Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Thanks, all of you, for the expressions of concern regarding my wife's Covid affliction.

. . .
@IronBeltKen Sorry to hear about your OH having the rona. Hope it continues to not be overly hard on her. I know when I had it I felt pretty terrible and the fatigue from it held on for months.
. . .
Thanks Ken! The prednisone she swallowed seems to have had the desired effect, it reduced the inflammation of her pulmonary tissues so that now she can breathe normally; her laryingitis has also resolved.

. . .
IBKen - I'm sad to hear the bug has come amongst you're family. Prayers that it is only a brief and harmless illness, and departs you're world in short order.
. . .
Thank you Guy, I think the severe reactions afflict mainly the unvaccinated and maybe a microscopic fraction of those who've had the vaccine. So hopefully she won't be in that unfortunate minority. As for me, I'm either covid-negative or asymptomatic; also I'm the only one in my family who's had the booster.

. . .
IB Ken - Take good care of MOH. I see that she is up to date on vaccinations, surprised at no booster though, as I believe you had once posted that she is an MD.
. . .
Willie, she's unfortunately been reading too much of the negative literature about the vaccines and decided she was going to hold off getting the third jab. Since she is an MD and knows a few docs who outright refused to get even the 2 primary doses, I'm not in much of a position to argue with her 😒. But if her employer starts requiring it, then she'll get it.

. . .
IB Ken- Prayers for your wife.
. . .
Much appreciated, Curt!

Well, since I work 80% from home and don't have any symptoms, I couldn't legitimately claim a 'sick' day - so I dutifully remoted-in and sat at my work station until 5pm. Tomorrow I'll go to the Timonium fairgrounds (same place where all the quarterly train shows are held) and get myself tested for covid. If the test comes back positive, then I'll claim the rest of the week as sick time. I want to save my vacation time for actual "fun" activities!

As for mrr-related stuff, I drew up some private roadname decals on my computer and printed those, to be used on my SW7 repaint project. Still waiting on the Tamiya paint I ordered to arrive...

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Good Evening!

I'm very sad to say, we made the list!
Dec 27-2021.png

Suppose I'll put on my extra thick flannel pj's, and hide in the warmth of extra quilts until morning.
Have a good night!

TOM = They are former G-ment workers! One hand knoweth not what the other does! LOL!
It's a very complex question to answer.
1. The flights were scheduled months in advance and tickets sold for travel.
2. Pretty sure that many pilots are not Vaxed and many may be off due to being sick. I am not sure what the current policy is for them working.
3. a flight may be arriving from another a/p and the departing crew for the departing flight is missing a few necessary folks?
4. The arriving crew is likely out of duty time/hours to depart again on another flight which would wreck their monthly schedule creating more problems down the line.

Back in another age - I can remember the company did whatever they had to do to meet demands shuffling crews and planes all over. I think that today the system, arrivals, departures, parking, gates, cannot handle it.
TWA was a pretty large carrier - we had 3600 pilots .. Not sure, but I think United today had 25-30 thousand. I was snowed in on a flight to Hartford, CT on a 707 ( 3pilots and 4 stews) and we were there for 6 days; the crew schedule completely lost track of us.
Thank you I appreciate the information. It just seems so wrong.

TomO

Spent some train time yesterday, running my Eurostar for an hour or so, and sorted out a few alignment issues where the track crosses over the board, as one side has been vertical for a few weeks it does seem to go out of whack by a mm or two, tried sorting out my lights by the turntable, but can't seem to find the right resistor, either it makes no difference or they simply don't work, which is weird, as all the other DB's have the same resistor fitted and they are working ok.
Had a quiet day today, nearly, daughter is staying with me for a few days, but I live in a one bed apartment, so she's in my living room, on a inflatable bed, which sprang a rather large leak last night, woke up with her ass on the floor, she was not impressed😢 Today is a Bank Holiday, so had to order one online, but replacement wont arrive till Wednesday, so she can either go home (her apartment is 40mins away), or she's on the sofa for the next two nights.
Got the F45 converted to DCC, then promptly dropped the motor and broke the female UJ, so that's u/s until I can find a replacement part here in the UK. And finally remembered to finish off my log load for my one and only flat car, think it looks ok.
View attachment 137693View attachment 137694View attachment 137695
The night scene with the lights on is very impressive.

Only had one person come out for the toy run today. He got a couple of Scale Trains locomotives for Christmas and needed to program them then run em with a long train. He picked the auto rack string.
The attached video here is a few minutes of that train running on the D&J Railroad.

Very very impressive! Love that bridge (as well as the whole layout!).

Good morning all! 41 and rainy heading for 49 and rainy today. Sitting here drinking my coffee and really wanting to just go back to bed. I'll be needing a lot more coffee Flo. Gotta work today and tomorrow and then I have a 4 day weekend! Then I go back and work a week followed by a week of vacation that I needed to use or lose. Nothing much to report here. Hope you all have a great day!

Only had one person come out for the toy run today. He got a couple of Scale Trains locomotives for Christmas and needed to program them then run em with a long train. He picked the auto rack string.
The attached video here is a few minutes of that train running on the D&J Railroad.

🤩One very impressive layout, I'm very jealous, and 31 cars, wow. ( yes, I did rewind and count them)

Well, howdy there internet peeps

It's Troy again.

No new modeling news to report.

MIL is doing better. The neurologist took her off the new pill that we suspect was giving her fits. Also, she had a near-dead battery in her insulin pump.

Gotta tell you about her. Seems she was driving up to the big city to visit her sister about 10 or so years ago. County roads in the snow belt can be fickle. Without a stray deer or two, most farm fields allow the snow to blow and drift across roads. This loose snow often hides ice on the roads.

Even though the county snowplows hit the roads, it's still a surprise when a thin layer of drifting snow is hiding a sheet of ice. She was surprised by the spinning big white delivery truck that crossed the line and caused her car to come to an extremely abrupt halt. She's very lucky she kept both her feet. But her ankles are now fused with rods through them.

So, her walking is a slow shuffle. And the kids and hospital staff learned that she's one tough lady. Said she was off the pain meds faster than they've ever seen. The kids joked about her pain tolerance, but she provided it yet again. One iron lady.

That has physical therapy at the hospital concerned. They've kept her for another night at the hospital, and PT will be around again this morning to see how she's doing with getting her strength back. She may be referred to a rehab facility for a week or two.

But, this has given the caseworker and the daughters the excuse to start talking with mom about not living soooooo far away. We'll see how this goes. But it's easier for mom to sell the family homestead out in the styx and move closer to the daughters, losing the 1.5 acres of yard to maintain, etc.

We'll see if that happens.

Oh, and I'm still giving even odds that at least one of the sisters starts talking about canceling the cruise.

Back in business, folks! I loaded an operating system onto the new hard-drive, and I'm back to using my own PC. It's got a nice new 1TB solid state drive in her. - There were a few times I was wishing Patrick was my next door neighbour.

I'm so happy for the success, that I thought my first posted photo with the new hard-drive, should be the first photo I ever took of a train. Here's the photo from February 13, 2020:
View attachment 137711
That photo is from about the same time I joined the forum.

Tomorrow morning, coffee will be on me. Have a good one!
Guy: Sorry I couldn't be there!!! Also your photo was taken on my birthday, how's that for a coincidence.

Got home last evening and got some family news. One of the wife's cousins passed on Christmas due to brain cancer. The cousin was in the local area and his daughter went to school with the kids.

I also lost an uncle due to complications of Covid. He also had other underlying medical issues. My uncle was my aunt's second husband and they were married about 25 years or so. Didn't really know him very well as I'd only seen him a couple of times.

On a better note: We got a little bit of rain overnight and into this morning. Just enough to make the roads slick due the the oil on the roads start to run and cause havoc...Temps in the mid-40's and going for a high of 63° before a cold front comes through later this afternoon. They are talking a high in the 60's on Friday and a high in the 20's with snow on Saturday. Any snow we get won't last as the ground temperature is still in the mid 40's. Then back above freezing on Sunday.

Good Morning!

I would take that list with a grain of salt. I can assure you Cape Hatters was not -67C yesterday, or any time in recent history.
Terry - I know the Carolina's don't get that cold. The truth is, I take all weather reports posted in the media as general embellished hog-wash. I didn't see Whitecourt hit -37; but, I did see it hit -32 on my personal outdoor thermometer. - The media, however, was reporting it as 'colder than the north pole', 'coldest it's been since 1971', and 'if you're under 50, you've never seen a Christmas this cold'!

It's enough for me to know, that it is 'Cold'! Really, really 'Cold'! And I don't want to play outside.

Good Morning!

Terry - I know the Carolina's don't get that cold. The truth is, I take all weather reports posted in the media as general embellished hog-wash. I didn't see Whitecourt hit -37; but, I did see it hit -32 on my personal outdoor thermometer. - The media, however, was reporting it as 'colder than the north pole', 'coldest it's been since 1971', and 'if you're under 50, you've never seen a Christmas this cold'!

It's enough for me to know, that it is 'Cold'! Really, really 'Cold'! And I don't want to play outside.
As we say in Minnesota: "Cold 'nuff ferya?" We're hitting a cold snap, too. 9F ( -12C) at 0700 local. Another 2 inches of snow this evening.

Wife has a bad flu. Started feeling tired Sunday, awoke during the night feeling horrid. Phone consult with a doc says, "Flu" not the 'vid. Started her on Tamiflu yesterday. Got her Chinese for dinner, and she enjoyed the won ton soup mostly. Bad body ache and headache, scratchy throat, dry cough, bleah. Hopefully it breaks today. She does NOT like missing work.

Me, I'm enjoying some down time post-Christmas. Now, back to work on that track plan . . .

Good Morning everyone!

As I've said, I got my laptop PC running. Not totally perfect, though.
Some of the keyboard keys don't do what they say on them. The @ symbol don't work on the @ key, and the (") key don't work either. If you want either of those symbols, you must press each others key. - I'm betting that would screw-up the smarty-pants that know how to type with any more than two fingers, and don't have to look at the keys.
The machine does what I want it to do, though; which is store and edit photos, and allow me to access forums and email. That's all I need.

Also, I was looking through all my backed-up rail photos that I've taken over the last 2 years. I selected a few of my favorites to move around in this laptop during the tryouts. Now, I know you've seen them before, but, I thought it would be nice to post some prototype rail photos in a group.
Here's a small selection of unedited photos, that if studied, one can see there is a great deal of railroad information contained within each.

Pic 1.JPG

Pic 2.JPG

Pic 3.JPG

Pic 4.JPG

Pic 5.JPG

Pic 6.JPG

I need to repost photos taken at warmer times, because there's no way I'm going out there with a camera in these current frigid conditions.

As I've been talking here, I've noticed that my repaired PC don't know how to spell anymore. Suppose I'll have to manage with a 'stupid' PC for awhile.

Have a great day!

Good morning from the very chilled So Central portion of Wisconsin. The world maybe ending this afternoon. Seems the area might get 4-6” of white stuff and the TV weather guy is so filled with joy it is sickening. Sunday night we got maybe 1.5 inches at the homestead. That was the first flakes of the year.

My endocrinologist at 10:55pm last night via the UWHealth systems MYChart said she ordered more labs. A completely different set compared to the labs of 12/16. I see her on 12/31 via the tele visit system. So a step in the right direction.

The white gifts falling from above may cause a disruption in getting the son out of here. He has a 5pm flight.

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back