Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all,

Feeling better after a light supper and sleep. I was out by 7pm. Back at the office, so stuff is kind of back to normal.
Still a bit weird if I move too quick, but some would say I'm weird anyway.

Currently 45° and breezy this morning, going for a near record high of 70°. Winds picking up through today and tomorrow with high wind and red flag warnings out for the next 36 hours. Overnight low tonight of 60° with a record high tomorrow in the upper 70's. Winds gusting to 65mph expected. Don't I just love little house on the prairie? o_O

Good Morning All. Foggy and 57° at this location. Forecast has changed a bit, it won't be as warm as originally projected, but 75° is still my kind of weather. Tomorrow should be warmer. Rain maybe later in the week from the atmospheric river out west. The current fog had eliminated all possibility of seeing the Geminids meteor shower overnight. Tonight is the possibility to see the comet Leonard in the SW sky between Venus and the horizon just after dusk.
1639481503273.png

Lots of nighttime viewing this week. Probably need some 10x50 binoculars for the comet though.

Busy day yesterday in the yard. I split a few more stumps and pruned/cut a couple of medium branches on a bur oak tree in the "back 40". Those logs are just 3"-4" in diameter but will go well with the 8" logs that the splitting is producing. Those bur oak branches were drooping and swatting me in the face when I mowed around the tree. No aches or pain his morning.
I later proceeded to fix a nicely medium rare prime rib roast for supper along with sweet potatoes, carrots and asparagus. Wife made the gravy. Absolutely delicious. I got the 4.25 lb. roast from the "manager's special" shelf for $8.50, it was originally marked as $32.79. The sell by date was actually the day after I bought it. I still have another one in the freezer, but much larger.
Today I am taking my wife to a 9:00 doctor visit to have her staples removed, maybe. There was still some minor bleeding when Staci changed the dressing Friday, although not when I changed it Sunday. For her first two surgeries the original doctor used glue and there was no scar. The revision surgeon used stitches for the removal and staples for the replacement and she fears that there will be a scar. I am not sure that the scar should be a concern to a 72 year old person.

I'll take a Western Omelet this morning Flo. Extra bacon on the side with a tall cool OJ.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the brewery, and also the Golden Dragon; Christian, James, Steve J, Karl, Patrick, Dave, Hughie, Curt, Gary, Louis, Tom, Rick, IB Ken, Guy, Tom O, Sherrel, Jaz, Joe, Tom H, OB Ken.

I returned to modeling out in the train shed yesterday. I overlaid the ground foam from Saturday to fill in a couple of blank spots as well as extending it over the existing foam that was put in six or seven years ago. They just didn't match. I don't remember if I used a different blend back then or if it just discolored over the years.
IMG_0035.JPG

I trimmed up, painted and mounted the ladder and safety cage on the corn oil tank.
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG

Then I moved next door and added a gravel parking area to the trading post nestled between the brewery and bakery.
IMG_0033.JPG

After that, it was time to cook supper.

Sherrel - Is the atmospheric river helping at all with the water situation out there? I am still in awe that Kalifornians think 1" of rain is a major storm! I need 4" to call it a storm, anything less is just a shower.
Ken (D&J) - Yea! I had never heard of an atmospheric river until recently.
Tom O - I too still have the task of purging in front of me. Problem is most of it is in the attic and the only access is by ladder. I know that there is at least four boxes of old college textbooks from my wife up there as well as a large accumulation of children's toys. One underlying issue is that it's either too hot or too cold to be up there - wasn't an issue when I was younger. At least the attic has no water leaks!
I have begun to have sleep issues as well, except mine are on the other end. I fall asleep within a minute or less when I lie down, but after the second bathroom break about 5-6 hours later, I cannot go back to sleep. Annoying to say the least. The catch-up nap at 8:30 am interferes with my day.
Patrick - Another Allan Sherman fan here. Dad had all of his albums which I now possess. And yes, I still have a turntable! Glad to read that you're feeling better.
Curt - Sad to read the update on Phil. Maybe getting his eyesight renewed will spark his interest again. I also miss Garry's posts.
Jaz -
Mine once forgot mine…I had a total hissy fit….
After reading your posts for ten months, I can imagine that scene!;)

Everyone have an awesome day. Stay safe.

Cold.jpg

3F as I must prepare to shovel snow, with the storm not yet fully passed. I'll probably be out there for 3hrs today, shoveling away to put things back to where a person can walk.

Here's a couple of pre-storm photos I captured yesterday, when I went downtown to shop for food.
CN 5788_SD 75I_12-13-2021 (1).jpg

CN 5665_SD 75I_12-13-2021 (1).jpg

The one cup I have time for is gone, so I have to get out there. The neighborhood kids will be trying to get to school.
Have a great day!

Good morning y'all. Sunny and mild this morning, heading up to the mid 50s.

The local gas utility, has apparently decided that either we don't use enough gas, or that the meter is defective, and we are "cheating them". They want to set up an appointment to allow them to change the meter (outside), then gain access to relight the pilot on the appliances...in our case, only the water heater.They also want assurances, that we will provide their employee with a Covid free work environment....
The letter, is threatening, sort of like a collection letter, which sort of pissed me off, and they insist I call them, and an active contact source, and current phone number...Ha! The hazards of paperless billing. They e-mail me a bill each month, that is on auto pay, so they do have my contact. The number they have on record...hasn't been active in over 12 years, when we went wireless, and dumped the land line...Think I'll wait for a second notice, before I call them....just to be spiteful. :rolleyes:

Willie: The ground cover makes a difference. Nice work as usual.

Wife informed me that we need to do some last minute shopping.....surprise...so it will be nice to get out for a while. Later on, I'll spend time on the layout.

Later.

Well, Howdy there internet MRR people wondering why atmospheric rivers only seem to pick on Sherrel.

It's Troy again.

Too many cookies have been crying out for attention in our place. The scales cried out for a different reason when I stepped on it this morning.

We're in a midwestern stretch of good weather for December... so I'll head out for a walk in a moment. Discovered a new podcast by a reformed politician, Congress Critter Joe Walsh (no, not the one from the Eagles). I'll put him in the earbuds and give his White Flag pod a listen to get some steps in while it's warm(ish) and sunny. Later in the week, Joe and I will be relegated to the treadmill.

Back to the layout revision. I decided I'd check my notes and see what my inspirations for the old layout were. Found these two from Model RRer:

Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 8.46.58 AM.png

and

Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 8.49.46 AM.png

Now, both of these won't work in the current configuration. I need an L shape, not a U.

But, I'm playing with the right side of the U eventually appearing as a shelf switching yard. I just have to have clearance under it to store my gaming table.

I don't need nor want a roundhouse. Nor do I want a lot of switching like in the Missabe one. But I like the flow of both. Just need to crank them down to fit my zoned section.

Birthdays:

Once when on my last ship in the Navy, I was getting wifeykins a custom made ring with some loose stones her sister brought up from Brazil. Her birthday fell on a Wednesday but our ship was scheduled to be out to sea returning Friday. So I requested a Friday pick-up. Sea time cancelled. Calls the jeweler in a panic - - - - no dice. Lived through H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks for 36 hours with only a very feeble, "Remember, we were celebrating Friday," to stave off the fiery beast. Packed up the kids Friday evening and drove to a fav place that just happened to be in the same strip center as yon chosen Jewelers. Not sure how, but we ended up going in to browse a bit.

Wifeykins calls to me, "Honey come here. They have a ring with a stone a lot like that one we got from Paula!" "Oh?" replies I.

Proprietor offers to show it to her and the twinkle in his eye, and the same in mine and the sun began to burst through the clouds, and I was a hero again.

Law's sakes, what we do for our honey-pies. But we've been together for almost 38 years and she is my one and only.

Then on the way home, we saw the Rhode Island Portsmouth local crossing on it's run back to Providence [mandatory entry of train into above story which had nothing to do with trains.]

Yeah good idea. Pretty sad that they want to know your location every minute but I am sure they covered all the legal bases.

You could always when you arrive turn the location tracker on and when you leave turn it off.

TomO

Depending what you signed when you were hired? I would have some legal issue with this.....wouldn't you? I certainly would not condone this app on my personal phone. My company that I work for wanted me to share my personal number for work related use I said no. They had to provide me with a phone. They were not happy about it but that was all negotiated when they hired me. I do not mix personal life with business life. So ya I carry 2 phones when I am at work. When I leave for the day that phone is off by 7pm and never on during the weekend....they have access to me M thru F.... 7am to 7pm that's it. My previous company had me 3 weekends a year but that was the last time I was on call for weekends. Nope I am to damn tired to ever allow myself work weekends again. Life is short. I used to in my 20s thru 40s and got paid premium but now not anymore nope.

Good morning. It's clear and 30.
To answer the questions I saw above:
I have to manually clock in/out using the app. If I don't manually punch, I don't get paid.
We are required to put the app on our phones.
The building is geofenced, meaning I pretty much have to be standing at my toolbox in order to clock in and out.
I tried setting the location to "while using", and the app won't work correctly.

Lazy programmers...

Well, Howdy there internet MRR people wondering why atmospheric rivers only seem to pick on Sherrel.

It's Troy again.

Too many cookies have been crying out for attention in our place. The scales cried out for a different reason when I stepped on it this morning.

We're in a midwestern stretch of good weather for December... so I'll head out for a walk in a moment. Discovered a new podcast by a reformed politician, Congress Critter Joe Walsh (no, not the one from the Eagles). I'll put him in the earbuds and give his White Flag pod a listen to get some steps in while it's warm(ish) and sunny. Later in the week, Joe and I will be relegated to the treadmill.

Back to the layout revision. I decided I'd check my notes and see what my inspirations for the old layout were. Found these two from Model RRer:

View attachment 136883
and

View attachment 136884
Now, both of these won't work in the current configuration. I need an L shape, not a U.

But, I'm playing with the right side of the U eventually appearing as a shelf switching yard. I just have to have clearance under it to store my gaming table.

I don't need nor want a roundhouse. Nor do I want a lot of switching like in the Missabe one. But I like the flow of both. Just need to crank them down to fit my zoned section.
I like both those layouts, Seriously thinking of uprooting what I got after I check on radius and turnouts for that Missabe Junction…

Good morning: We have something for the record books from the current administration!

Producer Price Index Grows The Fastest It Ever Has!​

The atmospheric river has arrived. Predictions are for upwards of TWO FEET of snow near and around Big Bear Lake.
It has been raining lightly here for a couple hours -- so far.

It's Troy again.

View attachment 136883
and

View attachment 136884

Where can I find actual track plans for layouts like these? Or do you think it best to put your own personal touch to your layout, not quite following the plan?

You guys with the "phone app" discussion remind me of an actual occurrence some 40 years back.
The company required every crew member to have a contact number and if one were on reserve standby (subject to immediate callout), one was to be within 2 hours of report time. SOOOO! Don, a famous guy for toe-ing the carpet in the GMF office on a regular basis) gave crew schedule the number of the pay phone in the hallway right outside the office. Neeedless to say, he was called in several times over the fact that he never answered his phone until one day when they were trying to reach him -- another scheduler just happened to be walking down the hall and answered that pay phone! Best I can recollect, Donnie received some time off without pay for that one.

Where can I find actual track plans for layouts like these? Or do you think it best to put your own personal touch to your layout, not quite following the plan?

If you subscribe to the magazine, they make most of the recent track plans available online, and have all of the old magazine issues online too. A normal subscription is a small price for all that knowledge. :)

Good Morning All. Foggy and 57° at this location. Forecast has changed a bit, it won't be as warm as originally projected, but 75° is still my kind of weather. Tomorrow should be warmer. Rain maybe later in the week from the atmospheric river out west. The current fog had eliminated all possibility of seeing the Geminids meteor shower overnight. Tonight is the possibility to see the comet Leonard in the SW sky between Venus and the horizon just after dusk.
View attachment 136875
Lots of nighttime viewing this week. Probably need some 10x50 binoculars for the comet though.

Busy day yesterday in the yard. I split a few more stumps and pruned/cut a couple of medium branches on a bur oak tree in the "back 40". Those logs are just 3"-4" in diameter but will go well with the 8" logs that the splitting is producing. Those bur oak branches were drooping and swatting me in the face when I mowed around the tree. No aches or pain his morning.
I later proceeded to fix a nicely medium rare prime rib roast for supper along with sweet potatoes, carrots and asparagus. Wife made the gravy. Absolutely delicious. I got the 4.25 lb. roast from the "manager's special" shelf for $8.50, it was originally marked as $32.79. The sell by date was actually the day after I bought it. I still have another one in the freezer, but much larger.
Today I am taking my wife to a 9:00 doctor visit to have her staples removed, maybe. There was still some minor bleeding when Staci changed the dressing Friday, although not when I changed it Sunday. For her first two surgeries the original doctor used glue and there was no scar. The revision surgeon used stitches for the removal and staples for the replacement and she fears that there will be a scar. I am not sure that the scar should be a concern to a 72 year old person.

I'll take a Western Omelet this morning Flo. Extra bacon on the side with a tall cool OJ.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the brewery, and also the Golden Dragon; Christian, James, Steve J, Karl, Patrick, Dave, Hughie, Curt, Gary, Louis, Tom, Rick, IB Ken, Guy, Tom O, Sherrel, Jaz, Joe, Tom H, OB Ken.

I returned to modeling out in the train shed yesterday. I overlaid the ground foam from Saturday to fill in a couple of blank spots as well as extending it over the existing foam that was put in six or seven years ago. They just didn't match. I don't remember if I used a different blend back then or if it just discolored over the years.
View attachment 136876
I trimmed up, painted and mounted the ladder and safety cage on the corn oil tank.
View attachment 136877View attachment 136878
Then I moved next door and added a gravel parking area to the trading post nestled between the brewery and bakery.
View attachment 136879
After that, it was time to cook supper.

Sherrel - Is the atmospheric river helping at all with the water situation out there? I am still in awe that Kalifornians think 1" of rain is a major storm! I need 4" to call it a storm, anything less is just a shower.
Ken (D&J) - Yea! I had never heard of an atmospheric river until recently.
Tom O - I too still have the task of purging in front of me. Problem is most of it is in the attic and the only access is by ladder. I know that there is at least four boxes of old college textbooks from my wife up there as well as a large accumulation of children's toys. One underlying issue is that it's either too hot or too cold to be up there - wasn't an issue when I was younger. At least the attic has no water leaks!
I have begun to have sleep issues as well, except mine are on the other end. I fall asleep within a minute or less when I lie down, but after the second bathroom break about 5-6 hours later, I cannot go back to sleep. Annoying to say the least. The catch-up nap at 8:30 am interferes with my day.
Patrick - Another Allan Sherman fan here. Dad had all of his albums which I now possess. And yes, I still have a turntable! Glad to read that you're feeling better.
Curt - Sad to read the update on Phil. Maybe getting his eyesight renewed will spark his interest again. I also miss Garry's posts.
Jaz -

After reading your posts for ten months, I can imagine that scene!;)

Everyone have an awesome day. Stay safe.
Usually he has a n excuse why no card,one year I got flowers,just flowers it was a Sunday he had forget so I got like 6 bunches of flowers,I usually Do something personal that takes ages e.g he was the railway office radio who dragged me in so the railway mural, and he loved the comics so a painting,things that take thought and time because I love him

Attachments

• 5D40A4C6-FF79-4035-B9E3-64DCF2BA9239.jpeg
    5D40A4C6-FF79-4035-B9E3-64DCF2BA9239.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 64
  • B580DD92-1124-4F7E-A2B6-BF8AD7285E36.jpeg
    B580DD92-1124-4F7E-A2B6-BF8AD7285E36.jpeg
    509.6 KB · Views: 67
Good Morning all! Just a quick howdy from here. On our way out grocery shopping, boy having some fun now. Anyway I was looking at Troy's plans and thought I'd throw one out there. if I had the space this would definitely be the one I'd build.
BBL
STAY SAFE
LATER

1639503260402.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back