Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those wanting to know how the chili went: Very Well

Wife called it more of a stew than chili. the only difference was chunks of smoked tri-tip added to the mix instead of ground burger and pork.
Same 2 cans of tomatoes, 2 cans of tom-sauce, same onion (well, a new onion, didn't bother trying to recover the already used ones) ;)
Same bell peppers, you get the idea... Went a bit heavier on spices to knock down the marinade taste. It actually blended well.

Wife is feeling better, but not great. She had a lot of post-nasal drainage this morning. Doing well this afternoon. Whatever she's got, it's mild. I hope my condition stays mild too.

I've been dealing with itchy and watery eyes all day, and a very mild headache. Still continuing the zinc and vitamin regimen.

I'm hoping to be healthy next tues for the local N-scale club meeting. It's the annual pizza party.

I've been working on building out my online store for ebooks. Trying to get the email sequences set up. You know, for when you sign up to get the 10% off, abandon something in your cart cause your spousal unit came in right then, etc. Still have a few days of work on that.

Got myself an early Yule present:

405464686_6946196892114092_1612674267401612922_n.jpg

the book, not the booze. I'll be trying one of the recipes tonight.

In other news, I'm still trying to clear some projects off my hobby table.
Orcs:
407426232_6945406965526418_3259245436394972850_n.jpg

They'll be going on the base with the skeletons. I shrank those down and 3D printed them to fit on the 100mmx150mm diorama base. That's cork sheet around it with fine ballast and some aquarium gravel. I need to add a wash, glue the Orcs down, then add scenic cement and sprinkle some sanded grout over the ground areas.

Next up is making my demo navies for the fantasy navy game. Orcs, do-gooder humans, undead, and dwarves lined up so far. The ships don't take long to paint, but I need to do the sails separate from the hulls, and then combine them after painting.
407375691_6945406945526420_4129216652953513549_n.jpg

And I present the Boulevardier...

Anders Erickson's take on it is good. I like the bourbon taste, so his 2:1:1 ratio is what I tried. (Normally 1:1: 1) The recipe calls for Compari, which is a stronger, more bitter orange liqueur. I've got its nicer cousin, the Aperol. Next time I might add a dash of orange bitters to approximate the Campari.

Bourbon, Sweet Vermouth, and Aperol or Campari.

Cheers!
boulevardier.jpg

It took me longer to get the pictures than I anticipated this morning.
These are the assembled vehicles, some of which are Jordan kits. I would have been pleased if these were all I found.
20231201_102618.jpg

This is the gold mine of Jordan kits. There was another metal kit not pictured that I did not know the maker.
20231201_105759.jpg

There are 3 duplicates, which is not a problem,
It took about an hour and a half to reshuffle items on shelves to make room for the assembled vehicles. Found a place to keep all the Jordan kits together.

Last edited:
Good morning all. A freezing, icy cold day. Temperature staying below zero C.
Took granddaughter to Brownie Camp. 200+ girls I do not envy them camping in this weather. It will be lunchtime tomorrow when they come home.

I can hear the train room calling. I shall 'hide' there for an hour or three.

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin where the ground cleared of the white stuff around noon yesterday is again white. It shouldn’t last as the high temps should be low 40’s today.

Vacuum duty a day later than normal this morning, some time at the bench and a 5pm UW Women hockey game. They have been on the road the past 6 weeks so it’s good to have some home games. They are still banged up with 4 main players still out but are ranked #3 after the drop from #1

No 3 mile walk today. The walk from the parking lot to the ice arena, then to the restaurant after the game on campus and then the walk back to the parking will be just over 2 miles. While all this is on the newer side of the campus it’s still a pretty space to walk around.

Good Morning All. Mostly clear and 38°, back into the 60's today, maybe 70's tomorrow. The forecast is for warmer days upcoming except for Monday, which will still be above 60°.

While it didn't rain much Thursday, it took nearly all day yesterday to dry out. No wind. I finally got my dose of sunshine after 3:30 and clipped brush and branch tips off part of my pile of trees, to make it easier today to use the chainsaw. Today might just be a laundry day. I also have a dishwasher full of clean dishes to attend to this morning.

Thanks for the comments on the trim, Sherrel, Hughie, Curt, Joe.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I completed the other six window sets. I have temporarily put black or white paper in the windows while I look for my stash of paint store paint swath's that I use for generic interiors. Sadly, I just got about a half dozen more from Home Depot just two weeks ago, and can't remember where I put them.:mad:
IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_1017.JPG

While waiting for paint to dry, I assembled another small kit that I recently discovered while cleaning.
IMG_1013.JPG
IMG_1012.JPG

IMG_1011.JPG

IMG_1015.JPG

You can already see one of the TV antennas in the apartment pictures above. The mailboxes are getting painted next and will be planted in the next day or two. The mounting poles are too long, but I will trim them to get to USPS height regulations, 41"- 45".

Sherrel - I am not sure that waiting around is called for with blood in the urine. I've never been to an urgent care facility, so I have no judgement of them. The ER may be your best option.
Todd -
No punts the whole game. Willie, you are close - I thought I heard that it was 5 games without punts.
Minor point, but I had posted "this century", the fifth game was last century.
Good luck with the pellet stove, winter is coming soon. What is DMM??? Oh wait! Winter has already hit you if it is snowing. While we have had dustings in November, it is rare. According to my gardening almanac, I got a bit over 3" in 1976, November 13, my first ever garden planted earlier in the spring. I think that it was a record for November. Last one was a dusting on 11-30-2006.
Grizzled - Welcome. Don't worry about stepping on any toes here in the Coffee Shop. Nice workbench setup.
Joe - Thanks for the comment on the color selection for the walls/window trim. I count my blessings that I still have a steady hand, and can still paint details like that. I have also eliminated climbing up on the roof or close to it. Wife's orders.
Mikey - That's quite a haul of vehicles. Have fun with the Jordan kits.

Everybody have a great Saturday and a wonderful weekend.

Last edited:
Morning folks,

Wood stove fired, coffee and breakfast consumed. I removed my small drill press from the debris field yesterday and cleaned it up. I think that press was designed for circuit board manufacturing. It has a large base/table with a double kneed column. Electronic variable speed with a TINY Jacobs chuck. It needs some type of appliance feet installed before I set it on the work bench.

Morning folks,

Wood stove fired, coffee and breakfast consumed. I removed my small drill press from the debris field yesterday and cleaned it up. I think that press was designed for circuit board manufacturing. It has a large base/table with a double kneed column. Electronic variable speed with a TINY Jacobs chuck. It needs some type of appliance feet installed before I set it on the work bench.
That sounds like it would be very good for hobby use, since most of our stuff tends to be on the small side.

Morning all,

As usual 1 uncooperative server is delaying my day, but I think it's nearly done. It forgets who it is messing with.

Currently cloudy and 38° going for 44° later. Don't know what the rest of the weekend holds. Wife wanted to get the new Covid booster, but can't schedule it when I'm not sure when I'll get home.

Try to BBL.

Good morning, everyone!

Looks like our rain has exited the area, and the sun was trying to peek through, but has since retreated.

Track laying crew got in yesterday and was able to lay 30 or so ft of track behind the hidden portion of the backdrop and continue on around the curve. Hopefully more can get done this weekend so sub-roadbed can continue.

Have a safe day everyone!

Morning folks,

Looking at the photos you posted yesterday, it looks like quite a shop you're setting up.

Well, I found the cause of the Check Engine Light, PO 442. = Small leak detected in the EVAP System. (Gas Cap, worn hose, or charcoal canister) No big deal, it's derivable until I get it in for service. Th only time I ever did anything to this car since we bought it was replace the battery - it's in the trunk! I check the oil, and fluids too, but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back