Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would comment on your post yesterday, but it would definitely be political; the immunizations part!

Willie: I tried to dance around the political aspect, when I mentioned it, out of frustration. However, I'm sure readers might be surprised at who is raising the fuss. The folks in this part of the world are very petty and extremely resentful. Highly unusual for what is predominately a bedroom suburb.

Wife went to Walmart this morning...not one employee she encountered was wearing their mask properly. Separately, I went to the dump, the car wash, and the Bank. No one I encountered, except the three fellows working out doors at the car wash was wearing a mask...at all. When you factor in the lack of immunizations it's no wonder why this town has the highest infection rate in Monmouth County.

They screwed up when they "saved" Chrysler the 1st time.
Actually it started with the S&L bailouts that were a bit earlier

Alan and Karl: Don't forget the Penn Central + Northeast Railroads bailout, in 1976. That was the start. The S&L was in the mid 80s and Chrysler 1 was the early 80s (Iaccoca and his K cars). The shenanigans involving the banking and insurance industries from 2008 rank right up there..."Too big to Fail".

The only difference this time around was that many problems were caused by the government's handling of the pandemic which caused all the business failures and unemployment. Not even sure how valid that argument is.

Moving right along, we are only weeks away from the 45th anniversary of Conrail. Conrail, is still around, as a delivery system for its owners NS and CSX. For that matter, we are less than two months away from the 50th anniversary of the establishment of Amtrak.

AAkEGAu.jpg

E60 # 952 on the head end of a Florida train at Bowie MD. 1976 era. Photographer Unknown.

Good Morning Everyone.....over cast day after a light snowfall over night leaving approximately an inch of snow on the grassy areas.

Another day of Doggie Sitting for Riley while Cathy goes shopping. Riley needs some supervision when left alone, but will sleep a lot during the day and not be a problem. Riley is growing as a puppy and is getting use to the household routines and follows our rule that Riley recieves no "People Food" and she will not beg or ask for handouts when we are eating.

We solved the "Puppy Gate" problem on the top of the basement stairway. The gate's door was too small for me to comfortably walk through either going up or down the stairs. Coming up was a disaster soon to happen! Now we have a moveable gate that can be removed entirely from the stairs when I want to go down or come up from the basement. The stairs are in a back hallway with doors blocking Riley's access to the stairway. Riley being a mini-Dachshund will likely never be able to travel up and down the stairs by herself. She so small and her body style, being like a real "Wiener" makes the stairs a challenge.

Watched a series of programs late last night on homes for sale in Alaska. In each program a family was shown three different homes in various parts of Alaska at different price points. Some of log style homes were spectacular!!! I've been against making a move at this stage in our lives, the thought of packing, a new house to decorate and the overall expenses beyond the cost of the house. and, start a new layout along with the room preparation. But, after seeing the different homes in the program, at least I can think about moving. Some updating at the cabin is on the front burner like the bathroom and kitchen which will take the place of moving from our house and off my mind.

I found in the carpet of the train room, near the work bench, a small thrush washer from a Bachman 70 tonner locomotive that I lost over two years ago. The tiny washer is silver and I saw just the light color of the washer in the room's light on the dark carpet. Some how it avoided many carpet vacuum cleanings and searches for other parts that I dropped when working at the bench..

Save businesses? I heard that many of these small business loans are not loans, but rather gifts that never have to be repaid. I wonder where and how the accounting of these monies is being handled and who's checking on how the money is used?

Stay tuned for some new photos of the layout. A patched Southern Pacific locomotive for the Union Pacific just may make it first appearance on the CM&N Railroad layout after traveling from North Carolina.

My lower back feels better since my backwards fall, but my right leg, in the hip region, has some pain when I move it. I'm going to see if exercise isn't the answer to heal the hip or leg joint. (Maybe lost a few pounds that showed up over the last year.)

Cathy is having a fog lamp replaced on my Silverado pickup for $27.00, much better price than the dealer who wants $50.00. A real case of highway robbery.

That Eric Brooman's Utah Belt box car finally sold for $197.50 on E-Bay. Quite a number for a box car that's weathered, but it has history being a Utah Belt custom box car.

1615915524602.png

Nice weathering and detailing on this Eric Brooman's Utah Belt box car.

I've considering doing a few custom box cars for the CM&N Railroad, but its on the back burner for now.

That's about all for now.....

Greg

########

Last edited:
Beautiful day in the SW today; bright sunny clear sky.
Did I mention that it rained most all day - off and on - yesterday?
A rarity out here!

Too late for breakfast, FLO - How about a BLT with sliced avocado and a coke?

Great pic and posts -- TomO - I like the prop version better? Nice planes.

Celebrating 30 years of (choke, choke) bliss today. We may have to resort to our 1 year anniversary of going to Burger King?
I was called out to cover a Hawaii flight last minute when scheduled pilot was in a car crash and rounding up kids from all their lessons. I flew the flight in jeans and a tee shirt; it was get here ASAP - wife drove and mechanic met us at the emp parking entrance to haul me to the plane!
Having a time deciding where we want to go tonight - everything's closed that we want to go too!

Beautiful day in the SW today; bright sunny clear sky.
Did I mention that it rained most all day - off and on - yesterday?
A rarity out here!

Too late for breakfast, FLO - How about a BLT with sliced avocado and a coke?

Great pic and posts -- TomO - I like the prop version better? Nice planes.

Celebrating 30 years of (choke, choke) bliss today. We may have to resort to our 1 year anniversary of going to Burger King?
I was called out to cover a Hawaii flight last minute when scheduled pilot was in a car crash and rounding up kids from all their lessons. I flew the flight in jeans and a tee shirt; it was get here ASAP - wife drove and mechanic met us at the emp parking entrance to haul me to the plane!
Having a time deciding where we want to go tonight - everything's closed that we want to go too!
Do a i o u the thoughts there you should have a nice evening together grateful to still have each other consider where you would go when it opens and do it when it does,after 30 years I dare say both of you have had to compromise a bit, best wishes to you both

Congrats! Do I understand correctly that on your 1st Anniversary you went to Burger King? Sounds like an adventurous one to get called to a Hawaii flight at the last minute. I am sure the passengers were not amused when the pilot gets on in his jeans and tshirt :)

That is what we did. I had lost my job and she was working part time as a waitress while she tried to get her RN license (she was an RN in Japan previously but had to get licensed in the US / NH). I had some coupons for the local Burger King so we went here, and an ice cream place afterwards...

We've made up for it since.

We managed to make reservations at a small "hole in the wall" Italian eatery. Our kids told us that it is small, but has excellent food. I'm sure that it will not be as good as Willie's joint, but we will enjoy being out anyway. Seems as if Monday and Tuesday are days off as far as the restaurants being closed around here.

YEAH, CHAD, Sometimes we have to play the cards we were dealt. When I walked on that plane the door was closed, passengers cheering, co-pilot released the brakes for pushback before I made it up to the cockpit. I don't think they would have cared what I had on! The flight was only about 45 min late getting to Hawaii and the station manager there told me to buy whatever I needed and he would cover it.
Coming back I snuck on the plane before the pax were boarded; they never knew that I was not in uniform.

Evening fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Didnt work on the merchants row kit last night. I did however rotate locomotives through the new throttle. I'm glad it only set me back a few bucks. Better off running my Tech 4. That's enough griping about that. I'm still running trains and that's what matters. I recieved my C&O historical magazine in the mail. Has really good reading material in it for me this go around. Hoppers, motor car set offs, tipples, and GP9s. All good information that's for sure. That's about all I have for now. I'll stop by again sometime. Just depends on what I get into.

JUSTIN - I guess that I missed a post back in years of yore! What happened to your throttle? Did you burn it out, or short it out, or hit it with a hammer?
Which one? The troller I had goes bonkers now without warning. The reason I got a Varipulse in the first place. The Varipulse I broke trying to adjust the voltage on. So now I'm running a cab control 55. It's ok I suppose. It works. Not great for switching though. The troller and Varipulse were better. I always have my Tech 4 260 as well. Just a bunch of running around the layout when I use it.

For what it's worth these past few days have been crappy in the world of railroading for me. Broken throttles. Broke a mount on the GP9s motor trying to figure out why it runs hot. Which is a new development. So I'll add a can motor to the list. Just a whole bunch of setbacks....

Morning all,

Happy St. Paddy's day to all. Stormy and 44° this morning. Supposed to rain all day with some snow in SW Kansas later with wind gusts to 60+. Anything they get won't last. They are talking we may see some flakes of the stuff overnight, but nothing sticking.

Electrician didn't do what I expected with the electric line, and I partially know why. That said he's supposed to come back with some surface mount and clean up the exposed wire between the 2 cabinets on 2 walls. The cabinets are built in, so the wire runs at the top inside the cabinets. The boy is OK with that as it doesn't affect what you see until the doors are open. His house, so I shouldn't stress if he's ok with it.

Sherrel: Happy belated to you and the Mrs. I don't do Burger King as I've had too many cold burgers from there. Seems when we'd stop, my burgers always have to go back as I don't like room temperature meals.

As a former Wendy's employee, I liked the following:

Ding Fries are done

This actually predates the Family Guy version.

Good Morning All. Happy St, Patrick's Day from an avid Irishman. Three of my four grandparents were born in Ireland and came across the pond in the early 1900's. Here it is raining and 60°. Thunderstorms started around 0430 CDT, but they aren't heavy. Less than 0.1" fell in the first hour. Looks like another hour to go. High wind advisory for the next day and a half starting this afternoon with 30 mph winds from the west and then NW. That will drop the overnight temperatures to ~40° until Saturday.
All work and no play yesterday. They only had the rear brake pads at the parts store yesterday, so I left with them and a new battery for the tractor. Front ones were due in late yesterday evening. Battery cost $48.00, plus a "core charge" of $10. That was immediately refunded because I took the old one in...why bother??? Bought fresh gas for the tractor and spent part of the afternoon mowing. While I did some minor mowing about two weeks ago, this was the latest date that I had to get seriously mowing in the last 20 years! I also spent time clearing up yard debris from the wintertime tree pruning so I can mow everywhere soon. While mowing, I discovered a few more branches that need elimination before I have a medical issue. The safety glasses only cover my eyes!

Green eggs and ham for me this morning as well, Flo. TRIVIA - The book Green Eggs and Ham, uses only 50 different words! Let's see Troy do that!

Thanks to everyone who reacted or commented yesterday; Justin, Karl, Chad, Tom O, Gary, Rick, Hughie, Sherrel, Jaz, Tom, Patrick.

As I posted, I did chores all day and didn't get but maybe 30 minutes in the train shed. All that I did there was tidy stuff up, didn't even run a train.
I went back into the archives this morning for another shot of the Merchant's Row I block that I did back in 2018. I could only find this one to post today.
07-19-18 004.JPG

Joe -
The folks in this part of the world are very petty and extremely resentful
While the "good 'ole boy" way of doing business around here may not always seem fair, it is usually quicker and cheaper than endless studies.
Greg -
I heard that many of these small business loans are not loans, but rather gifts that never have to be repaid.
That is correct. Some taxpayer in the future is going to be dinged for all of these "forgivable" loans.
I haven't commented on it before now, but that is an absolutely absurd price paid for that Utah Belt freight car. The article description clearly states that it is a Roundhouse car, some of the cheapest cars that I have purchased over the years. My bet is that it will not see rails in the near future. Makes me think about doing some "custom weathering" and selling cars on E-Bay!
Jaz - Really nice work on the stone structure.
Sherrel - I'm waiting on a review of your Italian restaurant. I've been to a few places in Dallas that couldn't come even close to Pelligrinos.

Everybody have a great St. Patrick's Day. Don't start drinking until you get home. I'm holding off on the corned beef until Friday when my wife returns. Stay safe everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back