Running Bear's November 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Sauerkraut. I've bought plain, fancy (different stuff in it), generic, and brand name. Most are good. The only ones I don't care for are the ones that have gotten quite mushy. I like it with sausage (brats, Italian, polish, whatever) and some mustard. Kraut with mustard is great.

Anotehr thing I like is the red cabbage. My grandmother used to make it fresh (a Norwegian variant) and I've had it fresh in Germany but the bottled red cabbage is good. Chop some onions and brown them and then dump in the red cabbage from the bottle.

I'll eat any kind straight out of the can. I buy a few cans whenever I see them on sale. Private label or name brands, it's all good for me. I'll eat it with a fork right out of the can. I also take it straight from the can to eat with hotdogs. My Mom liked it roasted in the oven with a pork roast, I do too! It's great
Me too !

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 29
Morning all,

43° and clear this morning with a high of 59° later. Need to get some of the last outdoor things done over the weekend, including a hopefully final mowing of the yard. Expecting lows in the mid-20's later this next week and highs later in the mid-40's. In other words finally near normal temps. Still have the bedroom to get some big furniture out of so it can be painted.

May try to get back downstairs to the trains as well. It is about that time of year.

My grandmother always made sauerkraut as did her mother. I actually have the 25 gallon crock they made it in. I also have the 15 gallon crock that my great grandfather used in his grocery store to make kielbasa, back when the neighborhood ethnic markets were a thing.

You're not neglecting anything. For me, I needed to check the salt water level every day due to evaporation. Maybe overkill, but I also had to remove scum about once a week.
I forgot about the scum, this current batch I'm making hasn't had any, yet. The plate keeps the cabbage below the saltwater level, which helps to keep down the formation of scum. There is always at least a little scum. The scum is ugly, but harmless.

It's not overkill to check the room temperatures daily. As I'm sure you know, If the temperatures get too high, you could ruin the taste and texture of the sauerkraut. I'm fortunate to have a basement. I doubt I could make sauerkraut without it. If I don't turn on the heat, the temperature in my basement remains steady at 62-68 this time of year, perfect for fermentation. That is until Thanksgiving Day when I roast the turkey in the oven in the basement.

I could not get my son even interested in flying -- instead he is 58 YO and does not have anything in savings and ownes nothing except a 30 YO TRUCK AND TRAILER and a horse. He lives in the trailer with his horse., worked for a while at many jobs (good paying), but is a restless soul!
Is he a happy man? If so, be happy for him.

"Many who are first in life will be last in God's Kingdom and vice versa"

Good afternoon all. A large coffee and a apple muffin please, Flo.
A dry, sunny day!

Kids and grandkids.

They have their own path in life, no matter what we say etc..

Our son has given up (very) well paid jobs on eight hours a day. He prefers to work where he gets job satisfaction, poorly paid and works long hours. Not only that he is living month to month. Hasn't had a proper holiday in years.

Our daughter is different. She works where she can get most money. She is home most evening by six o'clock. She and SiL take their children to soccer, basketball etc.. They go on long holidays. Last year was three weeks around Europe. Year before was across the U.S.A..

We can only set our children on the path of life. Which route and diversions they take we have no control.

Perhaps our parents and grandparents had similar thoughts.

Last edited:
LOUIS, WILLIE - I checked the sauerkraut in the fridge that MOH purchased for Kiddos hot dog night. It is Claussen- I believe. I find it very good and eat it from the jar. Just please give me some Dijon type Mustard with it!
I think it is the best I have had concerning "factory" made!

opps, forgot the pic?
View attachment 176944
I've never had Claussen sauerkraut, I bet that is good! Claussen's dill pickles are my favorite pickles.

"Dijon type Mustard" Youve been in California to long! ;) Shall I get you some Grey Poupon? 🤪

Make mine yellow mustard, any brand will do!

The only ones I don't care for are the ones that have gotten quite mushy.
I avoid "mushy" (perfect word in this case) sauerkraut. Those are likely not naturally fermented. Or could have been pasteurized slowly, cooking the cabbage. If the cabbage is fermented properly, it will retain a little bit of crisp texture even after slow cooking.
Kraut with mustard is great.
Yes sir! They are perfect together. Yellow mustard that is. 🙂
Another thing I like is the red cabbage. My grandmother used to make it fresh (a Norwegian variant) and I've had it fresh in Germany but the bottled red cabbage is good. Chop some onions and brown them and then dump in the red cabbage from the bottle.
My Hungarian wife buys the red cabbage in the jar from Aldi. She said it is the best! I have yet to try it. I can be childish about trying new things. It took me fifty years to try Brussel sprouts, I love them. I do like fresh red cabbage! I like savoy cabbage too. I love cabbage, I even eat it raw.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 57°, just going up to 62° for the high today. These clouds yesterday and today really changed the forecast, earlier in the week they were forecasting highs in the mid-70's until Monday.

Well, the new roof is almost completed. What I was not told until dusk yesterday is that the roofing supplier was out of the ridge shingles in our color!:mad: Not happy. The roofer said that he would pick them up today and finish it. It took six (actually five since the foreman spent most of his time in his truck talking/texting on the phone), 9.5 hours to do it all including cleanup. The owner who was over on a different job with another crew, had to bring out 3 additional sheets of decking so that they could replace 8 all together. All were along the edge and I knew about 5 before they started. Overall I am satisfied except for the lack of communication on the ridge shingles.

Had a wildlife adventure on the way home from the restaurant last night. It started with me having to slow the car to let 2 coyotes safely cross,, there may have been more ahead of them; then a half mile later I had to stop completely to allow at least two deer to cross. These were two juveniles, so mama was probably leading them. I'm still paranoid after hitting that large buck last year. Both incidents last night were in the last half mile before the house. Afterward, rather late, my daughter showed up with the two granddogs for their country vacation. I was expecting her earlier and had to stay up past my bedtime to help bring the paraphernalia in.

Today is the delayed weekly grocery trek, after I peruse the digital coupons available today. Damn, there's 804 of them! I am leaving my wife home to pack the car (for her vacation with the kids), and oversee the roofer if he shows up while I am gone. They'll (wife, kids and grandkids) be at South Padre Island and hope to see the SpaceX launch from Boca Chica TX. The launch site is less than 2 miles as the crow flies from the condo where they are staying. They'll only get to see it if the launch is delayed from Saturday til Sunday though. How often do these things happen on time?

Not much to report from out in the train shed yesterday. I only ran trains while I was on standby for the roofing crew. Turns out they didn't need me until they started the cleanup.
I have a few more of Garry's pictures from my inspiration folder.
4067-e179db6d343f49c9f52fad938da3c9f9.jpg

4050-8ae99f52f0f57f99de7a4e4f1689fb6b.jpg

4162-a583d58c8bac0b85b3a1f93100117b80.jpg

4193-08e696a721673a486a89c3af4ca0db99.jpg

4096-1d4b9126112cab170db5aaa312be241d.jpg

Money, kids, etc. - We always had an emergency fund but we are fortunate to have never needed it. Came close though.
All of our married life with kids at home, we openly discussed many aspects of our financial situations at the dinner table with them all present. It successfully taught them budgeting, financial planning and many other monetary things. My oldest daughter once remarked that she never realized that I knew how much money I spent on beer and budgeted it faithfully.
I always followed the practice of putting half (many times more) of all raises into my 401k plan. It was money that I wasn't spending anyway. I never borrowed against it. I heard many horror stories from folks at work who did and later regretted it immensely. Most of them were never able to repay it and the tax/penalty stunned them. It was all ranges of employees from hourly factory workers, supervisors and management/office workers. Whenever anyone asked my advice, I recommended taking out a bank loan and using the 401k as collateral if their bank would allow it.
Troy - Pre-made curve templates are great time savers. I made six of them from 24" to 34" (2" increments) out of pattern cardboard, but ended up using only the 30", 32" and 34" ones for HO.
Swal - Cabinets and shelves are looking good.

Today is Gordon Lightfoot's 85th birthday. I liked a lot of his music, but I wish that he never recorded the Edmund Fitzgerald. It was way overplayed in my area.

Everyone have a fantastic Friday.

We discussed money with our kids as well. They seem to always have what they need. While his mom worries, the boy is sticking the max in his 401K.

Funny we had this discussion again last night. While the emergency fund is gone, we also have a rather nice amount in s CD that's about to come due. One thought was to pay off the house early, but it is and will earn more that we are paying in interest on the house.

A lot more expensive than stashing funds in an emergency fund in a accessible MMF. Refinancing was very popular, and heavily marketed here in ego land. Especially if you took out your equity.
401(k) plans marketed borrowing as an option, it's your money, you're lending it to yourself. Not true, but who reads the fine print.
It's wrong that companies and institutions are permitted to mislead clients and employees in financial matters, and then cavalierly remind those same clients and employees that they should have known better, when things go south.
I decided to have 401k plan with my first truck driving company since the were offering it. After a while in early 2000s there was some kind of "crash". Went to check on it only to find out the amount was half of that from previous month. Decided to withdraw everything and close 401k permanently. Money became useful on a down payment for a car. Never looked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back