Running Bear's February 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening ..

Willie ... I like your flat car loads and your Santa Fe locos.

Toot ... You have an interesting conversation about MRL GP9’s. You can’t go wrong with Genesis locomotives if they have the midgets you want.

Karl .. Your chop nose Geeps are great.

Johnny .. Your engine house scene looks very good.

Mikey... Funny !

I had a little more model railroad time. I have completed installing grab irons on all 8 original Super Chief cars. Next I will apply the decals with car names or numbers. My two extra sleepers for the train can wait before I work on them.

And the 58 Rambler V-8 was faster than the ' Vette'V-8 in the 1/4 mile .

Phil
The basis for the song was in the Hot Rod, custom car, street machine, drag racing etc, post WW2 phenomenon, when the OHV V8's horsepower race was taking off in earnest. Engine swapping big car engines into smaller, lighter bodies, had been around for years before the war. Cadillac's V8 was the biggest in the 50's and found it's way into such light cars as the Rambler. Even went racing at the Le Mans 24 Hrs in a British built Allard J2.
J2
In 1951, Bill Pollack drove an Allard J2 with a Cadillac V8 to victory at the Pebble Beach Road Race.[24] Sydney Allard and Tom Cole drove a J2 with a Cadillac engine to third place in the 1950 24 Hours of Le Mans.[1][25]They achieved this even though the first and second gears of the 3-speed gearbox were broken[26] Of 313 documented starts in major races in the 9 years between 1949 and 1957, J2s compiled a list of 40 first-place finishes; 32 seconds; 30 thirds; 25 fourths; and 10 fifth-place finishes.[4] Both Zora Duntov (the father of the Corvette) and Carroll Shelby (the father of the Cobra) raced J2s in the early 1950s. (Wikipedia)
Allard J2
1582612192632.png

Note the front axle. Pre 1949 Ford flathead V8. They were originally built on Ford chassis, using the flathead motor and running gear. The axle was cut in two at the middle and pivots added to make a swing axle independent suspension. Hence the classic 1920-30's high positive camber of the wheels. At least they ditched the transverse leaf spring. This one appears to have the flathead, the triple 97 Strombergs are the give away.
Tech for the Cadillac engines used in the Allard J2 series cars http://tech-racingcars.wikidot.com/cadillac-v8-ohv-331

Last edited:
Good morning gang!

Got a chance to get to the workbench last night (Mrs had a bad headache, went to bed as soon as she got home) . Got a chance to work on a buddies brass diseasel adding electrical pickups. You would think that being brass and all, that a modern model (GP15) would have more than 4 wheel electrical pickup from the factory, but no. And what was there was all nasty looking. It was time to destruct the construct something better.

Thanks for the comments on the Geeps. I've got more pics of the WM units I have, somewhere. :confused:

Toot, I've also got an unfinished GP9 chop nosed shell around here....somewhere :confused: 3D printed and very nice, plus a P2k donor unit for the running gear...someday.:rolleyes:

later Gators!

Morning all,

Time for a Western Omelet this morning whole wheat toast and hash-browns and coffee...Thanks Francine.

Not much going on yet. Hopefully I can get to the trains tonight, I still need to get started on the rewiring to the transformer. Like always, I'm overthinking the process way too much. I got my block switches in, but need to make the drawer slide control station to really attach everything.

I figured out the double track lights, bottom is the signal for the left track as it splits and top is for the right as you move from a single to double track. Train parked on the left track last night and the bottom light was red. Top light was green and the right track was clear.

Good Mardi Gras Morning Everyone. 41° with partly cloudy skies around here this morning. Still have the high winds out of the NW, at least they're dry. Temperature today still expected to reach 60°, but a chilly day tomorrow with a high of only 48°. Had to mow part of the yard yesterday, the SW area around the septic tank and lateral lines. I also had to make some repairs to the driveway, spreading a bit of crushed rock/caliche mix into some wheel ruts. Surprisingly no Advil needed this morning.

Just some plain over-easy eggs and a double handful of bacon this morning Francine.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding yesterday's post; Dave, Bill, Sherrel, Jerome, Mikey, Karl, Johnny, Patrick, Justin, James, Curt, Phil, Rick, Garry.

Out in the train shed, I spread some ground cover on part of the rural lot project. I also cut out the fence from tulle, (that's wedding veil material), for the chain link fence around the property. That's about the only thing that will keep goats in! Nothing worth progress pictures yet, so here are a few more flatcar loads since they were popular yesterday.
Here's a couple of slightly modified and repainted cable reels from Chooch on a Roundhouse 60' flat.
02-25-20 003.JPG

Another Roundhouse 60' flat with a load of parts also made by Chooch.
02-25-20 004.JPG

And finally a homemade load of aluminum billet on an Athearn 50' flat.
02-25-20 005.JPG

Mikey -
By now you probably guessed I have a certain interest in flatcar loads.
I also like flatcar loads. I have a lot more than I have posted pictures of.
Johnny/James -
I like those homemade I-beams
Very awesome job on the loads! I like the I-beams!
Here's a closeup of the I-beams.
02-25-20 002.JPG

Curt - You sure have been staying busy lately. It's a little early for pool maintenance here, but it's coming up. On tap this year is re-leveling and a new vinyl liner for my above-ground pool.

Everybody have a great day today. Stay out of trouble.

Good morning everyone. 36 and drizzly out there. Still predicting flurries tonight, maybe 1/2 inch in this area. This weekend highs will be in the 60s.

Garry, Chet, Flip, Sherrel, Robots, Chessie, Patrick, Chad, Karl, Willie, Wheeler, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the comments and likes on my train barn post yesterday.
Willie - You sure do have a liking for flatcar loads. Got to thinking last night as I was running trains, I only have one or two flat cars - guess what I'll be looking for at the next local train show?

Here's something different: Like many depression-era folks, my dad saved magazines. When he passed, I inherited tons of these things. Over the years, I kept those that had special meaning and sold the others. Note the date on this one - 70 years ago this year. And the price!! Since I had an American Flyer set when I was growing up, I kept this issue. Now that I'm into the hobby big time, I got this issue out and thought I'd share it. Only one article in the mag, and not very long, but showing how far model railroading had come by 1950!! The second pic is from the article.

1950 magazine electric trains.jpg
TrainArticle1950.jpg

Ahhh - memories!!

Have a good day everyone.

Morning Gents: Going to be 78 they say today (was 75 yesterday) with clear sunny skies. Believe it or not - We had almost - not quite - 3/4 of an inch of rain Saturday which we really needed.
Francine - it's time for a big-old plateful of Mel's biscuits and gravy with a couple eggs sunny up and some bacon ... got me some hungry's today!
Spent the day Saturday with the daughter/SIL/Gson at a drumline competition most all of morning and a large part of the afternoon. There were close to 40 schools with different age groups performing. I like the band meets, but not to enthused over the "drumline" - too much dancing around with taking longer to set up and take down than actual performing.
Sunday was spent trying to keep SWMBO happy moving the new couch and chairs around - which she still did not like the placement! Yesterday morning we completely re-did it all again, but low and behold she liked the outcome ... as well as I and the pups do!
Long story short - we forgot to take the old stuff out to the curb to be picked up and we must have missed the truck as it all is still sitting there. I will have to lasso some help to get it back up to the garage and wait until we can arrange for another P/U. It's uphill a little - even though I have furniture movers - just a little too heavy for me alone, but there was a time that I could have done it very easily! (insert madd face here)

I have really enjoyed all the posts and pictures - good looking flat loads - nice to see the RR earning revenue. Willie - What are the I beams made from - they look great as well as the soda straw pipe? Too much background "clutter" in today's photos?

Willie- I cannot believe you forgot today is national pancake day.
Thanks for the additional flatcar loads. They are safely saved on my computer.
Johnny- The memories are what makes most of us play with trains again. Nice pictures of real history.

OLD SOUTHERN SAYING-
I
f it were not for televised football, hockey and basketball, many kids wouldn't even know what a real millionaire looks like.

(Posted by Tom Holly in the Frisco website)
BNSF has brought a former SL-SF GP38-2 to the Junction, it was I believe #406. Here it sits in the Grand Junction Depot yard BNSF 2261. Built in 1973, 47 years old and still doin the deed. A long way from home. Several changes in the nose lighting arrangement!
1582655146126.png

1582657657936.png

Last edited:
RAY (Toot) enjoyed your "Motor Trend" musings today .. did not know most all of that info! I wish race cars still looked as the one you pictured - the ho-hum lookalikes of todays racing just don't excite me (I've been watching this year trying to get excited about the game) It's kinda like watching a stack train going by!

Afternoon All,

Been another busy day here. Spent about 90 minutes working on the pool today and more than 2 hours cleaning flex track. Now all the saved track and turnouts are clean and ready for re-use. I figure I have saved about $500 between the two. The sewing room is slowly coming together.

Does anyone know what type of adhesive to use to hold wood to Formica vertically? I used liquid nails and let dry for 24 hours but it did not dry.

Willie- More nice loads.

Johnny- Neat magazine.

Sherrel- We get bulk/heavy stuff pickup every Wednesday along with 2 regular garbage pickups a week. Nice 1:1 photos.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Ardwick Drill May 1977.jpg

The Ardwick Shifter or Drill if you prefer enroute back to Bennings in 1977. Photo taken from Landover, (MD),Tower. Large portions of the PRR referred to switchers as "Shifters", however East of MP76, the beginning of the New York ,(or New Jersey), Division, switcher crews were called "Drills". So much for Standardization, eh?

Good Afternoon Everyone....overcast and strong winds, but no snow.

Doctor's appointment this morning and everything was fine, but I need a new EKG in April. Spent part of the afternoon clearing a toilet and tightening its seat. The seat is not your usual run of the mill toilet seat....its self closing. Something my wife purchased. It's fine until the seat requires tightening and then its a real job to take it apart and tighten the bolts and then re-aline the seat holders with the seat and top.

Good day yesterday down on the layout. Applied DullCote to the water tank with the new signage. Tomorrow, I'll return the tank to its original location and repair the scenery around the tank.

I have four matching Wisconsin Central box cars from Fox Valley and I painted the wheel sets and trucks and replaced them back on the cars. It makes a world of difference to have the wheels painted and a bit of rust on the truck's springs. Added a touch of silver to the ends of the Kadee glad hands to represent the metal fittings on the air hoses. I did maybe 10 cars as long as the paint jar was opened.

Added some detailing and weight to my beat up SOO caboose and adjusted the Kadee couplers on three or four cars. Added more ground foam along the top of the layout's fascia to hide the edges and tie the fascia to the layout. Cleaned up a bit.

All the while I worked at the bench, I had that pesty SD-39 running and pulling a train of the newly decaled ore cars and one Taconite car. It ran for two hours without a problem.

Sherrel: One trick we use at the cabin is put items at the roadside and place a for sale sign and a price tag on the items. If left out at the road overnight, the stuff is gone by morning. That BNSF #2261 locomotive is cool looking and that color scheme one of my favorites. I have one BNSF locomotive on my CM&N locomotive roster.

Raincoat2: Those Popular Science and Mechanics magazines were a favorite of mine and also of my Dad. He build from a 1951 Popular Science issue, a boat out of metal sheeting and did all the soldering and the forming of the sheet metal. It was powered by batteries and it sank on its Maiden Trip across a pond when the wind kicked up. We recovered the boat and I have the boat on display at the cabin.

Willie:
Again great flat car loads. Keep them rolling along.

Curt: I would think that any Formica adhesive, which Like Sherrel pointed out is a contact cement, would work for your project. Being vertical, I would use some clamps to hold the surfaces tight while the glue dries.

Curt:
On my yard expansion I plan on using Code 70 track in some areas and I saved a bunch for a previous layout and by using them it will save me at least $20/turnout and I get a more realistic looking track-work. I like recycling items when I can.

Our basement bar/Packer football collection room was framed using second hand 2X4's that were old enough to be true dimensional lumber. I had enough lumber from a store being demo'd at Mayfair Mall that the lumber did a 1,000 foot room. I did run out of just one piece when I needed one last piece to finish the back bar area. No warping with lumber that old and dry.

Looking forward to the layout tomorrow.

In some future post I'll share with you some decals that look like old, aged signs (almost like Sellios stopped by). Going to add some more signs tomorrow on buildings and other items where signs would be found.

That's all for now.

Later everyone....

Greg

###########################

IMG_0406.JPG
My overpass from "nowhere to nowhere" that's over the Saxeville Interchange tracks. The lampposts are from Woodlands and I ran their wiring under the overpass and then across to the utility pole and then down the center of a long piece of tubing (conduit, like in real life) and then under the layout.-Greg

RAY (Toot) enjoyed your "Motor Trend" musings today .. did not know most all of that info! I wish race cars still looked as the one you pictured - the ho-hum lookalikes of todays racing just don't excite me (I've been watching this year trying to get excited about the game) It's kinda like watching a stack train going by!

Not a race car, I believe, but still looks neat. I think it's a Bugatti.

FB_IMG_1582569031928.jpg

And, while I'm at it:

Huh?
FB_IMG_1582542442099.jpg

This is (was) real. Detroit, the manufacturing district.
FB_IMG_1582561193031.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back