Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 52°, Upper 70's again today for the high, clouds off and on. Moderate weather for the next ten days with highs reaching the lower 90's by the weekend. Thunderstorms are forecast on a couple of days, but that's always iffy.

I spent a lot of yesterday doing laundry after church and brunch, then my wife actually assisted me with some yardwork. That's a sign that her knees really have progressed, or maybe she was just feeling extra energetic. The doctor insists that they have been ready for over a year.
Not much, but I did pick my first Radish from the garden yesterday, wife ate it before I got a picture. It's rather late, but remember that my granddog dug up the first partial row that I planted. I don't plant many because they don't preserve and you can only eat so many! They also don't grow well in our climate over 80°.

Yesterday was "sign" day out in the train shed. I applied sign decals to a piece of scrap 0.010 styrene to place around the refinery.
View attachment 167587
View attachment 167588
View attachment 167589
View attachment 167590
View attachment 167591
View attachment 167592

Tom O - I agree that there has been an evolving change in this forum since mid-March. Nothing wrong, but quite a bit busier for sure. I have seen participation go up and down many times over the 12 years that I have been here. Attitude and focus changes all of the time. I think that we've got a reasonably good harmony going right now.
You chided Troy about shoes in the train room, my wife makes fun of me because my shoes only come off for pool, showers and bed at night but not naps!
Guy - May you and your wife and all of the townspeople be safe from the fires. How the heck did the lumber catch fire to begin with??? I cannot find any additional information on the net, other than the Whitecourt Star.

Everybody have a great day.
Willie

unless your a guest the shoes are off at the entrance doors. I don’t think I have worn any shoes not near that walking exercise machine that goes nowhere since I was a kid. I never wore slippers until 2015 as I was recovering from my stroke.

our kids never wore shoes in our houses. now that they have their own places the daughter and family still don’t wear shoes, the son does.

Tom I know you do the golf skins thing as do I. The photo below is the page 1 (there's more pages) printout of the computer program I wrote to figure out all the bets we have on our Myrtle Beach golf trip every year. It figures out the Low net, Skins with handicap, Putts, Greens, Random Partners with their handicaps and changes their handicap to a lower or higher number depending on if they won or lost money for the day. I type in everyone's scores and a few seconds later it's all figured out. The program has a course database attached so it already knows where everyone gets their strokes. The photo below is the first time we used the program in 2019. I sent the results of the 2019 round 1 to everyone's phone with comments so they would understand how it all works. The total payouts for the 4 rounds were made the last day of the trip. My handicap is 0 with my classmates everyone plays off me for this Tourney.
Swal

View attachment 167629
Thank you. Interesting info. I will try to remember to take a screen shot of our electronic system. Yours is immediately easier to understand

Good Morning All. Clear and 51°, heading up into the low 80's later on. Didn't get as warm as predicted yesterday, but I'll take 73° anytime. I won't even get into the 10 day forecast that the dolts from NWS have come up with today, except to say that it is radically different than the one they presented yesterday.

Looks like a quiet day at home today, it is pleasant to look at our schedule and see that we have no medical appointments for the next two weeks! This is one of the few times of the year when we have no flying insects here. Sitting on the lawn chairs outside is rather pleasant.:) Wife will be headed out for a few days next week with our #1 daughter for a winery tour in Fredericksburg TX, so I'll be home alone.

A really lazy day for me yesterday, even out in the train shed. I did run trains and among the runs, I switched out 16 tankers at the Ethanol refinery. Stopped briefly to repair a handrail on a Dash9 that had somehow broken. Later when moving a container train, I had an unexplained derailment and had to remove and repair a handrail on a well car. Still trying to figure out the derail as it happened on a straight run with a car that has been over this section many, many times. I do not have a container yard, so all of my container trains are simply "run thru's" that go from one end of the layout to the other and eventually back again. One of the runs yesterday was just to have the refinery run guys pause briefly while it passed.
I guess that I'll just leave with a few random pictures of track around the layout.
IMG_7783.JPG

IMG_7784.JPG
IMG_7785.JPG

IMG_7786.JPG

That's all I have today. Everyone have a splendid day.

Good still dark morning to all at 5:15am Vegas time. Thing is you can’t see the dark through all the lights.

Tried to walk the stairwells this morning. Twice I got stopped and questioned by security. They strongly suggested I use the machines in the exercise facility. I ended walking near the villas between the hotel and golf course. I was given a red, white and yellow striped strap to wear so security knows I am approved!!! Folks staying in those villas, live in a much different world than I do. Wow! Even my wife doesn’t gamble enough to get comped to stay there.

Yesterday it was so windy with gusts near 50mph the ball was moving on the greens, I have enough putting issues with the ball when it’s sitting still on the green. Today will be winds in the low teens and temperature high of 81, yesterday the golf cart showed 94f degrees. We will play today and Thursday on the Wynn Resort course behind the hotel. There are going to be lots of natural birdies here. Wednesday and Friday we play at Shadow Creek and from what I understand about that is it’s extremely difficult.

I maybe in the Nevada desert but I talked to the daughter before leaving. I put some weathered items up on Facebook to sell that have not after many attempts sold in the past 15 months. She will pack and ship them today. This after I increased pricing compared to what they were in 1/2022. I laid the items out on the bench with my shipping supplies in a moveable rack. you never know when stuff will sell.

enjoy the day

Thank you. Interesting info. I will try to remember to take a screen shot of our electronic system. Yours is immediately easier to understand
Tom Now I'm not sure if that's the real scores for everyone on that day or if it was just an example I sent out to everyone. I say this because the handicaps and the net scores don't match up correctly. I found that .jpg file on my computer. The real scores and payouts from all the years of the Myrtle Beach trips are on my laptop. The actual code for the program is 25 pages long written in Turbo Pascal. The handicaps are hazed out so I'm not sure why even though I wrote the program. I have to go on my laptop and take a look. I know it all works though.
Swal

Seems I lost an old friend this week. When I worked at the golf course from 7th grade up to graduating college Lance TenBroeck became 1st a golf buddy and later a friend until our paths took different turns. He wasn’t the typical snotty nosed Country Club kid who looked down in distain at club employee, but a great fun kid who treated us as equals.

He was 3 years younger than me but we played against each other in lots of the CountryClub youth golf tournaments through those early years and then High School. He actually is one who taught me the way golfers bet on the golf course and he was a talker on the course. He could and did needle anyone he was playing. A kid from a very rich family he made his way in college to the PGA tour and while not a real success made a decent living. His biggest achievements on Tour is when he became a full time caddie to jaesper Parnivik and later a swing coach to many tour players.

Here’s to you Last Call Lance

our kids never wore shoes in our houses. now that they have their own places the daughter and family still don’t wear shoes, the son does.

The wife being from Japan, we have the "no shoes in house" though I sometimes break it in our current rental house due to how the house is set up and the general congestedness of the house as we are getting ready to move later this year.

The new house will have a strict "no shoes" policy except "house shoes" that never leave the house.

I grew up in a "No Shoes in the House" family. Now though, well - I have become a bit lax on that :)
We dont wear shoes in the house much. Unless its carrying in groceries, or something like that.

We come in the door and transfer straight to slippers. My daughter is the weird one! She don't wear slippers or socks, even in the winter.

I will always take my shoes off when entering someone else's house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back