Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnsf971

Gomez Addams
Staff member
th-3795061174.jpg

Good evening: Happy December!

Spent the evening watching Hockey and washing pots and pans.

ESPN+ National game was great. NY Islanders @ North Carolina. Close game with both teams giving up the lead numerous times. The last when the Canes scored with 23 seconds left in the third to tie the game. Islanders won in a spirited overtime, 5-4. There were two other overtime games, The Jersey Devils over the Philadelphia Flyers 4-3, and the Toronto Maple Leafs over the Seattle Kracken 4-3 in a Shootout. Caps and Ducks are tied 1-1 as I write this.

Earlier this afternoon, I searched out material for a Mechanic's Garage and a Yardmaster's Office, which will finish my Walthers Modular Adventure. I feel this was a good product over all, and that Walthers blew it, by makeing it into a limited edition pre order product. Not everything in this hobby fits that model.

I actually was able to make up five structures, including the aforementioned garage and yard office. The Trapezoid Building, the Reading Freight House and the Scott Paper R&D building. Plus I had a office building at a steel fabricating plant on a previous layout that didn't survive storage.

Well it;s bed time, so I must leave Mel's hospitality. I'll be back after breakfast, for a quick cup of Joe.

Rabbit Rabbit,

Bed before 10p last evening. Woke up at 2 am with the cat dancing on me. Tried a couple of different positions. He stayed on top, and kept dancing.

OK, I'll get up and pee. Oh, the wife is off sleeping in the other room. I was either snoring or farting. No wonder the cat was doing his dance. I must either sleep with her, or be in the recliner.

I keep my slippers and sweater in by the guest bed, so I grabbed those, and headed down to the recliner.

Cat was happy to snuggle in next to me.
No more dancing.

Sweetie told me I was snoring.

this morning I feel fine. No cold symptoms. We'll ride it out. I still took a zinc supplement. Wife wonders if I got a spider bite. Since the train and hobby cave, and my writing desk, and my recliner are all in the basement... well... that's where the spiders go.

Today is first of the month laundry day. I wash the mattress pad first of the month, along with cleaning furnace and air filters. Got a busy day. If I get my chores and some book business work done, I might start putting foam risers on the layout. I need to get the grades figured out.

And, I'm debating on the yard. One through track is planned. I've never planned a yard before. Here's what I've got to work with:

Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 6.46.31 AM.png

Left side is the yard area. Foam riser is the Scenic LOOP Racetrack - no curves less than 17" radius so I can run passenger trains in continuous railfanning. The inner loops (Black Ruler) are 15" rad, and (blue curve + yardstick) 13" rad.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Nothing is set in concrete yet. Wet, mushy oatmeal is the current state of planning.

Good morning to all who visit. A decent Fall Wisconsin day is forecast. Mid 30’s, windy winds and low cloudy skies. But the white stuff has melted.

Volleyball on campus yesterday for NCAA regional play was exciting and since the Badgers won we will do it again tonight.

Today is a swim, the post office run, some breakfast and then time for the weathering bench. We will head out to VB about 5:30, so dinner will be small and at home. It’s too dark for an outside walk and I am not in the mood for the treadmill

enjoy your day

Good Morning All. Clear and 42° here in North Central Texas, after a damp miserable day yesterday. Cloudy, misty but least mild with temperature range from 50° to 60°. I still don't know whose water line burst and flooded my yard and driveway yesterday; I'm still amazed at the actual volume that traveled a quarter mile down the hill to reach me. The ditch alongside the county road in front of the house was still carrying it off three hours after the water company shut it off, although my yard was mostly empty by then.

Yesterday's predicted heavy thundershowers never materialized, my rain gauge was wet...the Weather Underground station around the corner showed just 0.04", barely enough to get the ground surface wet. Very heavy fog showed up around sundown, making the journey to our favorite Italian restaurant a bit tricky on the under construction five mile stretch of unlighted two lane country road.

Yesterday's grocery trek went well, no outages of anything on my list. Good to be back on my usual Thursday schedule. Gasoline prices remain unchanged between $2.59 and $2.64/gallon everywhere.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I chose the masochist path and started painting the windows on the tenement apartment building. I got half done before my eyes started crossing and blurring, so I will finish today. Then I will install the clear styrene.
IMG_1009.JPG

IMG_1010.JPG

Todd - While I didn't watch it, I read that last nights TNF game was a pretty high scoring back and forth game. I also read that it was only the fourth game this century that had no punts.
Mike - That reads like my trips to the LHS, which is 65 miles away. Since I have to make the trip worthwhile, my shopping cart gets full rather quickly. There will be a blitz of visits in the next 45 days, since I generally receive a few gift certificates every year for Christmas and my birthday just 11 days later. There's also the pre-Christmas visit to purchase a few items for my wife to give me. That is besides the Beverly Hillbilly set that you posted earlier in the week. TRIVIA: While looking for pictures to see just how to paint that, I discovered that their mansion is now owned by Lachlan Murdoch, the son of media owner Rupert Murdoch (News Corp, Fox News and others).
Troy - Hope that your wife recovers rapidly.

Bette Midler is 78 today.

Everyone have a fine Friday.

Had an expensive experience with a friend moving to another state after 50 years in the hobby. As a Master Model Railroader, he amassed a huge inventory of railroad items and modeling supplies.
After talking with him on the phone, I purchased his used paint booth and an air brush. I drove over yesterday afternoon to pick up these items.

Another Wrecking Crew member bought his 1930's HOn30 layout. Rolling stock and engines were being cataloged into an inventory spreadsheet for sale.
I spotted several vehicles, which were added to my bill. THEN, he asked if I had any interest in Jordan kits. I purchased all 23 Jordan vehicle kits which will keep me out of hobby shops for months. My total expenditure exceeded my cash but I'll be mailing a check to him today.
It was raining when I got home, so I will retrieve the new to me items and post some pics later when the rain stops.
Merry Christmas to me!

Morning all - I forgot that this was a new "Coffee Shop" post? The days, weeks, and months are flying by too fast and my clock spring seems to be running down at a faster rate than I would like!

It's 47 degrees and looking for 62 down the line with "mostly sunny and breezy"!

New day- New problem! MRI did show a Spot/Mass/Tumor on my liver. Doctor set me up with additional medical folks ... in the meantime ... I woke up with a pretty healthy dose of blood in the urine this AM, so that is an add-on I was not expecting.

Stay tuned for more "exciting" news!
FLO - Welcome to my world - large cup if you please?

Welp... Costco had some "Steakhouse marinade TriTip" that I picked up.

The "Steakhouse marinade" was Meh! Very Meh! Even when I smoked it...

So, instead of eating the leftovers as individual servings as I like with TriTip and Brisket... it's been languishing in the freezer.

Wife isn't feeling any better. So I put the last two bags of her summer patio bell peppers in the crock with an onion, canned tomatoes, and sauce, and my normal chili seasonings. Added the smoked tri-tip...
Chili.jpg

Report coming later tonight.

MIKEY - Congrats on the Jordan kits -I love them -- too bad that the family destroyed the molds.

WILLIE - Nice work on the window frames .. A lot of work, but a rewarding outcome - looks great!

TROY - The "pot" looks good, for sure! Hope the bride feels better!

If my newest problem does not look as if it is clearing up - I will head for the Urgent Care fcility later this afternoon?

MIKEY - Congrats on the Jordan kits -I love them -- too bad that the family destroyed the molds.

WILLIE - Nice work on the window frames .. A lot of work, but a rewarding outcome - looks great!

TROY - The "pot" looks good, for sure! Hope the bride feels better!

If my newest problem does not look as if it is clearing up - I will head for the Urgent Care fcility later this afternoon?
I would probably call my primary doctor. The Urgent Care places, at least around here, seem to be only geared toward collecting your insurance deductible, and dispensing some vague advice.

Good morning, all!

December is upon us, and the year is slipping away. I have one more outdoor task to complete before winter. I still have the gutters to clean. Looks like tomorrow is my window of opportunity. Looks like rain on Sunday.

Currently a Cold rainy day, time to get the track laying crew busy.

Have a safe day everyone!

Left side is the yard area. Foam riser is the Scenic LOOP Racetrack - no curves less than 17" radius so I can run passenger trains in continuous railfanning. The inner loops (Black Ruler) are 15" rad, and (blue curve + yardstick) 13" rad.

I run Euro passenger wagons as well as Shinkansen and longer car EMU on smaller radius (Largest radius with Unitrack in N without mixing or using the large radius 15 deg pieces, ie only using 30 or 45 deg pieces, is 13" I think, or maybe 15"). Not the most realistic but for many of these realistic would require much greater radius than we can do in models...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back