Running Bear's February 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a race car, I believe, but still looks neat. I think it's a Bugatti.
Bugatti Atlantic. He did build road cars as well, only a few of these. 3 or maybe 4. The last car Ettoire Bugatti worked on before his death was this 1947 Type 73a. Still with "suicide" doors, but note the wrap over into the roof.
1582679355603.png

1582679463306.png

Interesting article on the last GP car produced by the original Bugatti Company in 1956
https://www.supercartribe.com/bugatti-type-251-the-star-crossed-race-car/ and the last sports car in 1957 (1 only built it says)

1582680290467.png

Back to train models. The Walthers Mainline MRL GP9's came up in my ebay search today, #'s 104 and 134. Both no longer exist and are shown in the 1st livery. Brent Mueller's roster starts at #106 so a few he's missed. Neither have dynamic brakes. rrpicturearchives.net has only 3 pics of #104, the last on July '94
1582680996432.png

And #134 met it's end in July 2008 (as did #107, according to notes attached)
1582681423881.png

One of the details that has been hard to distinguish in the photos of these MRL GP9's (for the rivet counter) are the different designs of the skirt attached to the sill above the fuel tanks. The list of #'s on this site starts at 102, whether there were 100 and 101, can't confirm. 32 originals can be from this sites list, so they had a "fair swag" to start with. I've only been concentrating on the details of #'s 109 and 127 shown in that video, 109 has no skirt either side at all, just a rectangular plate supporting the filler.
1582682829971.png

#127, in this 1995 shot has a full length tank, with full length skirt + torpedo tube air tanks on the roof
1582683091838.png

Later the torpedoes were removed, and a short tank with crossover airtanks behind it. The full skirt was retained. Pic from Nov 2016
1582683670413.png

The models from Walthers all seem to have a skirt that is based on one with 4 vent slots in it, only Genesis offers ones that suit the individual prototypes offered, plus there was mention of other number specific ones (louvers ?). Genesis, so far though, I think I mentioned have only done the MRL high hoods and the only number, 109, that is still among the ones currently on roster. (page 16 on Genesis' retired GP9 models). What they do show further up that page is one lonely BN chop nose, but in outline only, #1741. The parentage of many of MRL's GP9's show that they came to MRL through BN from NP and it seems it was BN that had a chop nose program

Nice photos, RAY ... Wonder why they would move the air tanks from the roof back to underneath and shorten the fuel tank on #127?
You may have to do some cutting to get the correct skirting ... FRISCO had over a hundred GP-7s and almost as many variations of the skirting - with/without/partial.

Ray, 101 is a business car.
So it is (should'a known that). #102 is missing from the business car list, but appears under the Passenger car heading. An articulated car that arrived at MRL in SP daylight colors. Wish they'd left it that way. A power car and 2 domes take us up to #105, and as there are pictures of GP9's 102-105, can only guess those had already disappeared from the roster ahead of the arrival of the coach fleet and they were slotted into the empty spaces.
1582692775543.png

Nice photos, RAY ... Wonder why they would move the air tanks from the roof back to underneath and shorten the fuel tank on #127?
You may have to do some cutting to get the correct skirting ... FRISCO had over a hundred GP-7s and almost as many variations of the skirting - with/without/partial.
If I was to do this, the best option seems to be a bash of the Genesis models chassis and long hood, with the cab and nose of the BN model. MRL #109 model is correct for the late version, sill, fuel and airtanks. #126 unfortunately, of the 4 produced, is again a colored drawing, but does appear to have the full length sill extension that suits #127.
1582694780856.png

Replacing the cab and nose would not be too difficult, I have prised the walkway from the shell on another Athearn previously. This is the BN 1741 referred to
1582695149923.png

Wonder why they would move the air tanks from the roof back to underneath and shorten the fuel tank on #127?
Their use has been as yard switchers, so probably didn't need the fuel capacity. The only other reason might be that MRL mounts it's horns, usually toward the rear, behind the dynamics, but I did notice one that had it between that and the front fan. Maybe they just had'em and gave an apprentice a job.

Their use has been as yard switchers, so probably didn't need the fuel capacity. The only other reason might be that MRL mounts it's horns, usually toward the rear, behind the dynamics, but I did notice one that had it between that and the front fan. Maybe they just had'em and gave an apprentice a job.
The larger tank on the torpedo boat geeps was not for fuel, but a water tank for a steam generator. Since there was no reason to keep a steam generator on a freight engine, they probably removed it, and installed a standard tank in its place, allowing the air reservoirs to be relocated to a standard location.

Morning all,

Cold morning in Doo-Dah today, currently 28* and clear with a north wind. Supposed to be sunny and high near 40. May hit 70 on Sunday.

Time for a blueberry short stack and coffee. No meat today as it is Ash Wednesday. I don't know why the only time I really crave a cheesy greaseburger is on Fridays during Lent.

On the train side:

I did finally get the wires back through the new table work after I did my track changes and at this time I can run trains again. While the track is dirty, everything rolls smoothly in either direction. I retested the UP 804 locomotive and it doesn't like running through the switches. The front truck is spring loaded with NO weight and the pivot moves side to side as it has some swing in it. I think it was designed to run on tighter curves (it handles the 18" curves) and with my 22" minimum, it doesn't like something. It is a Bachmann unit, so as I get time, I may look and see if someone else had similar issues and corrected. Now to get the wires actually hooked up instead of temporary connectors under the table.

Good Morning All. 36° and cloudy, still quite windy. Some light rain to the east that won't come backwards to reach here, rain never comes from the east in these parts. It's not expected to get above 48° today so it looks like an indoor day mostly. Wind should finally abate around sunset.
Ash Wednesday is today for those that need a reminder. First day of Lent. Easter will be here soon.

How about some ham and grits for me this morning Francine. And a couple of slices of buttered whole wheat toast to go with it.

Many thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding the flatcar photos yesterday; Jerome, Joe, Guy, Dave, Chad, Sherrel, Bill, Mikey, Patrick, Phil, Curt, Greg, Ken, Ray, Garry, Justin, Johnny. They (comments) always inspire me to do more.

Made some visible progress in the train shed yesterday. After painting the chain link fencing Monday, I started installing it yesterday. I got it fastened to 10 of 22 fence posts so far.
02-26-20 004.JPG

Posts will be trimmed later.
Here are a few additional flatcar loads. 26 of my 38 flats have loads, five others have TOFC loads.
This is a Roundhouse 60' flat with a Cat that I don't remember the manufacturer. It's on my list of items to redo in the future after seeing the one that Ray did a few months back.
02-25-20 006.JPG

Here's an Atlas 68" short bulkhead flat with parts of several different Chooch loads. Lots of background clutter here Sherrel!
02-26-20 005.JPG

Finally today, another Roundhouse 60' bulkhead with concrete highway overpass girders that were leftovers from a Rix kit.
02-26-20 003.JPG

Johnny - Interesting looking article from Popular Science. I sporadically read them in the 60's, but never saw a model RR related article.
Sherrel - Sorry about the background clutter in yesterday's pictures, but is a railroad that we're talking about!:cool:
Regarding the I-beams, I made them from Evergreen styrene 3/16" I-beams. I painted them DRGW Dark Boxcar Red paint from Polly Scale. The numbers were applied with a toothpick and are Apple Barrel Ivory paint. I don't remember whether I used scale ties or cut up pieces of wooden matchsticks for the timbers.

I received an E-Mail yesterday from Louis, in response to one that I sent to him last week. All is well with him and Angela. He's still doing some work with Amazon as a third party seller, but he didn't get into any further details.

Everybody have a great day.

Good morning everyone. 30 and still flurrying out there. Just enough snow to cover the roofs of houses, nothing on the road. North of here got a little more. Growing up in New York in the 50's, my mother loved a good snow storm - so did I, back then - and she would call something like this a "four-flaker." Can you believe it - - Weekend highs predicted to be in the 60s, nearly 70!!!

Chessie, Garry, Ray, IronBelt Ken, Boris, Flip, Wheeler, Patrick, Alcomotive, Sherrel, Robots, McLeod, TruckDad, Curt, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on the magazine photos I posted yesterday. I have them in plastic protective envelopes which helps preserve the smell ;) which adds to their antique authenticity!!
Ray - Those are nice photos of the Bugattis and the GP9s.

Here's another photo from my archives. Trying to be "artsy" I guess. Freight train coming around a bend heading toward the trestle over the stream.
TrainApproachingTrestle.jpg

That's it for now. Have a good day everyone.

Willie - You posted a few minutes before I did this morning, so I didn't see your latest photos. Again, really nice work. As I mentioned yesterday, you inspire me to do some flatcar work later this year. It's something that's missing from my layout. I'll look for some cars at the next train show in March and do some homemade loads for them to carry. Thanks for the tips on how you made yours.

Good morning. 28 degrees to start off the day. Think I'm ready for some cacklberries over easy, sausage patties, home fries and an English muffin please.

That was a long trip Monday. Yesterday I only moved enough so people wouldn't think I was dead. It was a pretty good trip back home. Not much traffic going through Salt Lake City but had miserable roads from West Yellowstone through the canyon to the house. Icy roads all the way. Getting too old for trips like this. Guess we could have stopped, but my son and his wife had been house/dog sitting all weekend.

I have a lot of posts to catch up on. Saw a lot on the phone when I was in Las Vegas, but I hate to try to comment on the phone plus we were pretty busy down there. So many really nice photos.

Garry
- I really admire your layout and enjoy the photos.

Willie
- You really did some nice work on the flat car loads. Good variety and lots of detail.

Terry - See that you are still abusing your electronics. You gotta stop that. It can get expensive. My wife got an Apple I-pad at her company Christmas. I don't use it much. We have taken it on a couple of trips but she uses it mostly to order stuff from Amazon instead of using her laptop. I personally don't care for Apple.

Joe - Always enjoy your historic photos. There's so much railroad history on the east coast.

Johnny
- Happy that you are showing more of your layout. Like the photos.

Ray - I really enjoy the information on the MRL. Knew some of the information and also learned some. Great photos. I saw that articulated passenger car only once. Have no idea where they store it. I do have a couple of Nash vehicles on my layout. The Metropolitan also came out badged as a Hudson. Wish I could find some more.

thumbnail_20200226_060307.jpg thumbnail_20200226_061043.jpg

Going to try to catch up on the posts and also relax a lot. Found out that I can't keep as busy as I did years ago without paying for it.

Later

Chet, my phone is my last remaining Apple device, and when the Samsung replacement arrives, it’ll be gone, too. Apple has seriously lost their way, more focused on keeping you in their sandbox, and buying their stuff, rather than attracting people with better stuff.

Good Morning Everyone....over cast in Wisconsin.

Its just 18 days before the black and Redwing Black birds return to the feeders. They return like clockwork and their arrival may be altered by a couple of days if the weather is bad. It's my sign that Spring is near. The birds nest in a swamp near the house but come here to feed in Spring. It's been a long winter with the first heavy snow on Halloween Day.

Going to change plans for the layout today and install more of my custom decals and aged sign decals.

1582733569183.png

I ordered the "Ghost" signs direct from the manufacture, but they are also available from Amazon.

Going to add a caboose to the train that I ran on Monday. Its a weathered Milwaukee Road caboose.

Not much to report this morning.....

Greg

###########################

Afternoon All,

Did several chores today. The 2-8-8-2 just came in so after this I'll set up a test track if I can find the base station.

Sherrel- Thank you.

Joe- I did not know about them being called "drills". Nice 1:1 photo.

Toot- Nice MRL photos.

Willie- More nice load pictures.

Johnny- Nice scene.

Chet- Nice layout scenes with great looking vehicles.

Greg- Nice signage.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy ...

Falling behind again . I thought I would get some computer time this morning, but that did hot happen. Just checking in briefly with cell phone now.

Good to see everybody here .

Chet .... Thank you for your remark.

cheers.

I really enjoy the information on the MRL. Knew some of the information and also learned some. Great photos. I saw that articulated passenger car only once. Have no idea where they store it. I do have a couple of Nash vehicles on my layout. The Metropolitan also came out badged as a Hudson. Wish I could find some more.
I've found I like the researching of, it enhances the feeling of connection. I can't say I've seen any photos that indicate where the train is stored. Can't be Livingston, you'd spot it for sure. Didn't know about the Hudson version. When they designed them, they must have figured Americans would appreciate the huge power difference between the chassis' 58 c.i motor and the 73 c.i used in it. That it was almost twice the size and weight didn't seem to matter. Not exactly the fender styling for wide rims and tires either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back