Workbench

My model railroading activities are relegated to a small corner of the living room:

workbench.jpg

It's no longer that clean, but you get the idea. It works well enough for building stuff, but I have to go outside to paint, which means I only get the airbrush out in the summer.

Someday I'll have a basement... hopefully...

Chris

Hawkeye251 said:
My model railroading activities are relegated to a small corner of the living room:

.....It's no longer that clean, but you get the idea.
I was always told that a clean desk is a sign of a sick mind. :D

I've two work places, my dispatchers desk where I install decoders and do other fine work:

P6243063_1200.jpg

and I've a "table" for painting, soldering with a torch etc:

P6243069_1200.jpg

Wolfgang

GrandpaCoyote said:
Here is mine. :) Back in the train room with the new florring in.

ooh... hardwood floors... wish I had those, my roll-y chair is always getting stuck on the carpet... not to mention all the detail parts that have made suicidal nose dives down there.

Know what you mean! I about broke my back scooting my big ol' office chair around on the carpet. I finally splurged and bought a plastic carpet protector with little barbs on the bottom that doesn't flatten the nap on the carpet or slip around.

A 4 x 4-foot piece of masonite works well, too. Its only disadvantage is that with the chair's weight in the center, the edges tend to raise just enough to stub your toes on.

My workbench has been around for many years, knocked it together about 20 years ago out of two by fours and half inch plywood. Has been taken apart and reassembled in at least four of our last homes. There's a shelf above with lotsa junk and parts cabinets. On the far left on the bottom is my 200 CD changer, amplifier above it, dual cassette deck above that. On the far right is an LCD TV and DVD player under it. TV is on a rotating stand, as my computer desk is just to the right. I can swivel the TV whereever I'm at. Metal drawers under workbench are surplus government items I got for free from a friend, four rows of four drawers each - all full of stuff too!

My supplies/parts/junk cabinet is in the other photo, it's to the left of the workbench. Contains supplies, tools, paint, etc.

I did clean up the workbench before I took the photo!

I have two workbenches that I use for various tasks. The first is where my micro saw and router table are located. As I get more dedicated hobby power tools, they will be added here. The second is my main workbench which is made from an old Square Piano That was going to thrown out by A church I used to work at. I win! Nobody has a messier desk than this one! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
In my search for another topic I stumbled upon this old topic and thought I would bring it up to the top

100_1405.png

Last edited by a moderator:
CSXPAID......... (Shaking head......) You obviously have a warped mind...... You can't possibly be thinking of working on that desk! No! No! No! You must be new to the hobby?

Now, This is a RR hobby work desk:

SelfPhoto01w.png

SelfPhoto02w.png

You probably take valuable time out from the hobby to "put things away" and make sure all the tools are returned to their proper place so you will know where they are when you want to use them... You are also very likely one of those sickos that cleans up spills and wipes up messes aren't you.

Truly warped individual.........!!!

(Nice space actually!)

CSXPAID......... (Shaking head......) You obviously have a warped mind...... You can't possibly be thinking of working on that desk! No! No! No! You must be new to the hobby?

Now, This is a RR hobby work desk:

SelfPhoto01w.png

SelfPhoto02w.png

You probably take valuable time out from the hobby to "put things away" and make sure all the tools are returned to their proper place so you will know where they are when you want to use them... You are also very likely one of those sickos that cleans up spills and wipes up messes aren't you.

Truly warped individual.........!!!

(Nice space actually!)

Thanks, most days it looks alot worse, but I do like to take time to clean it up every couple of days I find I have alot more workspace if there isnt a bunch of stuff laying on it!!

I'd take a pic of mine, but I'd have to find it first. Come to think of it, my workbench is any flat surface within reach. Drives my dad nuts. :D

csxpaid, very nice work space. Mine is still our dining room table LOL even after moving into a bigger apartment and having my own "hobby closet" to store everything and have a work bench fit in if i ever build it.

I took advantage of the parting out of my Mom's house, and grabbed a hardly used computer table to use as a workbench. To protect the surface I added a piece of tempered glass to the top. Not only protects kit instructions, but also CA, paint, and other chemicals come right off with a razor blade. Plus its a nice flat surface for kit assembly!
workbench.JPG

It might be under the basement steps, but I can also see the TV from there!:D Pkus under the steps it doesn't do one thing, and thats taking up valuable real estate otherwise used for the layout!:D

welcome to the mancave. messier than normal because im just finishing up my thrall gondola projects. i normally straighten up and organize between projects. this is really just candid.

mc1.jpg

mc2.jpg

Here is mine. The winter is my "busy" time. I have not been able to do anything on it for quite a while now.

100_2350.png

Back