Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Day Lady & Gentlemen
The climate has changed again up here in the "other" California. The record for December snow up on Donner Pass is going to hit 200" smashing the 1970 record of 173" if my memory is right, and we are at 153% of average. Last summer climate change was causing "spontaneous combustion" on every corner and we were warned that we will be drinking from a muddy hoofprint next summer. All the highways have been closed over the Sierras for a couple days while they try to find somewhere to blow the snow to. The last storm dropped lots of heavy wet snow that broke branches & toppeled trees onto highways and power lines and yesterday 30K customers just in my Nevada County were out of power, mostly above 2000'. No problems here at 1400' except my trainroom is too cold to do anything in it but drink hot chocolate with a shot of schnapps. Might get a dusting here tonight.Just saw U.S. 50 just opened but the speed is sloooow. I-80 still closed. Train stuff, here's a pic of the poorly planned sugar mill and some rolling stock that belongs in the "bin"
IMG_1145.jpg

Good afternoon Y'all. 46° and cloudy at the Jersey Shore. We returned home from our Christmas visit to my son's in Northern New York. It was a very nice visit, with lots of great traditional food. Slept well last night, so I guess I was tired.

I was surprised at the volume of posts I missed during my short hiatus from the forum. No way I could digest all of them.

IBKen: Sorry to hear about the wife coming down with Covid. Happy that the prednisone did its thing and she is breathing better. That stuff will, (at least temporarily), cure what ails ya. Considering the proximity, it is wise for you to be tested, even though you had the booster and are showing no symptoms.

Willie: Thanks for posting more photos of your structures.

Guy: Nice to see you posting photos again. Guess it's a tad chilly up your way.

James: That's a nice unit...Fortunately for modelers, GE rarely changed body styles on improved models of the same series. So a C-30-7, with home road details and a few minor mods, could pass for a C-36-7. Body styles didn't change until the Dash 8s came out.

Dave: Nothing wrong with that sugar mill. Saw some video of the Cali snowfall. Wow! That's a lot of snow. Preferrable to wild fires and drought. Stay safe, stay warm.

C&O #14 - Plymouth MI - 12-1962.jpg

C&O Passing through snow covered Plymouth MI, in 1962.

Good Afternoon all! Another warm Dec. day here in Houston.

I spent most of the day replacing the battery in the wife's CRV. It's not just undo a couple of clamps, take one battery out, drop a new one in make up the clamps and call it done. I kept a charger on the cables so the memory wouldn't be lost. Swap out the batteries, and then drive the car for a couple of miles to get all the sensors back in sync.
I did manage to complete Swanson's Lunch counter. Taking a little guidance from Jaz, I moved it closer to the industrial area. I think it looks pretty good.
1640730164334.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

Good chilled evening from Wisconsin. I am about 70 miles west of Greg and I didn’t and don’t enjoy snow falling. It started at around 10am and hasn’t let up. It was supposed to end about now but so far it is still falling.

About 11 this morning the son got a message from the airline his flight would be delays 45 minutes from Madison Dane County Airport to Dallas Fort Worth. 5:15 moved to 6. He was realistic about it as we figured it was coming. His comment was now you know why I love my plane. He could have left either earlier today or yesterday. But he doesn’t enjoy flying alone, he had no co-pilot available and his girl friend might have threatened him if he flew alone. It’s a one stop flight in his plane from Austin to Madison. She was pretty much the one who insisted he fly commercial. Anyway at 6:04pm the plane was taxing to the runway. He doubts they can make the connection in Dallas to Austin.

Stock Market yesterday. The financial wiz (Terry) and the son were day trading yesterday. Rarely does Terry do that but the son, yes he day trades. Terry has a screen from Bloomberg that tracks the stocks and the son wants that screen now. No clue what they were talking about but he has access now to her Bloomberg thing and was super excited.

I need to cut back some of my online presence. The sleep deprivation has caught up to me and I am a anxious mess. I cannot live on 3-5 hours of sleep. If I checked that it may not even be that much since 11/30/2021. While not an in person visit I do have a tele visit with my endocrinologist on 12/31/2021 and was in the lab this morning for lots of vials of my blood. So, I maybe missing but will be checking in occasionall.

TomO

Good evening gang

Got home after work, wife had a registered letter from the IRS in her hand. After reviewing the return, and checking with the IRS, yes, my error. I misread the final statement from my broker last year when doing the taxes. There goes $700.00 bucks out the window. Well, I suppose it could have been worse.

Seq 4 composite Baseline Edited.JPG

A little photoshop fun on the old club layout. My Midland units on Bob M's module, with the mountain enlarged to life size with Photoshop

Good evening Shop Dwellers.

As always, I appreciate the expressions of support from all of you!

Only have time for a brief news clip tonight. MOH appears to be improving, her energy level was up today and she was back to doing "normal" things like sewing patterns on a quilt, picking parsley from her garden, and other mundane stuff. Still has a cough though, seems like that cold symptom often has a tendency to linger.

That's the good news; bad news is that now my #1 and #2 daughters both have covid, as well as my SIL (who has NOT been vaccinated!:rolleyes:) Luckily my wife had a stash of covid medicines that she squirreled away, which she had me bring over to their house this afternoon. These are the medicines that, if administered early, can greatly reduce the severity of the sickness and [hopefully] keep them out of the hospital. She's seen how well these medicines work with her patients, but I don't want to go into any more detail than that because I don't want to accidentally spread any misinformation.

As for me, nothing has changed - but I find any place to get tested. The places that require appointments have no openings for the foreseeable future, and the random walk-in/drive-thru places run out of tests unless you camp outside their doors all night to be at the front of the line. I got to my testing place 15 minutes after they opened, and was told they didn't have any more test kits. I'm NOT going to camp out for a test unless I start having symptoms!

Karl - I feel your pain, tenfold - literally! In tax year 2016, MOH cashed out one of her IRAs but didn't think about the tax ramifications (nor did the company managing her fund), and we ended up owing $8,000 to the IRS. I don't remember if I shared about that here or not, but we had to make a few lifestyle changes to cover the loss.

(Geez it's almost midnight, why am I not in bed!?)

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Good morning everyone! 39 with patchy fog heading for rainy and 48.

Hoping for a much better day today than yesterday was. Work was so bad yesterday I could have easily walked out and never came back. One of the worst things there is always the schedule. No one seems to give much though to making sure we have proper coverage. They gave our "sister department" person a short day yesterday with no one to replace him for 4 hours. That meant I got to cover my department and his too, both of which each have two separate areas so I was covering 4 areas by myself. Needless to say, once the other guy left at the end of his short shift the place just blew up with people needing help and the phone was ringing off the hook. So many people want to call to see what we have instead of just getting off their butts and coming in to shop. You tell them if you have what they are asking about and then they want to know everything else you have like it in detail, which I simply do not have the time to do on the phone with more people actually in the store needing help. I let my assistant manager know I was VERY unhappy with how things were going yesterday. By the time I got home I was absolutely exhausted.

The good news is today is my last day before my 4 day weekend. Gonna be nice to not be anywhere near that store till next week. We're having Christmas with my parents and sister's family on Saturday. Otherwise, no real plans.

@TLOC Take care of yourself my friend. That's definitely not enough sleep for anyone.

Hope you all have a great day!

Well, howdy there internet cafe people and those digging out their autographed pics of Don or Harry

It's Troy again

MIL news: she's out of hospital and back home. Wife is with her for several days. No idea how long.

And I was going to get new tires for the car yesterday, but that got put on hold when I learned she was going to be discharged. I rescheduled the 12:30 appointment to today. One more day of very worn tires won't make a difference? right?

Had a fun time picking MIL and wife up from the hospital at almost 5 pm (4 hours after I would have had new tires), then driving south for what should have been 45 min.

The drive into the boonies only took an extra half an hour due to our first winter weather plonking down right then. Two-three inches of snow in the city, that turned into freezing slush just south. MIL's house was the warmest and only had cold rain, not freezing.

I should have got new tires... but we made it safely. MIL is home again, and has her insulin pump mostly straightened out. Wife is there to help keep her on track.

MIL Diagnosis = unknown cause of her lethargy, mental fogginess, and general blahness. The main doc this time seemed to be the Neurologist. Fortunately no signs of recent strokes or other issues they can pin this on.

Wife asked if the symptoms could fit a long covid case, and explained that MIL had a month-long flu like infection back in May (post 2nd moderna shot.) She even delayed the 2nd dose by a few weeks which should have helped with developing better immunity... but she's in her 80s, which means waning immunity to things like this...

Doc raised not one, but both eyebrows and nodded. A lot.

Unfortunately, that "no, it's just a cold..." sentiment kept MIL from ever getting tested. I mean, she had the shots, right? Can't be Covid.... Right?

Hindsight says it probably was, but there is no way to go back and check.

Doc authorized a home-health nurse visit (not sure if it's weekly or daily). Problem is, she lives in the Styx. Very rural. Which limits the number of HH Nurses available for that area. Second issue: HH Nurses are already in short supply.

In other news, I'm about two weeks behind on writing this book. I need to put the nose to the keyboard, fingers on the grindstone, or some such, and start wording the words.

Then I go get new tires for the chariot at 11 this morning. I'll be sure to take the computer.

Morning all,

Chilly 25° this morning with a high in the 40's. Then the next 2 days we get to warm up to near 60°, before the next front drops us to a high of 20° on Saturday with snow and\or a wintery mix. Low Sunday morning in the single digits, and then the temps bounce back up to upper 40's-Low 50's at the start of next week. The older I get the less I like winter...

Not much else this morning. I have a day off on Friday for New Year's and then I have to work 2 full weeks before the next Holiday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back