

Thanks so much, now im working on a caboose...hehehe

Thanks to open this tread, its an excellent idea, lets keep posting!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't do much modeling in 2007, thus few photos.

Ore dock with Fog-In-A-Can sprayed around, and a 4x8 Dow board as the backdrop:

ore_bridge.jpg

Self-painted CSXT C40-8:

c40-8_7569_topdown_front.jpg

I'm not sure whether this proto-photo was done in January 2007 or December 2006, but I figured I'd share it to compliment NSGP38-2's shots of the St Denis area. (I never knew there were any other Marylanders on this forum besides myself)
CSX_5255_trash_train.jpg

*as a reminder (seen the question pop up)* Model OR prototype, with model preferred. I'm drawing this idea from what they-ve done the past few years on Railroad Forums.

Pics

Wow Wow Wow I've forgoteen some of these awesome photos over the past year . Thanks Josn again for starting it . Here 's a couple of my meager contributions a SD45 and a CSX Boxcar !

Nice prototype pics, NS and Ken. I get to see maybe two trains a week and they are just NS turns to the paper mill here. :( Ken, is that signal bridge under cnsturction or what? I'm trying to figure out why so many of the signal heads were turned to the side.

Miles, I had look about three times to finally realize that feed mill was a model. Great construction and weathering. That Mission-style station is a beaut too. You should be glad I don't get anywhere near the big engine - I can make anything derail. :)

Mike, I guess, the Atacama desert is a good place to preserve anything, including old steam locomotives. A lot of people think that's what all deserts look like but the Atacama is a world all of it's own. Even in the Sahara, there's still some life around. The Atacama and a few parts of the Gobi desert in China are about the only truly lifeless areas in the world. I didn't mean to imply that the rail line was dead, only that the surrounding sand and rock have blown in and covered all the ties. That would be a problem in most places since the ties are supposed to be above the ballast to keep the rails and ties out of standing water. Since the ties will probably never deteriorate there and there's sure no standing water to worry about, it makes the track gang's job a lot easier.:)

Paul, I like that CSX boxcar. Who makes (or made) it?

Jim, that CSX boxcar looks like the one offered by Walthers .. Ive got a couple of them.

Thanks Josh for starting this thread!! Some really good shots from everybody - Models and Prototype ...

Well I started 2007 in On30

This a is a shot of a scracthbuilt steamer and log car on the back line and Bachmann Mogul on the front
comp2.jpg

Here a HO loco that was hacked around to make a narrow guage shunter works along side a coaster my dad built from a kit

docked-1.jpg

And bang up to date the end of 2007 saw some changes as I had dropped a scale to OO

10265.jpg

S7003044.jpg

John
RJR

Hi All

The first 2 are not really great shots but show what I am most pleased with from last years modelling. The third shot I like as a photo

Regards

Jim

crw4581.jpeg

CRW_4565.jpg

CRW_5002.jpg

My layouts have been in a state of disarray for all of 2007, but I do have a favorite photo. I got this shot of Buffalo and Pittsburgh's GP-9 coming out of the Butler Shops. The 926 was an old friend that had come in front of my shop many times as part of a coal drag.

Butler10.gif

Butler08.gif

It also gives me something to do with this.

WalthersGP-9.gif

didn't really have much in the way of HO pics. So here are a few of my 2007 shots and a few 2008. I really didn't do much this past year. But here's some of my favs.
december2ndNJTwoodridge.jpg

NJTRutherfordaugust23rd2007.jpg

March14thcsxdetour.jpg

july14thcsx748.jpg

CSXSD70ACe2007.jpg

march7thnygl2.jpg

beatingthetrain.jpg

Back