Ye OLE Coffee SHOPEE XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening all

The track plans gone right out of the window now, with my abomination of different makes of turnouts etc nothing lines up as id like so,,, i'm just working my way along one bit at a time and hoping it all comes together when we meet up back at the start :) the joys of having no money for new turnouts, i did buy a sheet of 3mm MDF though to build up the outside track 4" which will be on an embankment.

Hi Corey,
The simplest thing for you to do is to find an reasonably priced light stand or something similar and either use one of the clamp on light switch & hoods. The inexpensive spun Aluminum type are just fine, If you happen have an old one a Brillow pad and some hot water will even add more of a shine to the inside of the shade and the brushed marks help to scatter the light.

I like a One-Light effect to represent the Sun, adjust it from low to high to suit yourself. I use a 100 blub in mine which seems to work fairly well.

Try and place the light source behind and to the side of the camera and if the light looks as though it may hit the front of the lens then use something to block the light near the camera but out of the field of view. Even your free hand might work if the camera is attached to a tripod.

Depending on your cameras metering, if possible at least use a center weighted setting for more specific areas of your layout and spot metering for for specific subjects.

Use as small an aperture as possible while allowing you to retain shutter speed you desire. A shift in Iso to the next higher or two may be called for.

HTH?

Good morning everyone.

It's still in the upper twenties around here for another day. Tomorrow it dives back to arctic temperatures.

I have a short day at work so I hope to get some train time in. I'm not sure what I need to do, but I'm sure it will come to me.:) I've been trying to take some pictures of my layout, but I just don't have the right lighting. The layout is in a living room with fifteen foot ceilings so any light just disappears. I have a few lamps, but it still doesn't give the right lighting. I guess I need to rig up some spot lighting or just wait for a really sunny day!

Well, I guess I don't have much else to add today.

Have a good day everyone.

Hi Karl and Happy Belated Birthday

Your welcome Karl, glad I could be of some help.

Something else you might want to check into for cleaning out your Veins & Arteries naturally, for better blood circulation, is 'Nattokinase', again I like the 'Now brand' and get it on-line at All Star Health.com which is the least expensive place I've found it. Ps: I'm not in anyway connected with any these folks. Of course I sure wouldn't mind a commission from them!

QUOTE=kbkchooch;214700]:D Thanks David!
Even though I am NOT a big fan of pills, after reading several web pages (including the one you sent) I think I'm going to try it! Add 1 more to the 7 daily morning pills! (No wonder I don't always eat breakfast!) :eek:
The benefits for not only my legs and fingers, but my eyes too! The only consistently reported side effect is nausea. Pooh! If my ex-wifes cooking never gave me nausea, nothing will! :D:D:D

Besides, the wife loves it when I can give her an excuse to go to Target!:eek:[/QUOTE]

Whats up guys? Just put on a new keg in the kegorator local brew this time so this round is on me.

Finally did some modeling this weekend. I'm a member of the Teen Association of Model Railroads as a supporting member now, and they needed a new display layout for the Big show this weekend in mass. The guy who had the old layout could no longer move the 4x6 layout as it wont fit into a Dodge charger. So Friday night we set out to build one that could. Ended up building 3 2x4 sections with legs and bolts to hold it together. We started at 6pm and had a full frame work and track idea done by 1am. He loaded up the sections and hauled it up to mass. He got it all set up and running total time invested about 9 hours. So to any one who says they don't have the time and space i call BS

mail

Last edited by a moderator:
David,

Thanks for the tips. I may need to find a few more spot lights to take pictures at night. My camera has very little manual control so figured the more light the better. I did have a sunny day today so I was able to get a few pictures. Thanks again.

The club layout was acting up something fierce last weekend, I hope it behaves today. There were shorts galore, and where there weren't electrical problems, we had derailments.
Argh!!!!! I see Terry, Murphy's law is still around and goin strong. When ever I have any one over to look over the layout it always acts up. They leave and the next day I go to fix the problem and then there is no problem, it runs like a pickle seeder smooth as silk.
They rewired all the power supplies to the layout, and most of the electrical issues stopped. Of course, then I was having trouble with cars derailing. The weather seems to be causing the layout to warp. Now the mainline looks like a roller coaster. Strangely enough, the club's Y6B stayed on the rails, but cars were coming uncoupled and derailing. I started removing cars as they fell off the train, and by the end of the afternoon I had a 6 car train.:rolleyes: Here's a photo from about halfway through my day (and about halfway through removing my train one car at a a time). My friend from Canada is seated on the barstool in the background:

BTW, happy birthday, Karl!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. It's 49°and foggy. The high will be close to 70° with a 50% chance of rain. Rain will continue tonight.

Not much happening today. I have an appointment with the foot doc this morning. I may get some work done of the layout this afternoon, depending of course on how much my ankle hurts. I have a high tolerance of pain but I do have my limits. The human ankle is designed to be walked on as a functional unit, which mine is not. You'd think I'd have them just take it off but I'm still rather attached to it. Last nights project was to put a Bachmann FT shell on an Athearn F7 frame. It required only a small amount of cutting but it was quickly accomplished.

Good morning everyone.

We're getting another 6 to 8 inches of snow right now. It's not that big of a deal except our season's 60 inches of snow hasn't melted yet. It's all piled up around the city. There's really nowhere to put it. Oh well, I may be spending the day shoveling and reading at work.

Speaking of work, the damn lights are off again today.:rolleyes: The reason is that if very few people come in then we don't need to be able to see. I made the comment of as long as I don't have any work to do behind the front counter then I don't mind. He said," are your eyes really that bad?" Then he walked into the office and turned on the extra lights. The office is brighter than the store with half it's lights on. Oh no, he needs ALL of the lights in the office!:mad:
Rant over!

Progress continues on the small town. I need to make a large purchase of small detail items to flesh it out. Items like light poles, stop signs, utility poles, crossing signs, fire hydrants, mail boxes, and all the other goodies that bring the town to life. I'm thinking I better do all of the modeling I can with the existing supplies before I start spending money. Since we're starting another IVF cycle, I need all of my cash. We'll see how things go.

I better get back to not working.

Have a good day everyone.

Corey: ask the boss to buy some mirrors for reflecting the office lighting to the front...or buy some candles :rolleyes::D.

afterthought: better not...he may do just that! :D

Corey: ask the boss to buy some mirrors for reflecting the office lighting to the front...or buy some candles :rolleyes::D.

afterthought: better not...he may do just that! :D

That's the problem, every time I suggest something completely ludicrous, he agrees! He's gone now and the lights are back on.:p

The white crap continues to fall.

I think we may close early because of the weather. At least, that's the official reason!:D

Good Afternoon Guys,

I was able to get more work done on my 'C&S West Short Line as I finished up building one switch for the lead track/s to the Five Oaks station loading dock which also services McClanahans Freight House on the East side and the initial lead will split to allow a second line on the West side of the freight house. I also rebuild a prior switch as pc strip under the frog, should have been two strips, wasn't holding the rail properly so I unsoldered the couple spots that were holding and found the under side of the strip was also copper clad so that made an easy fix by just turning it to the good side, cleaning and tinning it and then doing the sane ti the under side of the rail web, repositioning it and checking gauge and resoldering it.

I now need to make a right hand switch for the added siding in front of the Five Oaks Station and the main line track and station track. This added siding was an after thought from what was planned but should help to add a lot more interest and extra operation to the area. This is the reason L girder bench work is so convenient as it a simple thing to extend the joits for the added extention along the frond edge as planned. Actually I left almost enough extra space from what was going to be the edge to add an additional track but it would be more crowded then I'd like.

Change of subject:
While I'm fairly healthy for the most part, Thank God, my life for the past four years has been a bit of a living hell dealing with legal issues concerning my Mom and her care as well as the damn county trying to accuse me of abuse of my mother when nothing is further from the truth and they are claiming they have control even though
they're whole case against me was built upon fabricated situations and in reality it is they who are guilty of abuse of not properly ensuring her proper care as well as falsely accusing me as I most definitely was an elder too when this whole damn mess started.

To top all this off I'm having one hell of a time to locate an Elder Abuse Atty who will take my case or that of my mothers. They advertise the same situations that happened to my mother is what they deal with but back out before even looking into the situation. I can't understand what's going on?? Possibly they think there is not enough money involved for them?

Then on top of this, because I took care of my folks for the last 35 plus years with a spotty work history my Social Security, as they claim I'm due, is very small even though I always paid in, the maximum when I could, through my self employment tax. The clowns even sent the money back to me on time and I had to return it to them and told them to apply it to my my account.

Seems like one damn thing after the next. Maybe that's why I can relate to, 'A#1 & the Emperor of the North', so readly.

By God, I resolve my situations yet, 'Where there's a Will, There's a Way'! I have some legal background having successfully taken an Eastern Insurance Company to Court and won the suit, but it's often harder to see woods when your already in them.

End of my Rant.

One thing for sure we all have our problems, one way or another!

Take care and hope all you guys have a good day!

David I hate Bureaucrats, most of them cannot see the forest for the trees.

Larry, I got a train growing on my farm, along with my garden railway! Oh joy!:rolleyes:

Change of subject, I got my first interview with Lowes last Saturday! I'm waiting on the second interview, if I make it to that point I got the job! This will make a big difference in my income for the better! A what ever they offer for a discount for store stuff!!!!!!:eek:OMG... The things I can get done around here! I hope to hear from them before the end of the week! Pray fer me PLEASE!

Speaking of "old farts": Happy Belated Birthday, Karl!

Thanks Dave, Terry, Rex and all the others (who managed to NOT be late!) :rolleyes:

Especially you Rex. Yes you, he who remebers when his little brother Methusala was born! Callin me an old fart! :eek: You got yer nerve!!:p

but seriously,

It's nice to know who your friends are.:)

I`m just trying to figure out what torture to dole out to 2 of my sons. The youngest (15) called me on my birthday, as did my 2 stepsons (22 & 26) HOWEVER my 19 and 21 year old sons did NOT! The 19 year old has a birthday of his own coming up in 20 days!:eek:
Granted, none of them live here, and the 19 year old is going to college, but still, I know for a fact that thier mother did remind them. Heck, she even wish me a happy birthday too (as I handed over the child support ofr the youngest one) :rolleyes:
Kids..........can't sell em.........can't eat em,,,,,,,what to do??????

David I hate Bureaucrats, most of them cannot see the forest for the trees.

Thanks Larry, I'll agree with you on that and what's more frustrating is that they want to seem to tell others how to think and act, as if they had all the answers. Only for themselves I'm sure.

Thanks Larry, I'll agree with you on that and what's more frustrating is that they want to seem to tell others how to think and act, as if they had all the answers. Only for themselves I'm sure.
That's one reason we no longer live in Cancerfornia.
"Welcome to the Golden State. Give us your gold!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back