Running Bear's February 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrιstιaη

In France, it's already February 1st. So this is the new place to be. Tell everyone !

999996.jpg

Hello all,

Email is back up but running slowly. Not sure yet where the trouble is, but another thing on the list. Slowly recovering...

Currently 16° going for a high above freezing for the first time since Saturday. Now they're saying 60° for the weekend.

Train show for the weekend, but the wife has other plans for me since I haven't been home the past 3 weekends...darn it!

Good morning from warming So. Central Wisconsin 4f/-15c degrees now heading to 24f/ -4.4c.

Medical appointment at 9:50 for the vampires to draw out some blood. I have a full blown cold and my head is pounding. It’s been coming on since the weekend and yesterday morning I thought I was passed it. Around noon I realized how bad I really felt. It has really zapped my energy the last few days but yesterday was the worst. I look like Rudolf the Red nosed reindeer.

enjoy the day

Well, howdy there internet peeps, and those who know the year is 1/12th over

Sending best wishes to Tom O that he's only got a cold and not the coof again.

Tonight, we'll be having pot roast, taters, and carrots from the crock pot.

Following that, I'll enjoy some corn and wheat. This will be my first (knowing) experience with a wheater bourbon.
327890206_1241355856795840_5176426354700907783_n.jpg

I'm slowly getting my understanding of the beverage up to snuff. I've learned that I enjoy a sipping pour most evenings. This summer I'll probably switch back to red wine in the evenings. But, in the depth of Jack Frost's wintery nether regions, a warm, caramel-smokey flavour sounds great.

(Slams the door open). Thought YOU could get away from me by moving - again!
FLO - CFS with eggs up and grits & gravy with a couple of biscuits! A coke would top it all off - thank you!

Brother - it's cold out, for here anyway at 35 degrees and only looking for 60f later ... at least it will be a clear, sunny sky? I'm tired of winter already; being on these blood thinners meds has lowered my tolerance for cooler temps. Sorry to complain to you folks with your MUCH colder temps, but I am like KARL - I an't going out till the Temp is higher than my age - LOL - and TERRY - It does get there around here - double LOL!

JOE - best wishes for the pre-opt and that's a nice photo - too bad it does not have the "lightning" stripe - that was my favorite.

TomO - sorry that you are suffering from a nasty cold .. sometimes those are the worst! Take care and get well!

back to lurking!

Good morning from warming So. Central Wisconsin 4f/-15c degrees now heading to 24f/ -4.4c.

Medical appointment at 9:50 for the vampires to draw out some blood. I have a full blown cold and my head is pounding. It’s been coming on since the weekend and yesterday morning I thought I was passed it. Around noon I realized how bad I really felt. It has really zapped my energy the last few days but yesterday was the worst. I look like Rudolf the Red nosed reindeer.

enjoy the day

TomO

Stay hydrated! Feel better and get some warm soup going! Rest! Keep us posted! Pace yourself!

Good Morning All. Cloudy skies and 25°, waiting on that elusive wintry mix, that never hit here yesterday. It blasted the Dallas / Ft Worth metro area big time yesterday and got as close as 30 miles from me. Right now it's snowing in the northern part of my county, 20 miles away, but the sleet/ice is split, with a large area to both the east and west. Right now it's also missing the DFW area. This is me in the circle.
Inked1130z.gif

Maybe we'll get lucky again today, maybe not. Everything here including the road out front is covered with a thin sheet of ice that is the result of Monday's "thundersleet" storm. Still not expected to get above freezing until around noonish Thursday, so the road here will still be iced over. I may however venture the mile and a quarter down to the mailbox and back this morning, to get the mail. Vehicles don't appear to be having any issues on either of the roads bordering my property, but they are going real slow.
I don't really mind being iced in and we are always fully prepared for it. The wood supply for heating is adequate and dry under the top layer. The propane tank (for cooking) is 70% full which actually will last until 2024 at normal usage rates. Electrical power is a concern, but we never have lost power for more than 4-5 hours in the 42 years that we have been here. Probably just jinxed that! The thing that bothers me the most is that this is the fourth day in a row of no sunshine, and it won't improve until Friday. Well, I don't like it below 40° either!:(
The local ABC TV affiliate actually pre-empted "The View" yesterday for weather. My wife was laughing.
I did venture out for a few things yesterday, besides bringing in wood. Minor stuff like taking rubbish to the dumpster, depositing the vegetable trimmings into the compost and burning the burn trash. Made two trips to the train shed for some extended stays out there.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I just continued with the structure cleaning along the north wall. Jessica's Salon and Ken's Hobbies were next in line, both are Smalltown USA kits.
IMG_2901.JPG

Derry's Pub is next, it's a Walther's kit called Village Pizza that no longer is.
IMG_7682 (2).JPG

Next to that is another Smalltown USA structure on the corner representing a furniture store.
IMG_2903.JPG

Over on the Ethanol refinery side of the layout, I made an extra-long grain unloading shed from more Pikestuff wall components where four grain hoppers can be unloaded at once.
IMG_2905.JPG

IMG_2906.JPG

I'll be connecting the unloading shed with the grain silos once the final plan is agreed on.
IMG_2910.JPG

At the other end of the complex, I just added downspouts to the part of the building I completed the other day.
IMG_2907.JPG

I need to finalize the fit and layout on this end before I start with the rest of the ground cover. Note the cooling tower to the left, courtesy Tom O, who also provided the second-hand fermentation tanks that I upgraded.

Nothing to comment on this morning, so here is a plug for my home state. Today is National Texas Day.
Everybody have a great day and stay warm.

Well it was a tad bit cold this morning! 5° F and tonight it will get colder. Furnace is running. I am in the office today. I will work from home on Friday though as it will get to -19°F and I am not looking forward to that. I will be burning wood all day and night for that! Saturday will be a high of 1° F so I will be hunkering down.

Not much else is new. I did work in the train room last night for about 2 hours organizing and cleaning. I am now feeling a little spark to do some work in there. I will attempt to do some more house keeping tonight in there.

I will make a grocery run tonight on the way home tonight from work. Stock up for the frigid weekend. I thinking of something for the "Crock Pot" for the weekend...maybe some corn beef, taters, onion, carrots with Guinness mmmmmm.....

Tonight I will make something in the oven to heat up the kitchen lol.

Later ya'll!

Good Morning All. Cloudy skies and 25°, waiting on that elusive wintry mix, that never hit here yesterday. It blasted the Dallas / Ft Worth metro area big time yesterday and got as close as 30 miles from me. Right now it's snowing in the northern part of my county, 20 miles away, but the sleet/ice is split, with a large area to both the east and west. Right now it's also missing the DFW area. This is me in the circle.
View attachment 161184
Maybe we'll get lucky again today, maybe not. Everything here including the road out front is covered with a thin sheet of ice that is the result of Monday's "thundersleet" storm. Still not expected to get above freezing until around noonish Thursday, so the road here will still be iced over. I may however venture the mile and a quarter down to the mailbox and back this morning, to get the mail. Vehicles don't appear to be having any issues on either of the roads bordering my property, but they are going real slow.
I don't really mind being iced in and we are always fully prepared for it. The wood supply for heating is adequate and dry under the top layer. The propane tank (for cooking) is 70% full which actually will last until 2024 at normal usage rates. Electrical power is a concern, but we never have lost power for more than 4-5 hours in the 42 years that we have been here. Probably just jinxed that! The thing that bothers me the most is that this is the fourth day in a row of no sunshine, and it won't improve until Friday. Well, I don't like it below 40° either!:(
The local ABC TV affiliate actually pre-empted "The View" yesterday for weather. My wife was laughing.
I did venture out for a few things yesterday, besides bringing in wood. Minor stuff like taking rubbish to the dumpster, depositing the vegetable trimmings into the compost and burning the burn trash. Made two trips to the train shed for some extended stays out there.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I just continued with the structure cleaning along the north wall. Jessica's Salon and Ken's Hobbies were next in line, both are Smalltown USA kits.
View attachment 161186
Derry's Pub is next, it's a Walther's kit called Village Pizza that no longer is.
View attachment 161187
Next to that is another Smalltown USA structure on the corner representing a furniture store.
View attachment 161188
Over on the Ethanol refinery side of the layout, I made an extra-long grain unloading shed from more Pikestuff wall components where four grain hoppers can be unloaded at once.
View attachment 161189
View attachment 161190
I'll be connecting the unloading shed with the grain silos once the final plan is agreed on.
View attachment 161191
At the other end of the complex, I just added downspouts to the part of the building I completed the other day.
View attachment 161192
I need to finalize the fit and layout on this end before I start with the rest of the ground cover. Note the cooling tower to the left, courtesy Tom O, who also provided the second-hand fermentation tanks that I upgraded.

Nothing to comment on this morning, so here is a plug for my home state. Today is National Texas Day.
Everybody have a great day and stay warm.

Willie

Stay safe and hunker down by the fire! Wow! My buddy called me last night from Haslet TX. He said his son went out to work did a 360 on the highway and got of the 1st exit and headed back home lol.

The refinery is looking awesome! Very nice work. I am liking what you're doing there!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back