Ye OLE Coffee SHOPEE XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The evening report, the temp pretty constant all day only warming slightly and now at about 8:30Pm it 30* out with a lot of moisture in the air. I guess the valley to the South and West was pretty well socked in due to fog.

My order from Micro-Mark got here so now I have even more stuff to contend with and find spots for. I guess I'd better start building shelving under some of my tables to store some of this stuff. Well anyway I now have plenty of scratch building supplies.

I wanted to bye a few bottles of Floquill paint but just couldn't bring my self to pay $4.50
or more for a little bottle. I think I'll take a look at badger as well as another old company whose name I can't think of right now.

Have a good safe night and stay warm.

01/06/2011

Good Morning ! from Tipton IN.
anim_coffee.png

anim_snoopy.png

1.png

:eek:

I wanted to bye a few bottles of Floquill paint but just couldn't bring my self to pay $4.50
or more for a little bottle. I think I'll take a look at badger as well as another old company whose name I can't think of right now.

Scalecoat? Accu-paint? Pactra, Tamaiya? Testors? :confused:

Funny, how many different brands of paint I have on my paint rack right now. Thank goodness my LHS only charges $3.75 for Floquil! :D

(I can remember getting it for less than 2 bucks a bottle!)

Good morning folks

It was 24 F as I rolled out of the driveway this morning. Our high will be 35 F.

Is this the calm before the storm? We may get some snow tonight and once again I have to go grocery shopping. This time it is with my son for his Boy Scout patrol and their camping trip this weekend. Hopefully we will not be in the middle of another bread and milk panic. This weekend is Winter Survival and it may actually look like winter if we get snow tonight. Last year we did not have snow but the overnight temperature was 12 F. This year it is predicated to only go down to 25 F.

Yesterday was my wife’s birthday so we went out to dinner. Afterward we had cake and she opened her gifts.

Tonight is volleyball practice for my daughter and the above mentioned shopping trip.

I hope everybody has a good day.

Good morning. It's 41° and sunny. The high will be 61° and it will be mostly sunny.

Nothing going on here today (yet). No dead birds or fish found here (yet). Plenty of corrupt political dealings going on (always). Will any layout work get done today. Maybe. For now my eyes are hurting and it's difficult to focus on the screen so I'll be on for short periods today. My blood sugar level was 79 when I checked it earlier this morning. I'd rather have it low than high so I'm not too worried about it. I finally got the 50' AHM gondola stripped, repainted and put back together but at 2.5 ounces it's somewhat lacking in weight. A scrap load with some chunks of lead thrown in will take care of that.

It's 23 here with a high of 24. It's very cloudy today with no sunshine. Tonight is a low of 17, with a breeze to make it down to 9 wind chill.

I just got up from lying back down after I got my boys ready for school. I've got to clean today. Well, I have to clean every day, but I have to clean extra special today, because I didn't clean very much yesterday. I've just been so tired over the last day that I don't want to do much of anything. I am going to go down and start sanding the basement. My oldest son had taped and mudded it for me. He is a lot better at it than I am. So, sanding is easier than mudding at least. I just want to get my trains put back together. I don't have anything to do in the evenings except watch TV and I don't care for much that is on. It is so boring! Oh well, I just have to suffer thru it until I can put it back together. I hope everybody is doing okay, and doing well. Have a good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNKFLOYD View Post
Any suggestions of a favorite scene you like?
A lynch mob hanging a politician?

Join the Que,,, i got the rope ready,,, lets have a lynching

Good afternoon everyone.

I'm at work taking a break before the big rush. We have over 100 kids coming in to pick up tuxedos. I think I'm going to need a few days off after this craziness! Between the rush of customers and the rash of stupid customers I think I need some train time. It's either that or Miller Time!:D

I'm also fighting a cold so I'm tired and in no mood to deal with anything.

Have a great day everyone.

I don't envy you Corey. My wife is a teacher and puts in a lot of unpaid overtime tutoring kids and just taking care of things that are teenager related. It's a hard row to hoe at times.

Scalecoat? Accu-paint? Pactra, Tamaiya? Testors? :confused:

Funny, how many different brands of paint I have on my paint rack right now. Thank goodness my LHS only charges $3.75 for Floquil! :D

(I can remember getting it for less than 2 bucks a bottle!)
...Yeah, and I bet you remember a .05c Coke.:rolleyes::D

Mikey: I don't remember an Alabama/Auburn scene on the Wrecking Crew layout. How about some fans arguing. That would fit any time period (even going back as far when you were a pup.:rolleyes:) My favorite/funniest scene on the layout (I hope you still have it.), is the guy launching the boat at the campground and it is obvious that the rope broke. If I remember correctly, his wife is in the boat:eek::D. EDIT: I just looked at an old, not so good, photo and it looks like I was wrong about the wife. Instead, the boat is half sunk with someone hanging on to it :confused:. Oh well, it's funny anyway and brings back an uncomfortable memory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't remember the .05 coke but do the .10 coke, .35 cig's, and Regular gas .28.9 and Ethel .32.9 during a price war. If you didn't lower your price to meet the guy across the street you sat there with all of your customers going to your competition. Of course I was only making $1.00 an hour at the gas station and hired into General Motors in 1966 for $2.70 an hour.

Good Afternoon All from Cold Central Calif,

It was foggy earlier but that has lifted but the temp is still only about 34 to 36* outside, too chilly for me.

Say Karl: Thanks for the reminder, it was 'ScaleCoat' I first used when I first got into HO, at about age 9, I think it was, as that's what Dad used to bring home along with Ulrich kits I used to assemble.

Say Rex: Your not supposed to create scenes that bring back bad memories Bud,
that not helping to keep the modeling/layout going. I've got little to talk about in that department though as your much further along than I'm. Probably due to the fact that I see things as I go along that could worked in but weren't planned on. Actually from that
standpoint I changed my plan shortly after adding the first extention table to my initial bench work. I could see where I needed to flop things both from a realistic distance standpoint as well as available realestate so that does slow things down a bit but all for the better.

I'm not sure how much a Coke cost but I do remember penny candy as the neighbors owned a 5 & Dime store and we thought it was horriable when candy went up to two cents. Gasoline was $.10 cents a gallon too I think. Ya, some bad memories but a lot of good ones too!!

Good to talk with everyone.

David: LOL:D That's alright, Bama will be back!
I know where you are coming from in changing locations on the layout: moving, adding, subtracting, deleting, etc. Ask anyone that saw my layout a few years ago and they will tell you most everything has been moved or changed today including: steel mill complex,large Central Yard, towns. Heck, why start all over...just tear out and start again. Only problem I'm having is finding a place for some of the kits I bought before the changes :eek:.

A 05c Coke was back when they were in a box with ice cold water for the sodas to sit in (and then, for awhile, in machines). You reached in, grabbed one, shook off the cold water, and opened it on the opener attached to the side of the box (I can still smell the inside of the box). Yeah, they were in real glass bottles. Of course all of this was when cigarettes were 25c a pack, gas 30c/gal regular price, pack of gum 5c, candy bar 5c, and you didn't lock your house doors unless you were going away overnight. Heck, two dollars would be a date with a girlfriend that included a movie, gas, and a snack. Have you guys ever thought about the collation of wives working with increase in prices or increase in prices causing wives to work. Hmmm! (Another chicken vs. the egg.:confused:)

There I go, meandering again:eek::rolleyes:. I gotta find something to do :eek::D.

I remember nickel cokes, but you had to drink them at the store. The 2 cent deposit would put me over my allowance. A Reese Cup was a nickel as well. I had to buy the Coke, drink it, get the deposit back, then get the Reese cup.

David: LOL:D That's alright, Bama will be back!
I know where you are coming from in changing locations on the layout: moving, adding, subtracting, deleting, etc. Ask anyone that saw my layout a few years ago and they will tell you most everything has been moved or changed today including: steel mill complex,large Central Yard, towns. Heck, why start all over...just tear out and start again. Only problem I'm having is finding a place for some of the kits I bought before the changes :eek:.

A 05c Coke was back when they were in a box with ice cold water for the sodas to sit in (and then, for awhile, in machines). You reached in, grabbed one, shook off the cold water, and opened it on the opener attached to the side of the box (I can still smell the inside of the box). Yeah, they were in real glass bottles. Of course all of this was when cigarettes were 25c a pack, gas 30c/gal regular price, pack of gum 5c, candy bar 5c, and you didn't lock your house doors unless you were going away overnight. Heck, two dollars would be a date with a girlfriend that included a movie, gas, and a snack. Have you guys ever thought about the collation of wives working with increase in prices or increase in prices causing wives to work. Hmmm! (Another chicken vs. the egg.:confused:)

There I go, meandering again:eek::rolleyes:. I gotta find something to do :eek::D.

My dad grew up during the depression and I heard all the stories!:rolleyes: When gas was 30c a gallon, sig 25c a pack, and $2 gota where ya wanted to go..... what was minimum wage? Now back in 1985 when I was in my late teens, I remember working for BK and minimum wage was 3.35 and hour and Gas was 98c a gallon!! and $20.00 got me where I wanted to go!

I don't remember 5¢ Coke as that was discontinued in 1959, just a little before my time. I do however remember somewhat remember 10¢ Coke and later 15¢ Coke.

Rex- the fan fight may be a workable scene.
I wonder how many spectators will realize the 1957 sign for API (Alabama Polytechnical Institute) is now known as Auburn University?
Maybe, with a little literary license.... an orange AUBURN sign?

Do you remember which football team was prominate in 1957?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back