Running Bear's February 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uff Da - - - looking at that picture - - - what a mess my tabletop is! Anybody else experience this during construction? I gotta improve my housekeeping skills. Perhaps after my next whisky.

G'night all - - - Blessings abound for you - - - - Steve J
You think that’s bad!
BEA76A01-4E9D-4D6D-9039-78A4DC93E83F.jpeg
9BEB2634-A253-490B-9CE3-919A97BC4045.jpeg

Good evening, my first visit to the coffee shop.

After surviving the 25th storm this year, last Friday was really bad with average winds of 100m/ph with gust of over 160 m/ph in the highlands just an hour from our place. All roads closed and 2 inch ice on the roads, luckily my truck has studded tyres.
I set up my two modules last week and today did a test run of my Southern Pacific rolling stock.
As expected all the Kato's ran flawlessly as did most of the newer Athearn.
My biggest surprise, as most engines were stored for about 10 years, were the pre Walthers Proto 2000 SD9's.
I tested them like two years ago and they ran like crap. However after cleaning the wheels and track they all ran like new! Even an unfinished new in the box unit ran ok.
That said...I'll probably never run a six unit set of SD9 with the mandatory string of box cars here...but I love these engines!
I even never changed the gears (notoriously cracked ones on the old P2000 units) and all 4 of them (one dummy) ran in sync.
Now I only have 6 ft of mainline to run for now, starting to think about a lay out plan and perhaps adding one more 3ft module to at least switch some cars here and there.

Eigið góða nótt allir!

Rene

Attachments

• IMG_7134-edited_1.JPG
    IMG_7134-edited_1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 94
New Loft, found this one 11’6 by 43’10 every inch has some kit, often the gang way is piled up, and the other loft holds more, madness really,
the other old loft goes right and goes beyond the second wood tie,you duck,this is the tidiest it has ever been whilst being boarded and is full of more boxes,we did add 2 more velux for additional natural light,you. And you can stand upright along the centre and a bit off to each side, the plan is to extend the railway in here,although where we will put all the boxes that now reside here baffles me lol.still they make for extra insulation.this loft is um 4+11+13+5,+14=47long approx, plus min 20 wide, upto 14+3+9=26, the other rooms have flat roofs no loft.
‘Love Willies but totally envious of the gym. Head height stage the whole works. Our roof angles make things tight in places.

Attachments

• 16679087-D99F-45CF-93E5-D661F4F6DD35.jpeg
    16679087-D99F-45CF-93E5-D661F4F6DD35.jpeg
    553.3 KB · Views: 88
  • B0297DBF-7C6F-4D6C-BB56-28C98CA89E39.jpeg
    B0297DBF-7C6F-4D6C-BB56-28C98CA89E39.jpeg
    440 KB · Views: 92
  • E31EAEE7-D747-44C8-8691-2E461D3679D9.jpeg
    E31EAEE7-D747-44C8-8691-2E461D3679D9.jpeg
    326.4 KB · Views: 86

After surviving the 25th storm this year, last Friday was really bad with average winds of 100m/ph with gust of over 160 m/ph in the highlands just an hour from our place. All roads closed and 2 inch ice on the roads, luckily my truck has studded tyres.
I set up my two modules last week and today did a test run of my Southern Pacific rolling stock.
My biggest surprise, as most engines were stored for about 10 years, were the pre Walthers Proto 2000 SD9's.
I tested them like two years ago and they ran like crap. However after cleaning the wheels and track they all ran like new! Even an unfinished new in the box unit ran ok.
That said...I'll probably never run a six unit set of SD9 with the mandatory string of box cars here...but I love these engines!
I even never changed the gears (notoriously cracked ones on the old P2000 units) and all 4 of them (one dummy) ran in sync.
Now I only have 6 ft of mainline to run for now, starting to think about a lay out plan and perhaps adding one more 3ft module to at least switch some cars here and there.

Eigið góða nótt allir!

Rene
Very evocative, love the atmosphere

Eigið góða nótt allir!
Welcome Rene. That is a beautiful module you have there. Curious, how SP wound up in Iceland? And a good night to you as well.
Jaz - How in the world do you find anything? (I guess Willie's rule 13 comes in handy)

Spent the afternoon assembling 36 windows. Learned to be ambidextrous with tweezers in both hands. No progress photo.

STAY SAFE

LATER

While reviewing posts here and in other threads during the past week of cold weather, I was prompted to dig out my list of 20 Rules of Model Railroading. I got this somewhere over 20 years ago and I have a copy posted on a bulletin board out in the train shed. The ones in red are the ones that I consider the most important rules.

Model Railroad Rules to Live By

1. The object of this hobby is to have fun.
2. Buy some freight and passenger cars to go with your gross of engines.
3. Never ever tell a fellow modeler your scale is better then his.
4. At some point stop planning and start building the layout.
5. Never put perfection in front of running the trains.
6. Pay close attention to the track work it can kill the fun.
7. Meet and bring your favorite engine, and have your friends bring their favorite engines.
8. Have a plan, and an era, so you don't buy a lot of stuff you don't need.
9. Listen to the critics, and weigh their suggestions, and then do what you think is best.
10. Never argue with a rivet counter, you will lose.
11. Good running engines and dependable rolling stock are required to really have fun.
12. You don't have to agree, with your fellow modelers, to be friends
13. Have a spare of all tools, for when you lose the first one.
14. Keep the lubrication supplies handy and use them sometimes.
15. Clean the tracks before the trains stop running.
16. Know your economic, time, and space resources and plan accordingly.
17. In this hobby "do over’s" are a fact of life.
18. If you are a perfectionist, lighten up and cut the other people some slack.
19. If you are not a perfectionist, lighten up and cut them some slack.
20. Never ever forget rule one.

Feel free to copy and reprint this for your use.
RULE 21 Be prepared to have less money after getting involved with model trains.
George

Oh my - - I am in love! I saw a video with a guy using a set of these wire strippers. Ordered this set within 1/2 hour of seeing the vid. Wow - game changer!! These things are great! ! !

Spent the afternoon preparing the two electromagnet uncouplers that will go on the east side of the main loop. This time I thought to solder on the wires BEFORE installing the uncouplers. The two up in the yard I did not do that and had to solder those puppies under the table. Live and learn! So much easier at the work bench!!

Took the weights off and the track runs nice. Even without feeder wires, the turnouts are giving them enough juice to run a loco round that curve. It is now 1630 and I am getting tired. Don't think I will try to install the uncouplers. Though all that is left is to jigsaw the cut-outs for them and they're done. Once the uncouplers are in, then it is time to run the straight and I will have an entire loop upon which to run trains whilst constructing the rest of the layout!

Wife-unit is going out of town to Denver for a work-thing leaving Wed. afternoon and returning late Friday night. So I will have Thursday for sure and much of Fri night as well for train work. I'll work on the layout and hopefully that will keep me out of the Scotch bottle. Wednesday, of course being Ash Wednesday, I won't get home until close to 2100 so not much will get done then. Would be nice to have the loop running so I can run trains! Set a goal, right!

Stay warm and safe all,

Steve J

PS: Jaz A - - - you win.

Last edited:
The fact your N with so much, and you have more !!!!! :eek: 😂

This is most of the rest.

The first two show all the book case type containers and the foam container in a box type containers and on the top shelf some small plastic containers (factory) that GreenMax uses. Most are Japanese Shinkansen, EMU, DMU type trains or special sets with locomotives or locomotives and special train cars that ran together. As mentioned in my posting last night, my ICE 4 German HST, and my Swiss Rhätische Bahn stuff are also included here on the top shelf left (along with some special "resort" trains from Japan).

The second one shows two double sets on the shelf below where the various station platyforms etc are and didn't make the top pic. Those are two special livery versions of the Yamanote Line, a famous Tokyo commuter train on the loop. The special liveries were run on the prototypes for a while and are the Sumikko Gurashi and Rilakuma cartoon characters, Technically the Sumikko Gurashi train belongs to my daughter, as does the Hello Kitty Shinkansen in the main bookcase pic (the pink one). One of two of the book case trains also belong to my son...

The third pic are Japanese locomotives (as opposed to Shinkansen, EMU, DMU) plus in the middle right (thinner cases) some older Era (50s-80s) Japanese freight cars.

The fourth pic are my Japanese container flat cars (some with specialized container loads). Also are a few more Euro locomotives without cases I forgot to gather last night.

The last is a bin full of plastic containers from Japan for my container flat cars. I like the Japanese containers so have searched out and gotten at least one of all the ones I found on a few online stores (there are a lot of ones I don't have -- especially the more expensive brands :) ). There appears to be a building box and some other thing that have fallen into the container.

When I first got started with model railroads I kind of got carried away. The last couple years have been lean pickings. Last year I got one train (one that we had ridden on our last trip to Japan) and have special dispensation from the wife for a few things... Most of these will be run on the new layout once we move. So most have only a little run time (some have had a lot of run time). My little oval in the basement doesn't have a lot of space to run things.

I am interested in model railways not as a modeler, but for the emotions and memories (and future travels) that they represent...

IMG_5430.jpegIMG_5431.jpegIMG_5432.jpegIMG_5433.jpegIMG_5434.jpeg

Funny you would mention that. For the first time all my trains are at the same address (other than the few I've shown on the RPO in the last two months). I knew I had bought too much long before then but, now really comes home as it is just piles and piles of boxes. Had already filled one locker room with the G-Gauge and modular units, stage left is floor to ceiling with other boxes, and of course the expensive ones in the safe. Now I have a row of them piled along the stage (circled in yellow), and there are still others mixed in with all the other boxes that got moved in. Yipes.
View attachment 141638
Thank you Iron Horsemen, I don't feel so bad now, I see I'm not alone and you have more than me! 😁

Oh my - - I am in love! I saw a video with a guy using a set of these wire strippers. Ordered this set within 1/2 hour of seeing the vid. Wow - game changer!! These things are great! ! !

Spent the afternoon preparing the two electromagnet uncouplers that will go on the east side of the main loop. This time I thought to solder on the wires BEFORE installing the uncouplers. The two up in the yard I did not do that and had to solder those puppies under the table. Live and learn! So much easier at the work bench!!

Took the weights off and the track runs nice. Even without feeder wires, the turnouts are giving them enough juice to run a loco round that curve. It is now 1630 and I am getting tired. Don't think I will try to install the uncouplers. Though all that is left is to jigsaw the cut-outs for them and they're done. Once the uncouplers are in, then it is time to run the straight and I will have an entire loop upon which to run trains whilst constructing the rest of the layout!

Wife-unit is going out of town to Denver for a work-thing leaving Wed. afternoon and returning late Friday night. So I will have Thursday for sure and much of Fri night as well for train work. I'll work on the layout and hopefully that will keep me out of the Scotch bottle. Wednesday, of course being Ash Wednesday, I won't get home until close to 2100 so not much will get done then. Would be nice to have the loop running so I can run trains! Set a goal, right!

Stay warm and safe all,

Steve J

PS: Jaz A - - - you win.
I've got one of those wire strippers, brilliant piece of kit, definately of my better purchases.

Pressed on and the Loop Is Done!! !! !! Feeling woo-hoo celebratory!
20220227_172633.jpg

20220227_172644.jpg

Tomorrow when the caulk is dry, I'll be able to run trains in a loop - - - - exactly what most experienced model railroaders say don't do! But do I listen??

I will drop feeders and maybe solder a few joiners and start the inside loops

But I'm feeling quite chuff. "Flo, Chocolate cream pie all round for my friends!!"

I've just seen Willie's comment, so scratch my other comment, You own this Gymnasium ???
Yes, really long story. Short of it is, my late wife always wanted to live in an old school house, so the deal was I would get the gym or auditorium for the train layout. We looked across the whole country for years. Ended up with this one. That was 13 years ago. Have not made near the progress converting it as hoped. Married again and it became the "warehouse" everything is getting moved to from all the other houses while we try to decide what to do. Mountain property is sold. Denver house is sold. One more to go then the "move in" to the new house.

Welcome Rene. That is a beautiful module you have there. Curious, how SP wound up in Iceland?
Thanks! I modelled SP when I lived in the Netherlands, quite a big US railroad scene there and in Germany. Was a member of Fremo and later we had a big barn with a dozen guys with a permanent display of 50 to 60 modules. I left most of my modules in the Netherlands and took only these two for space reasons. I railfanned a lot in Canada and a bit in the US, after 2002. Only SP engines I saw in real life where two SD45's in CN shops Montreal. So I can never feel the excitement of seeing a quartet od SP SD9's with a long boxcar drag lineside...

Eigið góða nótt allir!

Rene

Yikes, thats some storm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back