Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Happy St Nicholas Day. Clear and 60°, with a touch of fog. Relative humidity is 96% and there is no wind. Rain in the forecast for the next week except Friday, but temperatures will stay around 70° for the highs the whole time. Shorts again today after a high yesterday of 80°. My kind of December weather.

The chimney sweep is supposed to be by this morning, hated to hire him, but my regular guy hasn't been able to come by. He has a regular job as a plumber and has been working 70 hours a week for his company. They pay him more than I do.. His company is working on a 500+ unit apartment complex near UNT that was held up by concrete and lumber shortages earlier this summer. Supposed to open for the Spring semester in January, but it's likely that only 25% will be ready. Hope that they don't have the whole complex already leased.

Thanks for the likes and comments on yesterday's various posts.

Out in the train shed, I continued ballasting. I did 28" more on the passing siding.
View attachment 157267
And I did about 18" on the main both before and after the switch, tying into the existing ballasted track.
View attachment 157268
I skipped over the working parts of the switch for now, as that requires a concentrated effort to do correctly. I just wasn't ready to spend that much time on it yesterday.
View attachment 157269
More to come.

Jeff - Week long gun season for deer seems a little short. In the northern part of TX it's from 11/5-01/01 this year. It's longer in South TX. I haven't heard much activity around here at this time. Of course that's partly because most of the bigger landowners in my neighborhood have a moratorium on deer hunting. Not so with dove and quail though.
Dave B - Hospitals and doctors don't seem to be in lacking around here, but nurses are definitely in short supply. My neighbor is a nurse and her doctor retired and closed her practice. She had over a dozen offers the day the retirement was announced. She settled on a foot doctor and remarked later that she didn't realize that there were going to be so many "dirty old men" hitting on her there. She previously worked for an internal medicine doctor.
Terry -

They do have a habit of posting outdated or unverified info.
Louis - That 54-19 scoring rout in the Cowboys/Colts game resulted in what's called a Scorigami. Never in NFL history has there been a score with those digits. First time that I have heard that word!
Curt - Here's a view of that curve from a different angle. I checked and it's a 32" radius curve.
View attachment 157270

The fog has really set in now, visibility is about 450' or less.
Everybody have a great day.
I don't dare to give any comment, with a lay out like this. 1 suggestion...when you make and paint the tracks like that they all seem very new. Try to make some oily bit in the middle, and mix a little bit of darker ballast to have the idea of older ballast as well. But as I say, WELL DONE.

At the moment its sunny here but all week will be around 5 - 1 C with a little frost during the night.
Not posting any result from my learning curve of Freecad or any progress in modeling. Got to read about 1500 pages of stuff, no fun. We have the palace (house, well a big one for Holland) of our former Queen in the place I live. Its private owned now and they want to make a huge amount of Euro's. I don't want to talk about political issues here, don't want banned. But this is the reason. I do read and watch your posts.

Hello Happy Members !
Is it a real or a fantasy company ? Thanks for your help.

963258.JPG

Morning all,

36° and allegedly foggy out. I didn't see any on the way to work, but there were spots of mist. It may get to 50° later. They are talking rain overnight and some possible ice in the area, but mostly in NW Kansas.

Had to go back to the distant daughter's house to watch the girl's school Christmas program. By distant, they are only a little over an hour away (75ish miles).

Willie: I wish my ballasting looked as good as yours. Mine is still a sloppy mess and although better on the second round, needs a ton of cleanup.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 52° with off and on mist and drizzle. Not much change in the weather forecast until next Wednesday when it will cool off considerably.

Disappointment yesterday when the chimney sweepers did not show up. They got tied up elsewhere before getting to me. They also clean HVAC ducts. Their office manager offered me a 10% discount if I rescheduled for this morning. I told her OK, but they would probably have to dodge raindrops.
Otherwise yesterday was relatively good. I took out the mower and grass catcher and shredded up a few more bags of leaves for the garden compost pile and I split more firewood that I probably won't use until next winter. Sadly in a way, I have too many trunks and not enough branches.

Thanks as always for the comments and reactions to the layout progress.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I plodded on. Ballasted another 30" of main line and about 18" of the loading track.
You can see here the variation in color of the ballast that I use, as per the ATSF track that I used to see. Light gray on the main, gray blend on the passing siding and darker gray on industry tracks. I was told years ago that Santa Fe always used lighter ballast on the mains so it was easier for engineers/conductors to distinguish which track was which at night and in inclement weather.
IMG_2587.JPG

I placed the loading racks in place to determine fit and spacing. I then came to an unsettling realization.
IMG_2584.JPG

The tank cars were not symmetrical, if i lined up the racks to fit the walkways one way, they didn't fit when the cars were mixed in the train.
Bad picture, but I didn't know at the time. Brake wheel on the right.
IMG_2585.JPG

This one lines up, but the next car in line, brake wheel on the left does not. If it was the same orientation as the first, then no problem
IMG_2586.JPG

Note that as I mentioned last week, I do need to dust these cars off.
There's no solution other than to always have the cars in a particular cut facing in the same direction. Not that it really matters much, as I don't intend to have any walkways in the down position other than photo ops.
There is an option when building these loading platforms to connect them together to make a continuous platform by leaving off guardrails and stairways, but I could not do that because then the loading spouts would be too close together to line up multiple cars at once. Ethanol cars are 56' long while oil cars are 40'. Not a big deal except my industry workers will have to climb more stairs. I can't blame any of this on Walther's!!!

Dave B -
Willie - you don't fool around when laying track! I am a bit envious of that large space you have!
The track itself was put down three or four years ago. I am finally getting around the bend to landscape and try to finish up the area. I do not intend to complete the entire 24' x 2' area at one time, as it would overwhelm me. I am just planning on the first 15' for now with the Ethanol processing facility. On the entire layout, there are 12 spaces of this approximate size. I have 8 of them semi-completed, but the track is in place on all of them. Of course I will get distracted during this phase of the building and pop a small project in every now and then. I'll hit an obstacle or have a brain lull like I so often have.
Tom O - All of a sudden, I am again also seeing shortages and back-orders on some hobby supplies. This week, my wife went by the LHS to get me some Atlas LH #6 switches. They were out and didn't know when they were coming in. Quite unusual for them as they generally get cases of them at a time. Last time I was in there, they were out of Tomar metal bumpers and some detail parts. I am not really an Internet shopper so I haven't looked except for the bumpers which seem to be sold out at the few places that I looked. In the meantime I can use those plastic Walther's ones on background tracks.
Guy -
It's a bit chilly around here, with the mercury level sitting on -33F
A bit chilly???
Mara - I am not done with the track yet. After ballasting, I usually highlight some rail sides with various shades of rust and brown, as well as adding oily streaks in the center of the track where appropriate. The rail tops will always be bright and shiny because it represents well used track. For now I am just concentrating on painting and ballasting. I could be getting more done, but I am taking a lot of rest breaks right now because my sciatica is acting up. That and the great weather lately has me doing many chores around the farm. I have been sitting at the workbench reading the latest issue of Model Railroader and painting detail parts.
Patrick - I'll try to remember later today to take some step by step pictures that might assist you with your ballasting. I find it easy and enjoyable. Only hard part will be holding the camera with one hand and demonstrating with the other hand.;)

Today is Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day as Terry alluded to. Full Moon overnight which will still look full tonight.
Everybody have a great day. As the AWOL Karl would say, "It's hump day".

Good morning, a chilly 5° and it snowed during my entire commute, so visibility about 150', drove about 45 mph the whole way. Only added up to a couple inches, I think,

Christian- Clementine was a person in a familiar old time song (Oh my Darling). I suppose it could have been the name of a gold mine somewhere.

Curt - I purchased a reconditioned computer once. It lasted exactly 6 months then simply did not respond. Was a "Toughbook" proved not to be very tough. Will never buy a reconditioned one again, as it was a bit spendy. Since it worked fine out of the box I gave them a good rating. Wish I could go back and change that.

I worked on dulling down my log cars a little, just used some water/white/alcohol. Also added some fine dirt to the bed of the , also some bark, so far I like the way they turned out:

IMG_2937.JPG

The focus is on the back log deck.

more later, Dave LASM

Good morning, a chilly 5° and it snowed during my entire commute, so visibility about 150', drove about 45 mph the whole way. Only added up to a couple inches, I think,

The focus is on the back log deck.

more later, Dave LASM
Snow just starting here - - hope the wife-unit makes it okay into Edina. And the log car and load look great!! Well done!

Man, I wish I could shake this crudola. No fever or headaches, so prob not the return of the 'vid, but cough and emptiness and no energy. Not good. Our church secretary who puts together all the handouts for SUnday morning lost her husband Sunday morning so she is off for a week or so. Leave me to put things together. And it is SUnday School Program Sunday so I get to work with a few snippy femmes. Fun, fun, fun. Feeling like the proverbial hammered dog-poo does not help.

Anyone hear of Rick Steins? WHen wifeykins was sicck she watched his cookery show on India. Man, we loves some Indian food! So she bought his book - I bought a Karahi, and we visited the Indian grocery Monday. Plan to cook through the book. I cooked CHicken Vindial last night. Gawd, it was tasty, if I say so myself! But that wiped me out energy-wise and was in bed by 2015. Up at midnight, back asleep circa 0300.

No time for the modeling, so nothing to report on that front. I did try to run my switcher for a few minutes to get a 'boose off a yard track and onto the cabby track and was thoroughly deflated at its sputtering and stalling. Time to clean track.

Those of you who attend church, please pray for your pastors/priests. Lots of pulls on us guys this time of year.

Steve J

... Those of you who attend church, please pray for your pastors/priests. Lots of pulls on us guys this time of year.

Steve J
We see it at my church also. Lots of people asking for the free stuff. A little background check shows many of these people are well off and just tryin to get the free stuff.
At a previous church, I heard a guy bragging about conning several churches for turkeys and dinner fixing along with Christmas gifts. I dropped a dime on him to the county and learned that he had numerous scams going with them as well.
The morality of society is sinking in many ways.

Good morning modelers. No rehab this morning as I have an appointment today with the Orthopedic doctor. I am amazed how quickly though things are getting better. The therapist told me though while I feel good the knee is still in recovery and not to push it. She also said at my age the process is just longer then a fit athlete in their 20’s. I am not pushing it but I now have a walking stick instead of cane type crutches. She said she expects that I will come home wearing a compression knee brace.

The only thing the weather weenies got right yesterday was we were going to have weather. 31f degrees now heading to 39. They say there is a dense fog out there but I can see the daughter’s roof a mile south of us across the low valley.

The son in law this week is working with Isabel as she continues to learn the ropes of the property. Today those 2 and 5 of the ground crew are installing new fencing for the horses as I continue to tweak the property boundaries. It really goes fast once they get started. The posts showed up 2 weeks late and the fence rail was shipped short and is back ordered into January. While we don’t know actually what we will be building for our last house, I know where it goes. I am being pushed by the architect, the wife and daughter to build it bigger then the 1800sq ft Terry and I sketched out. Better chance of selling it down the line. I am thinking, I don’t care about down the line…

The afternoons have been spent cutting in a driveway to where the house will sit. The logging guys (stable grooms who can handle a chain saw) are happy, lots more logs to cut into firewood. Firewood sales have exploded this year, more then double with increased pricing over last year. They get a cut of every dollar received.

I was asked yesterday by Isabel who never she says really knew her mom or dad in Mexico to walk her down the aisle. I was very happy but I said I need to meet the groom she laughed, no groom! She is marrying the Vet. I guess I missed that part. I have no issue with that and it was a good thing we accelerated her on the job training to manage the property.

Terry and the Vet yesterday went to Key West, Iowa for a Rescue meeting. It also was to introduce the Vet.
(who is known to the group) as the new to be owner of the stables. It also was to assure the group the monthly rescue rides here on the property will continue. Terry said it wasn’t the most pleasant of meetings but the agreements were signed for 2023 and 2024. There are no January rides due to uncertain weather or November ride because it would fall on Thanksgiving. But the last Thursday of the other 10 months being set and for 2 years is very good. When Terry was asked if she would be at the rides her answer she said was “doubtful”. She probably will be but she wanted the group to understand who would be running it here.

I have rambled enough. Terry is taking me to the Post Office and then to the Orthopedic appointment

enjoy the day

What a pain this all is. The town wants no less then 2 detailed drawing of the construction plan.
I just realized the placement of the 3 inch toilet vent becomes a problem with the framing. I have to include all the measurement's so there are no conflicts between the toilet, sink, shower, and the floor joints they sit on. Here's the updated plan.

Bathroom_Project_walls_side_view_28.png

Good morning!

That evil Arctic low that swung in yesterday decided to part ways overnight. It headed back up to the frozen wasteland from whence it came and leaves us with the mild temperatures of 0 degrees F. That's some 30 degrees warmer than yesterday.
So, I can walk the dog again today. That'll make her a happy pooch.

The wife and I argued yesterday over who's going to renovate our homes main bathroom; me or an expensive contractor.
Guess who won that fight.
An overly expensive contractor will be coming over today to look at the job. The women say's I take too long to do anything.

rgeiter - the shield looks great. An appropriate choice of colours.

Dave - I like the looks of the log load on the flatcar. Well done!

Willie - The tank car issue seems like a minor problem. But!, it bothers the ell out of me when I make mistakes like that. It turns into something I know, and won't go away. I hope it don't affect you like that.

Sorry folks, no photos today. The argument and the -30's weather just seemed to destroy my joy of yesterday, and I didn't take any photos.

Have a great day!

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 52° with off and on mist and drizzle. Not much change in the weather forecast until next Wednesday when it will cool off considerably.

Disappointment yesterday when the chimney sweepers did not show up. They got tied up elsewhere before getting to me. They also clean HVAC ducts. Their office manager offered me a 10% discount if I rescheduled for this morning. I told her OK, but they would probably have to dodge raindrops.
Otherwise yesterday was relatively good. I took out the mower and grass catcher and shredded up a few more bags of leaves for the garden compost pile and I split more firewood that I probably won't use until next winter. Sadly in a way, I have too many trunks and not enough branches.

Thanks as always for the comments and reactions to the layout progress.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I plodded on. Ballasted another 30" of main line and about 18" of the loading track.
You can see here the variation in color of the ballast that I use, as per the ATSF track that I used to see. Light gray on the main, gray blend on the passing siding and darker gray on industry tracks. I was told years ago that Santa Fe always used lighter ballast on the mains so it was easier for engineers/conductors to distinguish which track was which at night and in inclement weather.
View attachment 157338
I placed the loading racks in place to determine fit and spacing. I then came to an unsettling realization.
View attachment 157339
The tank cars were not symmetrical, if i lined up the racks to fit the walkways one way, they didn't fit when the cars were mixed in the train.
Bad picture, but I didn't know at the time. Brake wheel on the right.
View attachment 157340
This one lines up, but the next car in line, brake wheel on the left does not. If it was the same orientation as the first, then no problem
View attachment 157341
Note that as I mentioned last week, I do need to dust these cars off.
There's no solution other than to always have the cars in a particular cut facing in the same direction. Not that it really matters much, as I don't intend to have any walkways in the down position other than photo ops.
There is an option when building these loading platforms to connect them together to make a continuous platform by leaving off guardrails and stairways, but I could not do that because then the loading spouts would be too close together to line up multiple cars at once. Ethanol cars are 56' long while oil cars are 40'. Not a big deal except my industry workers will have to climb more stairs. I can't blame any of this on Walther's!!!

Dave B -

The track itself was put down three or four years ago. I am finally getting around the bend to landscape and try to finish up the area. I do not intend to complete the entire 24' x 2' area at one time, as it would overwhelm me. I am just planning on the first 15' for now with the Ethanol processing facility. On the entire layout, there are 12 spaces of this approximate size. I have 8 of them semi-completed, but the track is in place on all of them. Of course I will get distracted during this phase of the building and pop a small project in every now and then. I'll hit an obstacle or have a brain lull like I so often have.
Tom O - All of a sudden, I am again also seeing shortages and back-orders on some hobby supplies. This week, my wife went by the LHS to get me some Atlas LH #6 switches. They were out and didn't know when they were coming in. Quite unusual for them as they generally get cases of them at a time. Last time I was in there, they were out of Tomar metal bumpers and some detail parts. I am not really an Internet shopper so I haven't looked except for the bumpers which seem to be sold out at the few places that I looked. In the meantime I can use those plastic Walther's ones on background tracks.
Guy -

A bit chilly???
Mara - I am not done with the track yet. After ballasting, I usually highlight some rail sides with various shades of rust and brown, as well as adding oily streaks in the center of the track where appropriate. The rail tops will always be bright and shiny because it represents well used track. For now I am just concentrating on painting and ballasting. I could be getting more done, but I am taking a lot of rest breaks right now because my sciatica is acting up. That and the great weather lately has me doing many chores around the farm. I have been sitting at the workbench reading the latest issue of Model Railroader and painting detail parts.
Patrick - I'll try to remember later today to take some step by step pictures that might assist you with your ballasting. I find it easy and enjoyable. Only hard part will be holding the camera with one hand and demonstrating with the other hand.;)

Today is Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day as Terry alluded to. Full Moon overnight which will still look full tonight.
Everybody have a great day. As the AWOL Karl would say, "It's hump day".
Willie

my local pusher says he is having lots of shortages. Mainly though he and I talked Silfor static grass, wheelsets, styrene and glues. The Tamiya glues have been back ordered 2 weeks in a row and CA’s are being shorted.

TV news in our area does a monthly grocery survey. Besides prices still going up, there are empty shelves in the Madison area grocery stores. The reporter said they blame it on just about everything. The drought out West, lack of OTR truckers, California rules, lack of store employees. One comment was the older folks coming back to work in the grocery stores are not as quick as the kids still in school, but that the kids in school are not applying like they used to. At $17.00 per hour I would think a high school or college kid would jump at that for 3 hours at night. One of the things mentioned is the grocery delivery guys who used to deliver to the store docks are now also stocking the shelves and that is slowing things down. Booze for the holidays though is in good supply…

Good morning!

That evil Arctic low that swung in yesterday decided to part ways overnight. It headed back up to the frozen wasteland from whence it came and leaves us with the mild temperatures of 0 degrees F. That's some 30 degrees warmer than yesterday.
So, I can walk the dog again today. That'll make her a happy pooch.

The wife and I argued yesterday over who's going to renovate our homes main bathroom; me or an expensive contractor.
Guess who won that fight.
An overly expensive contractor will be coming over today to look at the job. The women say's I take too long to do anything.

rgeiter - the shield looks great. An appropriate choice of colours.

Dave - I like the looks of the log load on the flatcar. Well done!

Willie - The tank car issue seems like a minor problem. But!, it bothers the ell out of me when I make mistakes like that. It turns into something I know, and won't go away. I hope it don't affect you like that.

Sorry folks, no photos today. The argument and the -30's weather just seemed to destroy my joy of yesterday, and I didn't take any photos.

Have a great day!
Guy, Guy, Guy

When will you learn women have a different logic then their husbands? I still haven’t but I digress. It wasn’t an argument it was a discussion that the other side knew going in they would win!

Just don’t watch the installers, it will drive you nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back