Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon All,

Today we had a short notice skunk rescue that took about 4 hours round trip driving. He is an older skunk currently residing in a pen in our dining room. After Christmas he will go to his forever home up by Ocala. Next week will be fairly busy for us. Dad has to go to the VA again because his CPAP machine isn't working correctly. I went back through the calendar last night and this will make 24 VA visits that I drove him to this year. That doesn't count the ones for me.

Yesterday I got the brake system in on both cars. Not my best work but it's done. Next step is adding weight. For flat cars I use glued down BB's. Tomorrow, we head over to daughters for Christmas supper and gift exchange.

Louis- I totally agree with Christmas traditions.

Swal- Nice looking double decker layout.

Willie- Nice layout shots.

I won't be in tomorrow so MERRY CHRISTMAS or whatever you celebrate at this time of year. I wish everyone the very best.

From my family to yours:

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas!

1703451454985.png

It's Troy again with an update:

Nap time won out. Been taking Mucinex all day, and some cough suppressants. Doesn't mean I'm not coughing. I'm just not hacking up a lung out each time.

Made beef and noodles for supper tonight. Premade noodles from the psuedo-Amish at Das Dutchman Essenhaus (about an hour away). Local groceries carry their products. Also used instant mashed taters ... I had waaaaay too much real mashed taters in college. Prefer the instant.

Wife didn't do much other than watch K-dramas

I'm working my way through some speakers/videos I missed by not going to the Nov Author conference. Current speaker is going through how to use AI as an author....

Swal- Nice looking double decker layout.
Thanks Curt I don't know how long it's going to take to finish the ceiling. A whole lot of measuring going on. Even if I get that done I still have to order at least 6 drop in flat panel lights now that I know the difference between manually setting them and using a dimmer switch which requires more wiring even though it's only 10 volts. It's only the basement I don't need a dimmer switch. I can't wait until this new project is over so I can start working on the layout again. I went to a train layout display at our rec center Saturday and met a whole lot of new train people there. I guess I'll be visiting their layouts in the near future.
Swal

Willie The pennies are a great idea!, and be cheaper than the stick on weights. I don’t have much luck keeping them stuck for some reason.
I get the sticky weight at Harbor Freight. A little super glue will keep them on. Come in 1/4 and 1/2 oz.

Good evening and Christmas Eve from Wisconsin. It hit 56f degrees today and the open house was another success. Dinner was with family and 2 couples that have been friends since we moved to North Central Wi in 1976 and have stayed as close friends with our move to So. Central Wisconsin. The tenderloin was superior and done just perfect.

The 10 year old grandson had a few buddies show at the open house portion of the day and ran some trains using the IPhones and WiThrottle Lite. They had one issue and came to get me. With like 10 adults following me we went to the train room. A short did not re-set and after a minute all was well. Most of the adults then took a turn on the cell phone throttles with 3- 10 years olds explaining how to use them. One of the boys said my layout is nicer than his grandpa’s. Turns out I do know his grandpa

During the open house we got a certified special delivery. Terry and I agreed on Friday and responded to the Town regarding the “eminent domain” case filed against us. We said no to their totally surprising settlement offer but we did accept the original conditions of the “eminent domain” case as it was a choice they gave us. While not mentioning the case they upped the offer on the settlement request. It was something the attorneys were expecting.

I will be here tomorrow so the Christmas greetings will wait

A happy Christmas Eve for those who are still on the 24th and a Merry Christmas to all

(And to those who celebrate a holiday other than Christmas, may your celebrations be joyful and happy)!

Today we had a combined service with another ward (congregation) and just the communal first hour service (sacrament meeting) and not the usual second hour of classes that are typically part of the Sunday worship services. My calling (we all get asked to volunteer in specific callings) is music coordinator. So I choose the hymns each week. I chose for today but was not in charge of the choir specials or the children’s group (Primary) song. We had two short speakers as well as much worshipful Christmas music. It was nice.

Normally I get a nap in Sunday afternoon but today I helped get a few last neighborhood treat bags ready and went and delivered some to our new neighbors and some other friends and neighbors in the area while the wife took care of her part of the list.

Being me, it took a few hours to make me dozen or dozen and a half stops as there were several I got side tracked at with long conversations.

I made it back just as we were needing to leave to my uncle’s house for Christmas Eve dinner. My mom’s side is mostly Norwegian with one part reaching back into Sweden. In those countries, Christmas Eve is a big deal with the setting up of the Christmas Tree and inviting St Nick in for a drink and a bite and dancing around the Tree etc.

We’ve Americanized it so we eat a lutefisk (and Salmon) dinner and then watch as Santa Claus comse in and (now -- when I was a kid at our home in Arizona or in Utah at my Great Grandmother's house it was all the Santa gifts) leaves each child present a gitt fry while we “hide” in the dark. It was fun. My mom was there with her sister and husband, who were the hosts, and two of her brothers. Many of my cousins were there with their kids. The family is so big that some of the branches have their own version now (when I was a kid we all got together). I think they all carry on the tradition in whatever way they have morphed it.

Tomorrow we’ll get up and open presents, and also celebrate my wife’s birthday (yes she is a Christmas girl but being from Japan did not grow up Christian but her parents no new time was Christmas and a special day so named her what means in English “Holy Child” as I understand it).

We’ll then head up to the house project for a few hours while we try and finish furring in the showers for the drywall guys and I try and finish the wiring for the heating system so we can run it on the backup boilers and make the drywall guys happy for when the mud and tape guys come. (Not quite there).

We’ll the head over late afternoon to my mom’s. She’ll have us and some others over for a Christmas dinner. Not sure all who are coming. My sister and her family in Wyoming aren’t coming as they’ll be coming for New Years. My brother is in Arizona and my sister who lives somewhat locally is in Africa in a country dear to me, at least by name, as her husband was called up to army duty and is doing a giver meant posting there. So I’m the only one of me and my siblings who’ll be there. But she always invites others. Probably her sister and brother in law who hosted us, one or both of her brothers whose clan is not so big or who (their kids) are out of the area, and a couple cousins of mine. We’ll see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back