Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got done with a second round of gift wrapping for my 2 kids. The wife was there so did not get her stuff wrapped yet (well, one or two items were done in pass 1 last week). There were not that many things but it took a while. I am a ho-hum mediocre quality wrapper. But the job gets done. As usual, I went over budget.

No train stuff this year under the tree but I did buy a few firearms parts that were on a good sale that help me complete some projects. There are a few Japanese train sets and some KATO Japan made German and Swiss sets I'd like to get, plus a few European sets, but they have to wait this year.

On the house front, the pic below is from yesterday's hour or two of lunch hour / afternoon work. Where you see a 7th layer going up, it is because the main floor joist hangers span across from the 6th layer to the 7th layer. In the garage area, where the suspended precast prestressed slab goes, there won't be a 7th layer, except between the living arfea and garage, I'll have to split the blocks in two and just put up one side, with a small piece of wood form wall to make sure the floor joist hangers get covered in concrete but leaving the top of the wall free for the slab. (After the slab and floor joists arfe in we'll build higher with blocks and more concrete will go in above that area so any parts that are filled just to handle floor joist hangers will get filled in later).

I was going to not do anything on the house today as it was supposed to rain and I had day-job work to catch up, as I am supposed to be off from tomorrow until Tuesday Jan 4. But the rain was delayed, and some sun peeked out, and it was mid 40s, so I decided to go up and do a few things instead. It is supposed to rain and/or snow through next Wednesday, at a minimum, so I wanted to get stuff done before that happens. Lickily it is not straight snow 24 hours a day. Just a chance each day for rain and/or snow through Wednesday or longer.

I ended up being up there 3 hours or more until it got dark. I added another 6 or 7 blocks to the 7th layer, cut rebar and installed it in one wall section, etc. The lumber yard dropped off a block of floor joists (18' x 12" -- 22 qty) which we'll use first to attach to the walls to make them straight and true and then they'll later get reused in the floors. The problem is they laid them across the side walk, so tomorrow I have to go up and untie them, make a "bed" for them from some pallets I have, and move them off the sidewalk. I'll wrap in a tarp to keep them dry. WIth 5-7 days of rain/snow coming they'd get soaked otherwise, which is not good for them.

View attachment 137523
House is coming along well,keep notes build a model afterwards :)

It is that time of the year again.
Christmas temp is predicted at 74 degrees F tomorrow.

Attachments

• christmas ac.jpg
    christmas ac.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 52
Had to walk by the train yesterday, got “derailed” from what I was supposed to be doing and stopped to look over the process, how can I not? lol Was looking at my industry spurs and decided to dig out my old buildings, man are they in bad shape😕 20 years in storage and a few moves, they look like they are earthquake victims. Trying not to spend too much money (I know it’s inevitable though), hopefully I can refurbish some of these, unfortunately my skill level is lacking so hoping I can use some of DJs tips and tricks and return them to some useful models. If anyone else has a suggestion I am all ears 😉
Again pop up picture, I am happy to look and the likes of Willie who does lots of buildings and mods may have some too.

I didn't although I have both Tier 1 & 2 because I worked 13 years on the RR and 30 in high rise construction and other jobs.

View attachment 137560
My uncle was a security guard on a building site, one night burglars gone in and went after the crane for reasons unknown they sound the wrecking ball which at no great speed hit my uncle,he never had short memory after that and pretty much relied on his old memories, he was. Obviously;ensioned off, his wife was a cow,his kids ok the daughter cared but had her own family, when he died my dad paid for his funeral as they did not have a penny to fly with,I remember him when I was a child he was a nice funny guy, my dads favourite sibling. I think you were surprisingly lucky for small mercies.

Wishing all a Very Merry Christmas!
I am going back to building my boat! The bottom fell out of a few clouds last night and this morning.
I have not seen this much water fall from the sky in a dozen years -- the sun just came out for a sneak peak and quickly hid from another approaching cloud bank, more rain is expected!
I bet the trains are needing lots of help getting up Cajon today and using lots of sand!
The temp is 56F with snow level at 4000'. We needed it badly!

#1 son is back at home, in Apache Junction, AZ, but very weak; I am thankful that he is on the mend - for now! I DID NOT say a thing to him, but I bet he sure wishes he had received a shot now?
MOH just found out the #2 G.Son was at a party and exposed to Covid! Now she is in panic mode again about us getting tested again? I am a little concerned as well as she plays "home nurse" with her Mom. I figure that it is just a matter of time before one, or both, of us comes down with it. From my viewpoint there is too much going on with all the family members all around other people for us to be exempt.

TROY - The bathroom redo looks very nice.

Last edited:
Don't be embarrassed, we all started somewhere and learn/n't by our mistakes, that's how we got better at it. I've got my own fair share too.
Hell I can post my early work, I am not ashamed of it either it was a learning curve, I upped my game, learnt about how to get better and better, only really lucky lucky buggers hit the ground running and do not make mistakes and do not go through a learning curve, as long as you improve or find that which makes you happy, for instance=tance sone people want a replica of their childhood layouts,they have no plans to try for realistic they want a representation, either of their childhood layout or the childhood layout they would have like, and I respect their choice, and sone do really great DCC layouts not realistic but my god they look fun.

And the nice looking buildings, no hard slog like Santafewillie, I bought boxed pretty building,pop on the layout and admire. Money not talent.

Attachments

• 82292CA9-AD9B-448E-A687-635080B09694.jpeg
    82292CA9-AD9B-448E-A687-635080B09694.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
  • D892D592-9391-4B50-B072-796B834B7F9A.jpeg
    D892D592-9391-4B50-B072-796B834B7F9A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
  • 93AEEDE3-0271-47ED-8F29-BFF0E110EA64.jpeg
    93AEEDE3-0271-47ED-8F29-BFF0E110EA64.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 0315978A-B380-4641-8A8D-74E40400AC2F.jpeg
    0315978A-B380-4641-8A8D-74E40400AC2F.jpeg
    449.4 KB · Views: 61
Afternoon from the new computer!!!

Took a few hours to get sorted. Seems Microsoft, Dell and McAfee (Already removed) all wanted to update the same time I wanted to start installing my programs.

Already connected to the work machines and there's a lot less lag.

Christopher: My real early stuff is lame as heck and even my newer stuff is nothing to really cheer about.

Christian: Blank slate! I love it...there's lots you can do with that.

BTW: If I don't get back on, Merry Christmas everybody!

The reason I like this coffee lounge so much is because I do not see people judge, they look for the positive,offer helpful advice when possible no snarky comments, seeing the best in people and sharing their bad blows where some cares enough to offer condolences, I tell you you do not see this very often. I can and produce some photos of creditable work,but pop up a Dalek or similar and some stick up their xxxxxxx have a total fit and want to get into it, one time a whole bundle turned on me when I put it up on a realistic thread,then others who rarely post came out of the woodwork show cases where there has been in reallife full size Dalek sand other promotional models, dinosaurs for one, I won the argument but by hell the top modellers who had been nice to me were really really shitty, and I just thought stuff you you small minded nasty little shixx. And ‘I am ashamed to say UK forums are often the stick up their xxxxx and US are much more friendly, Europeans may be but I can’t follow the conversations, and then I am as bad because I often see their layouts and think them quite p,asticky, so don’t throw stones at greenhouses unless your perfect, and I think the only perfect person was crucified…..Christmas the perfect time for goodwill to all men and women.

edited….sorry about the stood on cardboard box rant, but picking on an individual i]to my mind is totally sxxxy

Hell if we had a worse piece of work ever competition I could probably win hands down lol…..oooh oooh I entered a rust competition, well it was open to interpretation I misunderstood,there were so few entries I actually got a prize I think the prize giver either felt sorry and laughed so hard I got a consolation price, he meant a railway rust item my entry……a coke can painted ‘railway green then rusted……
ok I was naive :D
real rust his not vaguely like my first attempt, smiles…..learning curve was STEEP

Attachments

• 27577CAF-D2B9-43BE-907E-B25A72F6014C.jpeg
    27577CAF-D2B9-43BE-907E-B25A72F6014C.jpeg
    421.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 9299B9E7-CF9D-4457-BE24-2767401320D6.jpeg
    9299B9E7-CF9D-4457-BE24-2767401320D6.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 91E5DB01-CB83-4765-B05F-8DC62CB13C11.jpeg
    91E5DB01-CB83-4765-B05F-8DC62CB13C11.jpeg
    637.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 9C8FDBDF-FEE1-4D85-8DC2-4D289C5011A1.jpeg
    9C8FDBDF-FEE1-4D85-8DC2-4D289C5011A1.jpeg
    788 KB · Views: 58
Good Day Lady & Gents
Christmas Eve update on my slooooow moving railroad. About a 1.5 years ago I aquired a couple cheap Herpa lowbeds with jeeps. The plan was to make what we call a "west coast baby 9 axle" out of them. Last week, I got busy & its almost done. The Peterbilt found its way into my stocking so I hooked it up and heres what it looks like. Not a lot of time or $$ but it fits on my layout. It will be moving machines off flatcars to the Cat dealership.
Hope everyone has a great Christmas. I really enjoy everybodys contributions here.
IMG_0153.jpg
IMG_1135.jpg
IMG_1140.jpg

My uncle was a security guard on a building site, one night burglars gone in and went after the crane for reasons unknown they sound the wrecking ball which at no great speed hit my uncle,he never had short memory after that and pretty much relied on his old memories, he was. Obviously;ensioned off, his wife was a cow,his kids ok the daughter cared but had her own family, when he died my dad paid for his funeral as they did not have a penny to fly with,I remember him when I was a child he was a nice funny guy, my dads favourite sibling. I think you were surprisingly lucky for small mercies.
When we were on the 38 floor in January it was 2 degree out and -18 below wind chill. They told my partner to start getting the 39 floor ready for concrete and I said, no I'm not going up there. I went home after the wind picked up a concrete sona tube that hit me in the nose. He did what they told him to do, ended up getting frostbit and never worked again, then died 3 months later. When the 2x4 hit me in the head that was the 50th floor and I said, that's it, retired and became a full-time model railroader.
George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back