Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Happy New Years Eve. Clear and 46°, another fine day in store for us. Should be an excellent day for doing stuff outside in the sun. I get mildly depressed when I don't see real sunshine for more than a couple of days.
Spent much of the day yesterday doing household stuff, laundry, emptying the dishwasher, replacing a pull chain mechanism for the light in a 42 year old ceiling fan, cleaning all ashes out of the wood-burning heater since it had been off for two days, and finally outside to spread those ashes over the garden in preparation for early spring planting in 5-6 weeks. Farmer's Almanac says February 9 is the first day for planting onions, which are first in my garden. The new moon in January is just a bit too early from my experience.

Normally in my first post of the day, I review and comment on the previous day's posts. Not today. I agreed to help my 80 year old neighbor move some stuff around in his barn at first light this morning, that's in about 15 minutes so I need to get dressed.
I'll be back in a bit. Everybody take care and have a good morning.

It's what was Baltus, before they sold out about 4-5 years ago. Now owned by an investment group out of Va that owns gas station/c-stores across the country.
I wish the trip to Mass was for leisure. My uncle passed away this week & his wishes were to have his ashes spread in the ocean. His family had a beach house(house is no longer there) near Fall River & that's where his Dad's ashes were spread. He had the same wish. I looked into the train & we can take Amtrak from Tomah to Boston for roughly the same fare as flying out of Milwaukee or MSP, with half the driving distance to catch the train. His passing was not unexpected, as he was 85, fought 3 different cancers in the past 2 decades. Side effects from the chemo treatment for abdominal cancer did a number on his body. He was hospitalized with bilateral pneumonia since Thanksgiving. He wanted to die at home, so he was discharged on hospice & passed away the next day. I looked at rail vs flying & there's only about a $20 difference for roundtrip from Tomah vs MSP or Milwaukee. With the train, we would take Empire Builder to the Windy City & then Lakeshore Limited to Boston. 80 minutes vs 2-1/2 to 3 hours drive to catch a flight.
The picture below is from his IMDB(Internet Movie Database) profile. In addition to being cast in Hannah & Her Sisters and Wall Street, he was also an extra in Crocodile Dundee. He was in the scene where Dundee checked out of the hotel where the newspaper out him up. A taxi stopped at the hotel, the passenger exited the cab & went into the hotel. The camera picked up Mick as he was coming out of the hotel. My uncle filled the role of the taxi passenger. At the time, the family did not know that he was in the film. My sister saw it in the cinema with her boyfriend. She noticed Uncle Dick & exclaimed, "hey- that's my uncle!!". Her BF reacted with a "pfft- yeah, riiiight" look. That Thanksgiving, UD confirmed that he was, in fact, in Dundee.
Curt- I worked at a 7-11 many years ago that was right next to a public school & a Catholic one. Between the 2 schools, the RC church & since being the only c-store in town, we stayed quite busy. This one is the busiest store of our chain in town, since we only have one competitor within a couple miles.
Chad & Patrick- One of my sisters & I are a year and a 1/2 day apart. When Mom went into labor with me, she says she kept telling me that
I had to wait til midnight. When we were kids, on her birthday, my sister would tease me that she was 2 years older than me. Now that we're older, I throw it back at her("ha ha, you're 2 years older than me").
Glad you got the job and within a decent distance. I was unaware Baltus sold out and that it wasn’t to Riiser or QuikTrip.

Sorry about your Uncle. Good story about him and the movie.

Good morning fellow modelers. Just another day except that it is the last day of the year. 20f degrees now heading into the high 30’s. Same for Sunday and for Monday, Tuesday the weather app is saying high 40’s. I got a feeling we will be paying down the road for this nice weather.

Confirmed yesterday the moving company will be at the house on Tuesday morning by 8. Confirmed with the cleaning company they will be here at 1 on Tuesday. This really feels real now. The closing is Wednesday and we don’t have to attend, so I won’t.

Some bench time today. I may go a few miles and see the grandson play hockey but definitely tomorrow as it’s only a mile away. Terry asked me to look over the year end financials for our stock market and my 401k stuff. That shouldn’t take too long. So not much to my day, enjoy yours.

Good morning all, crows are up and really cawing today, we are headed for 32F and they are talking 12" snow for monday-tuesday. uh.

TomO - wonder if this new system will be hitting you? looks like a doozie unless its all hype

Read a story on the internet about the insulin fiasco. Health care is a problem in the whole world, as I understand it.

I am off for 3 days, will be working on the layout, cross country skiing on our trails, watch a little tv...

Started on this project filing the edges, getting ready to paint:
cornerstone r.JPG

goes here on the layout:

location for bldgs.JPG

in real life there is a street (US highway 61, the one Bob Dylan sang about)

here is the scene in reality, however my version will be 20 or so years later:

Wyoming street scene.png

The brick bldg across from the depot is the cornerstone saloon/hotel. Still stands today. In older pics there is a frame bldg there. cars date the pic, also power lines

Will also be putting in a grocery store where the white building is, not room for a street, however, will have to fudge it

later, Dave LASM

I picked up a subscription for my wife a few days ago and the pharmacists said it's a $1,004.00 for those 16 XARELTO pills. With our insurance we only paid $47.00.
Swal
The wife's Rinvoq will cost over $500 in January, and place her in the donut hole...in February, it will cost $1500, and push her into catastrophic. After that, it will be $253/month for the rest of the year. Had to find a new Part D this year,because the more favorable Teamster Part D was discontinued. Horizon Blue had the best market plan, but ... Rinvoq is a $6000 / month retail drug. The alternative is infusion. I use Trelegy, which will put me in the donut hole in October. I need to revisit the Medicare web page, the new legislation, may provide some relief, this year, but most likely not until next year. By then, it may change...

Good morning. 52° with light rain, and very dense fog. Forecast is for the Times Square crowd to get wet while celebrating tonight.

Noteworthy, Barbra Walters and Cardinal Ratzinger both Passed overnight. RIP.

I have no plans for today, other than to spend some time in the train room. By the time the ball drops, I should be asleep. Although I expet to be awakened by the neighbors that compete for the loudest fireworks display....For something supposedly illegal, fireworks are even available in ShopRite and Walmart...

Happy New Year to All.

Mara,

Acreage here in the USA is not a difficultly. The further out from a large city the prices go down. 2015 my wife found 1050 acres in a bankruptcy dispute. The property owner had the land taken back by the credit holders.
Many trees on the property and many fall after storms. The trees are cleaned up, cut up, dried and listed for sale. It‘s a sideline not a major business, or rather it has not been a major income provider.
In Holland (little dot on the world map, not even that I think) 1 hectare (100 x 100 meters) is about 75.000,00 euro when its farmland. (1 hectare is 2.47 acres and 1 euro is 1,07 dollar. So 1050 acres would be 411 hectare, worth 30,8 Million Dollar ??? I hope I can not calculate....
Forest ground might be a little less...lets say 25 Million dollar, still not my budget. ;)

As one Senator from Wisconsin pushes for health insurance reforms the other says “don’t get sick”. Seriously he said that and it wasn’t the 15 second sound clip taken out on context. But he won re-election so many voters must feel the same way.

USA healthcare while debatedly some of the best inthe world is unaffordable for most. Very sad

In Holland (little dot on the world map, not even that I think) 1 hectare (100 x 100 meters) is about 75.000,00 euro when its farmland. (1 hectare is 2.47 acres and 1 euro is 1,07 dollar. So 1050 acres would be 411 hectare, worth 30,8 Million Dollar ??? I hope I can not calculate....
Forest ground might be a little less...lets say 25 Million dollar, still not my budget. ;)
I like your numbers but not worth anywhere near that

Good morning all, crows are up and really cawing today, we are headed for 32F and they are talking 12" snow for monday-tuesday. uh.

TomO - wonder if this new system will be hitting you? looks like a doozie unless its all hype

Read a story on the internet about the insulin fiasco. Health care is a problem in the whole world, as I understand it.

I am off for 3 days, will be working on the layout, cross country skiing on our trails, watch a little tv...

Started on this project filing the edges, getting ready to paint:View attachment 158911

goes here on the layout:

View attachment 158912

in real life there is a street (US highway 61, the one Bob Dylan sang about)

here is the scene in reality, however my version will be 20 or so years later:

View attachment 158913

The brick bldg across from the depot is the cornerstone saloon/hotel. Still stands today. In older pics there is a frame bldg there. cars date the pic, also power lines

Will also be putting in a grocery store where the white building is, not room for a street, however, will have to fudge it

later, Dave LASM
Dave. The forecast is dry until next Saturday per the WeatherChannel app.

That looks like another great looking scene you are creating

I've heard people mention a donut hole, but I have no idea what their talking about? I'm only on one drug ATORVASTATIN and my doctor tells me if I give up ice cream, I will not have to take it.
Swal

James - I like the neat, clean appearance in your youtube video. I subscribed!

Here is my latest youtube, shows a bunch of new twisted wire trees, also the back of the layout and features log loads also the smooth action of my SW-1 switcher, is a Walthers model year 1992 I think, I bought it on ebay and painted it for SLCR (my local road name). The steamer is a Varney.

Dave LASM
Groningen, where is that! I was born there (really). Cute to see that name appear in the screen. Yes I know...in USA but still nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back