Running Bear's May 2023 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that earlier today as well. I liked his music but I got burned out by local FM stations overplaying "Edmund Fitzgerald" too much. "Sundown" however, was top-notch.

"Edmund Fitzgerald" gets played on the local "Classic Rock" station. I remember Gordon Lightfoot from when I was a kid but am not very well versed in his stuff. But I found this song interesting as an old adult and went and researched the actual "Edmund Fitzgerald" story in order to learn the real life inspiration for the song. It was an interesting event and one I would not have heard of without the local station playing it.

I'm not disagreeing with Willie -- it probably is overplayed and others of his underplayed -- but hearing it a few times got me thinking about it and learning something new about history. I knew they had shipping on the Great Lakes but not to the extent it exists/ed. So a plug for listening and then being spurred to find out about the songs and their inspiration.

I wear shoes I’m house going out. I do not wear wellies into the house, do not wear shoes in the decent lounge, do not make people take off footwear when I used to keep my shoes in the front hall lined up on the stairs a delivery person thought I was Muslim. I have a bad habit of walking around in socks and in the main kitchen my feet can get cold which sets off my sciatica stupid self inflicted, wear slippers no issues.

Obviously I'm the heathen, as I don't take my shoes off till I go to bed, TBH, I don't have a choice, if I remove my shoes it's easy for me to slip and fall as slippers have no real grip, and obviously I can't feel it through my prosthetic, till I go arse over apex.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 67F and currently 83F. After the walk I put down weed killer around the house and fence line. After cleaning up and breakfast I did some chores then went to ACE to get caulk for a portion of the master shower that needed redone. Tomorrow SIL is coming over to help me replace screen panels around the pool. Fun times. :rolleyes:

Terry- Great scenes. You're probably right about the RL, but you are the only one that can decided that.

Louis- Cool photo.

TomO- Sorry for your friends' loss. We didn't wear shoes in the house in HI as you probably know is the custom there. Now it's a mixed bag.

Willie- Nice layout scenes.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Last edited:
"Edmund Fitzgerald" gets played on the local "Classic Rock" station. I remember Gordon Lightfoot from when I was a kid but am not very well versed in his stuff. But I found this song interesting as an old adult and went and researched the actual "Edmund Fitzgerald" story in order to learn the real life inspiration for the song. It was an interesting event and one... I knew they had shipping on the Great Lakes but not to the extent it exists/ed. So a plug for listening and then being spurred to find out about the songs and their inspiration.
The main takeaway that I got from the Edmund Fitzgerald history was how deep Lake Superior was. I had never expected over 500' where the ship sank. I had since read that it's over 1300' in parts! Pretty damn deep!

Obviously I'm the heathen, as I don't take my shoes off till I go to bed, TBH, I don't have a choice, if I remove my shoes it's easy for me to slip and fall as slippers have no real grip, and obviously I can't feel it through my prosthetic, till I go arse over apex.
I dont take my shoes off either. If someone insists on me removing my shoes I will leave and not return.
Mike CGW

In which case you'd be talking to me on the porch... On the porch we allow shoes :p

We have three zones in the house -- public, semi-public, and private. There may be cases where shoes would be allowed in the public area only but only on a case by case basis and would most likely want the people to remove shoes. We will probably offer those slip-over booty things as well as house shoes (disinfected) for those who want them or allow socks etc.

The public area is only the front hall, the adjoining "visitor" parlor (small room for people you don't want in your house LOL) and a small toilet room for these guests.

The real question about shoes/no shoes...

Why not allow shoes in the house?

In my case, plantar fasciitis makes it painful for me to walk without arch support.

when I know ahead of time, I'll bring indoor sandals, or Crocs that don't cause me issues.

But, other than "Being a cultural issue" I've never understood why

Hello everybody, been awhile for me! I hope you all are doing well, and like all of us, I have taken a much needed break from the hobby and now I am back feeling much better about my roster. While on that topic, I am planning a new layout based on SW Wisconsin, NW Iowa, SE Minnesota, and I have been thinking about what trains I would like to run. After realizing my roster is faaarrrrr too mismatched to make any sense realistically, I was faced with selling many beloved locomotives. After starting to sell a few locomotives, I needed a break. During that break, I was trying to come up with reasonable ways to keep the majority of my collection, and I came up with one that I am happy with. I landed on running a tourist railroad, with modern thru freights mixed into operations, like most model railroaders, I created a fictional railroad, two in-fact. The first one, Fox Point RR, is mainly a freight railroad that runs small locals from town to town. The second, Madison Southwestern (a subsidiary of FPR), is the tourist line that runs many historic steam and diesel locomotives, including short passenger trains and demonstration freight trains.
1683074193795.png
1683074223536.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back