Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, Willie. The old dog is important to us. He is like a son to us. A sometimes goofy crumb snatching son, but a son none the less.

When we lost Sophie 10/2/23 or 10/3/23 (we aren’t sure because she passed away peacefully in her sleep during the night) I was reading online looking for something, anything that might comfort my wife and me. I came across this "Losing a pet can be hardest of all because they are so much a part of our everyday lives." I found that hard to disagree with.

So far old Tucker is beating the odds. If things worsen, we can increase his medication. As it is he is doing well with less than half of the maximum dosages. But these things can change quickly, the vet tells me. I see each day with him as a gift from God.

I feel we were blessed to have Sophie and Tucker. I feel the same about all the pets/children I have had.
Louis: We too have an older one. She is 18 now and starting to loose her mobility. Seems that every once-in-awhile the back end does not do what the brain wants and she goes down. She does not appear to be in pain at that time, and usually is pretty calm about it waiting for stuff to work again. Still bright eyed and sometimes bounces around the house for awhile. Maria and I both agree to just leave her alone to her age problems as long as she can still see ( she is deaf ), eat and pee. In time she will rest under the Walnut tree a few feet down. Her fav spot in the Summer; just sits/lays there and watches stuff.

Later

LOUIS - The sad part about pets is that a day to us is a week with them. Just reading your post about Tucker made my eyes leak a little. Every thought brings back sadness to me and will continue for quite a while.
It never gets better, but it does get easier to live with. I still feel the pain of losing them all. I also remember the joy of being with them and that far exceeds the pain.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day at 66F and wet. It has been lightly raining all day with the heavier stuff starting at 6 PM and going through the night. I did a couple of chores then ran to a grocery store with MOH.

Swal- Beautiful kitchen. The contractor issues seem to be country wide.

Louis- That would have been really scary with Tucker, and I'm glad he's doing well. Nice yard display.

Todd- Happy Birthday.🎂

Sherrel- I hope you can continue to improve. That sounds like a great trip for the spousal unit.

Willie- I remember growing up in El Paso it would snow about a 1/4" once a year around Thanksgiving. The town shut down and school was cancelled.:)

David- Talking to my dad's pulmonologist about RSV she said in the majority of healthy adults it produces cold type symptoms. She recommended the shot for the immune compromised and those with pre-existing lung disease. Dad got his vaccine today.

Mike- Don't worry, once the hormones start to settle down in their 20's they regain brain function again. Ask me how I know?:D

I hope everyone has a good night.

Back to cheese, and my likes and dislikes. In case you were curious or really bored.

Although I am not a cheese Monger as Willie could be with the inventory he has. I do love Cheese, a few cheeses only

I don't like any "stinky" cheeses. Sorry if I am getting too technical. 🤪

No parmesan, or any of those cheeses you sprinkle on.

No creamy cheese, for me. For God's sake what is wrong with that stuff?

In my mind a cheese steak is not a cheese steak with any cheese other than good, hi quality American cheese. Who ever heard of provolone on a cheese steak? In Baltimore no less! In Baltimore it's a sub, not a hoagie, hero, grinder or whatever. Philadelphia can learn from Baltimore about cheese steaks. What's up with the cheese sauce Philadelphia? Is that Cheese Whiz and what is a hoagie anyway? The word hoagie takes away my appetite!

As I said I love American Cheese, white or yellow, I can't tell the difference. I prefer Land O Lakes by far! I've been known to eat Kraft's individually wrapped American Cheese. Or as I call it "plastic cheese." When I want American cheese, "any port in a storm". I will even eat the cheese in the spray can. I won't do Cheese Whiz; a man must have limits. I have also been known to eat Kraft's Velvetta cheese, but that stuff is just weird.

I love cheddar cheese! My favorite is New York or Vermont Extra Sharp Cheddar. White or yellow, again, I can't tell the difference.

Nacho cheese is excellent. It's great on hotdogs with jalapenos!

I don't care for macaroni and cheese. Homemade or from the box. It's not the cheese, it's the pasta. I only like pasta with lots of meat. Or my wife's cabbage pasta.

I love extra cheese on pizza! Therefore, I must like mozzarella, American mozzarella that is. I don't know if I would like real Italian mozzarella made from the milk of a water buffalo and I have no plans to try it.

That brings me to goat cheese. I refuse to eat goat cheese. My wife loves it, I won't even try it!

In my rule book milk only comes from cows!

I was born, raised and lived all my life in southeast Baltimore. We are not known for being gourmets, but we have the best cheese steaks!

It never gets better, but it does get easier to live with. I still feel the pain of losing them all. I also remember the joy of being with them and that far exceeds the pain.
Well said. Our current family are all pretty young and will likely out-live my wife and I but I've said that last goodbye way more times than I would like. That is one thing that doesn't get any easier with practice.

And I'm uncertain some canines lack much in verbalization skills. One of our boarder collies would likely argue that point-the middle one.
51991225728_1dc1c46dc6_b.jpg

Well said. Our current family are all pretty young and will likely out-live my wife and I but I've said that last goodbye way more times than I would like. That is one thing that doesn't get any easier with practice.

And I'm uncertain some canines lack much in verbalization skills. One of our boarder collies would likely argue that point-the middle one.
51991225728_1dc1c46dc6_b.jpg
OMG - Triple Trouble ... I'd love a BC, but I realize that my lungs will no longer keep up[!

On a lighter note, we have these two criminals:

I think the guy on the left came up with the excuse...

...while the dog on the right is the accomplice. "I can't believe we're going with this...."

"No, no...no. They're buying it. Hang in there buddy! We can sell it!"

Attachments

• Two Guilty Dogs.jpg
    Two Guilty Dogs.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 30
Well, four out of the 8 doors are here, with one side painted each. Three more had to be special ordered. No 26-inch wide doors in stock... That doubled to cost of those three doors Bah...

for the girl who really wanted to spend her bonus money on this project, she's letting a bunch of details slip. There were inventory/price sticker strips on the side of each door. She forgot they were there and painted over them... Caught it and told me about it. about 15 minutes with goo-gone and a razor scraper took care of each one.

And, one of the doors had a round circle of paint drops - looked like the door above it wasn't totally dry in the primer booth when they stacked them. The circle was the same size as the pre-bored door knob hole. Yep... wife painted over that instead of asking for some sandpaper.

I used the razor scraper and knocked the paint drops off, then ran her foam roller over the spot a few times. I'll hit it with some sandpaper tomorrow between coats.

Oh, and since it's too chilly in the detached garage to do the painting out there, I found a good use for the train table and game table since I don't have any track or scenery installed yet.

Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 7.00.44 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 7.00.30 PM.png

I did discover with my new circular saw (just a Craftsman brand) that putting the blade in the right side up makes it cut much better. :eek: So the wife wasn't the only one not paying attention. 🤪

With all the other stuff I got going The kitchen, Train room drop ceiling, New cabinets for the old bathroom and getting rid of my jet pump for a submersible well water pump. With that I have to run an electrical wire in the ceiling over my train layout and out through the foundation to a junction box. That requires me to dig an 18-inch deep, 30 ft trench to the well casing for the underground wire to run. Drilling a 1-inch hole through the block foundation was not easy even though I have a 1 inch diamond hole saw bit.
Swal

well_power_12_16_01.jpg

I'm here waiting for my tile contractor to show up. He only worked 3 1/2 hours yesterday. He tells me he's tired of working and wants to retire. He's 62. I need him to finish. Same thing with my carpenter friend, comes here and only works 4 hours. Tells me he's tired of working. Both say their broke and need money. He's 43. What ever happened to the 8 hour day? This is the reason why I try do as much as I can myself. I guess I should have done the tile. Save money and got it done faster.
Swal
I only worked 3-4 hours when I was painting the SIL's kitchen and living room........ But that was after an 8 hour day at work. 🤪

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back