Running Bear's January 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
truckdad I think a picture of your guitar is in order…..

I had a band in the late 60's after getting out of the Marine Corps.. Being I was a truck driver in USMC we didn't have to do guard duty. We did ambulance duty. So I started learning how to play the guitar while waiting for a 911 call that never came. I don't know how I ever played as well as I did when I had the band. I'm bad now. When Leslie West came in 2nd in a talent show. He said, to his mother, how come I didn't win. She replied because you didn't practice enough, that's why. She answered my question why I'm so bad now.

View attachment 139998
OK George, here's a couple I've kept. That chord you're playing looks like the opening chord in "Purple Haze" or "Spooky"? And dont feel bad, the only thing I do worse than pickin is modeling...........

IMG_1206.jpg

This happened this morning in Stockton, CA.

Today, January 31, 2022, at 11:00 a.m. A press conference was held to share information about the loss of Captain Max Fortuna. Stockton Fire Chief Richard Edwards shared the following statement:
“This morning at approximately 4:45 a.m. the Stockton Fire Department’s Emergency Communications Division received a 911 call for a dumpster fire in the area of Washington and Aurora Streets. Engine 2 arrived on the scene a short time later and found a dumpster fire impinging on a structure. As firefighters were extinguishing the fire, gunshots were heard, and the Fire Captain of Engine 2 had been struck. Firefighters quickly transitioned to providing EMS care and transported him to the hospital.
I’m devastated to report that Veteran Fire Captain Max Fortuna has succumbed to his injuries. Captain Fortuna served the City of Stockton for 21 years and leaves behind a wife and two grown children. I ask you to keep Captain Fortuna’s family and the Stockton Fire Department family in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time."

This has got to stop! Also this morning, in Richmond, CA, a Fire truck responding on an EMS run was struck by gunfire...WTF? The reward for information concerning the Identity of a "Person of Interest" in last weeks fatal fire in Baltimore has been increased to $100,000.

USA style... a heart attack hiding in every plate

I just had that for dinner tonight! Love biscuits and sausage gravy!!!

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

First, a shout-out to everybody who either "clicked the button" or commented on my switcher photos: Willie, Justin, Gary, Chad, SteveJ, Mikey, Patrick, Rick, Louis, Jaz, TomO, George, Smudge, James, Hughie, Joe, Sherrell, Karl, Lee, OB Ken, Tom-C51, Greg, Curt

Ken: I need another locomotive like a hole in the head...but My current GP30 fleet, leaves much to be desired. This is a real temptation, the PRR units 2201 and 2222 even with Train-phone antennas, (which they only had for 4 years of their service life), look great. One summer, I was working at Browns Yard in Old Bridge, NJ, and during a surge in business, we were assigned literally, the very last GP30 and the very last GP35 in service on the Conrail system. Had the GP30 for four straight nights, but shopped it for a air brake leak the fifth night. The following week it was gone...Altoona for disposition...The GP 35 lingered until it was due for a Periodic, then also was sent to Altoona ...

Love those Iron Belt EMD switchers. They have character...

. . .
Joe - interesting story...so you were the last engineer to operate the last active GP30 on Conrail! I remember my days of chasing trains on the B&O throughout Maryland, I was so hell-bent on getting photos of the F-units and GP7/9's that I ignored the still-plentiful GP30's; still kicking myself to this day.

It shouldn't be a problem if you lose power since if the Command/Booster shuts down anyway during a short circuit and there's no damage to the decoders, no different than a household losing electrical power. I would worry more about power surges than loss of power.

Those out there with real life experiences with power outage and decoders correct me if I'm wrong.

Greg
Greg - I wouldn't be too concerned if the power just went off and stayed off. My problem is that many times when we lose our power, it goes off for a few seconds--comes back for a few seconds--off a few seconds--back on for a few more--then off completely. Similar to when a little kid flashes his bedroom light on-and-off with the wall switch. I don't want to find out what happens to a command station when its power is cut off in the middle of the booting-up sequence.

On the subject of surge protection, I have considered investing in a small UPS box; I've heard they're pretty good at protecting from surges and lightning strikes.

...and that's really all I can talk about today, just another Monday of remoting-in for 9 hours, followed by supper and cleanup. I simply felt too much fatigue to go out to the trainroom this evening.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

so you were the last engineer to operate the last active GP30 on Conrail!
Ken: I think I was, although I do not know how the GP30 made its way back to Oak Island and eventually the Altoona Dead Line. I Presume,k dead in tow. Lets just say I was the last engineer to operate the last GP30 in revenue service. I'm pretty confident of that.

Speaking of which, I was skeptical, back when CSX began their GP30 slug program. But they came up with a winner there. And to think, they would remain in service until late 2021 or early 2022 is amazing.

When I was Road Foreman / Trainmaster at Benning, in DC, there were quite a few GP30s working out of Orangeville. The Benning - Popes Creek Local had one, and the Coal trains ran with a mixture of GP30s, GP9B units and a few RS11s in the mix...Then I went to Morrisville, and they were there also. They were quite versatile. Funny thing was Conrail put the GP35s through a RIP (Repair and Improvement) program, but I don't think the 30s had one, they just chugged along until they were gone.

I just talked to my friend I worked on the RR with. He went to the show and said it was terrible. A lot of the big company's didn't show up. He said, the only 2 were Scale Trains and TCS. The weathermen scared everyone off. His best take away from the show was TCS's new product The WOW POW Programmer. It programs any decoder, downloads any sound file from any brand decoder and installs them in any decoder. Is compatible with any brand. It comes out in 2 months, but they had the prototype running at the show.
George

I need to get more organized. I am trying to upgrade (replace) the stock low end Ibanez humbuckers in my daughters guitar with Lace Alumitones I've had for her for like 2 years. I am trying to find my 1000 yards of shrink wrap (don't really know how much but a whole ton I got on ali express for cheap a year or two ago) and of course I cannot find it. So frustrating...

Greg - I wouldn't be too concerned if the power just went off and stayed off. My problem is that many times when we lose our power, it goes off for a few seconds--comes back for a few seconds--off a few seconds--back on for a few more--then off completely. Similar to when a little kid flashes his bedroom light on-and-off with the wall switch. I don't want to find out what happens to a command station when its power is cut off in the middle of the booting-up sequence.
When this happens, I make sure the water pump, furnace, etc are turned off. the electrical spike kills the motors.
George

I was piddling around in the train room this afternoon and decided to see if I could break down the old computer desk enough to move it. I had a hip replaced a few years ago so I do not get up and down like I once did. i prepared by gathering tools and a fluffy throw rug to kneel on.
After 45 minutes, I had 4 sections partially loose, but had to get under the desk when Murphy jumped on me with both feet. the hex wrench was the wrong size and some of the Phillips head screws needed a bigger screw driver. I SLOWLY crawled up to my feet and headed out to the garage.
I quickly found a larger screwdriver and looked in several safe, secure locations for my hex wrench set. Of course, I found it in the last place I looked.
old desk.jpg

It took another 15 minutes to get it apart and stored out of the way. Then two minutes to roll the new desk in place.
As I was trying to organize some things, I found a box of packed 39 HO vehicles, plus my Corvette collection. I unpacked the entire box on the desk, so you can see it did not stay uncluttered for long.
new desk.jpg

As long as we're posting our guitars, here's me with mine! Also, I'm a terrible guitar player. In this pic, I'm attempting to play Gimme Three Steps.
I'm not like Truckdad I can tell what song you're playing buy looking at your finger position on the fret board. I needed you to tell me you were playing Gimme Three Steps. I tried learning Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama. I kind of like the flow of that one. I get so far then a week later forget what I learned on my first try. That's the problem when you get old remembering learned last week.
George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back