Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Iron Horseman, I tried hard to keep it flat but just wasn’t happy doing it. I am finding a way to make the over and under work and much more happy! Using a bit of the water wings layout by Layoutvision and the Granite gorge off of Scarm/atlas. I printed off the track plan that you did up and added an inch so far in the corner to give me the extra track to track spacing.
One of the first lay-outs I liked so much was a small one but fairly deep. It was normal height from the ground but the most important part was the narrow gauge "under ground" about hip high. It reflected a mine with a little train running that came up and unloaded at normal level. There was a vertical flat cut into the mountain with some transparent cover. Little ones loved it, since it was easy for them to watched the little trains. It was very nicely done, great theme. So yes you don't have to model a flat country all the time.

Ok, Caught up....

Well besides not feeling good yesterday, I get a call from the local SIL that his car won't start. This is the car we put a new battery in last Friday when it was -5° and wind chill across the front of the car was -31°. It would start. I told him it was a bad new battery. I told him I'd help him after work. He got my battery charger and put the charger on the battery and 3 hours later, when I got there it wasn't charging. I told him the battery was bad. We got it jump started and took the car to O'Reilly's to have the battery tested. Their tester said it was too low to test and that alternator was good. Kid argued with me that the battery was fine and that we'd need to take the battery out and bring it back to test on the bigger machine in the back. We did that, only we put the car in my garage so I'd have the light and tools I'd need to do anything else if needed. We go back and the battery tests good, but needs charged. I still insist that the battery is crap, but the kid behind the counter says it's fine once charged. I asked them to fully charge it on their machine. The machine says it will take an hour to charge, so we make arrangements to come back when they call us that's it's ready. 15 minutes after we leave O'Reilly's calls and says the battery is bad and that they tested replacement for us. Battery replaced and the car starts better that with the last new battery. SIL asked about why it took less time to replace and I told him it was 50° warmer than when we replaced the battery on Friday. it was 45° outside and usually a bit warmer in the garage. Sadly I really hate it when I'm told I don't know what I'm talking about from a kid with less experience than my underwear. I know a lot more about cars than the average bear, but I just can't do a lot of the work myself. Way too many busted up pieces and arthritis over the years. I can honestly say I outlived my warranty...lol

Chad: Interesting train and museum pictures. Again, thank you for sharing them with us.

Shoes, for me I gotta have socks but can't do shoes barefoot, just can't. My personal preference for casual shoes are Nike Air Monarchs...The shoe Nike wants to discontinue, but sells way too many of to stop. My dress shoes are SAS Time Out. Can't stand hard soled shoes since the knee replacements. I usually wear socks around the house as too long in shoes make my feet hurt. Socks are easier to clean than my feet...peel them off and put on a new pair...still have clean feet.
Younger ones could (should) listen to more experienced and older ppl sometimes. Not all the time.... no. But when they are wrong, they could say sorry.

2023 01.gif

Good Morning Again. Temperature has inched up to 54°, headed for 70° today and 80° tomorrow.

Helping the neighbor didn't take long. We moved some toolboxes and some equipment out of the way so he could service his built-in air compressor. Normally his son is available to help him, but he's working today and the next five days including New Years Day. Such is life as a Walmart manager.

My wife informed me this morning that she will be babysitting our granddaughter tonight. Last minute cancellation of her usual sitter due to illness. My daughter is going to a wedding tonight. Who the heck plans a wedding for New Years Eve??? So I'll celebrate alone here at home, like the last 40+ years. Here at least, not alone. I should be able to make it til 9:00 in keeping with tradition. No Champagne though.
Still have no final word on when the body shop will have the car ready. First it was a pressure sensor holding them up, yesterday they texted and said that the wrong headlight had come in. Didn't admit whether they ordered the wrong thing or were sent the wrong one. New due date is Wednesday. Other than the inconvenience of driving an unfamiliar rental, it doesn't matter much. I have rental car as part of my insurance coverage so that isn't costing me extra.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I did a little more ground cover and then ran some trains, many in fact as I haven't done enough lately. Almost all were run on the upper level through the newly ballasted track without any incidents. Not that I was expecting any. Technically I have been testing that trackwork for 4 or 5 years now.
One of my favorite structures that migrated over from my old layout to the new one is a Walther's background building called Parkview Terrace.
Here it is from that layout.
07-30-20 006.JPG

Here are a few close-ups of the action.
05-04-15 013.JPG

Dogs futilely after a cat.
05-04-15 015.JPG

05-04-15 016.JPG

A dice game in the side alley.
05-29-20 015.JPG

Jaz - I never saw Ian Dury, but once in 1968 I went to a small club in Dallas, called The End of Cole Avenue to see a band billed on the tickets as "The New Yardbirds". Tickets were $1.50 each. When me and my buddy arrived, we found that the band had changed their name the week before and were now known as Led Zeppelin. The venue was maybe 1600 sq ft and there was no chairs, but there were a few pillows scattered around the floor. Attendance might have been 200 people. This was a contributing factor in my having hearing aids today.
Interesting that you cannot get the Monk-fruit sweetener in the UK.
Sherrel - Your post regarding the 997 new laws piqued my interest, so I looked some up. Many seem like a real pile of BS. I thought outlawing the so called "Pink Tax" was the most outlandish one that I saw, but I only read about 25 of them. I couldn't find a list of those that he vetoed. Maybe today!
Joe - I dare not look at the portfolio losses for 2022. Although I think that I gained a minor bit back since I last looked. On the bright side, I am making $18/day on one large money market account. Thankfully I have not had to access any retirement accounts yet, so the loss is only on paper right now.
Tom O - Good luck with the upheaval.

Everybody have a great day and be careful if you go out tonight.

Good Morning All!
33F and spitting tiny snow. Supposed to get to 41F bout noon. Only made 38F yesterday.

I had thought I purchased all those light brackets I needed that I told about in a previous post. NOT. Well, I think that I did as I know I had more than 7 .... anyway - ACE again and got enough. Even I looked *everywhere* they were not to be found - guess what? Now that I have more, they will drop outa the sky.

Got a couple of images taken with Cell. Know better as the st00pid phone thinks to long to get a nicely centered image and ya end up with a weighted left or right one. And on top of that, focus is somewhat soft. Anyway: 1st two are Westbound at East Libby ( Front and Back ). 2nd two are in Sandpoint in 2012 of POVA. Not worth putting in Prototype Railroads.
1231220925.jpg

1231220927.jpg

0715201211a.jpg

0715201211b.jpg

Happy New Year!

Later

Happy New Year's Eve Everybody!

I'm "fat and happy" as i just finished a homemade sausage and egg biscuit my beautiful little wife made for me.

Has anyone heard from Ken of the D&J? I hope he is okay.

Troy, I hope you feel better.

I refuse to talk about what this chilly rain does for me. My solution is to ignore it and take a nap. If I can get my old injuries to shut up long enough for me to fall asleep.

Socks, not a big fan, but I wear them always. I even wear them to bed. They are my best defense against old foot injuries flaring up.

Compression socks. a great invention I no longer need, thank God.

Health care costs for retired people? I'm going to ignore that too otherwise I will get very ticked off!

In Maryland we have scammers who turn down work so they can keep their free health care. It sucks, but otherwise it would be like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I've noticed lots of people coming from other states to sop up the gravy in Maryland. The ones I know of firsthand come to Amazon in Maryland. They think $18/ hour is good money. Coming from states with a minimum wage of $7.25/hour, $18/hour is good money. Free health care is a bonus!

If anyone should have free health care, it is retired people. Greed has so much influence over our great nation.
I need to ignore all that!

"I see nothing"
I understand how Sargent Schultz felt.

I do love Maryland! Another example is how easy the state of Maryland makes things. I forgot to renew my vehicle registration. Early this morning I went to a 24-hour MVA kiosk and 5 minutes later I walked away with a newly printed registration and a sticker for my tag!

I need to remind myself "focus on my blessings"

Hobo, it must be an art to have a cooking fire on the top of a moving train! I'll pass on the sock coffee.

Good Afternoon All,

Started out at 66F here with a high of 81F. I did some chores then worked on the layout with the T/O and approach. I just have it tacked down currently. I'm going to let it sit until Monday. I've run a hopper over it but still need to level it and power it up and of course run the diesel consists over it. The curve going to the exit looks much better than it did. After that I helped MOH make chocolate candy and a pineapple upside down cake.

Joe- Nice photo. At least it sounds like you made money this year. Do you have a photo of the new car?

Chad- It sounds like you have done well MRR wise. Great rail photos. How often do you travel to Japan?

Mikey- That's neat about your uncle.

Christian- Nice video. I see the dragon, but where are the Dino's? :D

Dave- Looking forward to seeing how your build turns out.

Willie- Nice mini scenes.

Todd- Nice 1:1 photos.

I hope everyone has a good night and I hope everyone has a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Yesterday was just shopping. Getting ready for our trip home next week. First my Sis-IL took us to Costco (which is like 1 mile away as the crow flies but takes 10 min in traffic). They were worried about the crowds and parking since New Years in Japan is like Christmas in the US in terms of holidays and importance and people shopping and getting ready and traveling. But it was pretty easy in and out. Crowded but not unmanageable. The Sis-IL needed a few things for the NY celebrations and the wife wanted a few things to take home (mostly snacks but also some non snack food items). I ate a "Bulogi Bake" at the food court. It was awesome actually. About $5 and like a chicken bake but with korean style beef and sauce inside instead with cheese. Also cheese baked on top.

We then went home and got ready and we all went out. My son and I went down to "Den Den Town" in Osaka, which was over an hour on transit and walking. 3 trains and I think 3 subways. "Den Den Town" is like the Osaka "electric" town. Not anywhere near as big as Akihabara in Tokyo but similar. Lots of electronics and similar stores (appliances etc), plus maid cafes or similar, some anime, and that sort of thing. Basically a many block long section of a street with this stuff plus some side streets. I wanted to go to "Super Kids Land", a specialty store run by Joshin Denki. Joshin Denkin is you standard Mall and stand alone store like a super best buy but they have these specialty stores in Den Den Town. Super Kids Land is 5 stories of Gundam and similar models, models, a floor for Tamiya (Tamiya World), R/C, Airsoft, and a floor for model trains.

The son wondered off and looked at stuff and went to a different Joshin with videos games and stuff and then went and got himself some curry. I spent a good 90 minutes in the train store. Mostly N, though some H0 and some Z. About 5 or 6 aisles about 50 ft (rough guess) long. Mostly Japanese trains but they also had a section for Euro trains (mostly KATO, Fleischmann, Minitrix/Trix, and Hobbytrain) and also a section for US trains (mostly KATO though they had a bunch of other random freight cars and stuff from others).

I had an idea of what I wanted but overspent by a factor of 2x or slightly more. One item I wanted (a Swiss locomotive from KATO I decided to not get) and ended up with 2 of one thing where I had planned 1 and then a bunch of things I saw at the last minute and put in the basket :)

The first thing is one of those plastic static N-scale models that can be upgraded to be runnable. This is fro the Nankai railway, a private railway in Osaka, and has a "Sumikko Gurashi" livery. Sumikko Gurashi is a very popular, mostly with girls, line of toys. My daughter like Sumikko Gurashi and I have several other trains with it. One of which is the MicroAce Rapi:t from Nankai, the Star Wars looking train you may have seen before -- I got that last summer and now have this new one to join it. (The upgrade parts are below).

View attachment 158881

It had been marked down an additional ¥1000. I noticed that when I was at checkout they were replacing some of my items (that all had anti-theft tracking devices strapped to them) with ones from behind the counter without the devices -- I guess so they wouldn't have to take the device off mine and then replace it on a new one for the shelf.

These next two items were kind of spur of the moment impulse buys The top one is a DEC10 diesel. I already have a bunch of DE10 diesels but this is a special black one and it is used I think as a helper with a specialty site seeing steamer line. However, they use either the same or another similarly black one for another site seeing train that I have and I didn't get the DE10 for it when it was available. I think they're both in the same livery and so I will be able to use this one with my specialty train. The other is a flat car with "Yamato" delivery service containers. I have a bunch of these already but this is a newer version with the newer Yamato containers. I didn't recognize it so I got one just in case.

View attachment 158875

KATO makes a pocket line of generic small trains. With each one being in the $23 - $26 range (after tax free purchase and additional 5% discount -- explained below) at the current exchange rate, I figured a small yard electric and a generic tram wouldn't hurt to have available to drive around the layout.

View attachment 158877

I have one KATO tram at home already I got a close out deal on a year or so ago. I believe t is a Hiroshima people mover one that I already have. I found these two trams to join it (and the Tomytec one I got earlier this week). The white fancy livery one is a Hiroshima tram and the red on is a generic "myTRAM" which KATO makes without any livery in a few colors at a cheaper price. It is the same body shape as the Hiroshima ones.

View attachment 158878

I've posted about my Rhätische Bahn (RhB) Swiss narrow gage stuff before. This store had the "Gepäckwagen" (Baggage Car) for the RhB so I picked that up.

View attachment 158882

I don't do a lot of US prototypes but I do own 4 Union Pacific modern diesel electrics (SD70ACe and ES44C or something -- that is from memory) and my complete set of rolling stock is 5 sets of the 3 car KATO Gunderson Maxi IV 53' well cars and containers, and a few other well and flat cars from other brands. I've been wanting some Gunderson Maxi I 40' sets but everywhere I've looked they've been sold out in the US. They had them here. They display them in a glass case and you tell the guy you want one and he goes and checks if they are in stock and gets you one. These two shown below are both TTX (I see TTX on UP all the time so figured it was safe) and I didn't care which one (two different KATO sets with different road numbers). I showed the guy at the store and said (in my best simple English), pointing to the two sets they showed (the two different numbers) and said I wanted one of those, and I didn't care which one. He comes back with both. I thanked him and said I would take one of them. He handed me both. I said I really only wanted one. He handed be both. So I said, "I guess I am buying both" and thanked him... Language barriers can be a pain sometimes LOL.

View attachment 158883

Last time we were in Japan we went on the "Hiei" "tourist" train on the Eizan railway in Kyoto. That is a small private railway that runs two lines (single line that splits) on the outskirts of Kyoto up into the hills to a temple area and some other area. We rode this last time and I found one of the Tomytec static models in N-scale that is upgradeable. So I got that,

View attachment 158884

Of course I added to my container collection. Except for the yellow "Post" one and the "Coop" labeled one (those two are Rhätische Bahn Swiss containers and I already have the KATO flatcar set with containers, but a couple to have on the layout in the yard would be good), they are all Japan containers. Even the pink "ONE" is an ISO 40' container but made to fit to the Japanese KoKi flat cars -- Tomix and KATO use a different system for Japanese containers than is used in the US for model railroad containers on N scale.

View attachment 158880

Here are the parts to upgrade the static models (the Nankai, the Hiei, and the blue tram I showed earlier this week). These are the motor units, steel wheels, and where appropriate the folding pantographs to replace the static extended ones.

View attachment 158879

Lastly I found some stickers like you see on Shinkansen or other trains. I figured I could use these to decorate my future train room.

View attachment 158876

(I ran into a "post too long" message when trying to post this so I will put the tax free commentary in a separate post)
I hope you bought big suitcases!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back