Running Bear's February 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. Wisconsin is cold.
744BA435-23A3-4D88-93C2-ACB82E6915F6.png

Morning,

16° clear going for a high of 44° later. Hopefully much quieter...

I was given yesterday afternoon off only to be called back in to resolve an issue...so much for no overtime this week. That's ok, I did manage to get the income taxes done yesterday. Pretty easy when you only have W2's and a 1099. Wife was concerned about no taxes coming out of that Daycare worker bonus the state paid, but we're still getting a larger refund this year than last. Her severance being paid in a lump pulled extra taxes out.

BBL

Good Morning All. Clear and 30° on the SFW estate. Mid-60's by Sunday and Monday, and then hovering around 60° at least until Super Bowl Sunday. Our paved road out front cleared off yesterday, but the gravel road on the south side was still icy and slushy. That probably froze overnight.
Went out a little while ago with the binoculars and observed the green comet. Here it is visible before dawn because of the nearly full moon that needs to set first. It's visible near the North Star, and it's best viewed with binoculars or a telescope, although this morning it was barely visible with the naked eye. I couldn't spot it yesterday because of the clouds - it will be visible for another 10 days or so. It's supposedly 26 million miles away and hasn't approached the earth in 50,000 years. How the hell do they know that???
The postponed grocery trek is this morning, hopefully they have time to restock. Then my wife takes the car to Dallas until Wednesday to take care of our granddaughter while her parents head for Las Vegas for a few days. This afternoon I may clear out embers/ashes from the heater, or maybe wait until tomorrow if it isn't too full.
Yesterday, I planted Tomato and Spinach seeds in planter boxes indoors. Today I will do some lettuce seed. Actually, if the garden soil is workable enough, I might plant a partial row of spinach and lettuce out there as well. They can be successful even this early. One of my philosophy's is that if you don't lose something at each end of the season, then you aren't maximizing your time and space. Seed is cheap. Once transplanted outdoors, the plants that are started inside will out-perform the ones direct seeded in the garden, and be ready for picking earlier. Most seeds will sit dormant in the soil until the moisture and temperature are right for germinating, in this case maybe two weeks instead of three days like the ones inside the heated house. I just don't have the space to do more inside and I dismantled my greenhouse about 10 years ago.

Thanks for the reactions regarding the final phase of the quarterly layout cleanup.

Yesterday was strictly train time out in the train shed. That and some assorted cleanup and put things up time. I won't remember where I put most of those things next time that I need them. No pictures of any of that. I do have some pictures that I took about ten days ago at the Texas Northern Model Railroad Club layout after I attended the show on the 21st. Here' a few.
IMG_2778.JPG

IMG_2779.JPG

IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG
IMG_2803.JPG

IMG_2804.JPG

IMG_2805.JPG

IMG_2827.JPG
IMG_2822.JPG

By the way, if you live in this area, ScaleTrains will be there on Saturday March 4. Time will be announced

Louis - Good luck with the furnace if you haven't already fixed it. Always remember that as we age, it is sometimes better to let the moths out of our wallets and call in the experts. Better than the frustration.
Tom O -
That’s a good problem to have. 6 months safety savings is awesome. Most don’t even have a week.
Sadly, I know some folks who make better than six figures a year who don't have a week's worth of savings. But they have a new $65K pick up every two years, a gym membership, and an overpriced home in an upscale neighborhood that's too big for them to maintain without paying a maid.
Curt - You might check on hoseeker.net to see if they have instructions for your freight car there.

Today is The Day the Music Died, the 64th anniversary of the plane crash that took the lives of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper. Trivia: Waylon Jennings gave up his seat on the plane to The Big Bopper who had the flu.
Everybody have a great day.

Attachments

• IMG_2804.JPG
    IMG_2804.JPG
    414.9 KB · Views: 33
I forgot to latch our back door last night. It blew open in the middle of the night. The main living area of our house was 54 degrees F this morning. :oops:

Fortunately, it was door leading to a screened-in porch, so no wildlife found its way inside.

Our furnace got to stretch its legs...

Morning! I almost hate to post this after seeing the "frozen north", but we are at our low of 43f and looking for 69 later under partly cloudy!
I no longer like anything under 60 - sorry!
Sherrel post away. I also look daily at what the son has in Austin, Texas, my sister in Pasadena and my brother’s places in Arizona and Hawaii. I can say with almost 100% certainty that in January and February those places are warmer then So. Central Wisconsin.

I will hear from all three of them today teasing about our temperatures.

Hope you are staying warm and feeling better from yur "cold"?
On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being great, today I am a 4. But so much better than the last 2 days where 2-3 are the way I felt.

I did get 2 bouts of 2hours of uninterrupted sleep in last night. Still to unfocused, miserable and unsteady to sit at the weathering bench. I promised 2 to be finished last Tuesday but that’s still not happening. I would l like to get out for some fresh air but the wind chill is -19f degrees so, inside I will stay.

Terry is at the store buying some recommended Gatorade G2 as the pedialyte drink for kids has a terrible thickness to it, almost like syrup but not quite. But, I will be fine in a few, can’t rush…

Last edited:
On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being great, today I am a 4. But so much better than the last 2 days where 2-3 are the way I felt.

I did get 2 bouts of 2hours of uninterrupted sleep in last night. Still to unfocused, miserable and unsteady to sit at the weathering bench. I promised 2 to be finished last Tuesday but that’s not happening. I would l like to get out for some fresh air but the wind chill is -19f degrees so, inside I will stay.

Terry is at the store buying some recommended Gatorade G2 as the pedialyte drink for kids has a terrible thickness to it, almost like syrup but not quite. But, I will be fine in a few, can’t rush…
Ya, Pedialyte kinda sux - but: It works better than GA - just put some Whisky in it to thin it out ;)

Later

Last edited:
Good Morning All!
25F @ 82% with a tiny bit of new white.

Your not gonna believe it! Finally got the new lights up and working. You can read my trials and tribulations by clicking on 'Coastal Overland' in my signature to the left of this. First pix that comes up is the new light stuff.

Now I have to dust off the shop equipment and move some stuff around so I can start with the bench work. Wife has HoneyDu stuff so I suspect that it will be slow going for a bit.

Also, any constructive criticism about the site is wanted!

Later

It's a tad chilly out about now.

It's 4° F with a wind chill of -19° F but it says real feel of -15° F......and it is still dropping ......going down to -19° F

Wind is blowing 16 mph with a gust now an then up to 28 mph

The upper Hudson River by me has ice flows and the Champlain canal is frozen over also.

As soon as I get home I am gonna stoke a fire! The furnace is running up stairs. Fireplace is downstairs so that will help. I do have 2 Zones but the downstairs setting Zone 2 is at 55° F and the upstairs is set at 59° F. When I get the fire going it will be up to 70° F from tonight until Sunday. I am not going anywhere this weekend. I will cooking up some vittles.

I have a box waiting for me when I get home. I scored the 2nd 3 Bay hopper with the Cotton Belt Blue logo for 12 bucks by Atlas! One more to find and then I do not think I can find the 1st release of 2 of those hoppers back in 2008 but I will keep looking.

Tom O I am glad to hear there is some improvement on feeling better! Keep the hydration going!

Willie
Nice head start on the gardening! I can't wait to plant some veggies myself. Mostly peppers for me and I may be doing red taters too.

Troy Hilarious! 🤣

Sherrel post away, don't feel bad I am used to this frigid weather. I used to live in some cold cold places. Here in the Adirondacks is no exception. I lived in London, Ontario for a time as well. Also in Wisconsin not far from where TomO is too. I used to spend a lot of time in the Colorado Rockies as well.

Well I have a doctor appt to go to this afternoon. It's a follow-up/check-up for my kidneys as I had that massive kidney stone 2 years ago 17mm. Just gonna check out all the plumbing I guess lol. Next month will be my yearly diagnostic for this o'l man. See if I can make it another year.

Ya'll have a good one. Stay safe and warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back