Running Bear's September 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swal - I recently witnessed a similar incident at my local Home Depot, but instead of confronting, a number of employees and a few customers, surrounded the guy and blocked his exit until the police arrived. One of the customers had an open carry weapon clearly visible so the culprit didn't try anything stupid after that.
Wille I guess the NY Home Depots have different rules on how to confront someone stealing. All the assistant cashers I've talked with told me their not to confront anyone who's walks out without paying. I don't think I own any of their stock, but I'd be getting rid of it if I did. It's got to be hurting their profit margin and turning the country into a hell hole at the same time.
Swal

Swal - I recently witnessed a similar incident at my local Home Depot, but instead of confronting, a number of employees and a few customers, surrounded the guy and blocked his exit until the police arrived. One of the customers had an open carry weapon clearly visible so the culprit didn't try anything stupid after that.

You're in Texas.

Texas (and other places not on either coast) have different opinions on this than do the coasts.

Sherrel - I read earlier today that sore throat may be a symptom of the latest round of China Virus. If you haven't already done so, you might want to get tested. I don't know about the reliability of the news article that was linked by MSN.

I'm not sure why you'd want to test. Will it change anything? If you think it might be that virus, assume it is and act accordingly.

Ham, sausage,eggs,hashbrowns(shredded), & OJ is required this am. need food to replace the cigarettes I havent had for 48 hrs. Its a start & everything has a starting point
Some more pics of the RR museum stop.

Good call on the cigarettes. Been 12 years without them, and at the prices they demand these days, think of all the smoke money you can spend on trains!

Ham, sausage,eggs,hashbrowns(shredded), & OJ is required this am. need food to replace the cigarettes I havent had for 48 hrs. Its a start & everything has a starting point
Moer: Hang in there with the lack of nicotine. Takes about a week to get the crap out of your system ( physical stuff ). Then all ya have to worry about is the brain stuff. To me, that is the hardest part. I had to change my ...um... normal routines to help with that. I.E. No coffee 1st thing in the morning as that was also the 1st coffin nail tooo. After meals is another - I got up from the table and did something physical to keep the brain from wanting. You might do this stuff a completely different way although what ever you choose, stick with it.

Good luck and toe the line!

Later

Good call on the cigarettes. Been 12 years without them, and at the prices they demand these days, think of all the smoke money you can spend on trains!
Not only money - time. Regular cig takes 5 to 6 minutes to suck it dry. Smoke a pack a day and you are looking at almost 2 hours of time wasted. Sure, you can smoke and work but I digress. You can do the math on time per year!

Later

Congratulations on making it that long.

My father used to say he could quit anytime he wanted, and had done so rather often (quit smoking, that is). But he always went back.

He died in 1996 from a massive heart attack. He knew it was coming, and made the final calls, then left a note by his bed that amounted to his last will and testament.

They said he'd gone outside for a smoke break (no smoking in the apts he was in) and keeled over. He went out with a cigarette in his hand.

Smoking was probably the main risk factor he had.

I've never been a smoker other than the few trial cigs as a teen. I'm in regular conversations about my heart health with my own doc. So far, he's not worried about it.

So, getting off the cancer sticks now can only help. I wish you the best. And hopefully, you don't quit as often as my father did.

Good morning. 81° inside, 88° outside, going to 90°, before the thunder and rain arrive. The dual capacitor on our°° AC condenser failed, burning a wire in the process. :mad:. When I got up and the thermostat showed 78°, when it was set for 74°, and I knew I had a problem. Called My regular HVAC company, and they were there before 1000. Now, the system has to bring the temperature down to the thermostat setting. $277.33 later, it's (hopefully) fixed...:rolleyes:. It is a 20 year old system , after all.

The reason he is switching my BP meds is because he noticed a lot of skin bruising on my arms. With the current BP med, I bruise very easily,
Terry: My arms bruise easily, and have for over a year now. The heart valve group attributes that to my blood thinner which is 81mm aspirin...The only BP med I currently take is Lasix, the water pill. I'm not so sure. Dr. Referral, told me to see a dermatologist.

The TV talking heads are hyping Hurricane Lee, ignoring the Tropical Storm (Margot), which is following. They are also still hyping the extreme heat,even in places where it is not extreme...

Attachments

• 1694191068024.png
    1694191068024.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 1694191104847.png
    1694191104847.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 33
Afternoon all,

Vacation has started and the wife isn't feeling well. New meds have her system screwed up. So I hung a replacement over the stove microwave, made a landfill run for the local daughter and fixed a minor issue with a conduit cover on her house. We should have just removed it as the wires in the conduit are cut off and abandoned anyway. Then I spackled more of the walls here at the house and made lunch and I am now on here.

I can't wait for the wind to shift this darn smoke out of here. Kind of hazy and smoky.
Supposed to get to 95° today.

Got a few smaller tomatoes, just enough precip to cause them to split. I also got a couple of cucumbers and 2 peppers. Even the peppers are growing weird. What are supposed to be bell peppers, look a lot like a habanero pepper. They are long and thin, but sweet like a bell. They just don't get big around. I wonder if they were mismarked,, or something wrong in the mix. They are producing late due to someone planting them too close to the tomatoes and the shielding them with the corn.

Moermusic: Good luck with the quitting smoking.

BBL

Interesting article about a guy in NYC building (and weathering! 😍) models and ending up making money off it. I doubt that's in the cards for me, but it's fun to think about.

Afternoon All,

Yesterday was miserable. Son and I spent about 90 mins out in the heat and it wasted me. Even after drinking 60 oz of water and electrolyte drink my mouth was bone dry. When I was in bed I hurt everywhere and couldn't get comfortable and ended getting up for the bathroom 4 times. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep. I feel a bit better today but am pretty tired.

Started out the morning taking Dad to the ER because his nose has been bleeding off and on since Sunday and it wouldn't stop today. The doc cauterized the blood vessel causing the issues and it seems to be fixed now.

Swal- It's ridiculous how theft laws are not enforced.

Terry- Nice video.

Willie- That's what Dad always said about the heat. Nice layout shots.

Troy- That pizza looks yummy.

moermusic-Nice photos. I wish you luck with the cigarettes. I quit in the 80's after MOH put my small kids up to telling me they didn't want me to die because I smoked.

Joe- They have to have a crisis. Our local weather guy says they both will be fish storms.

I hope everyone has a good night.

1694201875792.png

Good thing the tech came this morning, once the thunder and rain showed up, just after lunch, the world has cooled down.

Moermusic: Congratulations, Good luck with the quitting smoking. I quit in 1998 and don't miss it a bit. Stay with it.

Patrick: Sorry your wife isn't feeling well. There is a sweet pepper that's long and thin, tastes like a bell pepper, but has a different name. Had them in the garden a couple years ago. I have found a lot of mislabeling with plant stock.

Getting real dark again,maybe round three of the rain?

Curt: Mostly everything this year has been a fish storm. Only takes one, though.

One thing for sure, my lawn guy won't be here today.

You see what these new electric cars do?

Is your car tracking your SEX LIFE? Popular brands including Nissan and Kia collect 'deeply personal data' including sexual activity and weight, study finds​

'Smart' cars from the world's top brands – including Nissan, Volkswagen and Elon Musk's Tesla – gather data via sensors, microphones, cameras, apps and more.

After being collected, car makers share the data with tech firms, governments, car dealers, data brokers and even other drivers, the report claims.

There's listening and filming you while you're driving. One of the Fox New casters said, I'm so glad I still drive my Ford pickup with roll down window cranks.

Swal

Wille I guess the NY Home Depots have different rules on how to confront someone stealing. All the assistant cashers I've talked with told me their not to confront anyone who's walks out without paying.
It's not so much different rules towards confrontation, as no one actually confronted this man. They just all passively surrounded him and let the openly armed fellow prominently show himself. He never unholstered, just was in a ready stance. There's a Walmart about two blocks away, so it didn't take cops long to show up. At this Home Depot, all of the self-checkout lanes lead into a narrow one way aisle to get to the door, so it doesn't take many people to trap someone. And in this case, several customers filled in as well. Some were probably just caught up in the queue. Texas has open carry laws (as well as concealed weapon laws) that protect citizens who wish to carry arms. It's not the "Wild West", but the attitude is the same.

It's not so much different rules towards confrontation, as no one actually confronted this man. They just all passively surrounded him and let the openly armed fellow prominently show himself. He never unholstered, just was in a ready stance. There's a Walmart about two blocks away, so it didn't take cops long to show up. At this Home Depot, all of the self-checkout lanes lead into a narrow one way aisle to get to the door, so it doesn't take many people to trap someone. And in this case, several customers filled in as well. Some were probably just caught up in the queue. Texas has open carry laws (as well as concealed weapon laws) that protect citizens who wish to carry arms. It's not the "Wild West", but the attitude is the same.

"An armed society is a polite society."

expanded:

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Is your car tracking your SEX LIFE? Popular brands including Nissan and Kia collect 'deeply personal data' including sexual activity and weight, study finds

Who invites their car into their bedroom? And I'd hope most of us are past the "back seat rumble" phase.

Though I'd not be buying a car from anyone that does this. Not their business where, how, etc I drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back