Walthers Great Circus Train Accessories

The McCoy Set came out in 1993. The Walthers number was 932-904. It was to be available only in the amount of kits that were pre-ordered by May 1, 1993.

The original Tim McCoy circus had the following cars:

Stock Cars-8
91-98

101_0391.jpg

Flat Cars-12
70-81

101_0393.jpg

Passenger Cars-10 (I've got 4 more to paint and decal yet)
40 CHEYENNE
41 ARAPAHO
42 NAVAJO
43 COMANCHE
44 OSAGE
45 LAKOTA
46 BLACKFOOT
47 PAWNEE
48 APACHE
49 ADVERTISING CAR 1

101_0390.jpg

And here are the wagons I've done so far.

101_0396.jpg

101_0398.jpg

Out of all of the Walthers Circus sets to collect, this is by far the most expensive and hard to come by. They come in a 4 boxed set (2 stock cars and 4 flat cars, plus a decal sheet and styrene logo sheet).

101_0394.jpg

Finding them is the first trick, then getting them at a reasonable price is another. Make sure if you get a set it has the decals!! Those are very hard to come by and nobody will re-make them, I've tried!! The next expensive part is filling all of those flat cars!!

I visited a store last wednesday that had 10 walthers great circus kits sitting on a shelf with other HO stuff. I dont remember seeing the prices for them.

Wow. Now thats pretty impressive for sure Jerome. I dont recall ever seeing any sort of ad for that train before either. But you sure have a nice setup for a train there. Wont see many of those on others layouts.

Was there an exclusive locomotive for that set as well?

Also, can you post some tips on how you applied the decals? Im going to have to decal this stock car I have on the way and I really, really dont want to screw up a unobtainable decal for this car.

Chris, the Tim McCoy circus only had 2 shows before it went into bankruptcy. It was in Chicago then Washington DC.

http://www.b-westerns.com/mccoy2.htm

For my train I'm going to use a CNW Mike to pull it. Still need to finish that engine and send it off to Crandell for weathering.

As for decals, gloss coat it, decal it, gloss coat it, dull coat. That has always worked for me. I use Champ's decal set, other kinda are Micro-Sol/Micro-Set, Walthers Solaset, Testors Decal set, and a few others. It's just personal preference really.

The original Tim McCoy circus had the following cars:
Passenger Cars-10 (I've got 4 more to paint and decal yet)
40 CHEYENNE
41 ARAPAHO
42 NAVAJO
43 COMANCHE
44 OSAGE
45 LAKOTA
46 BLACKFOOT
47 PAWNEE
48 APACHE
49 ADVERTISING CAR 1

101_0390.jpg

The passenger cars look great! I don't think I ever got any passenger cars for my McCoy Train, which kits did you use?

Out of all of the Walthers Circus sets to collect, this is by far the most expensive and hard to come by. They come in a 4 boxed set (2 stock cars and 4 flat cars, plus a decal sheet and styrene logo sheet).

Ain't that the truth! It takes 4 sets to model the whole train, I only have managed to get two so far. I missed one on Ebay in Nov :mad:

Finding them is the first trick, then getting them at a reasonable price is another. Make sure if you get a set it has the decals!! Those are very hard to come by and nobody will re-make them, I've tried!! The next expensive part is filling all of those flat cars!!

Walthers only listed 3 kits as specific for the McCoy, which other wagons are you using?

This is some very useful information ( and good looking trains ) you've posted about the McCoy Jerome, thanks!

The passenger cars look great! I don't think I ever got any passenger cars for my McCoy Train, which kits did you use?

I used Athearn Heavyweight passenger cars.

Ain't that the truth! It takes 4 sets to model the whole train, I only have managed to get two so far. I missed one on Ebay in Nov :mad:

It took me over 3 years to collect the right number of cars for this set. Then somehow I ended up with 3 extras (2 flats and 1 stock car). They went fast on ebay though.

Walthers only listed 3 kits as specific for the McCoy, which other wagons are you using?

I used a little modelers license for the wagons. There isn't many made specifically for Tim McCoy's circus train.

This is some very useful information ( and good looking trains ) you've posted about the McCoy Jerome, thanks!

Thank you Joe!! :D For some reason the Tim McCoy story just interested me. I had the complete Walthers set before but I let it all go and decided to concentrate on the McCoy set.

I've got the complete Great Circus Train, still tweaking a few wagons...

I've got the 2nd in the series, the James Strates Carnival Train, adding wagons still. My Strates Train shows just how bad of a model builder I am...lol

I've got the Royal American Train, never could really figure out how I wanted to fill the flats...

I've got the Cole Brothers Train, still working on the wagons...

My fave is the Tim McCoy too, got a long ways to go on finishing it...

If you sold Great Circus Train wagons on Ebay, depending on when it was, I probably bought some of them.

I had it shipped to my parents house as I live in a condo and I dont trust getting stuff dropped off here. I was there Sunday and it hadnt showed up yet. Im thinking it may have showed up yesterday or today (tuesday as I type this) and I didnt get a chance to get over there. I plan to check tomorrow.

Still nothing today. They sent me a tracking number the day I placed the order and I had to go back and find that email. Seems it wont be here until the 8th.

So now I have a decision to make. Take a chance and keep my fingers crossed that the package arrives in good condition, the circus car is in good condition and complete with all parts. Or, bid on this current ebay auction which ends in a few hours and take a chance that one will at least be a good one.

My hope was that the Western Depot package would have arrived by now so I can decide on if I need to bid on the ebay item or not.

Im kind of dissappointed however, its my understanding that the snow storm and weather last week over Christmas made a difference in delivery times. Whether thats true or not I dont know though.

Oh yea, I forgot about this thread. It did indeed end up arriving on the 8th in good condition. I remember the last time I posted on this thread above that I did in fact get a tracking number sent to me and went to go track it and it showed it was in route at that time and expected to arrive Jan 8th. So, it did arrive on the day it was supposed to and was packed nice and I was happy with the purchase. I ended up buying a bunch of other misc. cars as well. Including the Limited Edition 3 car set of Accurail CNW covered hoppers I was looking for so I grabbed those as well as a few other Athearn BB freight car kits.

They actually shrink wrap thier car kits so the contents dont fall out. You can still take the lid off the boxes but you have to cut the silophane to get to the contents. I havent cut open any of the kits yet including the circus car. But I have no reason to believe anything is missing. I probably should tear it open and verify everything is there, especially the impossible to replace decals.

So with all this rambling aside. Im happy with my purchase with them and I would buy stuff from them again. Thanks Joe for giving me the heads up that they had it in the first place.:cool:

I'm glad it worked out and that your GCT collection is finally complete.

And wouldn't you know it, another one showed up on ebay...lol

Back