Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 58°, with more light rain on the way. There's about a half inch in the rain gauge right now and the approaching rain looks to be very light and scattered. I just stepped out on the porch and it has started sprinkling. The wind has finally abated a little, but shortly after noon, we're going to get smacked with another cold front. Most likely I'll have to start a fire tonight; that is if some kindling dries out!
Looking off my back porch yesterday afternoon reminds me of how beautiful my countryside is. The winter wheat field next door sure makes for a great view. Just wait for the trees along the horizon to leaf out.
IMG_0610.JPG

Good visit yesterday with the ophthalmologist. He gave me the good news that even though I have a couple of cataracts in my right eye, they are very minor and can be ignored for now. They are not affecting my vision. He did give me a new eyeglass prescription that is a bit different than the ones that I have had for the last two years.
Today it's back to the primary care doctor to discuss the results of the CT scan done last week. While I feel better and think that I am mostly over the pneumonia, I still have some shortness of breath and a lack of endurance. After that, we'll go back to the feed/seed store for more tomato plants and pepper plants. They should have more varieties of tomatoes this week. They had no peppers last week.

Thanks to all of you who reacted to or commented on yesterdays factory pictures; Joe, Patrick, Steve J, Chad, Sherrel, Guy, Tom O, Dave B, George, Smudge, James, Mikey, Hughie, Louis, Curt, Rick, IB Ken, Jaz, OB Ken.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I decided to go ahead and assemble one of the duplicate structure kits that I discovered Monday. It's a Walther's American Bungalow kit.
IMG_0611.JPG

Since I liked the color on the box top, that's what I went for.
IMG_0613.JPG

I am thinking that I will add lighting to this structure, so I painted the inner walls black to avoid "light bleed".
IMG_0612.JPG

Worked a bit on assembling windows before my eyes started to cross - They were still a bit dilated from the eye doctor in the morning.
More to come.

Louis -
I have unintentionally become a collector of Lionel and other trains.
You don't say!;) I have known you to be a sucker for anything with Lionel printed on it! Not in a bad way mind you.
Jaz - Thanks. You know that your scenes also show a lot of action.
Dave B - That vinyl extrusion factory isn't necessarily in the corner, I just have overlooked it as a featured photo project.
Regarding Vietnam - I was of draft age in 1970 but had a student deferment at the time. They then instituted the numbered lottery and I drew a #254 and dropped the deferment. I distinctly remember being at a peaceful demonstration when a police officer began questioning me about the American flag on the back of my blue jean jacket, which was upside right, as I was still proud to be an American. He didn't think that it was lawful until I pointed out the American flag on his uniform shoulder.
Most taco trucks here do not have a storefront. We had one that came by work twice a day at break time, and before work with mostly coffee, and he probably had 300 customers each time. HR staggered the break time at our remote location down the block so he could head over there next. The driver needed two other employees in the truck to keep up. Great food, both Mexican and some American sandwiches. They had other like customers both before and after our stops.
Curt - Regardless of the manufacturer, I usually have to do some trimming, mostly filing, on window openings of laser-cut wood kits. To me, one of the hardest part of most kits, wood or plastic, is the clear acetate that needs to be cut for windows. I always end up with one or two that I have to redo because the adhesive smears.
Hughie - Perhaps painting the doors Pullman Green would break up the blandness.
Ken (D&J) - That sucks that income is tied into property taxes. Since we have no state income tax in Texas, the government doesn't have access to that information and it's not required to apply. Heck! All the tax assessor wanted to see was my wife's driver license. She's older than me but it doesn't matter.
Patrick - I had a few late career job offers, but chose to stick with what I had. None were lucrative enough to justify the extra commuting distance to my already 47 miles each way. That and our insurance was hard to beat.

Everybody have a great day. Stay safe.

Good Morning!
The melt is on! Going to reach 50F today; shorts and T-shirt weather. Plus, get busy on the exposing dog poops.

I received a very healthy income tax return yesterday, so decided to pull the pin and ordered 3x new tank cars. These cost way more than I would pay if I hadn't got a good sized check deposited in the account. These are Walthers promotional photos.
One of these from the Mainline series:
Walthers Mainline 10KGal.jpg

Plus, I ordered two different road numbers of these, from the Proto series:
Walthers Proto 8KGal.jpg

The 3x tankcars cost just under $200.00 shipped for free. That's about as much as I'll ever pay, I should think. Who knows, though, since the bug has bitten.

I'm still working for the wife. Getting my son to do most of the work with me as lead-hand and the wife as general foreman. - The son is happy, though. he gets a few new pairs of pants and cash out of the deal.

Thanks for the likes on these simple posts.
Think I'll just sit back and enjoy my coffee until the son gets here.
Have a good one!

Morning gang!

Sorry I have not been posting much at all lately. I have been lurking now an then and see everyone has been busy, such is life. I have been busy with work and the seasonal changes here in upstate NY. The weather is definitely crazy at best. I have burned wood the last 2 nights. Almost done with all the wood for this season. If I have any left it will go in the burn pile for summer pit fires. No progress to report on the layout but a few minor purchases. I will be taking some time off next month and will do a few MRR things then it will be dormant for a while. I will keep my radar on for certain purchases. I am still trying to find a Micro Engineering ladder switch #5e for my yard. Also looking for my last UP heritage unit Athearn Genesis 1st release with sound in DRGW #1989. I have a few other items on the hit lists to get. I am looking at another fantasy unit ES44 by Intermountain in a Western Pacific with sound. I am debating it right now.

Fishing season is upon me and for me it is coming this Friday on April 1st. I will be hitting the the streams for trout this weekend.

Next weekend (2nd week of April) I will be getting my boat out to prepare for trip for some lake trout and salmon. I will also will go after some perch and crappie as they are wonderful to have for meals. Then May 1st will be turkey season and walleye season. I will bag 2 turkeys for the legal limit as always. Walleye are superb table fair. 5 a day limit so that's good! I will post some pics when I bag'em! I have a huge trip coming this early summer/late spring to Lake of the Woods in Canada. It will be an awesome fishing trip. I cannot wait! Then I will zip down to NC to the Davidson River for some big brown trout with my buddy. When I go to NC I will investigate on my old pal Jerome. I miss that guy.

I recently met up with a sweet lady and well we hit it off for the time being and we shall see where that goes. She is a true ADK country mountain gal and loves to fish. In fact she will be going trout fishing with me this weekend. We will see how that goes! I do not have much expectations in relationships etc. I just go with the flow and as long as it doesn't disrupt my grumpy butt ways as I am an o'l bachelor who is set in my ways lol. I have dated a few in the past and sent them away on many occasions when the red flags flew up lol. Anyhow this one seems to be a good catch but time will tell.

Ya'll have a good one! I hope everyone with all the current events and personal events or hardships going on for each of you have better days coming. Keep your chin up. If you are down there is no where to go but up so there's that! Best wishes to all of you with your family and friends. I will be around but more in the "lurk mode" as my love for the outdoors is calling me. I will be back time after time. All is well on my home front!

I recently met up with a sweet lady and well we hit it off for the time being and we shall see where that goes. She is a true ADK country mountain gal and loves to fish. In fact she will be going trout fishing with me this weekend. We will see how that goes!
James fifty years ago I had a girl like that. Went fishing every where with her. I hope it works out for you.
George

Last edited:
Good afternoon,

We had some rain/snow mix overnight into the mornings commute, temp at 29° now 32 so not really melting, maybe an inch of new coating.

Flo - what about a steaming hot cup of coffee and a bowl of Chili.

McLeod - I had some excess tank cars, I should have chimed in could have saved you some money. Been sooo busy doing layout landscaping all my train cars are still in totes, out of site, out of mind.

James - met my girl one day unexpectedly now 27 years later still married to her

Willie - that green grass is inviting.

Not a lot to add today, middle of the week and all, all my excitement is on the weekend, however a shot from the old layout:

I noticed one of the hand rails is bent, well that locomotive was sold off a few years back so not a worry

amill 001.JPG

I previously made my logs from the Goldenrod weed, which is shown in the photo. I went to using spruce twigs because the grain is better, but I had lots of these cut to 16 footers so used them here and there.

This was the back of the layout so didn't get very creative with the rocks and ground cover around the forklift and log pile. Could have used a few weeds and pieces of bark, etc.

more later, Dave LASM

Good Morning/Afternoon Everyone out there in cyber space and Model Railroading. Thunderstorms over-night and some nice rainfall that'hs needed since we're in a drought stage. More rain on the way. Snow tomorrow!

Not a lot out there to report today.

I ordered replacement bevel gears for my 80 Ton Shay in case I need them and the supply of spares runs out. I'm not too crasy about working on the Shay and removing the bevel gears that are deflective.

I lost a handrail bracket on the front of my Shay and ordered a replacement many years ago. The shipping was more than the part. When it arrived I left it in its mailing package and placed it in a steel file cabinet for safe keeping. I when to check on it, mice and crewed the package open and the part gone. No more in stock at Bachmann and I would have to purchase the entire boiler assembly. No way!

Years later I found the part in its plastic case laying on the floor. It escaped the mouse.

I used Red Dogwood for HO scale logs and the red color of the stems turns dark as it aged. In the future going to use either White Pine or Spruce twigs collected at the cabin.

IMG_0367.JPG
Redwood Twigs holding my E Z Line spool while I string the lines.-Greg

I'll be busy cutting the twigs since I plan on replacing the plastic logs on some of my pulpwood cars.

One of my projects to add some more trees and shrubs to rock formations in the background so they look like less of a collection of rock forms.

That's about all for now...................

Greg

######################

IMG_0369.JPG
A short distance to the right of the photo posted above. The terminal building will be painted a different color and the windows boarded up. I'll add some galvanized roofing to the roof.-Greg

Willie, there is so much truth in that statement, I have been a sucker for almost anything Lionel!

James, I envy you! Not for the fishing itself, but for getting to eat the trout you will catch!

Willie, I know you are not much for fresh water fish, but i bet you would enjoy trout.

to bring up some slightly older topics:

Yoghurt -- specifically low carb. The "Two Good" that Willie mentioned is really good. Not too sweet and only 2 net carbs. There is another one I found, I think from General Mills, called :Ratio KETO. It is really really good, thick, but costs about 10 cents more per than the "Two Good"

View attachment 143800

I also eat the Oikos triple zero. That is no fat, which sucks (sucks equus sphera), but I add a spoon or two of C8 MCT oil to it and it becomes really good and creamy. Its carbs are a bit higher. Like 5 or 6 IIRC. But it costs less than the others so I eat a mix of them. One a day for breakfast usually.

The :ratio stuff is hard to find around here. There is another variety of :ratio which is their high protein version. It has more carbs but still not a lot, but a lot more protein. I tried it once but it was not so good. But this Keto one is very good. Some Walmarts have it but all the ones close to me don't so when I am across the valley and at one of the few Walmarts that have it I pick some up. Our local Krogers (called "Smiths") has only ever had the protein version, and other stores I've checked have not had anything, or only the Protein version

Soda/Pop/Soda Pop/Tonic/"Cokes" :

As a kid my folks (thankfully) rarely bought soda. We would get it at a birthday party or a rare pizza party, or those rare occasions we ate out. It was a treat. When I went to my freshman year of college, I lived in a dorm and had all the soda from the fountain I wanted at meal time. So I drank a ton to make up for all that I missed as a kid. That lasted about one semester, after which I was totally sick of soda. Since then it was supposed to be only when eating out or special occasions. Now, I find myself eating out a bit more often than in the past (mostly fast food or Culvers/Panda/fast casual type stuff) as we go out on Saturdays after a day of house building (that will stop once the house is done) and my daughter and I go once a month on the way home from her music practice/lessons, and we occasionally have a family night out anyway. I also occasionally sneak in, once or twice or three times a month something when I am out doing errands. More than I should. I still try to avoid carbs by ditching buns etc but end up getting too many carbs (for me) on those days. And it leads to more soda drinking.

We rarely buy soda at home though I have had Mt Dew flavors, of the No Sugar variety, at home when 12 packs are on a good sale, as of last summer. Some weeks I don't drink any and some weeks one or two. This is my private stash (no one else wants no sugar or diet versions and I don't buy normal ones)

Even though I don't like "diet" sodas, I drink them now though I will sometimes drink a little of the sugared ones. You see, I like to mix and all the restaurants today have self serve fountains. So I mix whatever is available, and usually they don't have a lot of no sugar/diet choices so I mix in standard sodas in very small amounts with whatever diet / no sugar drink I am using as a base. "Fruit Punch" flavored drinks are a really good choice for mixing with both fruity sodas like Mt Dew and also with Colas. You need just a squirt. Enough to get a couple mm at the bottom of your cup. I also like to add in a couple squirts of root beer to colas.

At Raising Canes, where they don't have a lot of choice, I put in a few suirts of Root Beer, a few Squirts of Orange soda, a squirt of fruit punch, a squirt or two of Dr Pepper, and the rest (90%+) is the No Sugar Coke (not diet, which they also have).

At In-N-Out I use Root Beer, Dr. Pepper, the 0-calorie lemonade, and the rest Diet Coke.

At Costco I generally use a little of the no calorie lemonade, a small amount of regular Mt Dew, a little Root Beer, and the rest diet Pepsi. Or I just use the no calorie lemonade, a little regular Mt Dew, and the soda water (some of the Costcos have the soda water on one of their machines water buttons).

A small amount of Lemonade with anything is a good mixer. Adds a small amount of tartness.

At Culvers I use either a little fruit punch with the rest being diet Mt Dew, or I use a little diet pepsi, a little fruit punch, a little diet Mt Dew, and the rest the diet root beer.

At Taco Bell I mostly use a squirt of the low calorie fruit punch gatorade, a few squirts of the half-calorie orange mt dew labeled energy drink, several squirts of the diet Mt Dew and the rest the Baja Blast. If you do it right, you get layers of color too and people call it a Marley Blast or Bob Marley blast... It is very good.

The fruit punch goes a long way so just a slight squirt in most cases is enough to be noticeable.

Those places with the touch screen coke machines that have everything are like heaven to me, since I have a huge selection of choices including a lot of no-calorie or very low calorie drinks to choose to mix with and so usually don't have to mix with the sugared drinks, which allows me to have more equal mixes (not one overall 85-95% base with a little other stuff added). But only BK, Wendys, Zaxbys, and a few other places have those and we don't go to those places very often.

When mixing, the base no sugar/diet is most of the cup, and the sugared are just a few squirts to change the taste a little.

My preference for Colas is Dr Pepper, Coke, Pepsi in that order, but I'll take what they have. I am not a huge cola fan but most places are cola centric. I am not picky.

I've been a Mt Dew fan since HS, when the small diner across the street became our hang out after Saturday band practices and they had the "piss tonic". This is why about the only thing I buy for home are the various non-regular varieties of Mountain Dew. Right now I have "Spark" and the "Major Melon" in my private stash. The three 12 packs I bought should last many months if I am careful. (Mt Dew Spark is a raspberry lemonade inspired Mt Dew and Major Melon is watermelon inspired Mt Dew).

Mostly, at home, when we want the fizz on the tongue we use the sparkling water (usually flavored) and optionally add Torani/Da Vinci syrups to make our own "italian sodas". We have a big collection of Torani/Da Vinci sugared syrups and a small one of their non sugar ones. You can make your "soda" as sweet or non-sweet as you like. I like adding vanilla to whatever water I have, sometimes with a litttle raspberry or strawberry, to make a cream soda of whatever flavor of sparkling water I have. The older I get, the more I "crave" that fizz on the tongue. Don't know why...

I grew up calling it pop or soda pop until I moved to New England at the old age of 10. I had to learn the word "tonic" as a generic name for soda, though, of course, they understood the word "soda" by itself as well. Eventually I came to realize that when someone was talking about "cokes" as in "who is going to bring the cokes" they did not mean Coca Cola. They meant "soda" or "soda pop". "Cokes" (always plural IIRC) had become a generic word for sodas. It was quite the culture shock for a kid.

Now in Utah most people call it pop, or soda pop. They understand soda, which is what I say.

Anyway, thanks for indulging me. I've been meaning to make these comments when things were being discussed but was always busy or away working on the house (or the day job)...
I use real lemon juice from a fresh lemon and add the flesh and zest with a nice sparkling mineral water, and some grated ginger on the odd occasion, lime works too, and I do not add keto sugars, I like the non sugar taste, and it supposedly helps ketosis, at present we are usually leaning to wards carnivore but today I made too cauliflower pizza,approx the same size one thinner one thicker the left one was well cooked on the edge but being just cauliflower and cheese there is not burnt taste like if it was wheat base yum yum

Attachments

• 2C12EE3B-FB07-41E1-93C4-B17F6A45A510.jpeg
    2C12EE3B-FB07-41E1-93C4-B17F6A45A510.jpeg
    648.5 KB · Views: 73
  • FC59A10D-1661-425B-9B45-A0686FD80381.jpeg
    FC59A10D-1661-425B-9B45-A0686FD80381.jpeg
    628.5 KB · Views: 72
Good Morning/Afternoon Everyone out there in cyber space and Model Railroading. Thunderstorms over-night and some nice rainfall that'hs needed since we're in a drought stage. More rain on the way. Snow tomorrow!

Not a lot out there to report today.

I ordered replacement bevel gears for my 80 Ton Shay in case I need them and the supply of spares runs out. I'm not too crasy about working on the Shay and removing the bevel gears that are deflective.

I lost a handrail bracket on the front of my Shay and ordered a replacement many years ago. The shipping was more than the part. When it arrived I left it in its mailing package and placed it in a steel file cabinet for safe keeping. I when to check on it, mice and crewed the package open and the part gone. No more in stock at Bachmann and I would have to purchase the entire boiler assembly. No way!

Years later I found the part in its plastic case laying on the floor. It escaped the mouse.

I used Red Dogwood for HO scale logs and the red color of the stems turns dark as it aged. In the future going to use either White Pine or Spruce twigs collected at the cabin.

View attachment 143830
Redwood Twigs holding my E Z Line spool while I string the lines.-Greg

I'll be busy cutting the twigs since I plan on replacing the plastic logs on some of my pulpwood cars.

One of my projects to add some more trees and shrubs to rock formations in the background so they look like less of a collection of rock forms.

That's about all for now...................

Greg

######################

View attachment 143831
A short distance to the right of the photo posted above. The terminal building will be painted a different color and the windows boarded up. I'll add some galvanized roofing to the roof.-Greg
The telephione wire looks really good

Morning gang!

Sorry I have not been posting much at all lately. I have been lurking now an then and see everyone has been busy, such is life. I have been busy with work and the seasonal changes here in upstate NY. The weather is definitely crazy at best. I have burned wood the last 2 nights. Almost done with all the wood for this season. If I have any left it will go in the burn pile for summer pit fires. No progress to report on the layout but a few minor purchases. I will be taking some time off next month and will do a few MRR things then it will be dormant for a while. I will keep my radar on for certain purchases. I am still trying to find a Micro Engineering ladder switch #5e for my yard. Also looking for my last UP heritage unit Athearn Genesis 1st release with sound in DRGW #1989. I have a few other items on the hit lists to get. I am looking at another fantasy unit ES44 by Intermountain in a Western Pacific with sound. I am debating it right now.

Fishing season is upon me and for me it is coming this Friday on April 1st. I will be hitting the the streams for trout this weekend.

Next weekend (2nd week of April) I will be getting my boat out to prepare for trip for some lake trout and salmon. I will also will go after some perch and crappie as they are wonderful to have for meals. Then May 1st will be turkey season and walleye season. I will bag 2 turkeys for the legal limit as always. Walleye are superb table fair. 5 a day limit so that's good! I will post some pics when I bag'em! I have a huge trip coming this early summer/late spring to Lake of the Woods in Canada. It will be an awesome fishing trip. I cannot wait! Then I will zip down to NC to the Davidson River for some big brown trout with my buddy. When I go to NC I will investigate on my old pal Jerome. I miss that guy.

I recently met up with a sweet lady and well we hit it off for the time being and we shall see where that goes. She is a true ADK country mountain gal and loves to fish. In fact she will be going trout fishing with me this weekend. We will see how that goes! I do not have much expectations in relationships etc. I just go with the flow and as long as it doesn't disrupt my grumpy butt ways as I am an o'l bachelor who is set in my ways lol. I have dated a few in the past and sent them away on many occasions when the red flags flew up lol. Anyhow this one seems to be a good catch but time will tell.

Ya'll have a good one! I hope everyone with all the current events and personal events or hardships going on for each of you have better days coming. Keep your chin up. If you are down there is no where to go but up so there's that! Best wishes to all of you with your family and friends. I will be around but more in the "lurk mode" as my love for the outdoors is calling me. I will be back time after time. All is well on my home front!
Now see if she likes model railways and she’s perfect, he’ll if everything else works we can forgive her not being into train modelling …winks

Afternoon All,

Today included more pool work, work on the tower, and chauffeuring the wife to Wally World. The pool is looking much better. Today I attached the lower hip roofs and outside stairwell. In all fairness the hip roofs and stairs were actually fairly easy to do. Actually, the stairs were easier to do than many kits I have done in the past. All I have left to do on the build is the upper roof which should be interesting.

Joe- Yea, it's a shame. The kits are not for beginners.

Jaz- Nice scenes. I like them when they're not perfect.

Troy- What is an illegal army?

Willie- Nice homestead photo. I thought I recognized the bungalow.

Guy- Nice looking tanks. The stars aligned for you. :)

Dave- Those darn varmints!

Greg- Nice scene.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon, all! The front blew through this morning in about 3 hours. The sun came out and turned into a nice day.

Thanks to all for the suggestions on the T.J. Reilly scene. I tried to accommodate as many as I could. I do like this better.
1648675021666.jpeg

Also here is an overview so you get an idea of how it fits in the layout.
1648675164478.jpeg

1648675216586.jpeg

STAY SAFE

LATER

Hello global modelers and space freaks.

Sitting in a hotel room after visiting the Johnson SpaceCenter outside of Houston, Texas. If you like anything about space, past, present or the future you need to make this a must stop.
1DE9E831-3148-440B-8433-919BAAC4CC34.jpeg
2CA332B4-13FF-407C-8FE4-AAB2FDFA428F.jpeg
E9C08DFC-6EE5-422D-AB48-23E64825851E.jpeg

We are debating if we go to the NBA game in Houston tonight. Had a great sandwich at a deli in Houston. Kenny and Ziggys NY deli. Not like any NY or Chicago deli I have been in but the food was awesome.
9459CF7F-12B8-40EA-B377-CA09AB9D0BAE.jpeg

We actually saw more wild flowers along Texas 290 from Austin to Houston then in the Hill Country where they are famous. Because of the rain the Hill Country received after midnight last night we may get to see some large clusters as advertised next week.

Willie, Feb. 2020 before Covid we spent 2 nights in Fredericksburg and the hotel room was $189 per night. Terry was checking her records after I read to her your pricing comment. So we called the place we normally stay in Fredericksburg and the front desk offered us our 2 nights for $520 plus taxes. We will drive over next week, go around the area and return to son’s place. We do like the Fredericksburg area and head over every couple years except of course 2020 and 2021.

Yesterday, was spent in Temple
9B260BAC-370A-41F8-A2CF-A5B8C3857AFE.jpeg
where we went to a train museum alongside the BNSF locomotive servicing tracks.

Waco, Texas where we had to stop at Chip and Johanna Gaines of HGTV fame and visit the Magnolia empire. The Silo’s which was well done
C3EBBA7A-D880-4F1C-9E8D-FCCE11E16847.jpeg
C7E4E504-2CA7-4BCD-89B3-CB9A55DC13E1.jpeg
1380C716-2870-4E9A-B505-C27640FD5087.jpeg

Magnolia Kitchens worried me that it would be an expensive tourist trap. Great food at reasonable prices that are better then the Austin area pricing. Very happy and of course Terry was thrilled.

Enjoy your night
TomO

Evening, we've had a few wind storms here and one thing I noticed is the squirrel nest in the top of the tree across the street is still there. Still intact yet people have roof,siding, or other types of damage to their houses. How they are known to forget where they bury their nuts, yet engineer leaves into an indestructible home.🤷‍♂️
On the train front nothing new waiting on a few parts to finish some projects.

Last edited:
Troy- What is an illegal army?
In this case, it's an illegal build, according to the rules of the game.

Only problem is, the game company sponsoring the tourney, is doing logical contortions to retrofit the illegal build into legality... Dude brought an army that his official list said was X... but the sponsors who supposedly verified that the list was built according to the rules say it was obvious G...

They're getting pounded by disgruntled players on their social media enough that they turned off commenting on any post that tackles the issue. And they're deleting posts asking how the mental gymnastics and bodily contortions were accomplished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back