Running Bear's February 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny you would mention that. For the first time all my trains are at the same address (other than the few I've shown on the RPO in the last two months). I knew I had bought too much long before then but, now really comes home as it is just piles and piles of boxes. Had already filled one locker room with the G-Gauge and modular units, stage left is floor to ceiling with other boxes, and of course the expensive ones in the safe. Now I have a row of them piled along the stage (circled in yellow), and there are still others mixed in with all the other boxes that got moved in. Yipes.
View attachment 141638
I've just seen Willie's comment, so scratch my other comment, You own this Gymnasium ???

In keeping with my recent "before & after" photos, I now give you before and after of the train shed. I didn't take a picture of bare yard, but here is the earliest shot that I have.
Did you do all that construction yourself?

Iron Horseman - I remember somewhere in the past that you posted that your train room was the size of a gymnasium, I didn't realize that it actually was one!
Was actually a lot cheaper to purchase an existing one rather than building a new structure.

You be the judge...

Of course, just out of camera range, is a2'x4' panel on sawhorses, loaded with tools and construction material. Not sure at this point whether I have enough code 70 flex to finish off the modules. Stuff's kind of scarce right now, although I do have some code 83, I could use. No room for the large townhouses on these modules, just no place to put them at this time.

Are you using ME? I was at my LHS yesterday and saw he had a fair bit of ME Code 83 weathered flex, so perhaps production is ramping up again. I am in the opposite seat - I am not sure I have 83 to finish. I will probably use myC70 for some spurs.

Your tabletop looks great! Well done.

Hello again!

Quite often, I've mentioned that I take a-lot of photos for historical purposes, rather than trying to make photographic art.
As it happens, I've taken a few photos of this old store located in Blue Ridge, a hamlet 20 minutes from my house:
BluRdgStore_10-28-2020 (1).jpg

I'm glad I have those photos, because the old store has gone up in smoke. It's gone, after about a century of operation. That store has seen steam engines loading passengers at the depot that used to be beside it. The only way to know that today, is if there are photos.
It burned down this weekend, with the owners who were living in it, just making it out with their lives and not much else.

Photos are important!
Have a good one!

Wow, a beautiful truck but so sad that many are living in places like this. I know we have had a 25% increase in our population in Halifax over the last 5 years and housing and infrastructure have struggled to keep up. Both sons are working and neither has been able to find an apartment except the ones with their buddies.
The son moved to Austin, Texas 11 or 12 years ago before the real estate market there went nuts. He had to buy a house about 7-8 years ago because he was getting priced out of apartments.

My brother in just north of Scottsdale, Arizona in a golf community called Desert Mountain. Prices in that market for real estate have gone crazy again.

The trend is if you can move, move south where it’s warmer. But, you will have to pay the price.

TomO

So my plan today was to pull out the point motor and replace it with a Peco motor that I have, that did happen, I found out the blades were not moving across as they should, released the arm, and they work fine, so Hornby point motor failure, ok no problem. fitted the new motor, switches across fine.

Decided I would run a few different loco's across it to make sure, most managed it fine, the GP18's, 35',38's had a few track issues that had to be sorted, then decided to run the big guy's SD 60's and 70's, I've always had problems running the big guy's I always thought that the curve was too tight into the turnout, so ran them on both my inner track's which are much tighter, (the inner track is a 2nd radius), still had a few derailment's, but that was down to my bad track laying, sorted them out and they ran fine on the 2nd radius curve.

Ran them on the outer rail, get to the turnout, derailment 7 times from 10. (strangely only going clockwise) It seems that when the front truck enters the frog it's hitting the plastic crossover and gets sent off the rail, I've looked in my track spares and I have a few spare ones, but they are all around the same vintage, so ordered a new one, when that arrives, I'll fit it and I think I may need to re lay that outer track too. It's causing way too many issue's with the HO, that I don't get with the OO scale.

What I'm annoyed about is the smaller loco's don't seem to have an issue with the turnout, just the big guy's, I could simply not run them I know, but no point having them if their going to sit in a box and never see the light of day, I'm not a collector.

Last edited:
So my plan today was to pull out the point motor and replace it with a Peco motor that I have, that didn't happen, I found out the blades were not moving across as they should, released the arm, and they work fine, so Hornby point motor failure, ok no problem. fitted the new motor, switches across fine.

Decided I would run a few different loco's across it to make sure, most managed it fine, the GP18's, 35',38's had a few track issues that had to be sorted, then decided to run the big guy's SD 60's and 70's, I've always had problems running the big guy's I always thought that the curve was too tight into the turnout, so ran them on both my inner track's which are much tighter, (the inner track is a 2nd radius), still had a few derailment's, but that was down to my bad track laying, sorted them out and they ran fine on the 2nd radius curve.

Ran them on the outer rail, get to the turnout, derailment 7 times from 10. (strangely only going clockwise) It seems that when the front truck enters the frog it's hitting the plastic crossover and gets sent off the rail, I've looked in my track spares and I have a few spare ones, but they are all around the same vintage, so ordered a new one, when that arrives, I'll fit it and I think I may need to re lay that outer track too. It's causing way too many issue's with the HO, that I don't get with the OO scale.

What I'm annoyed about is the smaller loco's don't seem to have an issue with the turnout, just the big guy's, I could simply not run them I know, but no point having them if their going to sit in a box and never see the light of day, I'm not a collector.
Try putting a shim on the inside of the guard rail opposite the frog. That will help keep the flanges on the wheels traversing the frog from picking it. Evergreen styrene would work nicely, if you have the proper thickness.

Afternoon All,

Started with a couple of chores then headed to the train room. I disconnected the DCS-100 and connected the Zephr+. and ran a train and sure enough connectivity was again lost. So, I disconnected it and re-hooked up the DCS-100. After lunch I ballasted about 10 feet of track on the peninsula. We're going out to supper with daughter and grandsons (SIL in JAX for work) then have to go to the airport to pick up Dad that's returning from OH.

Sherrel- Thanks, I think I need it.

TomO- Nice job on the box car. I like how you graffitied your username on it.

Gary- The guns look great. I can sympathize with the housing costs there. It's cheaper monthly here to make a house payment than rent.

Guy- You're making good progress. That's a shame about the store. Animals always seem to try to escape.

Chad- Looks like a lot of progress on the house. Nice collection of trains.

Hughie- The cornices will give the build character.

Dave- Nice layout shot.

Joe- It looks neat to me. Nice job on the trackwork. Another nice historical photo.

Smudge- I just recently managed the drop with one of mine. I would also recommend taking a model level to the T/O and level in both axis's. This fixes about 90% of my T/O issues.

Karl- Nice photos although I only found 3 cats.

Steve- You're making great progress.

Iron Horseman- That is a lot of train stuff.

Willie- Nice time lapse on your train building.

I hope everyone has a good night.

While reviewing posts here and in other threads during the past week of cold weather, I was prompted to dig out my list of 20 Rules of Model Railroading. I got this somewhere over 20 years ago and I have a copy posted on a bulletin board out in the train shed. The ones in red are the ones that I consider the most important rules.

Model Railroad Rules to Live By

1. The object of this hobby is to have fun.
2. Buy some freight and passenger cars to go with your gross of engines.
3. Never ever tell a fellow modeler your scale is better then his.
4. At some point stop planning and start building the layout.
5. Never put perfection in front of running the trains.
6. Pay close attention to the track work it can kill the fun.
7. Meet and bring your favorite engine, and have your friends bring their favorite engines.
8. Have a plan, and an era, so you don't buy a lot of stuff you don't need.
9. Listen to the critics, and weigh their suggestions, and then do what you think is best.
10. Never argue with a rivet counter, you will lose.
11. Good running engines and dependable rolling stock are required to really have fun.
12. You don't have to agree, with your fellow modelers, to be friends
13. Have a spare of all tools, for when you lose the first one.
14. Keep the lubrication supplies handy and use them sometimes.
15. Clean the tracks before the trains stop running.
16. Know your economic, time, and space resources and plan accordingly.
17. In this hobby "do over’s" are a fact of life.
18. If you are a perfectionist, lighten up and cut the other people some slack.
19. If you are not a perfectionist, lighten up and cut them some slack.
20. Never ever forget rule one.

Feel free to copy and reprint this for your use.

Afternoon All,

Started with a couple of chores then headed to the train room. I disconnected the DCS-100 and connected the Zephr+. and ran a train and sure enough connectivity was again lost. So, I disconnected it and re-hooked up the DCS-100. After lunch I ballasted about 10 feet of track on the peninsula. We're going out to supper with daughter and grandsons (SIL in JAX for work) then have to go to the airport to pick up Dad that's returning from OH.

Sherrel- Thanks, I think I need it.

TomO- Nice job on the box car. I like how you graffitied your username on it.

Gary- The guns look great. I can sympathize with the housing costs there. It's cheaper monthly here to make a house payment than rent.

Guy- You're making good progress. That's a shame about the store. Animals always seem to try to escape.

Chad- Looks like a lot of progress on the house. Nice collection of trains.

Hughie- The cornices will give the build character.

Dave- Nice layout shot.

Joe- It looks neat to me. Nice job on the trackwork. Another nice historical photo.

Smudge- I just recently managed the drop with one of mine. I would also recommend taking a model level to the T/O and level in both axis's. This fixes about 90% of my T/O issues.

Karl- Nice photos although I only found 3 cats.

Steve- You're making great progress.

Iron Horseman- That is a lot of train stuff.

Willie- Nice time lapse on your train building.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Didn't think of that either, I've never heard of a model level tho'. I've got a 100mm spirit level, think that would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back