Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have made homemade sauerkraut before. It wasn't all that difficult and the taste was very good, but it required a lot of attention several times a day over a 4-6 week period of constant temperatures. I now buy Boar's Head brand.
All I have ever done is chop and salt the cabbage. Then cover it with water and place a ceramic plate on top to keep it below the water level. I check every couple of days and replace any salt water that has evaporated. What am I neglecting to do?

I've never had Boar's Head; I'll look for it and try it.

I buy Silver Floss in the bag for the holidays. It's the brand my Mom bought. It's a staple of our thanksgiving and my wife cooks her Hungarian stuffed cabbage in sauerkraut for Christmas.

Homemade sauerkraut is the best. I have a batch fermenting now to have this thanksgiving. It already smells like sauerkraut.

I'll eat any kind straight out of the can. I buy a few cans whenever I see them on sale. Private label or name brands, it's all good for me. I'll eat it with a fork right out of the can. I also take it straight from the can to eat with hotdogs. My Mom liked it roasted in the oven with a pork roast, I do too! It's great with a fatty piece of pork, or bacon, or sausages slowly cooked in a crock pot. I love sauerkraut!

Good evening all. A large Pusser's Rum Gunpowder Proof please, Flo.

A busy day today moving some furniture around. Most going in the train room; (not impressed but had to). I had to put camp beds down as family are staying here this weekend. We are celebrating three birthdays with a party. Two of our grandchildren have just had their birthdays, another grandchild has his soon. This weekend is the only time we can get together.

The levers in the signal box.

SAM_0565 by David Harrison, on Flickr

British Red Squirrels (not to be confused with those over the pond.) British red ones are small and are being 'driven out' by larger grey ones

IMG_4010 by David Harrison, on Flickr

I hope that you saved one of GARRY's that showed that Burlington train crossing the BIG bridge/trestle?
4043-af8c86d91efaa8862303b764ebfa7aac.jpg

Do you have to remove one set of shingles -- or two? I know that some folks roof over the old roof?
Removing two, the originals put on in 1980, and the second layer that I put on in 2001. All must come off since some of the decking needs replacing.

All I have ever done is chop and salt the cabbage. Then cover it with water and place a ceramic plate on top to keep it below the water level. I check every couple of days and replace any salt water that has evaporated. What am I neglecting to do?
You're not neglecting anything. For me, I needed to check the salt water level every day due to evaporation. Maybe overkill, but I also had to remove scum about once a week.

Well, howdy there internet peepls

I made myself a set, but I got rushed.

399723722_18391014343035711_6574915339215648509_n.jpg

Had a bit of drill bit drift. I need to tape over the worst of the holes, get a smaller bit, and redrill pilot holes.

that's repurposed from an old piece of painted backdrop I stored in the garage that got some water damage.

Also, I'm tempted to get a model kit and do some recreating....

So many of the staff at work had no trouble thinking if they needed funds that remortgaging or borrowing from the 401 plan was the way to go. How costly that must have been?
A lot more expensive than stashing funds in an emergency fund in a accessible MMF. Refinancing was very popular, and heavily marketed here in ego land. Especially if you took out your equity.
401(k) plans marketed borrowing as an option, it's your money, you're lending it to yourself. Not true, but who reads the fine print.
It's wrong that companies and institutions are permitted to mislead clients and employees in financial matters, and then cavalierly remind those same clients and employees that they should have known better, when things go south.

Afternoon All,

It's been steady raining all day, but it's finally supposed to clear up early tomorrow morning. Drove Dad to his VA appointment. It took driving in the rain for a little more than an hour for a 6-minute walk test with a PulseOx on. SMH. He doesn't need home O2 yet, but he is on the line. If he goes down one more % he'll get it. After getting home MOH and I went to Wally World to pick up an order and then to the local feed store for 5# bag of dried meal worms for our furry 4-legged pets. Of course, the car wouldn't start after that. :mad: Called son and he jumped the car twice on the trip to get a new battery. Went to Advance Auto Parts where an employee changed it for me in the rain. I gave him $20 for going above and beyond.

Tomorrow Dad and I are heading up to my buddy Jon's then I have a haircut appointment. Saturday is HOA entrance decorating then I have an appointment at 3 pm for new tires on our other car. Whole other story on that.:(

Patrick- Best wishes for your boss's daughter. It's a scary time for a parent.

Bill- Another cool photo.

Willie- Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Thats great you educated your kids on the importance of money, so many parents don't. It's that taboo subject that's not talked about.

Why isn't this a mandatory class in High School? I worked with so many people over the years that didn't even put 3% in to get the match.

I was lucky, my parents preached this to us kids. My Father gave me great advice when I graduated from Tech school. He said start putting money into your 401K instantly, and every raise bump it up by half the raise. You will never miss that money because you never had it in the first place. Boy has that advice paid dividends. He also said compound interest is a beautiful thing.
Compound interest is a beautiful thing!

Dad said real estate. Duplexes were my dad’s idea of a good retirement income. He never did but he was ahead of his time when it came to rentals. I couldn’t beg our kids enough to take over our rentals and ended up selling them off. Their lose, my heartache

Some of my custom kitchen cabinets came today. Being installed tomorrow. 3 ich spacers in the corners have to added so all the doors and draws have space to be opened and closed. They all close automatically with just a slight push. At the same time I added some new selves in the train room getting ready for the new drop ceiling to be installed. I did not level anything yet so if it looks unlevel that gets done sometime in the next few days.
Swal

K_101.JPG
K_102.JPG
K_103.jpg
Trainroom_02.jpg

Good late afternoon. My day trip exceeded expectations and even better I didn’t have to drive. I mentioned my day trip to the hobby shops on my weathering group chat and 2 of my weathering group buddies who live sort of close by asked if I wanted company.

While I had everything mapped out, it changed when they got involved. But overall it was for the better and we had a good time. Instead of me leaving for GreenBay at 7:30 we left my house at 6 or 90 minutes earlier than my plan. Breakfast in GB was prior to the Enginehouse Services visit. Made a couple hobby shops in Milwaukee happy to see us at the check out registers. I was able to get a good deal on Walthers code 83 flex.

Now that the blood flow has slowed I’m ready for a nap! Too early but I do believe I’ll be in bed before midnight!

Compound interest is a beautiful thing!

Dad said real estate. Duplexes were my dad’s idea of a good retirement income. He never did but he was ahead of his time when it came to rentals. I couldn’t beg our kids enough to take over our rentals and ended up selling them off. Their lose, my heartache
I wanted to purchase a couple of rental s in our area in 2007-2008 when the res estate bubble burst. We could have picked a couple of foreclosure properties up cheap, but my wife wasn’t keen on the idea. I always thought it would be another good retirement vehicle for us to have in our back pocket.

Curious, if you don’t mind me asking. Why did you sell your rentals? Were they a hassle? That’s what my wife claimed they would be.

I couldn’t beg our kids enough to take over our rentals and ended up selling them off. Their lose, my heartache
I could not get my son even interested in flying -- instead he is 58 YO and does not have anything in savings and ownes nothing except a 30 YO TRUCK AND TRAILER and a horse. He lives in the trailer with his horse., worked for a while at many jobs (good paying), but is a restless soul!

Speaking of taxes. I underestimated my 2022 taxes when I filed an extension in April. I forgot the amount, under $200. I paid the difference in October. This week I received the bill for the fees and interest, balance due $7.58! I was so relieved when I opened the mail. I hate getting mail from the IRS. If you know me, I seldom ever use the word hate.

Mark that paid, thank you IRS! Please don't contact me anymore.
Yeah, we might end up filing an extension on our state taxes. Although the Fed does not consider the student loan forgiveness(loans which I had paid on for over 25 years) taxable income, the state of Wisconsin does not agree. We’re hoping that our federal refund will cover the amount we will owe the state, thus the proverbial robbing Peter to pay Paul.

LOUIS, WILLIE - I checked the sauerkraut in the fridge that MOH purchased for Kiddos hot dog night. It is Claussen- I believe. I find it very good and eat it from the jar. Just please give me some Dijon type Mustard with it!
I think it is the best I have had concerning "factory" made!

opps, forgot the pic?
1700185663855.png

Last edited:
Good evening. Today was a delight. High of 63°, on the front porch, after a low of 39°.

Last Saturday, I was in the back yard, and heard the unmistakable drone of a piston engine aircraft. Looked up, and observed what looked to me like a C-47, (or DC-3), flying from the Northwest to the Southeast. Today, I was out with the recycles, and again heard that remarkable sound, this time, what I believe to be the same aircraft flying Southeast to Northwest, at about 12,000 Ft. (Higher than what a C-17 was flying earlier this afternoon, but significantly lower than two commercial jets that were way up there at 30k+. Good to see the old bird slowly cruising along.

Much of my pre-order, (back order), merchandise is starting to ship. Today, I received notice that the Walthers PRR Brick Standard Station, (Conshohocken, PA and Frankford Jct., PA), was in. Still have two GE diesels, and two Northeastern Caboose(s)...due soon.

BM&R 10_21_2023 Jim Thorpe - Rich Hafer photo.jpg

Rich Hafer captured this view of the Reading Northern excursion at Mauch Chunk, PA on October 21, 2023. Wife knew the location right away, she said the retaining wall and the mountain were give aways. The town has called itself Jim Thorpe, since 1950 or so, but the locals still refer to it as "Chunk". The Blue Mountain & Reading has been in business for 40 years now...A successful Regional, cobbled from parts of the Reading, CNJ and LV, in the Anthracite region of Pennsylvania.

I wanted to purchase a couple of rental s in our area in 2007-2008 when the res estate bubble burst. We could have picked a couple of foreclosure properties up cheap, but my wife wasn’t keen on the idea. I always thought it would be another good retirement vehicle for us to have in our back pocket.

Curious, if you don’t mind me asking. Why did you sell your rentals? Were they a hassle? That’s what my wife claimed they would be.

Sent a message

I could not get my son even interested in flying -- instead he is 58 YO and does not have anything in savings and ownes nothing except a 30 YO TRUCK AND TRAILER and a horse. He lives in the trailer with his horse., worked for a while at many jobs (good paying), but is a restless soul!
We couldn‘t get the daughter or son interested in buying us out of the side gig that turned their lives around.

We had the daughter working to learn the business after she sold her 5 day care locations. She lasted 9 months as it was “too boring”. The son tried to come back to Wisconsin and learn the business but hated Wisconsin. When we put the Austin complex up for sale he then asked if he could have it. That was 2018 and he just finished a 2 year renovation on it.

He is quite a talented musician and music producer. Blew out ligaments in his right hand ending his stage and session career. Video game developer as he has 3 titles with a partner still out there. His boyhood best friend and development partner now has his own video company. The son does occasional software reviews on new games for him. He has a couple service companies in Austin and does charter services with 2 jets. Got his pilot license at 22 and jet qualifications at 30. He is a constant, must keep busy guy who is finally learning to delegate and relax!

The daughter like her mom is a die hard flaming always on the go liberal. She has a non-profit she started in 2020 and finally learned that she needs to fund raise instead of using her own money. Just last month she finally hired 2 full time fund raisers.

Terry and I are very proud of both our kids. They have come a long way but followed different paths then what we had hoped for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back