Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
99% done...

Caulk in sink drain is curing. Will check for leaks tomorrow. This is try # 2 on the drain.

Need to cut a piece of trim for the front of the linen cabinet, and paint to match so it hides the spot with no tile where the old vanity drawer unit sat.

Other than the drain check/repair as needed, I'm done with this until after Christmas.

Screenshot 2021-12-20 at 4.38.57 PM.png

Some of you may be familiar with the Hess Oil Company, formerly headquartered in Woodbridge, NJ. They used to be a major gasoline retailer in the Northeast, and had large refineries in the Virgin Islands (US), and Port Reading, NJ, (adjacent to the Reading and later Conrail's Port Reading Yard). Every year on Thanksgiving Morning through Christmas, they would offer a toy truck, (batteries included), to the public at a reasonable price.

Hess has moved on to exploration and no longer refines or retails petroleum products, but every year, they still offer the toy (this year an aircraft), through the internet.

The Community Volunteer Fire Company, of Somerville, NJ which serves a surviving Hess facility, participated in this year's promotion. Witness Tower Ladder 25.
Community VFC #1 of Somerville, NJ Tower Ladder # 25  12-18-2021 FB Photo.jpg

Could this be a preview of next year's truck?

I guess we can't post Christmas trees then. Sad.
If that's what you think. feel free to not post photos of Christmas trees.
This has been gone over and over and over. Any questions, look back at any number of threads where Bob spelled out what was and was not allowed in plain English. I think in the future, I just won't say anything, let a ton of posts get whacked, and everybody wonder why.

Doin some Christmas shopping today. Kohls and Target are my stores of absolute last resort. The check out lines are terrible anytime of year. It seems like I've bought new cars in less time. And the shoppers at the check outs, they wait till the total is rung up and the cashier reads it to them before they start looking for their form of payment. Thats when they pull their carry all bag up to the counter top then paw through it looking for their purse. Pull that out then dig through that for the wallet, have to put the carry all on the floor then tuck purse under left arm while she sorts through credit cards in wallet then remembers the 10 cents off coupon that's in the purse. Folds wallet and puts that in carry all while they search purse for coupon. Husband stands there, slooped shoulders, droopy eyed, alouf to everything, half watching the wife. She finds coupon but cashier shows her its expired. Puts credit card in reader backward. Cashier realizes somethings wrong and tells her to check the card. Someone in line sets their stuff on counter top and leaves. Woman puts card back into reader then takes a minute to read message with moving lips. Cashier is looking out across the store while woman signs her full name on screen but doesn't tap squarely on OK. Cashier taps it for her. Point of sale machine begins spitting out 8 separate tapes of coupons, adds and receipt as cashier gathers them up and hands the wad to the woman. Woman is looking for her wallet now and turns to husband and asks if he took it. He points to the carry all. She peeks inside then looks back at husband with smirk. She puts her stuff back in order, gathers her stuff and toddles off with husband in tow. Next customer has a return but lost the receipt.

Yes, I weathered that SOO Line caboose to make a rust bucket. I have another one weathered by well know Steve Hurt of Ohio and I wanted one more beat up caboose.

I made some minor changes to the caboose that I weathered. I installed a flashing red strobe at the rear of the car and the lettering SOO LINE are much larger than the prototype letters. Both cabooses started out as Athearn BB models.

View attachment 137265

Greg
Greg. Thanks it looks very convincing

If that's what you think. feel free to not post photos of Christmas trees.
This has been gone over and over and over. Any questions, look back at any number of threads where Bob spelled out what was and was not allowed in plain English. I think in the future, I just won't say anything, let a ton of posts get whacked, and everybody wonder why.
Just seems odd that you post this during everyone posting pics of their trees, what are we supposed to think.

99% done...

Caulk in sink drain is curing. Will check for leaks tomorrow. This is try # 2 on the drain.

Need to cut a piece of trim for the front of the linen cabinet, and paint to match so it hides the spot with no tile where the old vanity drawer unit sat.

Other than the drain check/repair as needed, I'm done with this until after Christmas.

View attachment 137267
Looks good
TomO

Some of you may be familiar with the Hess Oil Company, formerly headquartered in Woodbridge, NJ. They used to be a major gasoline retailer in the Northeast, and had large refineries in the Virgin Islands (US), and Port Reading, NJ, (adjacent to the Reading and later Conrail's Port Reading Yard). Every year on Thanksgiving Morning through Christmas, they would offer a toy truck, (batteries included), to the public at a reasonable price.

Hess has moved on to exploration and no longer refines or retails petroleum products, but every year, they still offer the toy (this year an aircraft), through the internet.

The Community Volunteer Fire Company, of Somerville, NJ which serves a surviving Hess facility, participated in this year's promotion. Witness Tower Ladder 25.
View attachment 137268
Could this be a preview of next year's truck?
That is one great truck. My sister was buying the yearly Hess trucks for our son and then our grandson. Stopped last year. Great items

TomO

Saw that in the far window.

Ceramics must have been the hobby of choice of the ladies back in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Mom went so far that she purchased a kiln. Anybody who came in contact with mom before Christmas for years got a tree.
TomO
My mom went full bore. 2 kilns and literally a full sized pickup full of molds at one point. My Aunt next door was just as bed!

Conversation with my 6 year old son tonight as we were running trains together with my 4 year old.

Me (yardmaster/conductor) - You need to pick up those 3 tank cars and covered hoppers in the yard.
Son (engineer) as he pulls into the yard. - I need to pick up a box car too.
Me: Why's that?
Son: The tank car can't be next to the engine.
Me: You could put them behind the flat cars that you already have.
Son: Ok.

Thanks @djstrains he only watched your video once a couple of months ago. :)

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Thanks everybody for the positive responses to my Sunday post! I'm pretty much recovered from the malady I was dealing with last night. Today was just another work-from-home day so all I had time to do was snap some quick-pics of the stuff I did on Sunday afternoon, those will appear further down in the post.

Sherrell - I'm glad to hear your son is at least conscious and breathing [mostly?] on his his own...that indicates there's a pretty good chance he'll eventually walk out of the hospital instead of being carried out! I second what Tom-O suggested, that you toss away your [justifiable] resentment and just be glad he's on the mend. I think he's already suffered enough by having to spend Christmas in the hospital, no sense adding to it unnecessarily.

. . . I was wrapping the wife's gifts and she came in the bedroom after I unlocked the door and asked what I was doing. It was obvious but I said I'm wrapping your gifts, she says good, don't touch any other gifts-You s**k at wrapping presents. 😒
. . .
Curt - I had to laugh when I read about your wife not approving of your wrapping skills! Along a similar vein, my wife learned certain techniques for house painting from a friend who was into property restorations. One weekend she decided the master bathroom should be repainted, and set everything out for the project. I picked up a paintbrush to help but she said, "No, just let me do it - I'm afraid that you might mess it up and then I'll get ticked-off at you." Hmmm, can't argue with that! So to avoid distracting her, I quickly withdrew to the trainroom...

Troy - thanks for posting that video about the PEX piping, that might be something even I can work with! Our house had all copper piping in it when we first moved in 20 years ago, and over the years we've had ~90% of it replaced with PVC. I've never tried to find PEX in any of our regional hardware stores (HD, Lowes, Ace) but if they carry it, I might get some next spring and replace the copper pipes leading to our outdoor spigots (which we never seem to remember to close off in time before winter).

Here are the photos of the business signs I added to a few of my lineside industries, so my guest operators will no longer have to merely hope they're spotting cars at the right locations. I didn't have time to shrink & crop them, so they're "as-is" directly from my cellphone, warts and all. For a few of them you'll need to click and zoom-in to see the wording on the signs.

First, the pipe & duct supplier:
HoughPipeAndDuctWithCorporateBillboard.jpg

Next, the cement distribution facility:
SummitCementWithDecalOnSilo.jpg

(The decal may appear crooked because of lens distortion, but it looks fine when viewed in-person with your own eyes)

The 84 Lumber warehouse:
84_LumberWithLargeLogoDecal.jpg

(This decal gave me fits as I tried to "snuggle" it down into the grooves of the corrugated siding, but maybe the worn-out-faded look isn't so bad after all?)

The food wholesaler warehouse:
R_T_RifunburyWithNameBillboard.jpg

The propane distributor - I haven't yet made the support frame for the rooftop sign, but it will be a larger version of what you see on the sides of the trucks:
StarPropaneWithCorporateDecals.jpg

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Conversation with my 6 year old son tonight as we were running trains together with my 4 year old.

Me (yardmaster/conductor) - You need to pick up those 3 tank cars and covered hoppers in the yard.
Son (engineer) as he pulls into the yard. - I need to pick up a box car too.
Me: Why's that?
Son: The tank car can't be next to the engine.
Me: You could put them behind the flat cars that you already have.
Son: Ok.

Thanks @djstrains he only watched your video once a couple of months ago. :)
On the NYC Harlem Division a tank car could not be next to the engine or caboose. We sometimes had to bring an empty with us to make sure this doesn't happen. George

99% done...

View attachment 137267
I like it. George

On the NYC Harlem Division a tank car could not be next to the engine or caboose. We sometimes had to bring an empty with us to make sure this doesn't happen. George
His train was running without a caboose because his brother was running 3 cabooses on his train so there wasn't any left. They seem to treat them as temporary passenger cars since I don't have any. Wouldn't mind a couple but their length is an issue. 18" radius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back