Running Bear's February 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie -- You may have said before, but I cannot recall -- How many structures do you have as a total?

I will presume that "Buffalo Industries" makes Buffalos - or maybe Buffalo burgers?
There is a long time industry in Piscataway, NJ, that is adjacent to the Conrail (former LV) Lehigh Line, but hidden from view by thick woods. It's called "Buffalo Tank", and they make steel storage tanks. Just a thought and possibility.

When I left the house early this morning it was 25f outside and 70f inside. The electric fireplaces did an excellent job overnight! I turned them off before leaving home. When I got back home over eight hours later it was 40f outside. It was 66f in the house, with no heat! This house must be well insulated.

Correction - My wife told me it was 56f in the house when we came home, not 66f. I really need to use my glasses.

I don't have a manual for my furnace, and I could not find one online. Last time I used a volt/ohm meter to figure out the startup sequence and make a diagnostic chart. I wrote everything down. The problem is I can't find my notes! Seems I suffer from CRS.

Last edited:
When I left the house early this morning it was 25f outside and 70f inside. The electric fireplaces did an excellent job overnight! I turned them off before leaving home. When I got back home over eight hours later it was 40f outside. It was 66f in the house, with no heat! This house must be well insulated.

I don't have a manual for my furnace, and I could not find one online. Last time I used a volt/ohm meter to figure out the startup sequence and make a diagnostic chart. I wrote everything down. The problem is I can't find my notes! Seems I suffer from CRS.
I know the feeling. I put things in a safe place but I forget where the safe place is!

You know you have too much money in the checkbook when you go in to make the next house payment and the teller asks if you want to pay the loan off as there's enough in the account to do so....unfortunately, that's all the bills for the next 6 months.
That’s a good problem to have. 6 months safety savings is awesome. Most don’t even have a week.

Willie -- You may have said before, but I cannot recall -- How many structures do you have as a total?

I will presume that "Buffalo Industries" makes Buffalos - or maybe Buffalo burgers?
Sherrel - There's somewhere north of 325 total structures and kits, including 40+ laser-cut wood ones. I always liked kits although I have to admit that there are 3 ready-built, and 4 that someone else built that I got from the consignment table at the LHS.

Good afternoon. Feeling better but not good yet. The cough though has been over medicated with the ok from my GP (General Practitioner) via a video call this morning. I actually got a solid 1 hour of sleep in twice so far today. No more meds though till 11 tonight as that was the trade off. With a shower and 2 decent naps I see the world in a different light…

I looked up Buffalo Industries on the web, and apparently they make industrial cleaning rags and similar stuff. I can live with that, cloth in and finished "red rags" out.
50 years ago, I bought some tools at a Gibson's store that were made by Buffalo Industries. All since replaced with Craftsman.

Evening All,

Spent the morning at my buddy Jon's house BS'ing and talking about the build. I know the plan going forward, now if I only get off my butt and start! :rolleyes:. Jon called me about an hour ago to let me know I left the instructions at his house.😢 I'll probably get them Monday...sigh. I'm a bone head. I may start the floor brake detailing this weekend since it has the standard Tichy parts. In an unbelievable twist today, I was actually able to show Jon and his wife how to scan a QR code on their phones. I must be a tech wizard!:D

Hughie- Nice loco lineup and photos.

TomO- I hope you feel better quickly.

Troy- Definitely the end of an era. A Black Sabbath LP was my first record that I bought for myself.

James- That's a photo you don't see every day.

Jeff- Great customer service.

Louis- Good luck with the furnace.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I had a pleasant interaction with Atlas' customer service the other day.

I have a brand new 2022 version of an N scale Dash 8-40CW with a bum truck. I stripped and cleaned at least 3 times, but could not prevent the gears from locking up randomly.

I couldn't find any spare parts online anywhere, so I called their CS dept in New Jersey. I explained my dilemma. The guy offered to service it under warranty with a 5-6 week turnaround.

I said I'd rather just buy a replacement truck than wait on warranty. He said those locos were so new they hadn't got any spare parts yet, but he might be able to assemble a truck for me with parts salvaged from warranty work, but he would have to look around to see what he had. He took my name and number.

About an hour later, my phone rings, and it's him. He has 2 complete trucks, assembled, that he could sell me. For $7.50 each.

I was impressed by his follow through, and very happy with the price! I will gladly pay $15 to avoid shipping off my loco for a 6 week long repair.

I am now an Atlas customer for life!
I received the replacement trucks today. The one I installed is working perfectly.

Here's a picture of the plug. You can see it's swaged onto the end. The other end of the wire is soldered onto the axle wipers, which makes them more fiddly when reassembling the trucks when you take them apart to clean them really well.

The chassis is underneath my finger. You can see the tiny hole in the chassis by my finger where you insert the plug. It's a tight fit.
PXL_20230202_234437022.jpg

I'm a big fan of Atlas' customer service!!!

But I'm not a fan of the wires.

Correction - My wife told me it was 56f in the house when we came home, not 66f. I really need to use my glasses.

My gas furnace conks out occasionally. I open the cover and clean the flame sensor with a piece of fine sandpaper and it fires right up. Well, it does when I turn its power back on.

Good morning gang!

30° with snow flurries this morning, we’ve already hit our daytime high temperature with temperatures falling throughout the day to a bottom and of 14°.

Flo, wake up, Mel, I’m going to need some sausage biscuits and gravy to face the day!

In hobby news, I did get the PC that does all the programming and other DCC functions put back together last night. Now, even though I can’t run trains, I can program them and run them back-and-forth on the test track.
And another unrelated hobby news item, the Absurdistan National race team (me) qualified 2 cars last night in the 3D Botmaker Diecast Racing Leagues King of the Mountain tournament. Racing begins next month on YouTube.

BBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back