Running Bear's March 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Cloudy and 46°. Weather radar is showing rain here, but my weather rock is dry. Wasn't in the forecast for today. At least the wind temporarily stopped overnight. Not expecting temperature to rise above 70° today, but back to normal tomorrow.

Must be Thursday as the fridge is quite empty, so I'll be making the weekly grocery trek. Gas in the area has not changed since last week, it was still in the $3.64/gallon range everywhere yesterday. However I did have enough Kroger gas points for a 30¢/gallon reduction. Added to today's trip is a stop at Sam's Club eyeglass center with my new glasses script. After lunch and a nap, it's off to the nursery for the much delayed plants.

Thanks to all who commented on or reacted to the homestead and kit pictures yesterday; Steve J, Sherrel, Guy, Smudge, James, Dave B, Mikey, Patrick, Hughie, Joe, Louis, George, Jaz, Curt, Rick, IB Ken, Tom O, Tom, OB Ken.

A lot of action out in the train shed yesterday with few real results. I mostly cut out clear acetate and glued it to window frames. But along the way, I painted the trim on the now assembled structure. This was tedious.
Before.
IMG_0614.JPG

After.
IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

Then after hitting it with dull coat, I installed all of the now completed windows.
IMG_0617.JPG

I also installed the previously assembled and painted brick columns. The top of the columns is not glued yet, just there to assure proper alignment. Porch needs to be assembled first.
IMG_0618.JPG

Guy -
The 3x tankcars cost just under $200.00 shipped for free.
That's outrageous! At over $66 apiece, I don't think that shipping was really free! They are great looking cars though. Maybe I am just naive to prices as I haven't purchased a new freight car in over eight years.
James - It seems that you have your priorities well planned out for the upcoming months.
Looking forward to an update on Jerome, if that's the same Jerome who's been AWOL from the forum.
Dave B - Yes, that lush green field is very pleasant to observe every day. Two months from now it will be "amber waves of grain".
Hughie - Much improved scene. I generally set a scene up and observe for a few days and then go back with improvements. There's always so much that I don't always see the first time around.
Tom O - It's surge pricing in Fredericksburg right now!:eek: Thanks for the update on the wildflower season. Johnson Space Center didn't look too crowded.
Troy - After two posts, I still don't understand the illegal army! Don't waste your time trying to explain it further, as it won't really matter to me.;)
IB Ken - Glad to read that you have recovered.
Terry - Sad to read your post this morning. Prayers and positive thoughts continue.

Everybody have a wonderful day.

Morning everyone!

It was such a beautiful day yesterday, that I laid the tools down and went for a walk. I'll share with you a few photos, much the same as you've seen before. These are all taken yesterday, though.

First we'll take a photo from atop the pedestrian rail-crossing vantage point. The sign said where I was standing was Mile 10273 of the Sangudo Sub. I went up there to see what was happening around me:
CN Yard_03-30-2022 (1).jpg
Down below, are the SD40 switchers hanging on to a couple of boxcars and a snow-removal machine. Not much, but, enough to take a few photos of.
So, I walk down into the yard. Once there, I snap a few photos of the cars as I'm strolling along:
CN Yard_03-30-2022 (2).jpg
CN Yard_03-30-2022 (3).jpg
CN Yard_03-30-2022 (4).jpg
It appears to me, that someone was trying to soften up the CN boxcar with a grinder. Perhaps it will be getting a repaint.

Here's the engines being used for switching duties. A pair of SD40-2W's. I'm not an expert, but, I'd say 5281 don't have a retarding braking system. In my inexperience, I'll say that's why they are configured so differently.
CN 5281 SD40-2W_03-30-2022 (1).jpg
CN 5281-2W_03-30-2022 (2).jpg
CN 5322_SD40-2W_03-30-2022 (1).jpg
I know Sherrel don't like poles hogging the photos. I tried my best to keep them as low profile as I could.

I wanted to get some better photos of the snow-removal machine, but, I didn't want to get too close. No sense in exciting the operator.
CN Yard_03-30-2022 (5).jpg

I'm probably not going to walk through the yard to many more times. Hundreds of that type of photo has already been collected.
However, if I see something different or unusual in there, I'm going in. This is a small town with small town leniency. The CN rail guy's don't mind me as they know I'm just taking a photo. One of them even told me where he was going to park his train, if I wanted to attend that place.

Well, today's post is getting excessive. Suppose I'd better quit now.
Thanks for the likes on these simple posts. Have a good one!

That's outrageous! At over $66 apiece, I don't think that shipping was really free! They are great looking cars though. Maybe I am just naive to prices as I haven't purchased a new freight car in over eight years.

That is European N-scale price (which is outrageous and why most of mine are used or closeouts that were half that which is still expensive)!

Luckily my Japanese freight are mostly in the $6-$15 range more or less.

GUY - It will be a hot time in Whitecourt when your posts get excessive!
'm sorry to have let you down on the tank cars - believe it or not - I just found them under boxes of Christmas Decor. I thought with your infrastructure building that you would not want them at this time. Can you cancel the order?

TERRY - Very sorry to hear of Marie's continuing problems. Prayfully things will start to improve.

GUY - 'm sorry to have let you down on the tank cars - believe it or not - I just found them under boxes of Christmas Decor. I thought with your infrastructure building that you would not want them at this time. Can you cancel the order?
Sherrel - No problem with the tankcar; you didn't let me down. With the way the post office is acting these days, it would only have been an expensive pain-in-the-arse anyways. - I sent my cousin in Holland a tanned deer hide recently. The post office held it hostage until she paid a considerable fee; and that was after I had already paid $60.00 to send it to her.
It's not worth sending people stuff anymore.

Guy -

Willie - I think you would be shocked at the prices manufacturers want to gouge you for today. Even with the exchange rates, the American side isn't much better when it comes to price on new cars. You people are very lucky to have model/trade shows. - I did buy nine Walthers Trainline cars earlier on for a good price. They need to all be re-done though, because they are all the same road number and not near as nice as the Proto line. I think the Trainline are just rehashes of old Bachmann cars.

Since I've placed a 2nd post in one day, I need to post another photo. It's a simple one, though. Only a trailer at a furniture warehouse:
Leons_03-23-2022 (1).jpg

The dogs bugging me to go for a walk. Have a good one!

- I sent my cousin in Holland a tanned deer hide recently. The post office held it hostage until she paid a considerable fee; and that was after I had already paid $60.00 to send it to her.

That is because you sent it to Europe. They are sticklers about VAT, customs duties, fees for customs services, delivery fees, etc.

The other model train forum I am on (JNSForum) has European guys who are always saying what they have to pay to get shipments from Japan or the US.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Cloudy and 46°. Weather radar is showing rain here, but my weather rock is dry. Wasn't in the forecast for today. At least the wind temporarily stopped overnight. Not expecting temperature to rise above 70° today, but back to normal tomorrow.

Must be Thursday as the fridge is quite empty, so I'll be making the weekly grocery trek. Gas in the area has not changed since last week, it was still in the $3.64/gallon range everywhere yesterday. However I did have enough Kroger gas points for a 30¢/gallon reduction. Added to today's trip is a stop at Sam's Club eyeglass center with my new glasses script. After lunch and a nap, it's off to the nursery for the much delayed plants.

Thanks to all who commented on or reacted to the homestead and kit pictures yesterday; Steve J, Sherrel, Guy, Smudge, James, Dave B, Mikey, Patrick, Hughie, Joe, Louis, George, Jaz, Curt, Rick, IB Ken, Tom O, Tom, OB Ken.

A lot of action out in the train shed yesterday with few real results. I mostly cut out clear acetate and glued it to window frames. But along the way, I painted the trim on the now assembled structure. This was tedious.
Before.View attachment 143874
After.
View attachment 143875
View attachment 143876
Then after hitting it with dull coat, I installed all of the now completed windows.
View attachment 143877
I also installed the previously assembled and painted brick columns. The top of the columns is not glued yet, just there to assure proper alignment. Porch needs to be assembled first.
View attachment 143878

Guy -

James - It seems that you have your priorities well planned out for the upcoming months.
Looking forward to an update on Jerome, if that's the same Jerome who's been AWOL from the forum.
Dave B - Yes, that lush green field is very pleasant to observe every day. Two months from now it will be "amber waves of grain".
Hughie - Much improved scene. I generally set a scene up and observe for a few days and then go back with improvements. There's always so much that I don't always see the first time around.
Tom O - It's surge pricing in Fredericksburg right now!:eek: Thanks for the update on the wildflower season. Johnson Space Center didn't look too crowded.
Troy - After two posts, I still don't understand the illegal army! Don't waste your time trying to explain it further, as it won't really matter to me.;)
Terry - Sad to read your post this morning. Prayers and positive thoughts continue.

Willie- Yup that be the one and only......Jerome

Trying to post a vid link to a google drive - please try to view and let me know if it works. Thanks all!

Complete with greyhound photo bomb!

Yeah, it's viewable.
A video tip. When doin a video of a train on the curve, shoot from a higher elevation so you can see over the train. Being to close to the train doesn't look good as it's more of an unpleasant blur than a train going by. Yeah, there may be a few on here who really enjoy the close up shots that make ya feel like your nose is being slapped, but prolly not to many.

Good afternoon all,

28° and cloudy. It was 30 when I got up so not sure what is going on, temp was supposed to rise up to 41° today. At least no snow overnight.

Hughie - nice improvements on the TJ rielley bldg scene

Tom - amazing about the squirrel nest. We have one on the edge of our woods, gets the brunt of the NW wind yet seems to ignore the winds. Never thought about it before.

Ken D & J - funny how some old contacts cannot be shaken, others claim they "lost track" of you. I am still getting stuff from my University of Minnesota days, even though I told them they were wasting money sending me stuff, from 1980? I am getting stuff addressed to my late Mom and Dad as well. Some stuff, there seems no way to shut off.

Willie - nice looking Bungalow. I wish I had more room on my layout, sometimes; I will be cramming a bunch of smaller residences into a corner, I think, so there is a residential area. PLus, I want to use these old buildings that I like, also a couple new kits that I purchased.

Guy - great pics from your walk!

I worked on my layout a little last night, will post them here; top pic outlined proposed road in purple line, have leveled the hydrocal out some also painted the new coat last night. In green, I tried to move the track away from the hillside, probably want to take up some of the ballast and move it away a bit more:

road, etc.png

There is going to be a slight S in the green, I think; that is where I need to move the track a tad, that track goes around the back side of the feed mill.

The purple line may dead end at the tracks, haven't fully decided yet, there has to be some derrick activity there by the quarry face

IMG_2043.JPG

I had some time before supper last night to paint over some of my new plaster work. The little lines disappear when the ground cover is in place.

more later, Dave LASM

Terry, I'm so very sorry to hear about Marie.

Boris, no worries, pitchers only work on one or two pitches per outing in the spring. You will see a different mix of pitches after opening day and hopefully better results.
Spring or not, no manager or pitching coach wants to ever see 15 runs in one inning! That is a really big can of whoop ass! The Cardinals have some serious hitters.

Afternoon All,

Finished working on the pool and finished the tower such as it is. I also soldered the light extension wires on. The roof had 9 separate cards that had to be arranged before putting shingles on. It was basically a small jig saw puzzle. Tomorrow, I have to go to the school to help pack the boof fair up.

Hughie- Nice layout shots.

TomO- Sounds like a fun vacation.

Patrick- I don't think I have ever heard of Cosmoshere. I didn't know you were looking for another job. Good luck.

Terry- I very sorry to hear of the continuing medical issues with Marie.

Joe- It's more than stonewalling. I my experience (EMS) most facilities don't do crap for patients. All they're doing is warehousing and making money. I can't count the times I went to an Assisted Living or Nursing Facility and the on-duty nurse knows nothing about the patient. Families have to be involved or the patient will fall through the cracks.

Guy- Nice 1:1 photos.

Willie- Nice progress.

Steve- Nice videos. I had forgotten how long greyhound legs are.

Dave- Nice looking scenery base.

layout14.jpg

layout15.jpg

layout16.jpg

layout17.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Before.View attachment 143874
After.
View attachment 143875
View attachment 143876
View attachment 143877
View attachment 143878

Guy -

Willie, the Space Center was not packed. Part of it was we got there at 2 and our tram reservations were for 3:50 and they closed at 5.

We left Houston a day early. Terry wanted crab on the Riverwalk in San Antonio.
179C91DA-E1F0-48C1-8B43-4F9E067963C1.jpeg
5B719055-5B14-42EF-B7B6-5B577DB745A6.jpeg
83B114BB-FA06-43F2-84E4-B3C0BD39C5E4.jpeg

Having no plans is great to be able to venture out whenever. We have been to SA many times and the downtown plus the Riverwalk is always a welcome good time on our adventures. Not a fan of the Houston area but the food has been great!

Tom

Welp... wife spent the day with her mother. Drs appts and such. Stop in at the Sr. Apts... mom decided she was going to do it, signed the lease, paid the fees

And had a UTI. So another Dr. visit to get a prescription...

But, she's got a key. All three daughters will be there next week to help her pack, etc.

As for the canopy at our condo, Smudge's suggestion got my brain working. figured out how to make it work. Hardware store run tomorrow. Probably won't put the canopy back up for another week or two. Maybe not until we get a full week with sunshine. It's too chilly to sit outside right now.

Need: 2 hook-bolts. Coated wire. 2x loop fastener crimper thingies.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back