Running Bear's February 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good bye January and IMO you won’t be missed. Not the coldest of months when it came to real temperatures. But the consistent below zero and often times -25 and lower wind chills might be the record. We will know tomorrow per the evening TV weather guy.

Well global modelers it is February 2022 and I usually have plans figured for the month. Now Terry and I will be winging it this month as Covid has stopped my surgeries. We have no real plans. The area hospitals do not have beds for non emergency surgeries so mine is pushed into April and May. Today though TV mentioned the Covid cases may have peaked last week in our county. Fingers crossed.

I will check in later today
TomO

Good morning Everybody!

Betting on sports, a good way to ruin what should be a fun time watching sports.

Baltimore sports fans can really get under my skin. The Ravens lost 17 players to season ending injuries. Of the 17, 7 were starters and 3 were Pro bowl players! They somehow finished the season 8-9 having lost 6 close games by one score or less, several on the last play of the game. Five of those games with the Ravens starting undrafted quarterbacks.
Not to mention 4 starting defensive backs that had never played a full season in the NFL, two DBs had never started a game. In a league geared to the passing game!
Why can't people see the truth? Do they like to whine and complain? Keep in mind I'm not talking about politics.

Good morning all! 31 degrees here in SE Illinois and heading for mostly cloudy and 54. Tomorrow things start to go straight downhill with the weather. They're calling for ice, sleet and snow to the tune of up to 10 inches by this time Friday morning. May stay home from work Thursday since that's when we're to get the worst of it and I don't care to make the 25 mile drive to and back from work in that stuff. I'm not normally one to call off work, but that place doesn't pay me enough to risk my life to get there. The ice and sleet should start Wednesday night and then bring snow in along with it, so the roads will be nice and slippery. Hoping the weather guessers got it all wrong and it winds up being sunny and 75 🤣

Had to take down my temporary EZ track layout as we needed the space to store some stuff for a few days. Having some more flooring put in and everything in that area had to come out and my play room was the only place to put it.

That's about it from here. Hope you all have a great day and stay safe out there.

On the bright side. Yesterday was my beautiful, young wife's birthday! 😁 My wife is an amazing lady, there is almost nothing she can't do. I am blessed to spend all day, everyday with her. I have had too many women in my life. My Angel is the first one I never get tired of being with. Like now I can't wait for her to wake up, just to sit with her for a few minutes before we start another busy day together. Everyday feels like Christmas, she is the best present I have ever received, thank God. My only regret is I didn't find her sooner. On the other hand my previous experiences help me to full appreciate her.
Sunday the kids came over and took over the house, putting together a wonderful dinner and birthday party for my wife. My wife is a great mother as well.
I don't have the most money, but I think of myself as the richest man in the world because my gifts are priceless treasures.

Bonus, I get to take my youngest grandson to school today! I can't imagine my life could be any better!

Have a great day Everybody!

Well, howdy there internet people, and those who like to smell wet paint in the coffee shop.

It's Troy again.

this is the week, we should be on the cruise. But, you know, staying home to take care of family. We'll catch a later cruise.

Like all of our past winter cruises, a snowstorm is set to wallop the homestead.

Weather guessers are blaming their computer models for their dire warnings. Here' what is supposed to move in on Wednesday (darn groundhog, it's his fault!). And yes, I'm in the 10-12" band.

snow1.png

Then on Thursday, we get Groundhog's revenge, part two!

snow 2.png

Good thing I've got minis to paint, train stuff to work on... oh, that means I have to shovel a path to the garage where the saws are.

I'll probably be painting miniatures instead. Or just collapse in the Lay-z-boy and eat girl scout cookies. I wonder if I can find one to mug me again before all the snow hits? That's gonna be a lot to shovel, and all I have to do is a path to the garage, a path to the gate so the delivery drivers can bring my stuff up to the porch.

Morning all,

Currently 48° and cloudy with the humidity rising. Supposed to rain later this morning, with temperatures falling and rain turning to sleet and then snow. Winter weather warnings are up for the area. Depending on the forecaster, almost all agree that we should see between 4"-8" of the white stuff, with areas just east getting 6"-10"+. With the predicted 30 mph winds, it won't be a blizzard, but there will be some drifting. Temp supposed to be down to near the single digits overnight and up near 20° tomorrow. So snow it will be. Unfortunately, my home is east of Wichita enough, that the house may see the closer to 10". Our winter average is about 12.5" and the past few years have been lighter than normal, so the full compliment is probably what we'll be seeing...

Trying to decide whether I work from home tomorrow and Thursday, or just take the days off. Got to use 6 days between now and the first of May. I'd rather not use them as a snow day.

BBL Gotta see what's left at the old coffee shop...

Troy, I'm about 150 miles or so SE of Champaign that you see there to the left on your last map. We're supposed to start getting the dreaded white stuff and ice beginning Wednesday night. Not looking forward to it.
You southerners get the ice. We get the lake effect snow. Nothing like sending storms across inland seas to get more moisture to make snow with.

Anyone from a dry area, you're welcome to come visit. BUT, you have to take home a family of snowmen with you. (Some assembly required)

Good Morning All. I finally return from my two day wake/memorial service road trip. Cloudy and 56° on the way up to 68° later today. Forecast for the next few days is little changed from Sunday's long term outlook, except they have upwardly revised the low temperatures. However we are under a severe winter weather watch with a vague starting and ending time frame. High tomorrow of 48° at midnight and gradually dropping all day with rain beginning after the noon hour. Low Wednesday night/Thursday morning of 18°, with snow, ice and freezing rain until mid-afternoon Thursday. Lows around 15° with temperatures remaining below freezing until midday Saturday. Not looking forward to this. Today I will be stockpiling dry wood inside the house to last a few days. Grrrh! Possible 2"-3" of snow/ice/sleet accumulation. Melting won't begin until Monday.

Doctor's appointment tomorrow morning that I should complete before the nasty weather start. Since it's real early, we will make the weekly grocery trek on the way home although we will not be buying TP!

As posted, I spent two days celebrating and memorializing my youngest brother's life The traditional Irish wake Sunday night was well received and I was able to visit with numerous out of state cousins that I hadn't seen for 15-20 years or more. Two young ladies that I hadn't seen since 1976 when they were in their teens. There were more than 400 people at the memorial service yesterday, way more than were expected. My sister-in-law who coaches at the Catholic school there told me that last week, all of the nuns/teachers and coaches participated in a lottery to see which ones would attend and who would mind the remaining classes during the service. Until recently, my brother signed all of their paychecks as the parish financial manager.

Speaking of Jim, he totally surprised all of us siblings with the size of his estate, to be divided equally among the five of us. That is after $150K is split up among the 12 caregivers who fed and supported him in the last 10 months. The estate has a buyer for both his home and car, but no legal proceedings can begin until the City of Dallas releases a death certificate. Duh! Its been almost four weeks and Southwest Medical Center has the body as proof. It was willed to them for medical research.

Since I haven't been home to visit the train shed, I have nothing to report. Instead of heading out there yesterday, I took a nap!
How about a few mini-scenes scattered about the layout from the archives.
05-29-20 010.JPG

03-16-19 003.JPG
IMG_7146.JPG

05-29-20 017.JPG

An incredible number of new posts in last months Coffee Shop since I last read any on Saturday. I can only reply to some, so don't be sad if I miss someone.

Lee - I absolutely love all of the trailers and the flatcar.
Curt - Good luck with the floor model F unit.
Dave - I am not a guitar player, but I am awestruck that you are able to recognize what song that George is playing just by looking at the chord fingering!
Mikey - Oh how I envy you finding a box with 39 HO vehicles in it. That could partially populate a few of my empty parking lots and driveways!

Everyone have a great day, it's good to be back. Stay safe.

Good Morning all,

Wife convinced me to try Orange Theory gym with her yesterday. Not bad as exercise programs go. She signed up for the 3-sessions per week, I signed up for 2-sessions per week. Pretty good workout and my legs are feeling it today.

Probably not much train work today, though thanks to all for the likes on my pictures of the extension. Today I give blood at my local VFW again. They convinced me to try the "Power Red" donation this time. Not entirely sure what that means, but the vampires like me as I am O positive. Well, that's about it today, no funny anecdotes or interesting happenstances,

Blessings to all! Steve J

Good Morning All. I finally return from my two day wake/memorial service road trip. Cloudy and 56° on the way up to 68° later today. Forecast for the next few days is little changed from Sunday's long term outlook, except they have upwardly revised the low temperatures. However we are under a severe winter weather watch with a vague starting and ending time frame. High tomorrow of 48° at midnight and gradually dropping all day with rain beginning after the noon hour. Low Wednesday night/Thursday morning of 18°, with snow, ice and freezing rain until mid-afternoon Thursday. Lows around 15° with temperatures remaining below freezing until midday Saturday. Not looking forward to this. Today I will be stockpiling dry wood inside the house to last a few days. Grrrh! Possible 2"-3" of snow/ice/sleet accumulation. Melting won't begin until Monday.

Doctor's appointment tomorrow morning that I should complete before the nasty weather start. Since it's real early, we will make the weekly grocery trek on the way home although we will not be buying TP!

As posted, I spent two days celebrating and memorializing my youngest brother's life The traditional Irish wake Sunday night was well received and I was able to visit with numerous out of state cousins that I hadn't seen for 15-20 years or more. Two young ladies that I hadn't seen since 1976 when they were in their teens. There were more than 400 people at the memorial service yesterday, way more than were expected. My sister-in-law who coaches at the Catholic school there told me that last week, all of the nuns/teachers and coaches participated in a lottery to see which ones would attend and who would mind the remaining classes during the service. Until recently, my brother signed all of their paychecks as the parish financial manager.

Speaking of Jim, he totally surprised all of us siblings with the size of his estate, to be divided equally among the five of us. That is after $150K is split up among the 12 caregivers who fed and supported him in the last 10 months. The estate has a buyer for both his home and car, but no legal proceedings can begin until the City of Dallas releases a death certificate. Duh! Its been almost four weeks and Southwest Medical Center has the body as proof. It was willed to them for medical research.

Since I haven't been home to visit the train shed, I have nothing to report. Instead of heading out there yesterday, I took a nap!
How about a few mini-scenes scattered about the layout from the archives.
View attachment 140029
View attachment 140030View attachment 140031
View attachment 140032

An incredible number of new posts in last months Coffee Shop since I last read any on Saturday. I can only reply to some, so don't be sad if I miss someone.

Lee - I absolutely love all of the trailers and the flatcar.
Curt - Good luck with the floor model F unit.
Dave - I am not a guitar player, but I am awestruck that you are able to recognize what song that George is playing just by looking at the chord fingering!
Mikey - Oh how I envy you finding a box with 39 HO vehicles in it. That could partially populate a few of my empty parking lots and driveways!

Everyone have a great day, it's good to be back. Stay safe.
Thanks Willie for the complement your pics look great and I’m glad you got some me time in the shed.

Good Morning all. 34 degrees in the Ozark Foothills. The place looks nice I’ll have Grits and Raisin Toast Flo.
Thanks for all the comments and likes yesterday I did manage to get a few pics of the Weaver Reading RS-3 I’m converting into a Dummy unit and some pics of more O27 trailers to be built. I started a thread on them in the O scale section if anyone wants to check it out. Have a great day I’ll check in later.
95154885-B7FB-4478-AD6D-574A979F9722.jpeg
857A4E26-6080-4ADD-AECB-A9FECAA7743B.jpeg
3FC8A30A-6572-46DF-AA8A-8D3BBCEB0AE9.jpeg
E47DEA86-FA2C-4D9E-B6DF-22C2C6902EE0.jpeg
3BF675A3-B129-4D65-9D04-59C8FED69357.jpeg
8BCF06BB-EC2C-4AB5-A429-03DFBCBC3939.jpeg
C969F558-05C5-4D32-A315-BDD14F505CA6.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back