Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Happy Modelers !
New day, new track plan...as usual.😀 You can also laugh if you want. No problem.😄

122.jpg

123.jpg

124.jpg

Afternoon All,

Another long day in the train room. I finished the first of 3 sections and then did the first ballasting step on the next 3 tracks. MOH came into the train room this morning and looked around a bit then asked, "what are you doing tomorrow?" which I knew was wife speak for I want you to do something else other than working on the layout. :rolleyes: I volunteered to drive her about 40 minutes away to a Sherwin Williams sales rep for color samples for our HOA (MOH is president). The local SW store couldn't be bothered with it. Anyway, so most likely no train room time tomorrow.

Christian- I have one of those (not Chessie) and it's a good runner.

Troy- Both are nice plans. I think the Carlyle Division would be the easiest to modify.

Guy- I really enjoy train photos in the snow. I don't know why because I hate snow. It's a mystery.

Jaz- I totally understand. When I turned 60 my daughter (adult) forgot my birthday. I didn't want a gift; I just wanted a Happy Birthday phone call from her. I was actually a little hurt that she forgot.

Smudge- Nice looking locomotive.

Willie- Everyone needs access to Chinese takeout (meow)! :D Nice looking scenery update.

Joe- That will be a nice-looking addition. Is it the Walthers Pennsy tower?

IB Ken- It sounds like you and your wife had some nice quality time.

TomO- That area should work as an engine facility for diesels. It may be problematic for steamers and turning them (I don't know if you have any).

20211214_112337.jpg

20211214_112002.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Depending what you signed when you were hired? I would have some legal issue with this.....wouldn't you? I certainly would not condone this app on my personal phone. My company that I work for wanted me to share my personal number for work related use I said no. They had to provide me with a phone. They were not happy about it but that was all negotiated when they hired me. I do not mix personal life with business life. So ya I carry 2 phones when I am at work. When I leave for the day that phone is off by 7pm and never on during the weekend....they have access to me M thru F.... 7am to 7pm that's it. My previous company had me 3 weekends a year but that was the last time I was on call for weekends. Nope I am to damn tired to ever allow myself work weekends again. Life is short. I used to in my 20s thru 40s and got paid premium but now not anymore nope.
Depending on my contract with the company I doubt I would let this app on my phone. Like I said I have issues with this but will assume (yep I know) that they have checked the legality of this.

My SIL is a HR expert, consultant and currently is in Las Vegas this week to do a company turnover like Terry is going through. He will be back Saturday but I will text him asking his thoughts on this. I think this is too invasive to be put on my personal phone.
TomO

When I started with Amazon five years ago they had one distribution center in Baltimore.
Question:
Do those "How was your delivery" questions (see below) do the driver any good if I give a thumbs up?

Our Condo neighborhood is weird, in that we all have privacy-fenced patios, which is where the driver pulls up to. I put a sign on my 6ft tall gate asking that all packages get placed inside on the back stoop. Takes an extra minute at most to do so. No dogs to worry about.

If they do so, I'm always smashing the thumbs up for them.

Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 3.13.46 PM.png

Is it the Walthers Pennsy tower?
Curt: Yes. Nice accurate model. BTW. Walthers has announced another PRR tower, to placate Lines West Fans, as part of their "General" theme.
I find it interesting that an organization that called itself "the Standard Railroad of the World", would have so many different designs for interlocking towers and stations.
Trivia: Did you know that the PRR had two "Bell" Towers, one on the Eastern Region at Belleview Delaware, and one at Bell haven, PA on the Central Region. Both controlled interlockings on 4 track Main Lines, and were in close proximity to rivers. The structures, as I recall were not the same design.
Brown Tower PRSL.jpg

Another tower from the plan that Walthers modeled, PRSL Brown Tower in Woodbury NJ. This tower has a one story addition, to house logic boards for a remote Interlocking, which makes it different from the stock plan.

Louis, you are the 1st Amazon delivery driver I have heard say your job is good. The delivery guys on So. Central Wisconsin do say they wish seniority would allow them to pick the routes. Also, they claim there are too many delivery people making it tough to make a f/t living

Do you own the vehicle you deliver or do you need to rent from Amazon? Not that I wjould want to do it, but it sounds interesting.

3 attempts to lay down to sleep have failed. Hopefully in the next few minutes.

While I am weathering the items that belong in the recycling yard and it’s empty I took some pictures
View attachment 136872View attachment 136873

I decided while this is empty to encvision it as my engine facilitY. There is enough room for at least 6 and possibly 10 locomotives. I envision just a small facilities with no heavy duty capabilities. But it was just a thought.
TomO
I think Amazon is fantastic! I have been doing it for over 5 years now. I am an independent contractor, (one man show, well, my wife rides with me 😁) an Amazon Flex driver. I drive my own vehicle. I am my own boss. Once I pick up my block (route) Amazon will never bother me. Unless i screw up or take too long and that has never happened. I feel as though I ultimately work for the customers. I choose when and where I work. I only accept high paying offers. Works good for me because early mornings (3:30-4:00am) weekends and holidays are when the highest offers are available.

The thing with being an Amazon contractor (Amazon Flex) is there is no full time, they never have offered full time. When we sign up Amazon specifically says Flex is part time. They could end the entire program tomorrow. No one should count on Flex as their primary income. Flex drivers only get offers when the vans can't meet demand. With the exception of same day delivery, that is all done by Flex drivers, as of now.

Amazon has several different types of drivers, Amazon employees, Flex drivers and those who work for subcontractors and maybe more I know nothing about. I use to know the managers personally, but since they have expanded I don't know anyone. Amazon goes through people like water, managers, employees, Flex drivers, contractors, anyone and everyone. Be great or be gone. The pace and stress of working for Amazon makes many quit, many more get fired or in our case, Flex, deactivated.

Amazon employees, some are full time, but they also have many more part time and many seasonal drivers.

Subcontractors, almost anything goes. Those drivers look like Amazon employees, often drive Amazon vans or white vans or even rental vans. They work for subcontractors who control pay, and benefits, etc.

Amazon sets policies, procedures and standards for all drivers regardless of who they work for. We all use the same app to make our deliveries.

Like other workers some Amazon drivers are lazy, stupid and unprofessional. Many deactivate/fire themselves. Too many want a pay check, but don't want to work.

Amazon has high standards and I love that! I'm not exposed to the stress. I pick up my route and deliver my packages. I do 2-3 blocks a week, maybe. It's keeps me active and it's fun! Its especially fun at Christmas time. I love the lights and decorations. It's almost like being Santa and the people are nice. I also enjoy seeing and visiting with all the dogs.

Question:
Do those "How was your delivery" questions (see below) do the driver any good if I give a thumbs up?

Our Condo neighborhood is weird, in that we all have privacy-fenced patios, which is where the driver pulls up to. I put a sign on my 6ft tall gate asking that all packages get placed inside on the back stoop. Takes an extra minute at most to do so. No dogs to worry about.

If they do so, I'm always smashing the thumbs up for them.

View attachment 136898
Troy, they recently started counting compliments. I'm not sure what good they do, but the alternative can get drivers fired.

Personally I'm always happy to see and follow those kind of instructions. Package theft is a real concern in almost every neighborhood. Drivers are charged with an infraction when packages are stolen.

Thank you on behalf of all Amazon drivers who follow your intructions!

My late cat, my little Noel bit an electrical cord when she was a kitten. Like an idiot I grabbed for Noel before unplugging the cord. A shocking experience.

Despite being rejected by her mother as a kitten, jumping 40+ feet from a tree into my arms, electrocution and more she lived to be almost 18. I miss that crazy little cat. She loved Christmas, she would climb up into the tree and sit.

Lazy I assume. If I see a stroller or other indication of a baby I won't ring, just knock lightly.
To e fair it's not just Amazon, UPS and US Postal Service, when delivering packages just drop them at the door, take a picture and leave. In my opinion, letting folks know you dropped off a delivery would help cut down some of the porch piracy. Obviously, the crooks following the Amazon truck or the UPS truck are going to still be a problem.

Good question. UPS and FedEx always knock (no bell), and some Amazon drivers cannot read. I have a sign on one of my doors that reads "Amazon, Please use other door", yet still get packages delivered to the wrong door. They tend to be the ones in the gray vans.
My instructions are "please deliver to the side door, thank you" my security cameras show it is the Amazon van drivers who regularly ignore my instructions.

In their defense they often have over 200 stops to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back