Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:
I set the accell and decel to a higher number, put a dozen cars on the back of the thing, and let it do laps on my layout at about 20% throttle. It started running better after about the third lap, and it now is running smoothly without any stuttering. Luckily (?) I live alone, so the volume isn't upsetting anybody else.

Tom the lowest I've ever been was a 8 I'm double that now 16. I'm almost 80 years old and my drives don't go as far as they use to. None of my group believes in senior tees. The 400 and over yard par four's are hard for me to reach in 2.
Swal
I’m 72 now and I am definitely shorter off the tees then 10 years ago but much straighter then ever. We play the tips if the club allows it and if not whatever the back tees are. It’s the stupid 440 yard par 4’s and the 225+ par 3‘s that I am having issues with. Now every approach shot is aimed at the middle of the green. Next game is in the end of January At Bay Hill in Orlando

Morning all! TGIF! Not because of work, but tomorrow I get to see the grandkids! It's 33 up here is SE Wisconsin. Looks to be a mild winter with no snow before Christmas. I road tested the Hamburger Grill and the heavyweight diner last night at the club. It mostly went well except for a little excitement at first. Anyone who has ever assembled Athearn's shorty passenger cars knows you get wheels with one side live so you can light the car if you want. Well, that doesn't change even when you get to the expensive brass cars. It's pretty typical to have the brass trucks mounted to the bolster using a plastic bushing. The kingpin goes through this bushing and an insulating washer inside the body. Virtually every car in my fleet (except the Wally cars, we all know about them) is set up this way. Until now. The heavyweight diner had all metal kingpin & hardware sets, and I did the habitual thing and had insulated wheels on opposite sides of the car. So, when I put her on the track at the club, she lit up like the car had a light kit in it! Or an HO arc welder. 🤣 Luckily I was able to spin one truck around and solve the issue. After that all went well, including backing through crossovers, etc. Interesting, the little curve balls a manufacturer will throw you now & then!
Looking like just the second Brown Christmas since I moved to Wisconsin 11 years ago.

1702711897913.png

I'm up... two pee breaks, and I couldn't sleep.

Change of scenery - moved to the basement recline. Turned on Jazz Christmas tunes via Pandora app. Kicked on the space heater aimed at the recliner. The cat has settled in on the footrest where the heater blows.

Yawns are taking over. Had to pause typing

Nite, y'all

Well, Howdy There, internet peeps and those with weather

It's Troy again.

I'm back awake, with coffee. Somebody poke Sherrel, his bacon plate is getting cold.

Today is remodeling project day one. Nothing as grand as a kitchen or full house build.

Wife hit 30 years with the same company this summer, and ever 5 years they give a nice reward to long-term employees. Her anniversary gift was a trip to the gift certificates. And she got $1000 from Lowes with the intent to purchase new interior doors.

We're borrowing a friend's SUV that has held a door before, and purchasing 8 new 6-panel interior doors. Pre-cut for the knobs, but I have to route out the hinge areas. Then fit the doors. At least one will get cut down because of a shallower opening.

I told the wife that part of that budget had to go for a new router and circular saw. I don't have a router. And my circular saw is the cheapest of the cheap (Tool Shop from Menards brand for those familiar). I want a saw that doesn't drift just because a cloud is overhead, or a bird sneezed in southern Quebec. Those tool shop brand tools are anything but.

And, I figured out that if I'm going to be converting the basement to a Tiki-themed cave, then a router is needed. Routing out the patterns on trim boards to resemble Polynesian carvings featured in the Trader Vics, Don the Beachcombers, or the Kon-Tikis.

I did discover that there is an awesome Tiki Bar up in Grand Rapids Mich. I Already told the wife we'll have to find a reason to do a weekend getaway in that area to visit. The owners have purchased remnants of the old grand Tiki establishments. One of them heard of an auction of one chain's decor, called the auction house, and asked how much for all of it.

If you like tiki or nostalgia of the 40s and 50s bygone era, this is a good video to watch. Best to do this evening, with a mai tai in hand since it's about 45min. They tried to end at 30 minutes but kept coming back on as the host found more and more interesting artifacts to film and chat about.

Happy Saturday everyone!

Going to be a cool rainy raw day here in Northern Illinois.

Went to my daughters Christmas concert last night. She goes to Catholic school, so it's still called a Christmas concert, and not a holiday concert like the public school uses. We then went out to a restaurant. It was a great time. The kids all did a great job. The little ones are pretty entertaining at these things.

Not sure what the day holds, but the wife will be baking again today. Defiantly going to be hiding in the basement again.

Have a safe day everyone!

Good morning re-modelers, house builders, people who poke Sherrel and tiki hut enjoyers! Wow Troy you’ve got yourself a project. Instead of the circular saw though and with the amount of cutting maybe look into the price of a Delta table saw instead of the hand held circular one. I always found my table saw to be more accurate.

I am home, flying in from Vegas and entering the homestead at 6:35 last evening. I got a quick tour of the brother’s new place and honestly he should have built. But, remodeling will give his girlfriend something to do and get her mind off of her cancer issues. She is cancer free after 6 months but has elevated blood cell counts and is a huge worrier, which is understandable having gone through it twice myself.

I have no plans for this weekend and Terry is not leaving Tampa until Monday. So I could get into some mischief if I wasn’t so lazy. The grandkids and their parents are in the Milwaukee area till Sunday night. The grandson is playing tournament hockey, staying at the Son in Laws brother’s place and celebrating Christmas at his mom’s tonight and his dad’s Sunday.

I really want to stay away from the modeling bench today but I am not going to watch the fricking bowl games or Saturday NFL football. I thought about a drive over to Hiawatha but I really need to wait and see how my Christmas turns out. Most of the major restocking of the paints, brushes, thinners plus the odds and ends I ask for as Christmas presents. It makes it easier on the kids to buy for me. The son gets all my brush requests along with paints. The daughter who loves to give many gifts gets all my odds and ends stuff plus a book or 2. The son told his mom he is driving up this year and will take one of the refrigerators back with him! He and I will discuss that today…

enjoy the day

Good morning gang!

37° and clear, with a high of 55° expected.

I think Terry's shipping luck is wearing off on me. Ebay parts order was in my state, now it's heading south!! Here's the tracking info with my comments in red.
  1. Dec 16, 2023
    4:44am
    ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
    MERRIFIELD VA DISTRIBUTION CENT, 22081 Wrong way!!!!
  2. Dec 16, 2023
    4:06am
    DEPARTED USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
    DULLES VA DISTRIBUTION CENTER, 20101
  3. Dec 16, 2023
    2:56am
    PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
    DULLES VA DISTRIBUTION CENTER, 20101 Wut??
  4. Dec 14, 2023
    2:30pm
    DISTRICT HEIGHTS, MD 20747 Close, but no cigar!!!!
  5. Dec 13, 2023
    2:56pm
    KANSAS CITY MO DISTRIBUTION CEN, 64121
  6. Dec 13, 2023
    2:20am
  7. Dec 12, 2023
    11:00am
    Departed Post Office
    GAS, KS 66742
  8. Dec 12, 2023
    9:29am
    USPS in possession of item
    GAS, KS 66742
  9. Dec 12, 2023
    9:06am
    SHIPPING LBL CREATED USPS AWAITS ITEM
    IOLA, KS 66749
  10. Dec 12, 2023
    7:07am
    Tracking number provided

One of these days it will get here I suppose!

Happy Saturday everyone!

Going to be a cool rainy raw day here in Northern Illinois.

Went to my daughters Christmas concert last night. She goes to Catholic school, so it's still called a Christmas concert, and not a holiday concert like the public school uses. We then went out to a restaurant. It was a great time. The kids all did a great job. The little ones are pretty entertaining at these things.

Not sure what the day holds, but the wife will be baking again today. Defiantly going to be hiding in the basement again.

Have a safe day everyone!
Hiding in the basement is a good thing. Our rain is about 2 hours away according to radar. Not coming up from your direction though

Good morning gang!

37° and clear, with a high of 55° expected.

I think Terry's shipping luck is wearing off on me. Ebay parts order was in my state, now it's heading south!! Here's the tracking info with my comments in red.
  1. Dec 16, 2023
    4:44am
    MERRIFIELD VA DISTRIBUTION CENT, 22081 Wrong way!!!!
  2. Dec 16, 2023
    4:06am
    DULLES VA DISTRIBUTION CENTER, 20101
  3. Dec 16, 2023
    2:56am
    DULLES VA DISTRIBUTION CENTER, 20101 Wut??
  4. Dec 14, 2023
    2:30pm
    DISTRICT HEIGHTS, MD 20747 Close, but no cigar!!!!
  5. Dec 13, 2023
    2:56pm
  6. Dec 13, 2023
    2:20am
  7. Dec 12, 2023
    11:00am
    Departed Post Office
    GAS, KS 66742
  8. Dec 12, 2023
    9:29am
    USPS in possession of item
    GAS, KS 66742
  9. Dec 12, 2023
    9:06am
    SHIPPING LBL CREATED USPS AWAITS ITEM
    IOLA, KS 66749
  10. Dec 12, 2023
    7:07am
    Tracking number provided

One of these days it will get here I suppose!
USPS is a wealth of efficiency...just ask them!

Good Morning All!
31F @87% and overcast. Piddling of snow for the last week that goes away later in the day.

I start my 72nd orbit today. Maria got us a motel in town right across from a steak place so we can eat, drink and be merry. This one does NOT have hot tubs in the room as I did for her BDay. No complaint because of that but the price was the same; go figure.

Mac&Cheese: Here is a simple recipe for those that dabble. This is almost too much for her and I.
1 cup mac
4 slices American Cheese ( Pasteurized process )
1/8 cube of butter
1/8 cup of Milk or Sour Cream
Pepper and Garlic ( cheese is salty so probably not needed )

Start a small pan, 1/2 the butter, milk and those cheese slices on low to get stuff melted. Move it around in the pan to reduce the chunks.

Mac in a 'nother pan and put HOT water in covering the Mac with about 1/2 inch over. On stove until the mac gets to your consistency. I usually let it froth up once, then slide the cover over a bit and let it froth up again. You are in the ballpark on consistency - soft, but firm and won't fall apart.

When Mac comes off stove in about 15 minutes, rinse with hot water and drain. While draining, other half butter the bottom of that pan and swirl it around. Put Mac it then stir to get it buttery. Add cheese mix, stir and cover turn heat off and let it sit for 15ish minutes to coagulate everything. You know you did it right when it 'crackles' when stirred.

Of course, you can mix it up. 2 slices of Swiss or whatever else you like. Want mo? Just remember to do the same ratio with the cheese, butter and milk.

We also slice up various sausage types, shrimp, bacon, ham, black olives, mushrooms.... or the like to put in.

My Fav was CostCo Italian sausage, black olives and mushrooms. I was cutting up Pastrami to freeze for sandwiches and Maria walked by wanting Mac&Cheese for dinner. Welp, had end pieces that are too small to slice so I chunked those up and replaced the CostCo sausage with the Pastrami - new Fav!

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back