Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my wife and I married we blended my American Christmas with her Hungarian Christmas.

As I told Troy, in Hungary the big meal is Christmas Eve. I had always baked an Esskay Silver Label whole ham on Christmas day. I used to go shopping at Macy's Holiday Lane on Christmas Eve. My wife went with me the last time I went to Macy’s on Christmas Eve. She was surprised they would be open until 6 PM. In Hungary Everything closes at noon Christmas Eve. Even the bars and restaurants close at noon. At least that is how it was 20+ years ago.

Times change, Macy's no longer has a separate section for Holiday Lane. It’s scattered throughout the store. I'm not trekking all over the store and I missed the beautifully decorated Holiday Lane. Esskay was bought out by Smithfield, and they discontinued many Esskay products. The hotdogs, breakfast sausage and Silver Label hams are the ones I miss most. Both the ham and sausage were a part of my Christmas for most of my life.

Now I buy half a ham and save money because they are often on sale or even free this time of year with store rewards. The last two Christmases I bought spiral hams. I'm not a big fan of glazed ham, but the kids like it, especially my daughter in law. With little carving needed they do make things easier.

The first time I made a spiral ham my kids all loved it and said, "this is the best ham ever, what did you do?" My answer "I followed the directions on the label." Spiral hams bake at a lower temperature and must be covered tightly with aluminum foil during baking.

Now that we are "empty nesters" the Christmas Eve meal is just my wife and me. The kids stop by on Christmas Day, so the buffet works well. My wife still makes a 25-quart pot of her Stuffed Cabbage. That is 40-50 big stuffed cabbage leaves. It freezes well and the kids take much of that with them. She even provides the sour cream they eat with it. My wife only makes it once a year, so it is a treat for them.

Christmas morning was always a big breakfast for me and still is. Bacon, sausage links, breakfast sausage, eggs and freshly made biscuits. My youngest grandson loves hash browns, so they have been added.

Christmas is a time for traditions.

Have a Merry Christmas Everybody!

1703396686357.png

Nah! Toad-in-the-hole is much tastier :D
Toad-in-the-hole is certainly tastier, but contains no toads. I'll be tasting Yorkshire Pudding tomorrow when my wife makes it to go with son-in-law's prime rib roast. For those unfamiliar with toad-in-the-hole, Yorkshire Pudding is the prime ingredient, along with sausages. It's similar to but more delicious than the American pigs-in-a-blanket.

Nah! Toad-in-the-hole is much tastier :D
I was afraid to ask. I would not have been able to unread the answer. Like the photos of the others, Goat's Head Soup and Eel eye pie, can't be unseen.
Toad-in-the-hole is certainly tastier, but contains no toads. I'll be tasting Yorkshire Pudding tomorrow when my wife makes it to go with son-in-law's prime rib roast. For those unfamiliar with toad-in-the-hole, Yorkshire Pudding is the prime ingredient, along with sausages. It's similar to but more delicious than the American pigs-in-a-blanket.
I'm relieved to read that, thank you Willie.

I had a brain cramp; I could not think of what pigs-in-a-blanket are. Now I remember. I've made my own version with frozen dough and hotdogs.

Last edited:
Fun Fact.

The largest Yorkshire Pudding was made in Skipton 1996 and measured 500 square feet. :D

Good day everyone. Christmastime is upon us.

We still keep some traditions. The gold angel goes in the lounge, the silver one in the dining room. The Nutcracker is on the shelf. A sweet mince pie and a glass of sherry for Santa. Carrots left outside for the reindeer.

Some traditions are being altered this year. The reading of 'The Night Before Christmas' was always read by our son. This year our younger granddaughter is the reader.

Tomorrow, Dawn has the sound of reindeer on the roof, on her telephone. The grandchildren will all listen to it. Santa's footprints on the hearth as he comes down the chimney. The crumbs left from Santa's mince pie, a tiny drop of sherry left in the glass.

IT'S CHRISTMAS!!!

Well howdy there internet peoples, and those with cold viruses

It's (cough, hack, phlegmy) Troy again.

Good thing I slept in the recliner again. The virus has settled in the chest. Congestion and cough. Woke up at 4 coughing, and got the Robitussin started.

Wife wants to seal her artistic endeavors with a gloss coat later. I've got a couple of rattle cans. BUT it's rather humid in this part of the world. So she'll have to spray outside, then bring the prints inside. I've already turned off or down our humidifiers.

I've had problems with lacquer sprays and miniatures when it's humid. The varnish gets frosty as it dries. The only fix is to hit it with a coat of Gloss and hope that clears it. Usually does.

I did make a run to the big box grocery early this morning to avoid breathing on anyone. More meds, cough drops, and milk. Dang it, if a box of iced sugar cookies didn't jump into my cart.

I'll be back later. Not sure what today holds. I might work on that one door that still sticks. Or I might take a nap. Not sure yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back