Running Bear's December 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Clear and 37°, a bit cooler than the forecast showed. A few days upcoming with sunshine and 60's then the forecast shows rain every day starting Thursday at least through Christmas Day. Temperatures though, will remain in the 60's, so no white Christmas here. We have had them however, the most recent was in 2012, preceded with one in 2009. 2012 was mostly hail though, but in 2009, there was 1'-2' drifts in nearby fields. That was a real exception to our normal. We're due again but it won't be this year. We don't get much snow here, and anything over 1" causes traffic havoc everywhere. We get ice more often which of course is worse.
Meanwhile the rain/mist yesterday stopped around noon leaving me with just 0.7" in the gauge. Today will be sunny with a 10-12 mph south wind which will dry off most of the ground surface. I ended up not having to start a fire in the heater, so my dry wood inside remains.

Most of yesterday morning was spent assisting my wife with house cleanup for the holidays. Not sure why it had to be done as we are not expecting visitors! Mostly I had to move stuff around so the robotic vacuum cleaner could be programmed for each room, and run in the process. I think that we can now tell Alexa to vacuum certain areas like back hallway, and the vacuum will automatically start up and head in that direction. The vacuum's name is Rosie, named after the Jetson's robotic maid.

Yesterday was the first test of my new roof that I got a few weeks ago. Seemed to have been successful.
IMG_1117.JPG

It was also nice to get the cars washed for free!

Tonight is a trip to Dallas for my granddaughter's birthday dinner at some restaurant; I don't know which one yet but I suspect a certain Italian one. All I know is that Grandpa usually picks up the check. My other daughter and family generally show up as well since it's a freebie.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I just painted things. I did some more colors on the many stone fence pillars for the cemetery, almost finished. I did a few more colors on the Beverly Hillbillies. I am almost finished. Note that four of the six characters are able to stand upright unassisted, a rarity for HO scale figures without bases.
IMG_1112.JPG

Note Granny's jug of medicine in her hand.
I need to do Jethro's hat, Jane's hair and shoes and Elly May's hair and shirt. I will have to take liberties with the shirt like I did with Jethro's, since I can't paint the plaid patterns that they wore.
hillbilly.jpeg

Going to be looking at detail parts and scraps to see if I can duplicate the horn on the truck.

Curt - All of the original Beverly Hillbillies pictures that I found on the Internet, as well as my hazy memories, have Granny in the back seat behind Jethro who is the only one that I remember driving. When they made the movie with Jim Varney and Chloris Leachman, she did ride up top according to one picture that I saw. I did not see the movie, although I have read that Pearl was portrayed.
James - I knew about most of those on the list of celebrities, but there were a couple of surprises. One who is not listed is retired Dallas Cowboy running back, Emmitt Smith. I met him during a home layout tour in the 90's; it was not his layout, but he and the host said that they operated together on the host's layout regularly.
Swal - Thanks for the recognition.
Louis - Good to read about Tucker's recovery.
Troy -
Somebody poke Sherrel, his bacon plate is getting cold.
Ain't nothing wrong with cold bacon in my book.

Billy Gibbons, guitarist for ZZ Top is 74 today. I think that today may also Todd's (ctlibby) birthday. EDIT: He just posted and confirmed it.
Happy Birthday Todd. You're younger than Billy!;)

Everyone have a great Saturday and a wonderful weekend.

I'm here waiting for my tile contractor to show up. He only worked 3 1/2 hours yesterday. He tells me he's tired of working and wants to retire. He's 62. I need him to finish. Same thing with my carpenter friend, comes here and only works 4 hours. Tells me he's tired of working. Both say their broke and need money. He's 43. What ever happened to the 8 hour day? This is the reason why I try do as much as I can myself. I guess I should have done the tile. Save money and got it done faster.
Swal

"Wow Troy you’ve got yourself a project. Instead of the circular saw though and with the amount of cutting maybe look into the price of a Delta table saw instead of the hand held circular one. I always found my table saw to be more accurate."

Look at "market place" -- I have a 40 YO Sears 10" table saw that I paid $45.00 for. Thing weighs a ton, but cannot be beat! Also have a 10" DEWALT radial arm which I bought new in 1965. I need to ditch one or the other ... just cannot decide which one?

Good Morning All!
31F @87% and overcast. Piddling of snow for the last week that goes away later in the day.

I start my 72nd orbit today. Maria got us a motel in town right across from a steak place so we can eat, drink and be merry. This one does NOT have hot tubs in the room as I did for her BDay. No complaint because of that but the price was the same; go figure.

Mac&Cheese: Here is a simple recipe for those that dabble. This is almost too much for her and I.
1 cup mac
4 slices American Cheese ( Pasteurized process )
1/8 cube of butter
1/8 cup of Milk or Sour Cream
Pepper and Garlic ( cheese is salty so probably not needed )

Start a small pan, 1/2 the butter, milk and those cheese slices on low to get stuff melted. Move it around in the pan to reduce the chunks.

Mac in a 'nother pan and put HOT water in covering the Mac with about 1/2 inch over. On stove until the mac gets to your consistency. I usually let it froth up once, then slide the cover over a bit and let it froth up again. You are in the ballpark on consistency - soft, but firm and won't fall apart.

When Mac comes off stove in about 15 minutes, rinse with hot water and drain. While draining, other half butter the bottom of that pan and swirl it around. Put Mac it then stir to get it buttery. Add cheese mix, stir and cover turn heat off and let it sit for 15ish minutes to coagulate everything. You know you did it right when it 'crackles' when stirred.

Of course, you can mix it up. 2 slices of Swiss or whatever else you like. Want mo? Just remember to do the same ratio with the cheese, butter and milk.

We also slice up various sausage types, shrimp, bacon, ham, black olives, mushrooms.... or the like to put in.

My Fav was CostCo Italian sausage, black olives and mushrooms. I was cutting up Pastrami to freeze for sandwiches and Maria walked by wanting Mac&Cheese for dinner. Welp, had end pieces that are too small to slice so I chunked those up and replaced the CostCo sausage with the Pastrami - new Fav!

Later
Happy birthday

DAVID - It's going to be 25C here today with mostly sunny. I hope that DAWN is feeling better!

TODD - Happy Birthday - Hope you score!

The Spousal Unit was serenaded by the Great OAK HS band yesterday morning. She has been an avid supporter of the band as the oldest GS is in the marching drum unit and she will be traveling to ROME with the band as they are scheduled to perform in a New Year's parade in ROME.
There was about 60 members showed up on our front lawn yesterday morning. Lots of neighborhood folks were looking on! She and I were both flabbergasted, it was a complete surprise!

I have the hungry's this morning MEL -- A garbage omelet is in order with another side of bacon. Bring TROY a plate too!

I'm here waiting for my tile contractor to show up. He only worked 3 1/2 hours yesterday. He tells me he's tired of working and wants to retire. He's 62. I need him to finish. Same thing with my carpenter friend, comes here and only works 4 hours. Tells me he's tired of working. Both say their broke and need money. He's 43. What ever happened to the 8 hour day? This is the reason why I try do as much as I can myself. I guess I should have done the tile. Save money and got it done faster.
Swal
I have an 7 story apartment building I am converting into condos. Started the demo in October. I finally had to hire a Crew of college students from a fraternity to do the demo work. The demo companies were too busy because they said, lack of staff. That was after they bid and got the project. The fraternity works noon to 6. But, we had to mark all the walls VERY VERY CLEARLY as to what stays and goes. They rotate based on who has classes that day and are much more reliable than the craftsmen. It took them 6 weeks to do 2 floors but it got done. They now are on the 5th floor and hoping to be done this week before college break. Other than 1 going for stitches at the ER it’s been ok!

The craftsmen started in November after the top 2 floors were opened up. 16 apartments turning into 6 condos 2 floors high. After 1 month which included the week off around Thanksgiving they have 1 condo famed. The elevator people, we r on the second company. The first that got the job had people quit which basically has put them only in the servicing of elevators. The 2nd company is swamped with work. They will start weather permitting on the new elevator shaft in February. Remodeling the 2 elevators already in the building is scheduled for May.

My onsite project manager is so frustrated with it all he’s saying this is his last job. But this one probably won’t be 100% until late 2025. My day to day involvement is a phone call everyday to see how things are going. Once a week I pop in to console the project manager and to remind him, this will enhance your retirement fund. He’s 50!

Regardless of how one feels about the subject, someone on a TV show asked if toy stores should be required to have "gender neutral" toy sections, in addition to toys for girls and toys for boys. No one seemed to come up with such toys. Well, I have an idea...how about model railroad stuff? Only problem I could think of is that the adults who picked them out might wind up "playing" with them more than the kiddies!

Morning folks,

Another bright day in SW Montana's paradise. The valleys are looking to be brown for Christmas here too. I've observed it a couple times the past, about a one in three decade occurrence. Once, early in my skiing career in the middle 60's someplace, Bridger Bowl couldn't get open until Christmas day. And its Christmas present was a deluge of rain starting about 2 pm which ended the season for another month. I didn't make out too well on the season pass that year.

Yesterday I retrieved my UTV tire/wheel from the tire shop and swapped tires around on the RZR with the spare back on the tire carrier. Ready to go again but that may be a few months in the future with the additional unknown of whether or not my wife will actually be able to still do that by then. At the present time, I don't think there is any way I can get her in or out of the two older Jeeps I have that are driveable (1955 CJ 3B and 1968 CJ5).

I finally had to hire a Crew of college students from a fraternity to do the demo work.
Tom when I was 62 and had 6 months to go to secure my healthcare (Union paying my healthcare 1 year after retiring, then Corba 18 months, then Medacare at 65) the union called me for a demo job. I said, OK then thought about it after being hit in the head with a 2X4 on the last floor of the 50 story job I had just finished. Maybe I should just retire now before injuring myself on some demo job. So I called the union back a told them call someone else I'm retiring. So I went without out any pay for 6 months rather then get injured on some demo project. Best move I ever made.
Swal

LOUIS, Your locomotive needs to shave - It has a beard!
I followed Hughie. I created that with Microsoft's AI. I had to, even Willie "Mr. I Love Technology" has used it. ;)
I start my 72nd orbit today.
Happy Birthday Todd!
1702745446889.png

I created this one with Microsoft's AI as well.
Edit: I just realized the AI left out the N in BNSF. DOH!
One more time, still not right, but you get the idea.
1702748311057.png

Mac&Cheese: Here is a simple recipe for those that dabble. This is almost too much for her and I.
1 cup mac
4 slices American Cheese ( Pasteurized process )
1/8 cube of butter
1/8 cup of Milk or Sour Cream
Pepper and Garlic ( cheese is salty so probably not needed )
My grandson loves Macaroni and Cheese. I'll show your recipe to my wife, she has been talking about making it homemade for him, thank you!

I'll assume you use Land O Lakes Butter and Cheese, my personal favorite.
Meds are up to 18 a day - some of them twice to kill this virus!
Feel better this morning morning
I don't care what you take or how many. I'm just glad you feel better!

Last edited:
Good morning, all! The sun has just broke through and temps heading up from the 55 we started with. We received 1 1/2" of rain overnight. The long range forecast, 10 day, is looking iffy for a nice Christmas Day.

White Christmas - Rare as hen's teeth. However we did have one in 2004.

Todd - Happy Orbit Day. I can only eat Mac & Cheese cold. I just can't eat it hot.
Sherrel - 18 meds. With interactions between drugs you must be spreading them out, taking pills on the hour.
Trailrider - Lionel was making model trains for girls in the mid 50's. They had a pink locomotive in a set. Guess they were ahead of their time.
Willie - Maybe a piece of cyclone fence might make an acceptable grill.

I'm working on a flat car load of pipe. Pics went complete.
From the archive:
1702747797499.jpeg

STAY SAFE (remember grandmas and grandpas can get run over by reindeer)
LATER

Louis - Good to read about Tucker's recovery.
Thank you, Willie. The old dog is important to us. He is like a son to us. A sometimes goofy crumb snatching son, but a son none the less.

When we lost Sophie 10/2/23 or 10/3/23 (we aren’t sure because she passed away peacefully in her sleep during the night) I was reading online looking for something, anything that might comfort my wife and me. I came across this "Losing a pet can be hardest of all because they are so much a part of our everyday lives." I found that hard to disagree with.

So far old Tucker is beating the odds. If things worsen, we can increase his medication. As it is he is doing well with less than half of the maximum dosages. But these things can change quickly, the vet tells me. I see each day with him as a gift from God.

I feel we were blessed to have Sophie and Tucker. I feel the same about all the pets/children I have had.

Thank you, Willie. The old dog is important to us. He is like a son to us. A sometimes goofy crumb snatching son, but a son none the less.

When we lost Sophie 10/2/23 or 10/3/23 (we aren’t sure because she passed away peacefully in her sleep during the night) I was reading online looking for something, anything that might comfort my wife and me. I came across this "Losing a pet can be hardest of all because they are so much a part of our everyday lives." I found that hard to disagree with.

So far old Tucker is beating the odds. If things worsen, we can increase his medication. As it is he is doing well with less than half of the maximum dosages. But these things can change quickly, the vet tells me. I see each day with him as a gift from God.

I feel we were blessed to have Sophie and Tucker. I feel the same about all the pets/children I have had.
Our pets are like 4-legged children with poor verbalization skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back