Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
More scenery practice. Added a guard rail and sign that I designed and printed. The letters are raised so I painted white and then dry brushed the letters black.

Attachments

• IMG_20211213_161412288.jpg
    IMG_20211213_161412288.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 78
I think I'm going to get an old ipod touch, download the app, and leave it in my toolbox. I'll use that to clock in and out. They may wonder why I never leave the building, but they also won't be able to watch everything I do on my day off.
I was going to suggest a second phone or a burn phone, preferably one with a virus every time they access it to check the location.

Good evening. My services will not be needed by the court tomorrow...All I have to do is check in after 6 tomorrow for Wednesday's schedule.

After hardly drinking any coffee, last week, I went overboard this morning with four cups before 11AM...ten hours later, I still feel the jitters.

Terry: Not for nothing, you're new employers suck...that app sucks...the whole idea sucks. I like your I-pad touch idea.

SC - South Chester - Tower.jpg

Close-up of a partially completed PRR Tower (SC) on my bench. still have some detail work, glazing and paint before it's ready for decals.
Overbrook Tower.JPG

One of the prototype towers, this one, I believe may still be in Service, Amtrak Overbrook, on the Keystone Line in Philadelphia.
Winslow Tower.jpg

Another, Winslow (PRSL), on NJT's Atlantic City Line, is no longer in service.

Good evening Shop Dwellers! I know it's been quite a while - almost a week, maybe(?) - since my last post. Looks like there's been a huge amount of activity on here, I've only had time to read the last 4 pages. I don't have anything useful to add to any of the conversations about taxes, voting, etc...

Patrick - bummer that you were compelled to go in on a trouble call while sick!

Willie- Reading about your lack of handrails stirred up these images.

View attachment 136775

View attachment 136776
View attachment 136777
View attachment 136778

Jesse - those photos must have been shot over in China, where life is cheap...[!]

There's been essentially no model train activity in my life since the last time I posted here. (Notice I said model trains - more about that in a minute...) The past 5 days were a whirlwind of activity, with my eldest daughter and SIL putting their house on the market and wanting to use our house as the day care facility for the grandson. This required a lot of rearranging and decluttering, so that was where most of my time went on Wednesday and Thursday after I clocked off from work. Friday, at the end of my workday, MOH and I were whisked to Penn Station in Baltimore where we caught the 5:48pm Amtrak "regional" to New York City to spend the weekend with our youngest daughter.

It was actually quite an enjoyable trip since it was my first time spending more than a few hours passing thru Manhattan. First place we visited was the "Cloisters" art museum; then we went to the Rockefeller Center to look at the 75ft Christmas tree. SWMBO led us on a tour of every floor of Macy's (think, nine (9) Walmarts stacked on top of each other). Sunday began with Mass at the historic St Patrick's Cathedral; I wanted to visit the Lego 5th Avenue Store but the line to get in was prohibitively long, so we just went on to Central Park. That was all the time we had before we needed to head back to our daughter's apartment and pack our stuff for the trip home.

Now I'm just decompressing from the weekend...

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Last edited:
I think I'm going to get an old ipod touch, download the app, and leave it in my toolbox. I'll use that to clock in and out. They may wonder why I never leave the building, but they also won't be able to watch everything I do on my day off.
Yeah good idea. Pretty sad that they want to know your location every minute but I am sure they covered all the legal bases.

You could always when you arrive turn the location tracker on and when you leave turn it off.

TomO

He also says he has lost his interest in his trains😢.
Curt: That's sad, but understandable. He has been through a lot. Hopefully, when he gets his other eye done, - and he can see better - his interest will rekindle.

I was thinking last night about Garry and the others that have passed and that I miss their postings.
I especially miss Garry's postings and musings. His modeling work was exceptional.

Today, I happened to check the privacy settings on my phone. The new company uses an app to clock in and out, and this is what the app says it has to do. I'll let you look carefully at the image, and think about what it means...

View attachment 136859

So, the company is not trying to track you every minute, or even where you go when off the clock. You should be wary and suspicious, but iOS (iPhones) only have 4 levels of location tracking, as seen in the image (none, once, while in app, always), and as you said this is to be used for clocking in/out. Do they want you to go into the app when you arrive and manually clock in from the app? In that case, you don't need "always" -- just "when using app" and their purpose is to make sure you really are at work when you clock in. They can verify that you weren't clocking in while at home or on the road.

If they auto-clock-in when you arrive, and auto-clock-out when you leave, even if you aren't in the app, then they need to have "always" so that the system will wake the app up when you cross their "fence" they've set up and it will know to clock you in or out. If the app us not running it can't do this for you unless "always" is checked.

Apple is actually pretty serious about stopping location privacy abuse and enforce policies against un-needed tracking and actually make it hard for an app to ask for "always" permission. The first time an app asks it won't get "always" even if the app requests it -- the phone will ask the user for either one-time or while using the app. It eventually will ask the user to upgrade to always if the app is persistent about asking. But again, the need for always is so that the system will wake up or launch the app in the background when you cross a location-fence so it can react to your location, like auto-clock you in or out.

My day job is writing apps for the iPhone for a medical services/device company and we ask for "always" because we need to be able to query for the nearest WiFi information in order to be able to locate you (app user) inside the hospital. We aren't tracking you and aren't even using any location passed to us -- just to get specific information about WiFi networks you have to have "location" permissions, and for us to be able to do what we need to do we have to ask for it though we don't use any GPS or other location data. (Apple requires "location" privilege for getting details about a WiFi network as that WiFi network can be used to locate you in the vicinity).

If you get an iPod touch and install the app, and leave it in your toolbox (which I assume stays on premise), if they are auto clocking you in, you will probably show as never leaving or arriving at work :)

Good morning Everybody!

Holy mackerel Andy! I forgot to turn on the coffee pot!

My Angel (wife) sets up the coffee pot every evening. It's an automatic Mr. Coffee, but using the timer is almost useless for me. I seldom ever wake up at the same time of day.

I'm feel like the luckiest man alive, I get to spend all day every day with my Angel. I even take her with me when I do Amazon! She is a huge help with that, she is the best! The only time we are apart, she sleeps 8+ hours a night, I sleep 4-6.

Has anybody tried T-Mobile's 5G home internet?

I get great 5G service at home on all three of my T-Mobile phones, I thinking of trying the home internet. I ran the online speed tests and my phones are compatible to my Comcast home Internet. One phone test was even faster. I have Comcast's fastest and most expensive internet service. It think it might be time to "cut the cable" and save over $200/month. My grandson tells me we can stream almost anything that is on cable. Not to mention I get great reception with my old school antenna.

Another busy day on tap. I thought I might take it slow this weekend, but my side gig/physical therapy, Amazon was offering too much money to pass up and I need the exercise. I love Christmas!

When I started with Amazon five years ago they had one distribution center in Baltimore. I cut my own deal with the station manager. Now they have 14 distribution centers and they change managers so fast I can't keep up with who is where! My exclusive deal has expired. Now I only work when they send me offers that pay enough to motivate me to get off my ass. I don't do anything for less then $50+ an hour, except for friends and family. I don't get to my pick of routes anymore, but fortunately they have so many lame duck company drivers and contractors I can almost always finish my routes early. By finishing early I usually make $100/hour+. Not bad for delivering packages. Like I have said many times. "In America you can make a good living doing anything if you are smart about it and willing to do your job.
Many contractors get deactivated because they regularly bring undelivered packages back to Amazon. Not being able to pick my routes means I now get stuck with downtown apartments occasionally. They are the hardest to deliver and sometimes require several attempts, but I get them done. I hate downtown apartments and if you know me I seldom use the word hate. But "I keep my mind right" I try not to think how much I hate downtown apartments and I deliver all my packages with a smile. After I'm done and on my way home I think "I hate those downtown apartments!" When I'm working I'm always professional and courteous. When I'm done I can be the real me. 😁
That is all from me. Thanks to Amazon I'm behind on my primary job, but I needed the exercise!

Have a great day Everybody!

Good morning Everybody!

Holy mackerel Andy! I forgot to turn on the coffee pot!

My Angel (wife) sets up the coffee pot every evening. It's an automatic Mr. Coffee, but using the timer is almost useless for me. I seldom ever wake up at the same time of day.

I'm feel like the luckiest man alive, I get to spend all day every day with my Angel. I even take her with me when I do Amazon! She is a huge help with that, she is the best! The only time we are apart, she sleeps 8+ hours a night, I sleep 4-6.

Has anybody tried T-Mobile's 5G home internet?

I get great 5G service at home on all three of my T-Mobile phones, I thinking of trying the home internet. I ran the online speed tests and my phones are compatible to my Comcast home Internet. One phone test was even faster. I have Comcast's fastest and most expensive internet service. It think it might be time to "cut the cable" and save over $200/month. My grandson tells me we can stream almost anything that is on cable. Not to mention I get great reception with my old school antenna.

Another busy day on tap. I thought I might take it slow this weekend, but my side gig/physical therapy, Amazon was offering too much money to pass up and I need the exercise. I love Christmas!

When I started with Amazon five years ago they had one distribution center in Baltimore. I cut my own deal with the station manager. Now they have 14 distribution centers and they change managers so fast I can't keep up with who is where! My exclusive deal has expired. Now I only work when they send me offers that pay enough to motivate me to get off my ass. I don't do anything for less then $50+ an hour, except for friends and family. I don't get to my pick of routes anymore, but fortunately they have so many lame duck company drivers and contractors I can almost always finish my routes early. By finishing early I usually make $100/hour+. Not bad for delivering packages. Like I have said many times. "In America you can make a good living doing anything if you are smart about it and willing to do your job.
Many contractors get deactivated because they regularly bring undelivered packages back to Amazon. Not being able to pick my routes means I now get stuck with downtown apartments occasionally. They are the hardest to deliver and sometimes require several attempts, but I get them done. I hate downtown apartments and if you know me I seldom use the word hate. But "I keep my mind right" I try not to think how much I hate downtown apartments and I deliver all my packages with a smile. After I'm done and on my way home I think "I hate those downtown apartments!" When I'm working I'm always professional and courteous. When I'm done I can be the real me. 😁
That is all from me. Thanks to Amazon I'm behind on my primary job, but I needed the exercise!

Have a great day Everybody!
Louis, you are the 1st Amazon delivery driver I have heard say your job is good. The delivery guys on So. Central Wisconsin do say they wish seniority would allow them to pick the routes. Also, they claim there are too many delivery people making it tough to make a f/t living

Do you own the vehicle you deliver or do you need to rent from Amazon? Not that I wjould want to do it, but it sounds interesting.

3 attempts to lay down to sleep have failed. Hopefully in the next few minutes.

While I am weathering the items that belong in the recycling yard and it’s empty I took some pictures
0DE4B1CC-805D-4005-8584-1455748D1CCA.jpeg
32008BFA-CFC0-4E43-A286-220544D47F33.jpeg

I decided while this is empty to encvision it as my engine facilitY. There is enough room for at least 6 and possibly 10 locomotives. I envision just a small facilities with no heavy duty capabilities. But it was just a thought.
TomO

Good morning y'all.

Flo- Coffee and bacon please. And turn the heat up a notch or two. It's 30 outside. Tell Mel to stop being so cheap, the traffic has been heavy lately, so I know the monthly profits are up. 😄

No real news to report on the modeling front other than getting the interior of The Row painted. Still waiting on detail parts to arrive and need to get a soldering iron before messing with the LEDs.

Thanks for the likes on the funny pics. No idea where they originate, but all would definitely warrant an OSHA shutdown and investigation.

I'm going to take my coffee and bacon to the corner where it is a balmy 90 degrees. After I thaw I can find a different spot to enjoy my breakfast.

Y'all have a blessed day.

Today, I happened to check the privacy settings on my phone. The new company uses an app to clock in and out, and this is what the app says it has to do. I'll let you look carefully at the image, and think about what it means...

View attachment 136859
You have to put this app on your own personal device? That's crazy! I can see them putting that on a company owned device, but I can't believe they actually get by with requiring employees to own a device to put it on.

Just checked the status of my detail parts order. It is in-country and not stranded in the Pacific. Yay! Looks like it has been transferred from one carrier to another at JFJ, so hopefully it'll be here soon. Looking forward to finishing up the service station. Well, "finishing".

Good morning all! 30 degrees here, heading for a day of cloudy and 54. Needing lots of coffee this morning as I didn't sleep well for some reason.

My youngest granddaughter came over and spent the evening with us yesterday so she could avoid traveling to her brother's out of town basketball game. She and my wife made chocolate chip cookies that were awesome. Had some of those after an amazing dinner of fried chicken, mashed taters and gravy and green beans. Needless to say I was stuffed by the end of the evening. Had a lot of fun hanging out with my granddaughter.

Tonight I'm going to the monthly model railroad club meeting. I started the Crawford County Model Railroaders back in 2016 and it's still going today. Smaller group than it once was, mainly due to one member passing away recently and a couple others getting to the point in life where they have trouble getting around. Still, we have a core group of around 8 people and others who come and go from time to time. We have one young boy in the group and he's infatuated with trains. I'd love to find some more kids to join up with us older guys to keep the club going after we're all gone. The main part of the group range from late 30's to late 60's generally. I'm 56, so I hope to be around for a good while yet but ya never know.

Time to get ready for work. Hope you all have a great day!

Good morning. It's clear and 30.
To answer the questions I saw above:
I have to manually clock in/out using the app. If I don't manually punch, I don't get paid.
We are required to put the app on our phones.
The building is geofenced, meaning I pretty much have to be standing at my toolbox in order to clock in and out.
I tried setting the location to "while using", and the app won't work correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back