Running Bear's March 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this Covid stuff is giving me flashbacks ,I must have gotten PTSD as a result of all those sadistic 2nd grade school teachers back in the "Good Ole Days" of the late 60's .

Everybody stand up were all going to the cafeteria , the school nurse has a new "nail gun" she wants to show you...Single file now ...Psssshhhh..(click)pshjunk......pshjunk...all ya'll roll up your sleeves ....not that side the other side(some of the kids weren't to bright)

Sure enough there's nurse Ratched standing there with some sort pneumatic gun.

...PjunkPjunkPjunk....PjunkPjunkPjunkPjunkPjunkPjunk.... oouw that thing made a mark...what is that......

(smart a$$) its a tattoo ... its call a swastika ...we're all joinin' the Hitler Youth.

(Teacher) NO its not a swastika ...The only person with a swastika is the school nurse ....she has one on her behind...the state put it there.

From then on every time some kid fell down at recess and had to go to the nurse , They would ask the nurse if it was true . You could hear the school principal laughing all the way to 3rd grade. She finally got so fed up with it , when one ask ...she offered to show it to them .....Big Mistake...didn't take long for the parents to hear about it.

They transferred her to High School , she was glad to get away from us , of course 6 years later there was no place left to hide.

Evening fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Garry hang in there and hopefully you can make a good recovery. Been working on the merchants row kit this weekend. Man this is a long winded project!!! Finally at a stage if I wanted to put it together I can. However I'm not 100% sure I want to at this very moment. Not having this structure on the layout has stalled my layout build for the time being. I feel like I need to finish this kit with a wash though. Any recommendations?
20210314_202509.jpg

Good morning gang
28° and partly cloudy, heading to 45°.

After cleaning the garage yesterday, and filling 2 trash hoppers, I was able to shoot the oxide red and silver parts of the Bachmann 2-8-0. Maybe next weekend I can mask and shoot the black.

Everyone have a good day, and hey, let's be careful out there!

Morning all,

Rainy weekend, but not bad. Got about 1.5" of the wet stuff mixed with hail. I was reminded that I haven't applied the Rain-x to the windshield (windscreen for Jaz) and need to get it done. I was sure I had the truck well beaten by the hail, but as it turned out, it was only soft hail, so no damage...Yeah!

Wife got up about 6:00a yesterday and as she came out of our bathroom, asked if the rumble outside was an earthquake. I said no, just thunder (it had been raining) and about a minute later another rumble that actually got me out of bed, I said, "That one was...." Overall we had 5 on the east side of Wichita, 3 of them actually felt at my house 15 miles away. 3 were in the 3.5-4.0 magnitude, strongest being a 4.0.

Today is National Nap day. I'm still wondering why we do the change anymore. There's been a bill introduced in our legislature every year for the past 7 years to get off of Daylight saving time, but it goes nowhere. We aren't saving any energy, heart attacks and strokes are up in the first week we do this every year. Only thing I can figure is that it gives rich people who can afford to play golf an opportunity to get in a round after work, of which I'm not one of.

Nice modeling pictures all. Hopefully life will slow done a bit for me sometime soon. Seems to be just spinning out of control. Good news is I'm down 20 pounds since Thanksgiving. I'm on the middle notch of my belt for the first time! I think a lot of it is that I'm not just doing a bunch of sitting and not having the extra bit between meals.

Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 48°, headed up to 76° again today. Beware the Ides of March.
Today is also the beginning of St. Patrick's Week, a time of year when true Irishmen can hit on their best buddy's wife without getting in trouble.
Drove my wife to the airport yesterday for her trip to Spring Break on South Padre Island. She and daughter's family (who drove) are all safely in their condo. Time for me to do a couple of in-house projects where I don't have to pick up all of the tools at the end of the day! Me and the granddog are enjoying some quiet time. She discovered the rabbits in the yard yesterday evening and got flustered because they ran off in opposite directions. Another try again this evening.

A couple of sausage, egg and cheese biscuits for me this morning Flo. OJ to wash it down with.

Thanks for the likes and comment regarding the upcoming tree house project; Justin, Garry, Jaz, Tom, Hughie, Karl, Tom O, Phil, Gary, Patrick.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued ballasting. I now have all of the track done except five switches. Trains run OK through the whole area. I still need to do a little tidying up, but that won't take long. Over on the workbench I cleaned up all most of the flash and other issues with the white metal castings from the tree house kit. Today I will hit them all with some gray primer, except the tree and ground base. I'll just start them with a brown undercoat.
Here is a closer look at another Downtown Deco Hydrocal structure that I have off the layout while I ballast the track behind it. This one is Blair Ave. Part I It actually has seven wall sections that have to be assembled.
03-12-21 111.JPG

The view in the restaurant's window is a picture that I got off the Internet and combined it with a mirror image of itself to get the overall interior view.
03-12-21 113.JPG

The left side showing the evidence of a now removed outside stairwell.
03-12-21 114.JPG

The back showing a paint job that will never be seen. I originally was going to add downspouts and scuppers to cover the wall joints, but this view isn't seen on the layout. I may still do it anyway when I have no other things to do.
03-12-21 115.JPG

Here's the right side view.
03-12-21 116.JPG

Note that the handrail supports are actually old Athearn metal handrail stanchions.
03-12-21 117.JPG

Garry - So glad to read that some of your health issues are getting resolved. My positive thoughts and prayers continue for you in overcoming the kidney issue.
The tree house is going to be a great addition to the layout. It's going to be a bit of a challenge to clean, paint and assemble. The metal castings need a lot of work. But I enjoy challenging kits as they usually turn out to be real scene-stealers.
Joe - Good comments yesterday regarding the vaccines and stimulus. There are some folks here in Texas that do not seem to understand the vaccination program. They are under the mistaken impression that once you register online, you are given an appointment. No, you are put on a list in the order that you register and then vaccine appointments are made in that order based on the number that the health department is allocated. No instant gratification here!
You mentioned property taxes also. In Texas, most property taxes on a primary home are frozen once one of the owners reaches 65 years of age. The valuations can go up, but not the specific taxes like the school tax. Someone else gets dinged when the property is sold or inherited. Does Jersey not have a similar program??? Our property taxes can be higher than most other states though, because we have no state income tax. My own example is I own 15 acres with a four bdr, 2 bath 1500 sq.ft. home. One acre and the home are covered with a homestead exemption. 14 acres have an agricultural exemption. Train shed, barn and chicken house (unused) are taxed at full value. Still, my yearly tax is only $900.
Tom O - Some interesting facts regarding the rental properties. Sadly many landlords are really getting hurt by the eviction moratorium nationwide.
Justin - Regarding the wash, I generally just use a standard wash that's an alcohol/water mix with a little white, concrete or gray thrown in. I don't remember the exact proportions, I got them off some kit manufacturer's instructions, but I believe that it is close to 20 drops each water and IPA, with one to two drops of water based paint. Another suggestion if I may. Vary the colors of the facades and windows of the MR-I structure. Unless of course that's the way they are in WV coal country.
03-15-21 002.JPG

03-15-21 003.JPG

Two different kits in two different towns on two different levels.

Yes, as Patrick pointed out, today is National Nap Day. Something that I have practiced [every day] for over 45 years.
Everybody have a great day. Stay safe and keep your separation.

Good morning from a soon to be snow covered So. Central Wisconsin, it is to start in about 30 minutes. 1-4” of heavy white stuff.

Willie, even though a few of our non paying renters should be evicted we won’t even when we can. I have had the managers explain to non payers that we will help them the best we can and that we ask them to just let us know if they are leaving. We had to hire a company to clean out some refrigerators in basically hazmat suits in May when we checked to see if non payers were still in the apartments.

No trains yesterday and most likely not today. Still working on the bench cleanup organization.

be safe
TomO

Justin - Regarding the wash, I generally just use a standard wash that's an alcohol/water mix with a little white, concrete or gray thrown in. I don't remember the exact proportions, I got them off some kit manufacturer's instructions, but I believe that it is close to 20 drops each water and IPA, with one to two drops of water based paint. Another suggestion if I may. Vary the colors of the facades and windows of the MR-I structure. Unless of course that's the way they are in WV coal country
Willie we West Virginians are very basic. Towns are like camp houses.....very.....basic. Buildings together seem to match each other in the set. Seperate buildings in another set can vary. Atleast this is my experience. I havent constructed this kit yet so I can modify as needed.

Texas had history of smallpox outbreaks , in one or two cases leading to riotshttps://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/laredo-smallpox-riot. I think there had been a couple of cases reported in some of the counties . I don't think there was any vaccination program in Mexico and every 20-30 years it would find its way across.

I am pretty sure thats what it was about . It was the beginning of the school year and they had just checked our records to make sure we were all vaccinated , but the state said that wasn't good enough , we want know you had it. Society was much more mobile in the 1960's and that was giving the state nightmares.

Mid day to all you folks back East! We are at a temp of 52F - the high expected for today. It is sorta "Spitting" a few drops of moisture and we are within a shot of reaching 1/2 of our "normal average rainfall" for this time of year.

FLO, ask MEL to whip me out a CFS, lots of gravy, eggs up, and home fries. A diet DP to drink please - and coffee while I wait!

Patrick - Are your EQ's rolling, or the jolting kind? The jolting ones do the most damage out here. Knock on wood - we have not had but just a couple very tiny rolling ones in several years - that really affected us?

GARRY - God's speed on your progress. So sorry to hear of your overall health concerns!

TomO - Curious as to what make plane your son has? Friends of ours here are bailing and heading for Austin in a month or so. I wish I were following them, but sigh, too many kids and Gkids here.

Later peeps, I've just been on a "downer" the past few weeks. The Spousal Unit is doing great with her knee replacement - her Mom, I'm convinced, is going to outlive us all, and everyone else is doing good. Our 30th is coming up tomorrow ... I plan on spending the day with my bride and taking her out to dinner ... we have not dined out in over a year! I am sure that I will have to be reminded to take my elbows off the table several times?

We haven’t qualified for any of the stimulus money. I am fortunate but what slays me is reading on other forums and FB sales group the need money to pay the bills sales of model railroading stuff. Then a week later the same guys telling the world they pre-ordered stuff or got a stimulus and purchased a locomotive. I have a property management company with many apartments and duplex’s. We finished 2020 for the first time with a loss since 1992. 43% of our renters were behind at least 3 months and now lots for 12 months

I think there's to much debt built up now for those "checks" to make that much difference. I am afraid that most of economic aid for businesses is just postponing the inevitable . I suspect there could be lot of bankruptcies over the next few months /years when the aid money starts drying up.

I don't think things will ever completely go back to the way the were, The vaccines are not going to eliminate the virus in the near future, like every other virus its out of Pandora's box , its going to be around and from time to time it will mutate and rear its ugly head. The economy will have to change permanently to deal with it.

Hello to all. Sorry I missed breakfast call this morning. Started early with a one mile walk, even though it was dark at 7:00 am. Quick bowl of cereal and decided to work on a project I have been putting off - painting my small shop building. Standing on ladder for 1 1/2 hours and my knees were killing me. My mind still says I can do the things I did when I was younger, but my 70+ body does not agree!

On Covid vaccine, I have one strange thing happen. I still experience twinges of pain at the spot where they gave me my first shot. No skin discoloration, rash or anything else abnormal. Just those occasional twinges.

Does Jersey not have a similar program???

Willie:
Funny you should ask. Right now, I'm staring at NJ form PTR1, the New Jersey Senior (Tax) Freeze program. Essentially this program freezes property taxes for those over 65. The catch is it's income based. Most of my income is either excluded from State taxation, by Federal Law. The balance either comes under the pension exclusion (now up to 100K per year), or individual and age related exemptions. This is why I do not have to file a state income tax return any longer. However, the property tax freeze program requires me to disclose all income for consideration. Initially, we always fall in as eligible, but every year during budget reconciliation, we seem to exceed the final income eligibility...

I have to get this out before May, to cover me for the next year's tax bill.

The local program for providing immunizations, is on hold here, because a few politicians see a conflict in the Mayor's firm providing the injections. Also some activists are concerned because there was no priority given to "shut ins". We have appointments for our second shot on 3/27, at Town Hall. They are committed to the second immunization, but the venue may change. As I mentioned before it's Jersey!

Jersey's State Song:

Erie PA Oct 1958 W Volkmer photo.jpg

Sharks and F3s in Erie PA 1958 Bill Volkmer photo.

Good Afternoon all! Overcast with threatening rain. Just ran some trains for a couple of hours. I did get a bag of Sculptamold the other day, so I hope to try it out in a few places. I've never used it.

I love SculptaMold and I have an unused bag that I've had for several years and I hope it's still good to use. I'm not certain of the shelf life of SculptaMold?

It is much easier to use than plaster or Hydrocal and mixed great and can have additional water added if the mix isn't exactly what you want.

Greg

Last edited:
Mid day to all you folks back East! We are at a temp of 52F - the high expected for today. It is sorta "Spitting" a few drops of moisture and we are within a shot of reaching 1/2 of our "normal average rainfall" for this time of year.

FLO, ask MEL to whip me out a CFS, lots of gravy, eggs up, and home fries. A diet DP to drink please - and coffee while I wait!

Patrick - Are your EQ's rolling, or the jolting kind? The jolting ones do the most damage out here. Knock on wood - we have not had but just a couple very tiny rolling ones in several years - that really affected us?

GARRY - God's speed on your progress. So sorry to hear of your overall health concerns!

TomO - Curious as to what make plane your son has? Friends of ours here are bailing and heading for Austin in a month or so. I wish I were following them, but sigh, too many kids and Gkids here.

Later peeps, I've just been on a "downer" the past few weeks. The Spousal Unit is doing great with her knee replacement - her Mom, I'm convinced, is going to outlive us all, and everyone else is doing good. Our 30th is coming up tomorrow ... I plan on spending the day with my bride and taking her out to dinner ... we have not dined out in over a year! I am sure that I will have to be reminded to take my elbows off the table several times?

Sherrel

The son is 35 and has been in Austin 10 years after leaving Mesa And Tempe, Arizona, a year in Steamboat Springs and a year in NYC.
He has 2 planes, a Cirrus SR22T and a Cirrus Vision Jet. Both planes he purchased from Bankruptcy auctions in Midland, Texas during the oil crashes. He has a buyer for the SR22T as the company is trying it this week. The Vision Jet has a number S something but not sure. There are less then 300 made so far In Duluth, Minnesota. These are the planes with parachutes. I could fly the propeller plane but not the jet. He has had the SR22 maybe 3 years and the jet he got last summer. I know both planes he got dirt cheap and payed more to get them back to certification then the purchase price was. Neither plane can make the trip from Austin to Wisconsin nonstop. He usually stops in Wichita or Memphis usually with a copilot but not this trip. He’s a good kid and loves Austin.

Thanks for asking
TomO

I think there's to much debt built up now for those "checks" to make that much difference. I am afraid that most of economic aid for businesses is just postponing the inevitable . I suspect there could be lot of bankruptcies over the next few months /years when the aid money starts drying up.

I don't think things will ever completely go back to the way the were, The vaccines are not going to eliminate the virus in the near future, like every other virus its out of Pandora's box , its going to be around and from time to time it will mutate and rear its ugly head. The economy will have to change permanently to deal with it.

GeeTee,

Its going to be a blood bath for landlords and homeowners and the party in charge will get shredded during the next 2 elections because of it. Like has been documented in all recessions, depressions and bank crisises only the very rich win out. But we are Americans and somehow someway we will come out ok as a nation. But it sure won’t look the same. The totally unbelievable performance of the stock market has disguised how bad the economy has been the last 5 years for the average guy. It does seem strange how well the hobby industry not just trains has survived and even thrived in these economic times. YMMV.

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back